Snakes and Scorpions (Malah)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A half-collapsed city of alabaster and gold fiercely governed by Eypharians. Even partially ruined, it is the crown of the desert and a worthy testament to old glories and rising powers.

Postby Kanara Keezheekoni on April 26th, 2011, 3:46 am

Season of Spring, Day 1, 511

Kanara and her brother peered above the sand dune overlooking the ruins of Ahnatep. Both of them were covered in white clay and were dressed in their palest shade of brown to better blend into their surroundings. Even parts of their hair were painted in different streaks to disappear into the desert. Kanara’s fingers twitched nervously as she and her brother lay in the sand. But, even through her nervousness, she could feel excitement running through her veins. She held it in check; it would do her no good to get her energy pumping now. After a few slow breaths, her heart rate was back to normal.

“Finally, it took you long enough,” her brother whispered. She looked at him crossly, and raised her eyebrow instead of asking him out loud.

“You energy level was pretty high, even I could feel it.” He said jokingly earning him a soft punch. A faint blush still rose on her cheeks; she knew what her brother was implying. She had been scared of these raids of the past few years being overly cautious, which was unlike her. Well, by now it was unlike her not to be afraid. She scowled, she didn’t like the way her emotions were changing without her control.

Either way, it had been a while since she was actually excited. However, by now the raids were fairly regular to her. They usually slipped into the ruins in small groups when the sun was highest in sky because that was when the city dweller usually retreated into their houses to get away from the blazing sun. Usually, her tribe also kept to the shades of their tent during this bell, but it was the perfect opportunity to slip onto the guarded oases without getting caught. Once they had successfully infiltrated the ruins, they would make their way to the oases. There, they would collect anything they needed, namely water then split-up and meet back at camp. That way, it minimized their chances of losing their loot.

However, Kanara and Cheveyo were still at the sand dunes, they hadn’t even entered the ruins yet. “Shyke, we’re still near camp.” Kanara muttered.

Cheveyo shook his head, “I don’t know if we can make this one. This area is too busy.”

Kanara let her breath hiss through her teeth. “We should at least be able to get into the ruins.”

Cheveyo chuckled and shook his head, “I think I would rather go hunting.”

Kanara shot him a glare, “I can get in without you.”

Cheveyo grinned slowly, “Can you? Let’s see about that.”

Kanara felt a small, wicked smile tilt upwards. “Deal.”

Without a look backwards, she sprinted towards the ruins. Once she was close to the Pillars of Dust, she slowed down. The suddenly, she sheepishly realized her mistake. She must have looked like a miniature sandstorm running at the ruins. She wondered if she had already lost before she had even begun. Annoyed with herself, she slowly crept towards Pillars.
Last edited by Kanara Keezheekoni on June 7th, 2011, 6:54 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Kanara Keezheekoni
Burning Fire

Words: 19139
Joined roleplay: April 20th, 2011, 4:19 pm
Race: Chaktawe
Character sheet

Postby Kalasshmalah on April 30th, 2011, 2:45 pm

Malah stared at the building in front of her at the edge of the Pillars. A bit run down, but it housed all the equipment she would need in her business. It also had two small, sparsely furnished bedrooms, should she need somewhere to sleep. She opened the wooden door to find all the beakers, vials, tools, tubes, etc. gleaming in the sunlight that was let through. But they're all empty she thought with a sigh. She had no items to sell, yet, but that would change soon. She just needed to find some of the more common desert snakes and scorpions, get their venom, and then make antidotes to them. Simple right? Unfortunately, any animal poisonous enough to require an antidote would be just and dangerous to her. There was no helping it though, so she gathered up her waterskin and a little salted meat into her pack. She put it on so that her white hair flowed freely behind.

The desert sun greeted her with it's usual ferocity when she left the dwelling and it's warmth was always welcome. Looking about, she wondered where she should start looking. She decided to just head slightly further into the desert, to get away from all the people. Malah turned and started to walk into the desert when she saw something moving fast towards the city. A sandstorm? No...that would be bigger... And then as suddenly as she noticed it, it had slowed down considerably. Realization hit her that it had to be a living thing, because she didn't feel and significant change in the wind. Malah slowly went back toward the Pillars like she had forgotten something. Hiding in wait in her shop for the thing to get closer so she could get a good look at it. When Kanara was about ten feet away, Malah stepped out quickly from inside and confronted the girl. Even compared to Kanara she looked quite small, but her gaze was steady and relentless.

"Well well, whatss a Chaktawe ssssneaking around for?"
Kalasshmalah
Taste this please

Words: 33972
Joined roleplay: March 19th, 2011, 11:22 am
Race: Dhani
Character sheet

Postby Kanara Keezheekoni on May 1st, 2011, 3:47 am

Kanara frowned as she made way for the Pillars. As much as she loved her brother, there were times she hated how he could bring out her reckless side. She prayed she hadn’t been spotted, but even she knew that it was too much to hope. As Kanara approached the Pillars, she felt waves of energies flood her senses. It was to be expected, but it still overwhelmed her each time she came near large populated areas. The best way to get inside would ideally be where there were the least people, so she tried to edge towards the place where she could feel the least energy.

Too busy focusing on how to enter; she completely missed the disturbance near her. She didn’t see or sense the small white haired figure jump out at her. A Dhani. She thought immediately when she heard her speak. Feeling surprised and exposed, she backed up, her quarterstaff in ready position. Her eyes narrowed, wary of the stranger in front of her. The Dhani didn’t look like she was going to attack her, just maybe a little smug at catching her. Nevertheless, Kanara wasn’t going to relax her guard just yet.

She hesitated before answering the Dhani’s question.
“Just…exploring,” she said in Common, her voice guarded. She stood in silence for a few chimes, not quite sure what to do. It was not like she could just turn around and leave. So, instead she stared at the Dhani. She noticed the small shop behind her, gleaming with glassware. Curiosity overcoming her suspicions, she finally asked somewhat reluctantly, “Is that store yours?”
Last edited by Kanara Keezheekoni on June 7th, 2011, 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kanara Keezheekoni
Burning Fire

Character sheet

Postby Kalasshmalah on May 7th, 2011, 2:59 am

Malah smiled broadly, though it was an unnerving sight. She had coaxed the desired response from the Chaktawe. When Kanara brought up her weapon, Malah instinctively tensed, waiting for some sign of an impending blow. When the girl began to talk she finally relaxed a little, confident that she would be fast enough to evade any attack made at that range."Jussst exxploring? Riiight." She stated sarcastically, obviously not believing that for a second. I should keep an eye on her...just to be safe.

A bit on unease washed over Malah as they stared down. Just what was she going to do now? Not wanting to invite a raid on her home, yet grateful for some advertising, she replied to the question
"Yesss, it'ss mine. I make anti-venom for thosse in need." Gazing back for a moment she looked at it longingly, wanting so bad for it to be a successful venture. "I don't have any sssuppliess yet though...I was just on my way to find sssome." Looking back to the girl appraisingly, the beginnings of a slightly insane, but possibly rather genius idea took hold of her.

"Chaktawe are good trackersss right? You'd have to be to live out in the dessert I'd think. Ssso how about thisss, I won't tell anyone you're here, and even sssshow you around if you want. In return, you help me find a certain ssscorpion."
Pausing a moment to let her offer sink in, she continued "The one I sseek is known as the Eyktolian yellow ssscorpion. Well...are you interesssted?"
Kalasshmalah
Taste this please

Character sheet

Postby Kanara Keezheekoni on May 12th, 2011, 7:23 pm

Kanara’s eyes narrowed and her body tensed again, it was obvious the Dhani didn’t believe her. She cursed inwardly; she didn’t mean to put the mission in danger even if she was there to explore. She listened tensely to the Dhani’s explanation. Anti-venom. Now that had definitely sparked her interest. Nevertheless, she still stared at the Dhani warily, she felt no sense of trust overcome her. So she kept her position. She noticed the Dhani was also guarded, telling her about her store almost reluctantly. Well, until she took on the look of an insane woman. Kanara shook her head even before the Dhani could completely voice her thought. But then paused midway as the idea took root into her mind. A sense of excitement filled her. Tracking a scorpion was much more interesting than tracking cows. Surprising herself, she nodded unwillingly.
“Alright, you have a deal.”

She kept her staff in front of her in one hand and used her other hand to do a quick search of the region. A buzz of energy hit her senses. As she suspected, she couldn’t sense much other than the people in the city. She shook her head, “we’ll have to go further out.” She turned a little, positioning her body to face both the Dhani and the desert. There was no way she was going to turn her back to the Dhani. Then realizing she didn’t know the small Dhani’s name; she asked,
“What can I call you?” She paused, as if thinking before continuing, “I am Kanara.”
Last edited by Kanara Keezheekoni on June 7th, 2011, 6:52 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Kanara Keezheekoni
Burning Fire

Character sheet

Postby Kalasshmalah on May 13th, 2011, 4:11 am

Worry threaded through Malah as the Chaktawe began shaking her head. My plan will fail so soon? She began to think. However, she was saved from the shame when Kanara agreed. Relieved, but still guarded, she smiled tentatively. This deal was balanced on a razor's edge, and she hoped she didn't get cut. Malah watched patiently as the the girl scanned the ares, before shaking her head. "Further out? Lead the way." A slight smirk wrapped Malah's lips as Kanara turned. She won't show her back to me...smart. She followed the Chaktawe closely, always edging close to her backside. Though she never really tried to get behind her, only to throw her off balance.

"Kanara."
she stated plainly, committing the name to memory. Not because she had any desire to remember the girl, but only because she didn't want to overly annoy her just yet. The Chaktawe had uses yet. "You can call me Malah." She said, not volunteering if it was her real name or not. Her posture was fluid, but she seemed very alert to Kanara's movements, looking for any deception or attempt at attack. "Ssso, where are you leading me? Not into an ambussshh I would hope." Malah said nonchalantly before taking a gulp from her waterskin.
Kalasshmalah
Taste this please

Character sheet

Postby Kanara Keezheekoni on May 13th, 2011, 4:54 pm

Kanara could help but feel unnerved by Malah’s movements. Judging from the Dhani’s expressions, Kanara could tell she wanted the anti-venom badly. But, she still wasn’t convinced that the Dhani wouldn’t try anything. Kanara frowned, making sure the Dhani stayed beside her at least. She knew that the Dhani had the advantage speed wise meaning there was little chance of out running her, not to mention their famous potent poison. Kanara might be stronger, but she would have to be fast enough to attack her before the Dhani could poison her. She vaguely wondered if it would come to that.

“Malah,” Kanara said slowly before nodding. “Then that is what I shall call you.” It is useful to remember the enemy’s name, she though before storing it in her memory. Kanara could feel the tension between them. It wasn’t fear, just an active attentiveness that can only come from a lack of trust. That was completely evident when Malah asked her the question. Kanara shrugged, “Maybe, but if you want to find that scorpion you’re going to have to trust me.”

With that, Kanara left towards the desert, her back completely exposed to Malah. She knew she was vulnerable, but they wouldn’t get anywhere standing there. Besides, Kanara was the one who had told Malah to trust her; this was her sign of trust. If the Dhani attacked her, it would just end in a bloody battle and there was no way she was going to lose. However, if they could work together, then maybe they could get somewhere.
Last edited by Kanara Keezheekoni on June 7th, 2011, 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kanara Keezheekoni
Burning Fire

Character sheet

Postby Kalasshmalah on May 16th, 2011, 12:34 am

Strangely, she found herself satisfied to be called by name. She still by no means trusted Kanara, but there was some common ground now. The girl was no longer some nameless hunk of meat, to be devoured when Malah got hungry. Though, she did look rather delicious perhaps she would prove incompetent and I can have a nice meal. Thinking of what the girl might taste like, she was returned to the present by Kanara's comment about trust. "Trussstt ssomeone I just met? I think not, but if your brethren hide like you do, I'll sssee them miless away. Plenty of time to get away, you sssee." she half joked about it with a slight chuckle.

Regardless of her lack of trust though, she followed at a respectable distance of around ten feet. The girl is either confident or stupid to trust me, either way works. As they traveled Malah kept as alert as possible, gazing in every direction when they peaked upon a dune, before continuing to follow. Even after a while of searching, she did not relent in her looking. I will not fall prey to some ambush! she thought, steeling herself. Thought she grew bored of mindless trekking, so she attempted to start a conversation
"Sso, what were you doing sssneaking into the city?"
OOCSince you're the one tracking the scorpion here, I'll let you decide when/if it's found
Kalasshmalah
Taste this please

Character sheet

Postby Kanara Keezheekoni on May 20th, 2011, 8:52 pm

OOCIn that case, let's add some adventure. ^^
Insulted, Kanara glared at Malah and stalked away towards the looming dunes. She kept her sense alert, intent on catching Malah attack her. But she seemed too wary of her surrounding to attack her. Not that Kanara was going to lead the Dhani into an ambush. She would put too many of her people’s lives in danger. Malah would just have to bite person to nearly kill them and Kanara wasn’t going to take that chance. She would rather fight her alone that to risk anymore of her people. However, reading her energy, Kanara quickly memorized it. It felt vibrant, sharp and smooth at the same time similar to a snake.

As they widened the distance from the city, Kanara began to focus her senses on finding a scorpion. She had never tracked a scorpion before. Recollecting any information her tribe had taught her about scorpions, she stopped at the foot of a sand dune and focused her senses on finding small energy forms. At first she felt nothing, kneeling she quickly plunged her hand into the sand. An overwhelming amount of energy quickly hit her. There were many insects buried under the sand. She would understand why, the noon sun was still beating on them relentlessly. She wondered how they would draw them out if they were underground, but her thoughts were interrupted by Malah asking her a question.

No surprised that the girl didn’t believe her, Kanara shrugged.
“Like I said, I was exploring. My kind isn’t exactly welcome in the city.” She wasn’t sure if Malah would believe her this time even though she was telling the truth…mostly. It wasn’t necessary for the Dhani to know anymore.

Brushing that thought away, she focused on figuring out which energy was a scorpion. She mentally pushed aside the ones she knew like the spiders and beetles that were scattered in her thirty yard radius, leaving a few unknown energies in her mind. After a few moments of thought an idea sparked inside her, she drew Malah’s energy back to her focus and began to compare all the energies. Finally, she rooted out the scorpion by comparing the sharper, stinging part of Malah’s energy to the other’s surrounding her.

“I think I foun-“she stopped, midsentence a chill overcoming her under the noon sun. She felt something pass under her feet. She shivered; it felt like a sand ray. Reaching her senses downwards, she confirmed her hunch. She turned to Malah slowly, wondering if the Dhani had felt it too.

“Running doesn’t seem like an option.”
Last edited by Kanara Keezheekoni on June 7th, 2011, 6:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kanara Keezheekoni
Burning Fire

Character sheet

Postby Kalasshmalah on May 24th, 2011, 8:10 am

Watching as Kanara searched for a scorpion, Malah was overwhelmed by curiosity in how exactly the girl was tracking anything. She had heard talk of some sort of sixth sense they had, that they knew of all that goes on around them. Obviously false, because she had startled this girl not too long before, but perhaps like all good rumors, there was a grain of truth to it. She would carefully observe Kanara this journey not only intercept an attack attempt, but also to try to learn just how much the Chaktawe could perceive. When Kanara put her hand into the sand, she wondered if this was part of the tracking, or if it somehow was already over and it would come up with a scorpion.

Nodding in agreement when the girl answered her, she wondered if it would even be possible to get the truth out of her. Maybe with some torture, but somehow she thought even that might just get lies.
"Yesss, that'ss what you ssaid. But, I wonder, why would you exxplore in the one city you aren't welcome?" Even as she said this, she was resigning herself to another non-answer. Kanara didn't seem to want to share this info in the least, which made it all the more enticing to Malah.

Her breath caught in her throat as the Chaktawe began to announce she found something. Excitement ran hot through her as she figuratively stood on her toes waiting for the rest of the statement. Feeling something pass beneath their feet, she knew now why the sentence came to an abrupt halt. Something was stalking them. Cursing herself mentally for the lapse of judgment, she jumped back and readied her favoured fighting position, though her surprise caused it to be much less fluid then normal. Her arms were brought up stiffly in front of her, hands held into loose fists. It dawned upon her that this was not an ideal style to combat something beneath the sands, but she didn't know what else she could do.

Calming herself down, she loosened her stance and lowered into a half-crouch so she could react as quickly as possible.
"Running is alwayss an option, even if it'sss guaranteed to fail. But let'sss sstick to assssesssing the ssituation firssst." The ray turned and started toward Malah again, this time leaping forth from the sand in a spectacular "splash". Barely managing to avoid it with a quick leap, she shouted out to Kanara while keeping her focus on the current threat, unknowingly leaving herself wide open to some betrayal. "Any ideass on how to fight thisss thing?" The sand ray burrowed back beneath the sands and was lining up for another pass.
Kalasshmalah
Taste this please

Character sheet

Next