Question on Magecraft

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Question on Magecraft

Postby Sira on May 9th, 2011, 10:33 pm

Okay, so here's the question. How many structural enhancements would it take to give silk the durability of leather? Sira would like a saddle made of silk or something like that. Basically a light comfy material that she will hardly feel at all but will be as strong as a leather saddle. I cant imagine it would take more than three levels of enhancement. Maybe 1 or two. Any opinions? And I know it's gonna cost a lot, I'm not concerned with that right now.
Nari | Common
Italics are Telepathic
Sira
Player

Words: 737381
Joined roleplay: July 4th, 2010, 3:42 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Overlored (1) Wind Reach Seasonal  Challenge (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Question on Magecraft

Postby Osami on May 10th, 2011, 1:51 am

This is taken from the lore:

Number of steps Modifier Description
1 Minor The improvement is noticeable to the wielder but others will likely not notice unless they are observant or highly skilled in the use of such an item.
2 Moderate Seeing this item in action will make quite a few people suspect it has been magically enhanced, e.g. a sword that "slices too easily".
3 Greater The item quite clearly has supernatural properties, and it shows.
4 Major The item will leave most people completely baffled, for example a leather vest being able to absorb a good deal of damage from a warhammer.
5 Superior The item totally defies the laws of nature as far as this property is concerned.
6+ Legendary Very few items ever display such improvement levels; these matter when they clash with other Magecrafted items, but they offer relatively

Yet for silk to leather you would just want 1 really. IF you wanted that silk to be more steel then 2-3.
Osami
Player

Words: 24242
Joined roleplay: April 30th, 2011, 4:17 am
Race: Human, Inarta
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Question on Magecraft

Postby Sira on May 10th, 2011, 1:53 am

I was kinda thinking just 1.. but wasn't entirely sure. Of course it will all come down to a mod-decision of some sort in the end, but I'm trying to figure it out in advance as best I can
Nari | Common
Italics are Telepathic
Sira
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Question on Magecraft

Postby Panna Cotta on May 10th, 2011, 2:32 am

Answering the question provided, it would depend on the kind of sturdiness you would like to imbue upon the object. Silk is a far shot from being leather, more likely to submit itself to wear and tear, and that would be moderate structural modification, thereby needing two steps.

But that is because I am in the belief that silk, the real silk, not the synthetic ones available in the modern world, is quite a precious and delicate material for clothing and drapes.

Gossamer would know more about saddles than I do; my initial take on a saddle made of silk, though magecrafted, is that it sounds like a waste of resources. I have ridden my share of horses, and I believe there are a lot of other saddles that does not compromise durability and comfort. Unrequited advice, but maybe you can just ask for a "personalized saddle"? You'll save up on miza that way ;)
Panna Cotta
I'm your Princess P

Words: 320216
Joined roleplay: May 21st, 2010, 2:45 pm
Blog: View Blog (7)
Race: Staff account
Office
Medals: 1
Trailblazer (1)

Question on Magecraft

Postby Sira on May 10th, 2011, 2:50 am

I'm not too worried about costs. And it doesn't have to be silk, just something super comfy, super light, but can hold up to the same stuff a leather saddle could. I also just thought about getting leather and enchanting it to be lighter and possibly softer feeling or something like that. Sira is super picky, hates wearing a saddle to begin with, and has nothing better to do with her large sums of money she makes each season. I also thought of purchasing an animated saddle that would get on and off Sira upon command, or something else crazy. Whatever she does, her saddle is going to be outlandish and unecessary.
Nari | Common
Italics are Telepathic
Sira
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes