A New Start [Jyn]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Not found on any map, Endrykas is a large migrating tent city wherein the horseclans of Cyphrus gather to trade and exchange information. [Lore]

Moderator: Gossamer

A New Start [Jyn]

Postby Sama'el Sunsinger on May 10th, 2011, 6:40 am

72nd Spring, 511 A.V.

Sama'el had run into a bit of a problem. With Dymphna married to someone else and Denen seeking his fortune elsewhere, there was nobody to mind his camp in Endrykas while he was riding circuit for the Watch. One of his colleagues, upon hearing that he didn't want to pack everything up and leave it with the Watch in his absence, suggested he purchase an indentured servant or slave to see to things in his absence. The idea of owning a slave made him queasy, but an indenture would not be so terrible. Eventually word trickled to him of a man who was looking to sell a criminal's bond.

The young Watchman met with this Ankal, learning that the servant had been caught stealing milk for his infant daughter and while Sama'el nodded gravely, his heart went out to this person. A deal was struck, and Sama'el had arrived with both Dohaina, his Strider, and Horse, his Windrunner, in case they were necessary to transport this man, his daughter, and their meager belongings.

As he waited, he considered buying a goat, ostensibly for milk and cheese, but particularly to feed this infant. She was seen as an extra mouth to feed by the pragmatic Ankal, but Sama'el did not worry that she would be a burden. This Jyn would only have to move when Endrykas made its seasonal move, and the rest of the time could be spent tending to the modest camp and his daughter.

Dohaina whuffled his growing hair, her breath smelling faintly of sweet grass. He smiled up at her, patting her cheek. He was unaccountably nervous.
Sama'el Sunsinger
Not all those that wander are lost.

Words: 718167
Joined roleplay: March 15th, 2010, 6:26 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

A New Start [Jyn]

Postby Daejyn on May 10th, 2011, 10:19 pm

Jyn had packed up everything he and Lili owned on Ugly Pony, and Ugly Pony could have easily taken him as well, but Ugly Pony was... well, a pony, and Jyn was a rather long legged young man. He also wasn't much of a rider, all he could do was hold on and tell Ugly Pony which direction to head in. Ugly Pony took these as suggestions, however, not commands. He came around the side of the pavilion, little Lilani tucked in her sling, snug against her back, leading the lightly loaded Ugly Pony, which really earned his name. Its unlikely the Sea of Grass had seen a shaggier, more rawboned and irritable pony in its history.

Jyn himself was dressed fairly simply, a pair of black cotton pants that fit tight across his hips and thighs but were straight cut and loose around his legs. Practically, he had rolled them up to about mid shin and tied them so they were out of the way. His feet were clad in simple leather sandals, and an undyed cotton shirt that laced at the neck and the sleeves rolled up to the elbow. The sling he carried Lilani in was very brightly woven, and criss-crossed his body shoulder to opposite hip as well as around his waist. Lilani's little face visible above the material, cheek against his back. Her one arm was tucked in the other fisted against her mouth as he big eyes surveyed the scene. Her skin was the same olive tone as her father's and her hair just as black, but in curly little puffs. He stopped near the other young man, looking him over, green eyes wary, not saying anything, uncertain what was expected of him.
Daejyn
Player

Words: 14934
Joined roleplay: May 1st, 2011, 4:33 am
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet

A New Start [Jyn]

Postby Sama'el Sunsinger on May 11th, 2011, 4:11 am

When Jyn's employer introduced them, making it all official, Sama'el offered his hand to grasp Jyn's wrist in a surprisingly egalitarian manner. There was a hesitation to his smile as if he were afraid to be judged for entering into any sort of contract where he could be seen as owning another person. It hadn't been all that long since he had been a slave himself, and he knew that leading a pavilion might one day require slaves, but that seemed remote yet.

"Sama'el of the Sapphire Clan," he said. "You and your daughter are welcome in my tent." Of course, it seemed the man had a tent of his own, and winter had passed so they needn't all sleep in the same tent to conserve warmth, but the sentiment was heartfelt. Looking over the man, he seemed about of an age with Sama'el, and already a father. Just a touch shorter than Sama'el himself, it was strange, as if he were looking into a mirror though they weren't all that physically similar.

Once the introductions were made, he indicated his fine Windrunner stallion.

"Horse can carry you two if you want to leave your things to the pony."
Sama'el Sunsinger

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

A New Start [Jyn]

Postby Daejyn on May 11th, 2011, 4:51 am

Jyn returned the shake soundly, although he was wary of the situation, he didn't seem lacking in personal confidence. When it was just himself and Sama'el his previous indenturer having returned to his pavilion, he glanced between Horse and Pony. Apparently naming animals wasn't Sama'el's strong suit either. "How far is it? I don't ride well... Im more like baggage." He spoke common, although his Endrykas was decent and improving by the day, he was still more confident in Common.

He reached back and patted his daughter who was quiet and watchful at the moment. He was more than willing to walk, that was how he got everywhere currently. Ugly pony was more for when they moved camp. The tent he did have was very small, just a one person affair that he shared with Lilani, which was fine for now, though could prove problematic in a couple years. He took the greeting as metaphor though, not expecting to actually literally be welcome in this man's tent, other than to do whatever work he'd been bought for.
Daejyn
Player

Character sheet

A New Start [Jyn]

Postby Sama'el Sunsinger on May 11th, 2011, 5:33 am

"On the outskirts of the Sapphire Clan pavilions," he said, the shrugged, figuring Jyn could do what he liked. "But Summer isn't far, so you'll have to ride Horse north while the pony carries baggage. Might as well get practice now. I'm a good teacher." He smiled, then leapt up onto Dohaina's back, feet finding the stirrups of the yvas with practiced ease.

"I suppose I should let you know why I purchased your bond," he said, sticking to Common since that was how the man spoke. He would find out if he could speak Pavi later. "I'm with the Watch now, and riding circuit a good deal of the time. I don't have a proper pavilion yet, but I have things I have to leave behind always. Horse is one of them. He just can't keep up with a Strider in Cyphrus, though he would give Dohaina here a run for her money anywhere else. I'm not above doing my own chores when I'm here, but I'll need your help. When I'm gone, I'll need you to see to things. But you'll be well fed, sheltered, and I know several healers so you and the baby will be taken care of to the best of my abilities.

"How does that sound to you?"
Sama'el Sunsinger

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

A New Start [Jyn]

Postby Daejyn on May 11th, 2011, 10:32 pm

Jyn nodded slowly as he spoke, both to the issue of riding and to what he said he wanted him for. He approached horse cautiously, tying Pony's lead to Horse cautiously, then gripping what there was to grip of the yvas, and putting his foot in the stirrup, he paused a moment, hoping the horse didn't bolt on him, then pulled himself up onto its back. He moved with a natural grace and didn't seem to suffer any for the added weight of his daughter, though once he was settled atop Horse, he sat stiff and awkward. "And what else is it you want me for?" he asked with a raised brow. Because there was no way it was worth whatever Sama'el for what amounted to a pair of eyes and a warm body. Of course if he was looking for said warm body to warm his bedroll as well, Jyn wasn't inherently opposed... it was just that in his experience, few who were willing to pay you for it, were willing to settle for what Jyn was willing to do.
Daejyn
Player

Character sheet

A New Start [Jyn]

Postby Sama'el Sunsinger on May 12th, 2011, 4:51 am

"What... else?" he repeated, trying to figure out what the man meant. It came on the heels of his repetition and he actually blushed. "I don't need a bed slave," he said quietly. "I just... need someone to help me tend to things."

A haunted look was cast in Jyn's direction, a strangely empathetic look, before he quickly reburied ancient history before it could return, revenent-like, to destroy him. It was terrifying that such things could still be so easily exhumed, but Jyn's question had come just so, and so it was.

"You will be well treated," he explained. "With respect. I have... I have been a slave before... I..." He paused, unsure of his sentiments, let alone his words. "You will be well treated, as will your daughter. Just think of me as your employer. Perhaps... a friend."
Sama'el Sunsinger

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

A New Start [Jyn]

Postby Daejyn on May 12th, 2011, 5:11 am

Jyn cocked his head, looking at Sama'el, a wary bemusement at first, because it certainly wasn't the first time someone had said the exact opposite to what they meant, especially in regards to sex. But his bemusement gave way to surprise at the admission, and no small amount of confusion. He wanted to ask questions, a whole host of them rushing to his tongue, but he restrained himself. Partly because he suspected it would be considered insensitive, second because this man could be lying to him and in asking questions he would reveal no small amount about himself. He couldn't help the flash of sympathy he felt though and Jyn reached back again to touch his daughter, his touchstone in the world.

"Yeah, sure, alright," He agreed with a nod. Time would tell, of course. They were close in age though, and if what he said was true... might have a lot in common as well. "Lead on then. Will Horse follow your mount? Ugly Pony seems to take my directions as suggestions not commands and I don't know if the problem is with me or him." He smiled and shrugged. "I intend to learn, but so far people don't want me to have an easy time getting away, so they don't teach me about the horses." He also had a sneaking suspicion that they didn't want a criminal who thus far had only proved useful as a pair of hands and a strong back to have chance at membership. He got it, life could be precarious out here, you didn't want any weak links. He wasn't about to let that stop him though. He would become accepted here, come fire, flood or rioting in the not-exactly-streets.

"Also... I... I'm not sure exactly what you mean by The Watch?" Because it seemed to have more connotation then just setting a nightly watch.
Daejyn
Player

Character sheet

A New Start [Jyn]

Postby Sama'el Sunsinger on May 13th, 2011, 5:29 am

"Horse will follow my lead always. I liberated him when I liberated myself, and we have been together ever since. We have an understanding, and a friendship." He knew outsiders didn't always understand how a man and a horse could be close friends, but it was true of many Drykas. In any case, Dohaina started off toward Sama'el's untended camp at some invisible command from the pressure of foot or heel or leg. Horse followed.

"I can teach you how to ride. I can train your Ugly Pony as well, make him more tractable." Sama'el had no fear of Jyn running. Horse or no horse, he would likely not survive the Sea of Grass without knowing how to survive the wilds and without a Drykas navigator. Sama'el did now how to traverse the Sea of Grass, and could chart his way with an eye to the Drykas Web, and he hoped that someday, if Jyn didn't wish to remain, he could see him and his daughter safely to Claridon or Syliras that they might start a new life together once his debts were paid to the horseclans through the proxy of Sama'el.

"The Watch? It's the band of warriors who respond to threats to Endrykas and our people. We monitor the Sea of Grass. We keep everyone safe."
Sama'el Sunsinger

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

A New Start [Jyn]

Postby Daejyn on May 13th, 2011, 6:32 am

"I'd appreciate whatever training you can give me... in fighting to if you know any." Because he intended on being able to defend himself and his daughter. He also thought it would be a skill he would enjoy. He was a physical person by nature. "As for Ugly Pony... I don't know that training will stick. I suspect the reason I got him was because he is so stubborn, well, and ugly." He'd needed something for carrying gear, that had been undeniable, and so, Ugly Pony like what other meager posessions he had had been added to his indenture. "Though really, he isn't even mine, he's yours." When he earned his freedom, then Ugly Pony would be his... for better or worse. "So, um, congratulations?" He said, his grin suggesting he was teasing.

"That makes sense, I figured it was more then just, you know, like setting up watch. You must know the Grass Sea very well." Jyn had a deep respect for the wilderness, he and Yaana had made it here from the Zith settlement alive, but that had been 3/4ths luck.
Daejyn
Player

Character sheet

Next