The Hermit and The Spider (Sama'el)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Not found on any map, Endrykas is a large migrating tent city wherein the horseclans of Cyphrus gather to trade and exchange information. [Lore]

Moderator: Gossamer

Postby Leto Sunsinger on May 12th, 2011, 5:25 pm

76th Spring, 511 AV

Awoken in the middle of the night by another horrid dream, Leto sat up in his bed, gasping for breath. Clutching his chest as his heart inherently hurt, he allowed his obsidian gaze to look into the darkness of the tent, and realized that it was almost morning anyways, as the sunlight was starting to shine through into the flaps of his tent. Sighing as he looked towards the ground, he felt exhausted and tired still, but decided that he'd get up anyways. Putting on his leather vest, as well as undergarments and leather pants, Leto would then pull on his leather shoes, and walk out the flaps of his tent.

This time though, the dream wasn't about the incident that had happened when he was thirteen, but rather about a younger man he had met the last season, but hadn't seen since. He presumed the man was busy with what needed to be done to work upon making his own pavillion, so Leto hadn't bothered him in quite some time. But the dream he had just had made him actually want to break free from his shell a bit again, and look for this man that he had met. His name had been Sama'el, and as Leto looked towards Arias, the horse knew what he was thinking, and stood up as it pressed it's nuzzle against Leto's shoulder.

Smiling, he put on Arias' Yvas, and then mounted the horse as he normally did. It was early in the morning, so Leto wasn't sure if he'd be able to find Sama'el, but then again, the sun was just now cresting over the horizon, so perhaps he'd look for a few hours, before giving up the search. Endrykas was a fairly large city, and Leto was sure he'd manage to find this man though. He still had questions he wanted to ask him, and get to know him better. Sama'el had been a decent enough student when Leto was teaching him the basics of glyphing, but he wanted him to be an even better friend, given how he'd never really made friendships with anyone before last winter, when he had met with Sama'el, Denen, as well as a few other people.

He wanted to tell Sama'el things he felt, but couldn't just yet, as he was still making up his mind what his dream had meant. It had been a horrible dream, one that left Leto wondering if Sama'el would truly remember him from the last winter. In the dream, it was simple, Sama'el didn't remember him, and pushed him away, emotionally, when Leto tried to help him remember. Sama'el then said that nobody would ever remember Leto as he was a hermit, and would never be able to form solid relationships with anyone. It had been a horrible dream, and Leto hoped to never have one like it again, therefore he decided to stop his hermitage again, and seek out a friend that he had made the last season.

Leto probably wouldn't tell Sama'el about the dream, but the man would be able to tell that something was wrong with the older man, given he looked like he had little sleep, his face looked exhausted as did the rest of his body. His dark eyes were complimented by unnaturally dark circles, ones that only formed when someone was sleep deprived from the night before. Rubbing his eyes as he rode Arias around the city of Endrykas looking for Sama'el, if he managed to find him, he'd smile, and approach him slowly and carefully upon Arias, still remembering what he looked like, as it was a face he'd probably never forget...
Back again... for a lil longer this time I hope.
Leto Sunsinger
The Glyphing Summoner

Words: 168911
Joined roleplay: January 18th, 2011, 7:04 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet

Postby Sama'el Sunsinger on May 13th, 2011, 4:21 am

Sama'el didn't always sleep in. When he was on circuit. he woke before dawn to tend to Dohaina, to survey the Web, and to do his part to protect the horseclans' great roving city. When he was back within the safety of Endrykas, he still tried to maintain his discipline. Just so, today he had risen before dawn, before even Jyn and his daughter roused from their slumber, and meditated upon his breath until he was calm enough to step outside his body and view the bright glory of the Web within the bounds of Endrykas. It was only before dawn when the majority of people and beasts were slumbering that the flow of information became bearable for his apprentice skills, but it was comforting to look about him and see the pulse of magic that bound his people together and to the land.

His etheric body crawled along the ley-lines of the Web, observing what happened outside of the tents and pavilions. He had been too well versed in respect and privacy to peek into the homes of his brethren. It was pragmatic behavior as well, for all Ankals were able to work the Web and might easily detect him, which would be an embarrassing social faux pas.

It was with surprise and delight that he detected a lone rider he recognized, the enigmatic Leto, wandering through the pavilions as if looking for something. He observed the summoner long enough to guess his trajectory, and then quickly followed the lines of light back to his body. Extremities still tingling, he hurried out of his tent, slipped Dohaina's yvas over her, vaulted onto her back, and shot off to intercept the man in the pale dawn light.

Her hooves pounded into the turf, but he didn't want to shout and rouse people who wanted to cling a bit longer to Nysel's realm. It was only when he was close enough that Leto instinctively turned to see who approached that he grinned, hand raised in greeting.
Sama'el Sunsinger
Not all those that wander are lost.

Words: 718167
Joined roleplay: March 15th, 2010, 6:26 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Leto Sunsinger on May 13th, 2011, 8:15 am

As Leto heard the galloping, he did indeed turn his head instinctively, as he was only riding Arias gently, and slowly, his meanderings through the city of Endrykas. A smile encroached upon his face, and Arias himself turned his head to see who indeed happened to be approaching them as well. Neighing briefly, Leto patted Arias gently, as he saw Sam approach them. Just the person the hermit was looking for. It was almost as if Sam had known Leto was looking for him, or that something had drawn them together, but perhaps it was just Lhex playing his hand at fate, but then again it perhaps it was just luck that brought them together this fine morning.

As Leto's obsidian gaze peered towards Sama'el, he waved back, and allowed his thoughts to rove for a moment. Sama'el seemed genuinely happy to see him, so perhaps his fears of the dreams coming true happened to be misplaced. That didn't matter though, Leto was quite happy to see Sam, even as the sun breached the horizon. "Good morning to you sir," said Leto, the elder of the two, respecting Sam as though he was the elder. Scratching his upper chest a bit, Leto smiled as he looked towards Sama'el, and then asked, "How are you doing today?"

A simple question to start off the conversation, perhaps one to simple for him even, as enigmatic as he could be sometimes. But eitherway, he was happy to see Sam, and would hopefully enjoy the man's presence for the time whilst they happened to be together that day, unless Sama'el was just passing through, but it seemed as though he knew exactly where to find Leto, even as Leto had been looking for him. Either Sam was very smart, or Lhex just happened to truly be interfering with the affairs of mortals. Leto was betting on the former though...
Leto Sunsinger
The Glyphing Summoner

Character sheet

Postby Sama'el Sunsinger on May 13th, 2011, 10:07 pm

"Ho, Leto," he called, and then Dohaina trotted, slowing down to a halt before the summoner and his strider. "Good morning, sir," he said, responding with the same sort of respectful words as the other, though he could not remember them being so polite to each other before. "All's well, all's well. I saw you on the Web and it was the first time I'd seen you out and about since... forever, so I hurried to say hello. How have you been?"

His hand reached down to pat Dohaina's shoulder. She didn't need calming, but it was a little way to say thank you for her speed and willingness to run at his urging at any time, even before dawn. But it was a beautiful morning, and that made up for things, especially now with old acquaintances returned, perhaps to become friends. She whickered amiably and gave Arias a once over. Sama'el wondered if Arias would be a proper stud should he desire to breed Dohaina anytime soon. That was something to think about. He wondered if anyone was on the lookout for a Windrunner stud, because he had Horse back at his camp as well.
Sama'el Sunsinger

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Leto Sunsinger on May 13th, 2011, 10:23 pm

Leto smiled at Sama'el, his eyes looking towards him as he strode infront of him. It had been ages since the man had been out and about. He had mostly kept to himself most of the spring, working on his glyphing, as well as other things during that time period. Waking dreams and whatnot, as his nightmares had returned to him, giving him the visage of looking a bit older than he had before, if not only having grown physically one season older. But as he looked towards Sama'el, something occured to him. This man seemed happy to see him, and so Leto would return that happyness. He was indeed pleasured to see Sama'el once more, as they hadn't seen each other since the practicing of their glyphs.

"Ah, that's how you found me then," he said as Sama'el had spoken of using the web to trace Leto, not that he had actually been looking for him, but had stumbled upon him no less. "Ah yes... about that..." he started as Sama'el asked him how he was doing. "Truth be told, I had actually been looking for you, mostly because I had not seen you since our last encounter, and I thought you might be awake this early... but I wasn't sure..."

A smile crossed his face and he cocked his head to the side a bit looking towards Dohaina. "You're strider is looking fine today," he commented, sure a compliment would go a long way with the man before him. "I have been doing fine though, trying to work through my past, though, I haven't had much time for seeing people, as my uncle thinks that keeping me busy will help with the nightmares i have. He tries, because he loves me, but I am my own man, and he knows that, at least he had plenty of work around the pavillion for me though, it has kept me healthy in some respects..."

A sigh escaped his lips, and then he said, "But enough of things that can't be changed in a hurry... how have things been with you this past season?" As he asked the question, a smile broke through his gloomy visage once more, bringing light to the table again as the sun finally fully appeared over the horizon, lighting up Leto's darkened face...
Leto Sunsinger
The Glyphing Summoner

Character sheet

Postby Sama'el Sunsinger on May 16th, 2011, 1:12 am

Sama'el too had grown a bit older in the intervening time, whipcord muscles just that much stronger from training and riding circuit to protect Endrykas, mind a bit sharper and closer attuned to the Web, the faintest of scars on the inside of his forearms as a barely visible reminder of his initiation into the Mystery of Elements. He was a little older, that was all, but a bit more comfortable in his skin.

"I thought to look for you, too, but wasn't sure how much you would want an illiterate student." He laughed self-deprecatingly. "Happy chance, then, that I saw you this morning when you were looking, too. You are always welcome at my camp. No proper pavilion yet, but I'm working on it. I even have a... ah... a servant to watch over my things while I ride circuit. You should come by sometime, eat, drink, be merry... Or train if you're feeling more serious."

He patted Dohaina's shoulder again, and she pranced a bit, showing off for Leto. Sama'el laughed quietly.

"She's a pretty lady, thanks. Possibly showing off for your dashing stallion there. Perhaps we should consider breeding them at some point?" He smiled, and it stretched a bit thin for a moment before brightening again. "It's been another season. Some good, some bad. The girl I was after... well, I wasn't fast enough. She married someone else. But I suppose that leaves me more time to... get better."

Looking at Leto with his suddenly soulful dark eyes, Sama'el wasn't sure how to invite his confidence. He wouldn't mind listening to Leto's troubles, and commiserating when help was impossible.

"You should come by sometime. We could talk." Never mind they were talking now; it was an open invitation.
Sama'el Sunsinger

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Leto Sunsinger on May 16th, 2011, 11:19 pm

Leto smiled as Sama'el began to speak. Illiteracy didn't equate to stupidity, at least in Leto's mind, and therefore he didn't mind teaching him. Sama'el seemed to be quite wise for a person so young, and Leto would take that to heart. "I do not mind that you're illiterate, perhaps that will be something we could work on together in the future, if you're interested in it," said Leto with a grin. He himself wasn't very learned in much more than runes, and how to read them, so perhaps they could work on it together for learning's sake, if either of them were ever interested in it at some point in time. Leto loved knowledge, and everything that came with it, and he'd strive to learn as much as he could whenever he could.

As Sama'el also spoke of his pavillion before Leto had answered him upon the illiteracy, Leto nodded with his dark gaze and said, "I would not mind coming to your camp, if you do not mind having me," he said, accepting the invitation from Sama'el to come to his camp and talk. It was then that Dohaina pranced around a bit, and Leto listened to Sama'el as he spoke of breeding her to Arias. The summoner nodded once more, and said, "I do not think Arias would mind that at all, he seems to have taken a liking to you two... As have I." and with that Arias neighed a bit agreeing with Leto's statement, almost as if he understood the words spoken.

It was true, Leto had taken a liking to the younger man, but would not openly admit how far that liking had gone. If he was indeed having dreams about him, perhaps there was something to it, perhaps not, only time would tell to see where their friendship would head. When he spoke of the girl he had been after being after another man, and married to him, Leto thought of consoling him about it, but decided against it as he didn't know how deeply the two of their relationship had gone. "I am sorry to hear that," he said, his eyes downcast towards the ground a bit. He actually felt a bit of pain that the man had lost his lover to another man. For some reason this hit home with him, even though he had never had an experience with a lover, be it male or female. He had never grown that close with anyone as he was a bit socially awkward and inept.

But in a way he felt jealous, that Sama'el had actually made that connection, or so he thought, with a person. He wouldn't speak of it, as it would be awkward in general, but he allowed a smile to brighten his face once more as the open invitation was extended. "If you'd like, we could go there now, as i'm not actually planning on doing anything serious today..." he said, a hand patting Arias as his obsidian gaze looked towards Sama'el, a man whom he'd hope to form a blossoming friendship with. Perhaps this would be their first steps into actually getting to know each other, not as student and teacher, but as friends, and hopefully age wouldn't matter as Leto was far from mature for his age, having never grown up properly with his family having been torn apart when he was younger...
Leto Sunsinger
The Glyphing Summoner

Character sheet

Postby Sama'el Sunsinger on May 19th, 2011, 4:27 am

Sama'el wasn't really embarrassed about his illiteracy, so he just smiled and shrugged it off. He wasn't adverse to learning more, but it seemed like the Watch required he learn so much that sometimes he needed a break.

"I think it would be good to have someone to practice Webbing with. And you know about Glyphing, which will help with origins. But not today. Glyphs will give me a headache today." He grinned. "Come along. My camp is sort of on the outskirts of the Sapphire Clan's territory. When I have a real pavilion, I'll have more pull... then I can camp closer to the resources. Or perhaps I'll just start drawing dummy summoning circles around camp... make people nervous so they make way for me." Still he grinned, mischief in his eyes.

While they were underway, Sama'el made no bones about looking Arias over, taking in his strengths and weaknesses. He had never been in charge of breeding horses, but he was Drykas and had spent his years of slavery caring for horses. There was enough knowledge in his skull to make a good start of it, and chances were, he'd have the knack of it. Serena and Ulliver Windmount in Syliras had certainly thought so.

"Are Arias sire and dam still living? Siblings? Half-siblings? I should start researching his bloodlines because I don't know the first thing about Dohaina's... She came out of the teeth of a Cyphrus storm..." He patted her neck affectionately, much more comfortable talking about the only lady left in his life than the other one. "But she is old enough to breed if Arias wines and dines her." He smiled at Leto. "I like you too. You know the Mysteries and you are generous with your knowledge and patient."
Sama'el Sunsinger

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Leto Sunsinger on May 22nd, 2011, 11:55 am

Leto nodded as Sama'el explained where his camp happened to be. When he spoke of the dummy summoning circles, a smile broke through Leto's dark demeaner, and he laughed a little about it. It made him happy that Sama'el did indeed remember him, and that his dream was just that, a dream, and nothing more. When Sama'el asked about Arias' bloodlines, Leto nodded, and then said, "Truthfully, i never really paid much attention to the bloodlines, but I do know that his sire is still living. His dam was killed about a year or two ago during a glassbeak hunt..."

His voice trailed off as he said glassbeak, the memories of the giant creatures that had assaulted him and his family suddenly fresh within his mind again, his dark demeanor returning somewhat as his obsidian gaze looked onwards into the sky. Turning his eyes upon Sama'el once more, he said, "Arias' sire happens to be my uncle's strider, and his dam was my aunt's. They made it out of the hunt okay, but lost her strider during it unfortunately... That's really all I know about their bloodlines, most of Arias' relatives have departed this life... My family never was one to keep a large herd around..."

Nodding as they continued to ride, Arias neighed a bit, knowing Leto was speaking of his family, and his eyes even seemed sad when Leto spoke of the dam's death. But he just continued to trot along, not making any such noises, other than the occasional neigh, and glance towards Dohaina. If a horse could smile, Arias' would certainly be smiling towards the female horse that was accompianing him, Leto, and Sam. Leto patted Arias gently, and the horse raised it's head high and proud. "Arias is a good strider, a little overzealous sometimes, and lazy other times, but that's all apart of his personality," said Leto.

When Sama'el told Leto that he liked him too, Leto's heart fluttered a bit, and he blushed a little, his face brightening up somewhat though. The line of a smile grew upon his face once more, but he didn't say anything further towards it, as he was a bit embarrassed. He knew that Sama'el enjoyed his company, and that was enough to keep Leto content for the time being. He wouldn't act on his feelings of having a crush upon someone, even if they were younger, until he knew the feeling was entirely mutual. That would take time, if it ever happened, which Leto didn't expect it to, given Sama'el seemed more interested in women, and that was fine too, since it was what a Drykas was supposed to enjoy. All of these reasons compiled into Leto's mind, and that's what made him blush briefly before he recomposed himself, and Arias let out another generous neigh towards Dohaina...
Leto Sunsinger
The Glyphing Summoner

Character sheet

Postby Sama'el Sunsinger on May 23rd, 2011, 2:01 am

When Leto was done talking, Sama'el's dark eyes were gleaming with both compassion and empathy. He wasn't crying exactly, but feeling Leto's pain. Feeling his own pain. The story, though lacking in detail, was similar to his own, and cut like a knife searching for his frantically beating heart. After a few moments of silence, he laughed at the apparent simpatico between their mounts. With limited options due to his lack of stature in the breeding community, Arias looked like a gift from the gods. Leto too, another friend to look up to, who made Sama'el better than he had been before they met.

They road side by side, and Dohaina's tail flicked sharply across Arias' flank in some form of equine coquettishness. Sama'el's hand reached out to grip Leto's forearm in understanding.

"I'm sorry," he said with the tone of voice that made it clear that he too was a survivor of violence against his family, and a sufferer of loss and shame. He paused, letting that sink in. He understood. Then he moved on with a lighter tone and more humor. "Not that we have a choice in the matter, it would seem. He might mount her while we're chatting by the cookfire," he said, laughing. "I'll have to pay you a stud fee..."

The grin transformed his whole face, turned on Leto gaily like the shining of Syna upon the land: warming, sustaining, good.

"I just bought the bond on an indentured servant. I needed someone to take care of things while I'm riding circuit. Most of the other Watchmen have pavilions that can tend to themselves, but I can't take Horse with me on most circuits, and while I love our people, there are still thieves. He's not much of a cook, Jyn, but I can fix us something if we get hungry. I'm not a master chef either, but... well, yes."
Sama'el Sunsinger

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Next