Winding trails (Sama'el)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The Wilderness of Cyphrus is an endless sea of tall grass that rolls just like the oceans themselves. Geysers kiss the sky with their steamy breath, and mysterious craters create microworlds all their own. But above all danger lives here in the tall grass in the form of fierce wild creatures; elegant serpents that swim through the land like whales through the ocean and fierce packs of glassbeaks that hunt in packs which are only kept at bay by fires. Traverse it carefully, with a guide if possible, for those that venture alone endanger themselves in countless ways.

Winding trails (Sama'el)

Postby Ragnor Matlian on May 19th, 2011, 5:15 pm

(60th of Spring, 511 A.V., Sea of Grass)

He moved silently among the camp, the low embers of the fire had long snuffed themselves out, and a single stretch of cloth on the ground that had been used to place the food from the nights meal. Of course he had no use for food or these more worldly goods, but the man he was traveling with did. They had met up by chance many days back, and now after another chance encounter they were en route to Endrykas on business for the man, and a chance for Ragnor to find others who would like to help him in his cause.

As much as he longed to meet his final rest, he wanted even more revenge on his killers and aid for his wife. It was what drove him, and made the pain all the much more bearable. As time went on he grew to accept those things he no longer could enjoy, and became more focused on what he had to do as he came to understand more, and more about his condition. If there was one thing he learned from his death, it was to be patient.
Last edited by Ragnor Matlian on April 10th, 2014, 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ragnor Matlian
Player

Words: 62821
Joined roleplay: March 27th, 2011, 11:25 pm
Race: Ghost
Character sheet
Medals: 1
Donor (1)

Winding trails (Sama'el)

Postby Sama'el Sunsinger on May 20th, 2011, 4:25 am

They were making good time, but Sama'el had developed a habit for waking up in the wee hours before dawn when riding circuit, especially since he could rely only upon Dohaina for this solo trip. All the same, the ghost had followed them rapidly, and he wanted to believe that the shade was trustworthy. Certainly ghosts didn't need sleep.

The camp wasn't much. He was traveling light and it was warm enough he could sleep under the stars. With a quick glance at the Web, he could spot any sort of storm coming from far away so he only woke with the morning dew upon him rather than any sort of heavy precipitation. Clearing his throat and rearranging his morning wood, he got up, having gone to sleep fully dressed, and poked at his meager fire. They were bigger in Sylira where there was wood to be had. Fire was a more dangerous tool on the prairies where trees were scarce and wildfires a very real threat.

"Still here, I see," he said, a smile in his voice. "Good morning, Ragnor." That said, he began to look into his morning meal, something light that wouldn't make him sluggish when he would be riding a Cyphrus Strider galloping full tilt toward home as soon as the light was better for sure footing. Dohaina herself had been grazing all night, a mouthful of grass here and there, but she would pull a deal of energy from the Web in order to send her whizzing through the air like an arrow.

"I'd offer you some food, but I don't know what ghosts eat." This was said sincerely, without any hint of malicious humor.
Sama'el Sunsinger
Not all those that wander are lost.

Words: 718167
Joined roleplay: March 15th, 2010, 6:26 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Winding trails (Sama'el)

Postby Ragnor Matlian on May 23rd, 2011, 3:34 am

He applied more concentration to his materialization to show a smile at the man's greeting. It was always nice being among such pleasant people and served to keep him soothed for longer periods of time. Kindness from near strangers was always welcome, and Ragnor wasn't afraid to meet any new people.

" Good morning, how does the day greet you? " he asked courteously while pacing around the camp for the sake of seeing himself do so. " No looters came by, so my watch over you was thankfully uneventful " he added as he mused that it would have been quite good for him in life if he had a ghost to watch over him in his sleep. He quickly shook those idle fantasies from his head and looked again towards Sama'el a smile spreading across his lips.

It was a fleeting smile as most where these days, but it took a bit extra of his concentration to constantly adjust his face that he rarely bothered to make himself to appear smiling unless he really felt it inside. " To be honest Sama'el, I don’t quite know what ghosts eat either, I suppose nothing, I have yet to learn of such a thing since my death " he said suddenly spurred into contemplative thought at such idea. He remembered only vaguely the ghost stories he had heard as a young man, grizzled old sailors spreading tells about apparitions appearing to gain energy through mists made by Spiritists. Ragnor had no idea how such a mist was conjured, nor any idea on exactly how helpful it would even be. Still a nagging thought made him think it might be prudent to the conversation they were having.

" When I was alive I heard tales that those who practiced Spiritism could conjure a sort of substance that aids ghosts. I was still young at the time so I put no stock into such tall tales, but maybe if we ever come across one we could put it to the test " he said, not entirely sure that it prove true but figuring it might one day be worth a shot.
Ragnor Matlian
Player

Character sheet
Donor (1)

Winding trails (Sama'el)

Postby Sama'el Sunsinger on May 24th, 2011, 4:25 pm

The young Drykas stretched, cat-like, and rubbed his face awake. He glanced at the pregnant pre-dawn, darker than night but with the promise of light. He yawned and got about the business of a cold trail breakfast. Ghostly guardian or no, travel across the Sea was dangerous and he couldn't afford to lollygag.

"It's not yet morning, but... a bit to eat and I'll be ready to ride. Thank you for watching over us. I can sleep a bit more deeply knowing you're around to raise an alarm." He took a bite of a trail biscuit, chewy and malleable. "I don't suppose you want a more permanent arrangement as my nighttime guardian?" His smile was easy, his jest friendly. Any spirit that remained behind had business, and he was sure it didn't involve guarding a Drykas Watchman for long periods of time.

"I met such a shaman on the road to Syliras once. I suppose I could ask someone when I return to Endrykas. I surely owe you a meal or two by now."
Sama'el Sunsinger

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Winding trails (Sama'el)

Postby Ragnor Matlian on May 26th, 2011, 12:30 am

He smiled softly, concentrating on his materialization to reflect his gratitude of the offering as realistic as he could. Ragnor still couldn't manipulate his image just right yet, but at least he was getting better at it as the days passed. The way he materialized now made him feel like he stuck out like a sore thumb, and then there was the whole concentration thing he had to worry about, lest he lose his image and possibly ability of speak, but he hadn't really tried speaking without projecting yet. He didn't really want to try it either figuring Sama'el didn't want to look like he was talking to himself, and might find it rather unsettling talking to thin air. Materialization, as he had learned the name of what he was doing, was very taxing on his energy levels, and when he energy was on the wane, he didn't feel like doing much of anything except resting and he didn't really like that feeling, not much at all.

The man's simple question also came back to his thoughts, even though formerly he had discarded it to the back of his mind because he figured it to be nothing serious. Still he felt that it deserved and answer and floating around to the other side of Sama'el, he stared off into the horizon while thinking of his response. " I would have no reservations about serving as your guardian my friend, but I am a guardian of Sanctuary currently, and my allegiance lies with them " he said, his voice coming softly as he talked, and with a thought he bent his legs, giving the appearance of a man crouching down next to him. " I have no doubt you would see me well taken care of though, and I thank you for the offer " he added after a moment of silence between the two, and he kept his eyes on the horizon seeing that the man's expression about it not being not quite morning yet, to be true, and even then he could only see traces of the coming dawn over the horizon. It would be a beautiful sunrise this day, he was sure and it saddened him to think he would not be blest enough to feel its warmth this day.

His form flickered for a brief second as a wave of emotion broke his concentration, but he quickly recovered, more used to regaining his concentration by repeated trials by now. Steeling his gaze once more, and shrugging off the sense of loss from his mind he made his image rise while slowly looking towards his traveling companion. " You owe me no such thing friend, your company is enough and it’s the least I could do for helping me get back to the Sanctuary many days ago " he responded, a genuine sense of gratitude once more covering his face.
Ragnor Matlian
Player

Character sheet
Donor (1)

Winding trails (Sama'el)

Postby Sama'el Sunsinger on May 26th, 2011, 3:37 am

"Well," he said, "all that remains of my family are ghosts, whether they walk like you or have gone on to their next incarnations. So I suppose I'm helping you with the hope that someone might do the same for them. And besides, you were almost as lost as I was at the time..." He grinned.

Slipping Dohaina's tack and yvas onto her with practiced ease, he quickly packed up his things, covered his small fire with earth, and loaded the Strider with his things. He was very low impact when he traveled, and a tracker might spot signs of him, or an animal smell his passing, but for the most part he left it the way he had found it. Before mounting, he went down to the ground, doing a few push ups to get the blood flowing all through his body. His arms did little work while riding, and he didn't want to get weak. Next he flipped his center of gravity up into a handstand with his knees bent, then slowly extended them above him.

The Strider ignored this until he was vaulting onto her back, weight distributed between his hands on her back as he swung his leg over and got settled into her saddle. Normally he guided her without his voice, but today he clicked his tongue to start her walking in the direction of the tent city.

"We'll walk while she warms up her body," he told Ragnor. "That will make it easier to talk if you're of a mind."
Sama'el Sunsinger

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Winding trails (Sama'el)

Postby Ragnor Matlian on May 27th, 2011, 2:04 am

Watching Sama'el prepare his horse for riding was so foreign to Ragnor, a man of the sea. Never the less it was interesting to watch, even though he thought it was too much work to ride a simple animal and way less fun than riding aboard a ship. I mean who wants to ride a smelly beast all day with nothing to do but stare forward he mused to himself, while watching him prepare himself. The man's strength impressed him, and he would have made a fine sailor if he had gone down that path. Discipline after all kept you alive at sea.

As the horse started in a slow trot, he easily willed himself to float beside Sama'el, watching the coming horizon almost as much as he was watching the man aboard the horse, and he smiled at the mans courteousness. " I can move at whatever pace you do, it is all just a matter of will, but this does make it easier to talk and understand the words I agree " he said as he watched the magnificent beast trot along, and he floated a bit higher so he was at eye level with Sama'el. " So what draws you to Endrykas? " He asked softly, quite curious as to the details of his visit and his purpose for going there.
Ragnor Matlian
Player

Character sheet
Donor (1)

Winding trails (Sama'el)

Postby Sama'el Sunsinger on May 27th, 2011, 6:40 am

Perhaps, someday, if Ragnor ever brought up the sea and ships, Sama'el might tell him about the quest for a shipwreck that ended up with a surly Isur getting struck down by the holy hand of Zulrav before his very eyes, but perhaps that story would be told on another day. Sama'el's body moved in time with Dohaina's easy gait, and even someone who knew little of riding would see with what mastery he adapted his body to whatever gait Dohaina took. They moved as one.

"Endrykas is home," he said. "Remember, I was in Riverfall to deliver messages. Now I return home with the replies. I don't get to read either, but I hope it's all boring stuff that means no trouble for either our peoples. They didn't seem all that upset when I left, so perhaps we will remain at peace with the blue men.

"Can you disappear and reappear in, say, Syliras? Because that would be a fine trick. I've heard that many ghosts haunt a specific place, or person, or family..." He was, perhaps, just making conversation and not necessarily attempting to glean information from his ghostly companion, but he could not help his curiosity.
Sama'el Sunsinger

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Winding trails (Sama'el)

Postby Ragnor Matlian on May 30th, 2011, 8:05 pm

Ragnor floated silently for a while, measuring the man beside him while listening to his words. The man was an experienced horseman probably as experienced a ride as he was a sailor, and he found that he respected this man even more. Life out on this side of the world was just as hard as it was up in Avanthal, and in respect to being in a new environment he kept his mind open. In some way, life here was comparable to life in frozen north, of course much different climate wise, but it takes a certain amount of mettle to survive out in the wilds for any stretch of time. From the looks of things, this rider beside him spends a good portion of his time out in this dangerous terrain.

" Aye well I hope the dispute, if that’s what it is, is settled peacefully for you and your family " he responded with a soft smile, as he kept pace with the man. If the horse broke out into a full gallop, he would not be able to follow like he was, and most likely not at all unless he decided to travel in the other mode of travel that he found more than a little unsettling. Still he could be here for conversation with Sama'el for the time being.

Ragnor smiled as he heard the man's question and he found it question quite amusing. That would be quite the talent to have, and if it was possible Ragnor likely would be in Avanthal right this very moment, seeing how things were going with his family. It was not the case of case as through numerous trials he had tried and tested the limits of his speed of travel, and while he figured it was faster than a flesh and blood human on foot the progress was still very slow. " Ah if only it was so, I could travel the world in a single day " he joked and he offered a soft smile to Sama'el.
Ragnor Matlian
Player

Character sheet
Donor (1)

Winding trails (Sama'el)

Postby Sama'el Sunsinger on June 2nd, 2011, 1:53 am

"Ah, well. How do you move, then? I mean, if you disappear like ghosts do... Do you move as fast as you would walk? Do you flicker along some paths hidden to men? Or... or perhaps I should not be asking these questions." He considered the wisdom of asking a ghost about the afterlife, or at least the afterlife when stuck on Mizahar without going through the cycle of rebirth or transcending it the way some had. Ghosts had a purpose, a grudge, a reason to remain behind when Dira urged them onward.

"Sorry. I suppose I don't know the proper etiquette for speaking to the deceased. If ever I offend, do tell me, but I hope you'll know I don't mean to do so."
Sama'el Sunsinger

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Next