There's a fire inside of us... [Kendall Saarinen]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A city floating in the center of a lake, Ravok is a place of dark beauty, romance and culture. Behind it all though is the presence of Rhysol, God of Evil and Betrayal. The city is controlled by The Black Sun, a religious organization devoted to Rhysol. [Lore]

Postby Sareth Nitrozian on August 5th, 2011, 7:35 pm

61st of Summer 511 A.V.

If you walk from The Nitrozian Plaza in a northeastern direction and choose to follow a stretch of road between a large (Nitrozian owned) warehouse and a couple of unassuming hovels, you will chance upon a convention of three different roads, one from the east, north, and west.

Each of them has a bridge across a small river to a tiny island garden. Two willow trees hang their long branches like hands over the water that cirle the island opposite the north bridge, as if they are thirsty for the dark and rather sick liquid. An old but useable wooden bench is in the northeast corner, and a small statue of some long-forgotten noblewoman stands watching the garden from the other clad in fine garments. Common yet pretty flowers littered the garden floor around the Cobblestone Crosspath, as well as some weeds though someone in the houses nearby seemed to keep it tidy.

All of this was deserted but for one figure, in fact this little wonder was pretty much unknown because of it's position away from most everything of interest to the people of Ravok, hidden inbetween warehouses and the rear side of busy people's homes. No coincidence, Sareth had chosen this place for it's solitude, though also partly for it's beauty. It was not a bad place to be or bring anyone for leisure, and he'd done so on more than one occasion. The willows were pretty illuminated by both sun and moon and it never failed to get people's attention.

Sareth was sitting on the bench with his longsword leant against it on the left, quite visible to anyone approaching. His good hand was outstretched in a way that would hide the scorched one from anyone approaching the island from the east. He looked down at them both with intense concentration, and attempted to will his Rhes to manifest. He was almost trembling, and shook his head trying to clear his thoughts of the memories of pain and terror that had haunted him ever since his experiment. Perhaps it was his body's way of defending itself, perhaps it was actually just fear; but ever since he had burned his arm his magic had failed him. He had slowly become better, become able to create Rhes again but somehow the ignition itself still escaped him.

He whispered an elaborate curse, and then took a deep breath. He could feel the Rhes flow inside of him yet there was an instinctive reluctance to let it go; as if it was blood that he could control and losing it would mean pain and suffering. He breathed out, and forced the Rhes to emerge; causing a tingling strange sensation as it crawled up through his throat and emerged in the form of his signature dark smoke. He willed it to crawl inbetween his hands and form a small orb, the smoke following the pictures in his mind slowly and hesitantly, as if something was holding him back. He frowned, and the orb formed slowly turning around it's own axis like a vortex. It was very small, but there was no need for anything grand.

He pulled away his left and burnt hand, the dark smoke creating small lines towards it only to draw back into the rest of the circle in his free hand. Holding it still was hard for some reason, and he felt like throwing it away yet forced himself to lift his hand in the air, palm outwards. He stared intensely at the orb, his mind imagining it flying away from him, and then...

"Ignite!"
The orb continued it's pathway through the air, the edges of it beginning to dissolve into small loose strands.."
"Ignite..!"
The orb did no longer look much like a round object but more like a small octopus with a tiny body and a thousand flailing black limbs.
"IGNITE!"
The orb dissolved completely, the darkness fading into the afternoon sun as if it had never been, ignoring the desperation in his voice completely.

It was no use, he was still unable to call upon the fire. He was a failure, and he seemed to be unable to remedy it. He dropped his head and just sat there, unawares of anyone approaching.
Last edited by Sareth Nitrozian on August 6th, 2011, 10:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sareth Nitrozian
Better than you

Words: 15126
Joined roleplay: July 7th, 2011, 1:36 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Kendall Saarinen on August 6th, 2011, 8:52 pm

OOCDon't forget to Timestamp ;)
Kendall was slowly getting used to Ravok and it was somewhat clear to see on his face. He looked uncertain in his strolls down the street, almost as if he was scared that someone was going to attempt to jump him. He wished that Hadrian was at his side as he walked alone between the warehouses. The blond worried that he might walk somewhere where he was not supposed to and get detained by the Stryfe. To him, there was something more vile waiting on the streets. Something he had to face, he just did not know when.

The worst of Kendall's strange prolonged anxiety seemed to be over. He had left that back in the Wildlands. The Azenth still found himself with the tremors or even flinching at a flashback. He was getting better though. He needed to remember that.

After a bit of walking Kendall found himself on a bridge, heading to a small island. The blond could not deny that he was intrigued. It seemed like an island of peace in a land of chaos. Kendall wondered for a moment if he was even allowed on the island. From what he had heard, this area was owned by a powerful Ravok family. Gathering a bit of courage he walked toward it. Something in him made him feel as though he should calm a bit but as of late, anxiety had become part of who he was.

When he stepped foot on the island he smiled lightly as he looked around. It was beautiful. The feeling of wonder started to slip from him when he saw that no one else seemed to be there with him. "Oh Gods, I was right. I'm not supposed to be here." He felt panic rushing up in him as he looked around, hoping no one saw him in the garden. A voice seemed to split through the silence of the garden, making Kendall jump. This was when his eyes fell on a man sitting on a bench, his hands seeming to be smoking. Kendall knew he probably should have kept his distance. He did not know the person and for the love of the Gods, his hand were smoking! Kendall had become comfortable with fire and all of it's attributes, including smoke. He should have kept his distance but he walked forward, intrigued by the man with who seemed to me speaking to the smoke over his hands.

A closer look showed Kendall that the man was not talking to smoke but Res, albeit dark colored Res. He had never seen Res take on such a color. What really intrigued him was that the Res did not seem to be cooperating with the man. After what seemed like a few failed attempts to transmute the Res the man gave up. Kendall's mouth opened to call out to him, wanting to help. He held himself back, instead staying silent. He walked forward to where the man was sitting and quietly spoke up. "I saw you where having issues…um." Kendall blushed as he found he could not think of what else to say. "Sorry, I didn't mean to intrude on you. I was just looking at the garden." His mismatched eyes flicked from the man to the ground nervously. "You were saying ignite. Are you a pyromancer?" Kendall usually was not this talkative but he had already trampled into a conversation with the man and if he could help him maybe he would be less upset about him interrupting his solitude. He bit his lip nervously before looking at the man again. "I am too… I could help you… If you wanted." Kendall did not know why he was offering his help. Possibly it was because of how close he was to the fire. Or maybe, just maybe he wanted to find a friend in someone who played with the same element as him.
"I'm burning and I'm blacking my lungs.
Boy you know it feels good with fire back on your tongue."
-Ryan Ross

Kendall Saarinen
Like John Allerdyce but hotter

Words: 595666
Joined roleplay: November 6th, 2010, 1:04 am
Blog: View Blog (1)
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Medals: 1
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Sareth Nitrozian on August 6th, 2011, 10:30 pm

OOCThanks! Completely forgot.He instinctively reached out for the longsword with his black hand when he saw someone approach; but when he looked up he relaxed and retracted his hand. This was no thug or assasin, his words were slow and nervous yet kind. Well, kind in intent perhaps though the accusation of him having trouble, despite the truth of it, was quite painful to listen to.

Sareth wasn't sure how to respond, and eyed him curiously as he spoke. "A pyromancer?"
"Yeah.. I am." He was strange. His eyes were different colours and he was very handsome. He was also strangely nervous and friendly, young men rarely approached stranger's their own age and offered help in such a sincere way. Queer.

He was a Pyromancer too? This he had to see. He surely didn't seem like a fiery personality, at least not right now. That thought made Sareth smile as he finally looked up at him and tried to stop him from fidgeting with a firm look.
"Or perhaps rather, I was. You think you can help? How exactly can you help a Pyromancer who can no longer even start a fire?" His bitter words didn't match his smile, he sighed and looked down at his burnt hand that he moved to rest in his lap.

"You see this? This is why I find it difficult to call upon the fire." He still smiled, as a humorous answer to the bitter irony of his situation. A pyromancer who couldn't make fire was the height of irony. However, irony would bring him nowhere and self-pity would only dig him deeper down in the hole he had fallen into. He got up supporting on his good hand and offered it to the stranger, seemingly calm again.

"Sorry; I'm abit on edge these days. My name is Sareth .. What is yours?" The pause had been an instant of thought; he didn't know who this man was or why he was here, so nothing would be lost by not offering up who he was just yet. Furthermore, one could never be too careful of giving out information in secluded areas alone with strangers. Who knew what they might do with it.
Sareth Nitrozian
Better than you

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Kendall Saarinen on August 8th, 2011, 3:14 am

Kendall watched the man, taking in his aura. He still was not extremely skilled in reading auras but he could tell that the man was upset and a bit uncomfortable when alerted of his presence. Kendall was not sure what to say to the man. He knew what he wanted to say. "I think I can try."

Nervously, the blond walked forward toward Sareth. "Have you tried mediation?" Kendall worried that this question might have been redundant. Most magic users practiced mediation. "I didn't for a while but my… friend taught me to meditate and it helps, at least for me." Something told Kendall that it was not a good idea to tell everyone and their brother about the mage that was his lover. He had mentioned something about being undercover once in the city and he was not sure how well he fit into that disguise. Kendall did not look like he belonged in Ravok. He was too… soft looking, although he had practically jumped down the throat of the last person who called him such. There was a fire in Kendall, and a fierce one at that. Lately it was quiet due to the events that transpired in the Wildlands. It was not that he was emotionally defeated, he just needed to recover.

Kendall looked at the man's burned hand and then back at the man's face. "Is it that you cannot get your Res to transmute or that you cannot get it to come out?" He bit his lip again nervously. "If that is not too much to ask." Although Kendall had been away from the university for a year now he still could not help the need to figure things out and learn more.

"Oh…, not a problem. I suppose I am too." Kendall didn't suppose, he knew he was on edge. Of course, he seemed to be one the more nervous side of things. "I'm Kendall." He was not sure what more was safe to say. He was scared in this city and the remnants of his strange anxiety attack still left him a bit uneasy.
-Ryan Ross

Kendall Saarinen

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Medals: 1
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Sareth Nitrozian on August 15th, 2011, 4:31 pm

"Allright, Kendall. My problem is that I cannot make it transmute, it feels like I am going to die whenever I attempt it, both physically and mentally. Through practice, I can form the Rhes again but I am unable to shape it." He looked up at him with a questioning look. "I haven't really practiced meditation, perhaps you know of a particular way to meditate?" The young man still seemed uneasy. He didn't seem like someone who could be of assistance, perhaps he had someone after him or wasn't from Ravok. There was a touch of some dialect to his common, and he kept biting his lip.

After receiving any information on meditation, Sareth asked a question before attempting them. "Kendall." He held a little pause for effect, then smiled a friendly smile. "Is there a problem? You seem nervous..?" He tried to sound earnestly concerned, although in truth he was just curious. At least from his demeanour he was pretty sure this man wouldn't be any trouble.

OOCSorry about the delay and the short post. I'll try to do better.
Sareth Nitrozian
Better than you

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Kendall Saarinen on August 20th, 2011, 12:01 am

Kendall's brow furrowed as he looked at Sareth. While he wanted to help the man he was a bit scared to help him. He did not want to seem strange in his explanation of meditation, although he was sure he was already coming off a bit strange. He motioned to the space on the bench next to Sareth. "Do you mind?" Assuming that the man allowed him to sit Kendall would begin to explain meditation.

Sareth's question only caused Kendall to feel more nervous, although he tried to hide it. He did not want the man to think there was something wrong with him. He did have a lot of social anxiety. In Syliras it had not been as bad. He was more comfortable there. In Ravok he felt as though everyone wanted to mess with him, even if in actuality he was probably ignored by most of the Ravokian population. "I'm fine. I just get nervous at times. Meditation will help." He breathed in slowly, trying to calm himself before beginning to explain meditation. "The most important part of meditation is to be calm… which I know it seems that I am not very good at being." A nervous smile twitched at his lips. "A friend of mine explained that with reimancers sometimes it is easier for them to meditate when focusing on their element." Kendall held out his hand, letting his Res flow from his palm and gather in a sphere before igniting. The heat from the flames fed into his skin, raising his body temperature to a feverish warmth. "Focus on the fire and try to clear your mind. What I like to do is imagine the flames burning up all of the things that my mind won't let go." Of course, all of those worries would return, they always did. Sometimes that window of clarity was enough to make a breakthrough though.

Kendall held his hand out so it was halfway between himself and Sareth. "Just focus on the fire, the way it moves, the heat." He was worried that he was coming off a bit odd but he was only reciting what he told himself when he was mediating. "Let it burn up what it stopping your inner fire."
-Ryan Ross

Kendall Saarinen

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook