High Arumenic.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This is the first step to starting a lore article. Please hold all conversations about lores here in this forum. No development takes place here ie Article posting. This forum is simply for threads that want to hash out what a lore should or shouldn't include as well as its merits and flaws. One can also gauge interest in new lore here as well. Polls are encouraged.

Moderator: Scribes

High Arumenic.

Postby Ifran on May 20th, 2010, 5:37 pm

Hi folks,

Hereinbelow, please find my writeup for High Arumenic, which is to common Arumenic what Shakespearean English is to Non-Regional American Dialect or British Received Pronunciation.

I have already had some input from Colombina, so I am putting it here for you all to enjoy and/or tear apart.

Take care,
Daniel
ifran, hadrian, sama'el
--------------------------

High Arumenic

"The more complex a language, the greater its capacity to influence the thoughts of men."
-C.S Friedman

Overview

Because early Eypharian culture relied on oral rather than written records and their history began with a mystical union between river-deity and human woman, the stuff of myths, little is known about the roots of the so-called High Arumenic dialect. Most linguists are in agreement that its forty-seven speech modes were derived from the work of Eyktolian poet Jalal al-Ada Balkhi whose intuitive approach to nader-canoch is mostly remembered in fragments and in the accounts of later generations of critics. Though nader-canoch, the Ancient Tongue, is spoken by a cultural and academic elite in the general Mizaharan population, it is considered a dead language. Arumenic remains the living language closest to its root, and High Arumenic remains the flower of linguistic ingenuity.

Linguists agree that in complexity of form and in raw communicative potential, the High Arumenic dialect surpasses all languages. Diranotep re Menehat characterized it as "the one language no outsider can ever truly master." Forty-seven speech modes allow for fine communication of social and emotive context, and secondary and even tertiary messages can be embedded in many simple statements. It is said that a master of the High Arumenic tongue can hold several different conversations at once, and true mastery of the language is so highly regarded that Eypharian poets are among the most celebrated of artists. While non-Eypharians rarely use the more obscure forms, most are familiar with the major contextual modes, and the ability to use them fluently in one's language is regarded as a sign of intelligence and social refinement among the upper classes.

The distinction between Arumenic and High Arumenic lies in an entirely neutral mode, which has been adopted throughout Eyktol as the "common Eypharian" or "Arumenic" tongue. Speech in this basic mode of High Arumenic is considered to be acceptable in all social situations, though Eypharians of the upper classes may look with disdain upon those who are too poorly educated to make their language more interesting.

Gestures

To make matters more complicated, with the development of Semhu, or Eypharian opera -- many of whose most famous poets were masters of High Arumenic -- the Eypharian court began to adopt gestures adapted from said theatrical form to add another layer to their intrigue. This addition to the spoken language is often seen as a separate entity as it can be less effective in the dark or when speaking to the blind, but is often utilized without adding the complexities of High Arumenic to the spoken vector of communication.

When compared to similar sign languages, such as Drykas grassland sign, the theatrical nature of its origins prove marked. Known for their high level of stylization, the meaning of many gestures are decipherable by people without a command of even common Arumenic.

For an example, a human who puts a hand to a cocked hip and says: "Would you like to try that again?" might imply indignation, defiance, and irritation. Eypharians have four or six hands, ergo even their body language supports greater complexities of expression, and many idiomatic gestures are impossible for non-Eypharians to duplicate.

Lexicon

Please see notes on Arumenic in the article on Eypharians for the basics of pronunciation, which are not altered in High Arumenic. Also, please see Arumenic swears on the article on vulgar language, swears.

Modes & Undermodes

Again, the Basic Mode of High Arumenic encompasses almost the entirety of common Arumenic. The modes and undermodes of High Arumenic are linguistic markers that go beyond moods, modalities, and cases. For the purposes of gameplay, modes need not be named outright, but may be described as below. The language itself is mind-numbingly complex, but should not hamper ease of play.

Game Usage

The following are examples to follow when communicating in High Arumenic, though a player should not feel circumscribed in their creative expression. They are merely examples.

---

Khurat asked, "Have you any further business with me?"
Beiruz replied, "No." His mode indicated: yes.

"Good." Khurat's promised: later.

---

"Certainly, one must keep one's hands clean," he agreed in an ironic undermode, four of his hands spread open for her perusal while the other two were balled in fists behind his back: secrets. "I must agree with Ozik, however, that you are indeed good for socializing," he said, frank admiration in the basic mode. The lack of undertones, though, could mean anything.
Ifran
House of the North Winds

Words: 172387
Joined roleplay: April 9th, 2010, 10:57 pm
Race: Eypharian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Lore Author (1)

High Arumenic.

Postby Spavento on May 20th, 2010, 9:06 pm

I think this is a wonderful write-up, with some real potential for awesome usage in game. I like that you keep the complexity of use to a minimum while offering some great examples for how to incorporate the modes, undermodes, and gestures. It will take a truly alert player to navigate the many tiered conversations of a thread between a group of Eypharian nobles, and this is as it should be. I'm sure I'll think of something cutting and obnoxious to say in a few days, but at the moment, it's really a great addition. Maybe some more examples, interspersed through the article might be beneficial in clarifying both game usage and the meaning of each section.
| Eypharians | Ahnatep Wiki | Ahnatep Forum | AS Office | Starting Guide |
Image Customized by Hana/Megs
Spavento
Capitano Spavento del Valle Inferno

Words: 3215
Joined roleplay: April 27th, 2010, 4:52 am
Race: Staff account
Office

High Arumenic.

Postby Colombina on August 25th, 2011, 3:52 am

I'd love to see this in the lore. Anyone have further comments? Also, is there a way to write it so it doesn't have OOC aspects?
Getting to Know Me

[Insert awesome picture of scantily clad woman and something with wings here]
Feeling very poorly lately, have mercy on your absentee merbadger. (2/20/13)
Colombina
Mizahar's Only Mer-Badger Founder

Words: 632175
Joined roleplay: March 29th, 2009, 8:56 pm
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) O RLY Decoration (1)

High Arumenic.

Postby Ifran on August 25th, 2011, 6:48 am

You want me to omit the Game Usage section? I thought that would make it easier for people writing Eypharian nobility and intelligentsia to write it clearly and without freaking out. :)
Ifran
House of the North Winds

Words: 172387
Joined roleplay: April 9th, 2010, 10:57 pm
Race: Eypharian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Lore Author (1)

High Arumenic.

Postby Colombina on August 25th, 2011, 4:25 pm

No I love the Game Usage, but maybe phrase it differently, like examples of High Arumenic in use, speaker as opposed to player, etc. The wiki is supposed to read "IC" so when we have OOC aspects they're insulated, this still reads perfectly with minor changes. Basically, don't break the fourth wall ;)
Getting to Know Me

[Insert awesome picture of scantily clad woman and something with wings here]
Feeling very poorly lately, have mercy on your absentee merbadger. (2/20/13)
Colombina
Mizahar's Only Mer-Badger Founder

Words: 632175
Joined roleplay: March 29th, 2009, 8:56 pm
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) O RLY Decoration (1)