[Flashback]A Hunting I Will Go

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This is Falyndar at its finest. Danger lurks everywhere - in the ground, in the trees, in the bush. Only the strongest survive...

Moderator: Gossamer

Postby Ssafirsotibones on July 27th, 2011, 9:37 pm

88 Summer 406AV

Today was a sunny summer day, just as so many others. With the heat beating down on the trees, Bones was going for his first solo hunt. He had just recently turned 25 years, and had spent the last week finishing his skill at his Dhani form. Now he was no longer limited to only his snake, as he had been for his previous years.

In his new form, he moved along close to the ground, sniffing at the air, tasting it. What should he hunt? Searching through one sense, and then another, he settled on a particularly strong trail, of a wild boar. Looking, he saw a some tracks from were it had gone through, breaking twigs and leaving tracks.

Strapped to his back was his fathers gladius, he had lent it to him for this hunt. Someday it would be his, his father had promised it to him. But for know he was alone, with only his wits, and his killer instinct. And he was hungry!!! Sticking out his tongue for a moment, he tasted the air, before moving along after his prey.
Last edited by Ssafirsotibones on July 30th, 2011, 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bones is a Constrictor Dhani. He likes to eat meat. He also has some speech problems.

When he speaks, a double s (ss) means a [th] sound, that he cannot say.

A triple s (sss) means just an [s], but it is extended in his speech.

Ssafirsotibones
Player

Words: 440799
Joined roleplay: July 7th, 2011, 5:37 am
Race: Dhani
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Postby Ssafirsotibones on July 27th, 2011, 10:17 pm

Following along the trail, Bones kept his senses alert, looking for anything he might see to lead him to his victim. As he moved the scent slowly grew stronger, and his hunger grew. Soon he would have taken his first kill by himself, and be a true hunter.

Keeping low to the ground, he tried to keep from being noticed. He used every little bit of stealth he had, and approached it without the boar being aware. Circling around, he kept downwind of it, making sure the boar did not notice him.

All was going well, as the boar ate off of a bush. It did not see as he closed in, moving one hand back ready to pull out the blade. His gladius' sharpness combined with his strength could easily cut the boar in half with one stroke. Everything was going as planned, and he would soon be dining on the body of his prey, and returning home to show his spoils of battle.

Just as he knew nothing could go wrong, and that he had the beast... Just as he was about to pull the blade and finish it all in one stroke...

The wind changed. The boar smelled him, and turned to face its attacker. It had a cut over one eye, which looked to be ruined from some previous battle. It had several scars from were it ad been cut or stabbed by other animals or hunters, and yet it was still alive.

With fury it let out a squeal, and prepared to turn and charge him with its tusks. His plan had been ruined by a chance blow of wind.
Bones is a Constrictor Dhani. He likes to eat meat. He also has some speech problems.

Ssafirsotibones
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Ssafirsotibones on August 4th, 2011, 12:43 am

Bones did his best to react fast, seeing the boar trying to gore him with its tusks. Getting as low as he could, he got below the boar, and as it approached he pushed up with his hands, making the boar go over him.

As it landed, he lashed out his tail, trying to grab its hind quarters and legs. Bringing down his gladius, he tried to slash it in the back, but the boar pulled free. As it moved away, he sliced at it, cleanly taking off a foot.

As the boar let out a squeal of pain, it turned and charged once more. Rolling out of the way, he stood out his blade, carving it along the boars side. He managed to break through one of the boars ribs, before his blade caught on the next. As the boar kept going, his blade was wrenched from his hands, and tossed on the ground.

Still though, he had weakened the boar, though its fight was so great this did not affect it, at least for know. It new if it lost it would die, and so was not going to stop till it was dead.

Now he had to fight with his body, which was a different battle altogether. Tackling the boar, he wrapped his tail around it in a simple wrestling move, and tried to choke the boar with his arms. And in this form that was quite a force, pressing down on its body.

But the boar did not want to give, and was squirming and fighting with all of its strength. As a few more bones and ribs snapped in the boars body, he managed to work his tusk around and did a surface wound to one of his arms. As it yanked out its tusk, a good bit of flesh came with it, and Bones let out a loud hiss of pain.

Ssafirsotibones
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Ssafirsotibones on August 4th, 2011, 12:52 am

Still he pressed further, not willing to give up... And finally he heard it... The neck of the boar snap... As its limp form fell to the side, Bones clutched a hand to his wound. He tried to press on it, to get the blood to stop flowing. And in the mean time, he would have a bite to eat.

Going and picking up his gladius, he went to the boar. There was one bit he wanted to take, which he would keep, and the rest he would simply swallow whole. Working his blade in, and cutting around, he managed to cut the tusks out of its mouth. Then he wiped his blade clean on its fur, and put his gladius away.

Checking around, he saw some herbs he knew, and noticed some that helped with clotting. Picking them, he stuffed it into the wound, and then pressed once more with his hand. Finally, after a while, he saw he had stopped bleeding, and he removed his hand. It would heal back eventually, but would take a while.

For know, he would eat, giving him the needed resources to heal. Bending down, he opened his jaws wide, and with his hands pulled the entire boar in, sliding it along. Once it was in, he worked it with his stomach muscles, sliding it down all the way. For know he would rest, and digest his food, and recuperate, but once he had some time, he would set to work on the boar tusks he had, trying a bit more of his hand at malediction.

Ssafirsotibones
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Ssafirsotibones on August 4th, 2011, 1:20 am

Having rested for a good bit, and had a chance to start digesting, Bones got to work. He took out a small dagger he had, and took one of the tusks of the boar. Choosing the middle of the tusk, he began to carve out a circle with the blade tip.

It took time, he had to slowly scrape again and again, carving the depression deeper and deeper. The hardest part was that first part, but once he had it going, it was easier to expand the cut. As he got the circle going, and had it all the way around, it got a bit easier, since all he had to do was make it deeper.

And after a while of working at it, he got the circle at the right depth, and finished it. It looked okay, though he did not have that much experience with malediction. He was still pretty new, and so whatever he did, the power of the item would be minor.

Now was for a figure, what would be a good representation for the boar and its tusk? Power? Speed? Fury? Endurance? Strength? Being able to write words would be pretty helpful right now...What to do... Finally, he settled on drawing a small tooth inside of it, with blood on the end, which he signified by carving in the end of the point of the tooth depiction.

He chose it, since it seemed that this boar was a good fighter, and had wounded many others who it had fought. Now he wondered what he should do with it, once done. Make it into part for a bracelet? Or to hang off of a necklace? Who knew... Regardless, he could do that later.

Finally, he pricked his finger, and dropped a bit of blood on the circle. This would activate it. He wondered what it would do, since it was not going to be that powerful of an item. Now he would just have to see what it did. For know, he would rest some more, and digest the boar he had swallowed. Once done, he would head back to Zinrah, were he could get someone to look at his wound, and to check out what his item he made would do.

Ssafirsotibones
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Rage on August 26th, 2011, 9:42 am

GRANTING OF XP

Ssafirsotibones
Tracking - 1xp
Stealth - 1xp
Hunting - 1xp
Observation - 1xp
Gladius - 1xp
Unarmed Combat - 1xp
Herbalism - 1xp
Carving - 1xp
Malediction - 1xp

Lores:
Hunting: Boar's Berserker Rage

Items:
Boar Tusk - creatures, especially those blinded with rage, that attack Bones will continue to do so until they are dead or until they manage to kill Bones. They will attack using piercing damage (using beaks, tusks, claws, teeth, etc) if possible. This effect only applies to Bones; if the item is in the possession of other people, they will experience a mild (almost ignorable but not quite) discomfort of killing their prey when out hunting.

Others:
Scar on upper arm
Notes:
Several things to note here:
1.) Age 25 to a Dhani is like a toddler to a human. At this age they're more likely being taken care off by an elder Dhani more than anything. A more appropriate age for this scenario is 50-70ish. Please adjust the age accordingly.
EDIT: As discussed in the PM, no need to change the timestamp. That doesn't change the fact that it's still dangerous to hunt for a Dhani at that age in Falyndar however. I'll let that slide for now though.
2.) With your skill levels (everything at novice and not even anything at 15), I thought you overplayed all your skills and underplayed the boar's strength. A boar is no joke. With those levels, you're better off doing training threads first rather than going our into the world and applying these skills at those levels. I'll let this slide for now since it's the first time it happened under my watch but next time I'm afraid there will be consequences. I'm already being generous awarding you the XP I did.
3.) Hunting in Dhani form will get you killed. By Myrian arrows. I'll let this oversight slide as well for now.
4.) With no skill to apply malediction with, I awarded you with a negative effect on the item. Also, Malediction is more than just taking a random body part from an animal or person, the maledictor puts meaning to the crafting as well as the parts he applies his craft to. I found this aspect of it to be missing from your thread but nonetheless I awarded you with an effect. As a suggestion, you may want to look at how Seyp does his malediction.

If you have any questions or objections with regards to anything I've written here, please feel free to contact me and we can talk about it.

Notice: I will not be available for modding in the foreseeable future until I've cleared up my backlog of Miz stuff (PC and ST-wise). Hopefully, it's a temporary thing, but we'll see. I will still grade your threads, however.
Rage
Devourer of Souls

Words: 109059
Joined roleplay: August 5th, 2010, 4:18 am
Race: Staff account
Office