[Sanctuary] A Warm Welcome Home [Kavala]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

Postby Raiha on September 1st, 2011, 2:09 am

Closed. Kavala, please.

Sunset, 60th of Summer, 511 AV.

It had been a good day. Well, as far as Raiha was concerned, it was. The last several tendays had involved her doing her own work, and just making sure that Sanctuary was running and dealing with the Council when they came in to assure them that she was looking after the place until Kavala got back, and she was sure she -would- be, but until then, it wouldn't do to upset everything until they knew what was going on, right? Well then. They could take it up with Kavala when she got back. Yes, as far as the Akontak knew, the Konti would be back. Yes, she knew Kavala was still under contract despite birthing an Akontak, which Raiha personally felt was enough to release her from it, but since they disagreed she wasn't going to discuss that. She didn't plan on replacing Kavala, or trying to replace Kavala. She couldn't do that...and didn't think anyone really could. But it meant she had to open herself far more to other people. Trial by fire might burn, but the scars are neat reminders, Kanikra reminded her.

I know, Raiha kept herself from leaning on the flanged mace as she stood in the middle of the courtyard, still holding it, before lifting the weapon once more and smashing the flanged head into the cattail dummy. It's a good experience. I just wish I knew if she was okay or not. Maybe I should try talking to Avalis, see if that helps any. The shadows had only been able to tell her that Kavala hitched up some horses to the wagon and took off. Though she asked, nothing else had been forthcoming.

Couldn't hurt at this stage, I suppose, Kanikra was a little grudging. Her sister marked us as a baby, after all. Dipping into the Chavena and whatever else those diviners do... Tighten that arm. She corrected her sister's stance immediately when Raiha let the proper form slouch too much for Kanikra's liking. Immediately, she did, and brought the weapon up in a vicious upswing that almost knocked the dummy off its base, and sent the reverberations all the way to her shoulder. That's the force we need to use. Again. Keep going.

It's fickle, isn't it? To only really pray to her now that we actually need answers. Raiha could only imagine how much a Goddess heard petitions from people that were here today, gone tomorrow. And while she'd used to talk to Avalis from time to time in Mura, just as she'd talked to Akajia, she hadn't in a long time. She hit the dummy again before switching arms. This had become a form of stress relief and a way to calm her body down before meditating and practicing using Djed. Diallo lay out of the way, watching. The birds, including her geese, were tucked into the mews, having bedded down for the night. Raiha's searching for an owl had been put on hold - she didn't like roaming at night without having someone else to hold the fort down, and certainly wasn't about to give the Akalak who doubtless watched the place without her seeing them the idea that she was running off too, even if it was just to look for owls. She swung the mace again and again, losing count of the tally, though Kanikra kept it for her, using it as a gauge of strength and endurance.

You should be furious, you know that? You had to face the inquisition about her whereabouts. She ran off on you without telling you a damn thing. Do friends really do that? Of course they don't, Raiha. You are owed more than just her running off without a word of explanation. Don't give me that what will be, will be shyke. How many nights have you spent awake because you don't know where she is or what happened to you? How irresponsible of her was it to just run off like that? Not a bad night. One hundred twenty nine. Feel better? Stretch out, get comfortable, and practice something. What's it going to be tonight? Shielding? Spiritism? If Kanikra meant to incite her twin, she was very slowly succeeding.

No. I don't. Auristics. Right back at square one, Raiha told her as she put the leather casing back on the mace's head and carried it towards the shade by the tree. She put her back to it and settled down, making herself comfortable as she rested against the rough bark, and closed her eyes and breathed, the weapon in her lap. Meditation was good for her. She called it spring cleaning in her head - if it allowed her to sort out what was going on in her brain, she could think better without her thoughts in a jumble, and her reaction time would be faster. She concentrated on the Djed, and focused on bringing the auras to her vision. When she opened her eyes again in the shade of the tree, the world had changed utterly, with each and every one of the auras now available for her perusal.

Diallo rested in the cool grass beside her, reclining on his belly and listening while she studied the auras of the horses in the paddocks. Soon, some of them would be coming in for the night. Her own mare, Yakini, wouldn't be. But she focused on a foal of mixed parentage, watching the youngling, and began to scry the aura. Filly. Strider cross. Raiha scanned her aura from her nose to her hooves, reading, looking for illnesses or weaknesses that were out of place. That was her way of knowing when something was wrong with the herd. She wasn't a horsewoman like some of the others - birds and dogs were more her area of expertise, but she liked them all anyway. She had just finished her inspection of the filly and was about to pick another one when the song of Makath became louder and clearer still.

Raiha Shadowplayer! She heard the shadows call to her as she let her eyes unfocus, felt them around her arms and limbs. Diallo, too, was getting up and shaking himself off. Raiha Shadowplayer! Someone comes, down the road, the road, the road... Raiha turned her attention there as Diallo got up and began to bark. Coming along the road up to Sanctuary in the twilight hours, Raiha spotted a wagon pulled by a couple of Seme-crosses, leading two Striders. And the auras in the driver's bench were familiar, though she didn't recognize some of the others.

Kavala had come home, and Raiha set off at a trot from her comfortable tree, crossing the twilight-draped land to go and see the Konti, filled with relief, delight, and Kanikra-fueled anger. Raiha's fuse was slow to burn, to the point where none ever really saw it, but Kanikra had raised some very good points, and that fear and frustration had been festering for a while.
The first rule of Akajia is you do not talk about Akajia.
Raiha
Raiha Shadowplayer

Words: 492991
Joined roleplay: February 6th, 2010, 4:07 pm
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Kavala on January 9th, 2012, 12:16 am

She wasn't driving the wagon. A Cerulean was. Two more flanked either side of the wagon on horses and one took up the rear. They'd obviously sent four after her. Instead Kavala was sulking beside one of them. He had an amused glower on his face as he expertly drove the team through the gates and brought the wagon to a halt.

A team of Seme mares were pulling the wagon, and the horses Kavala had taken with her to Endrykas were gone. Kavala had obviously traded them, which didn't surprise either of the Akontak souls because they were inferior animals she herself had decided needed to be moved out. The mares were in good shape and easy on the eyes, being larger than most horses and stronger still. The wagon had an extra cart tucked up in it, designed like a pony cart but for an obviously larger horse. There were also dogs all over the back of the wagon, some of various sizes and breeds.. mostly Imperials, deerstalkers, and ghost dogs. Three of them looked heavy with pups. Kavala's pavilion was packed up in the back, and she looked sullen as she carefully climbed down and handed Aweston Tasi so she could help begin to unhitch the Seme mares. Sivak would be happy to have more of his kind around, with him being the only Seme stallion on the place.

Kavala stopped Raiha, groaned, and then was stopped by the Cerulean who had driven her back. He gave her a few more forced sharp words then unhitched his horse from the back of the wagon and mounted up with the other three and rode off back towards their outpost.

Kavala swallowed, glanced at Aweston, and then set about hanging up tack and rubbing the mares down. She left the wagon where it was, knowing she could unpack it later.

When Raiha approached, Kavala said nothing at first, finishing what she was doing and then turned to the Akontak. She said nothing more for the longest time then sighed softly. "I'm sorry Raiha, Kani. I needed to get away... and I panicked. I really did. I should have told you and it was wrong of me not too. I'm sorry I worried you. And thank you for taking care of the place while I was gone. Endrykas was a lot further than I thought it was via the webs when I left so it took twice the length of time to find it by wagon as I thought. Next time I'll just take a strider and be gone only overnight or a two days at the very most." She added, looking ashamed.
The Sanctuary The Sanctuary Forum Riverfall The Cytali
Reverie Isle Wolf Creek Training Course
Please Note:
  • This pc is maxed out in Animal Husbandry, Medicine, Observation, Rhetoric, and Socialization.
  • Kavala a Master Teacher. Students she is teaching in thread can earn more than the maxium 5 XP per thread.
  • This pc has a Konti Gift of Animal Empathy. She has a superpower from a Riverfall city event that allows animals of all sorts and Kelvics (in kelvic form) to speak clear understandable Common around her.
  • Kavala is a Konti but was raised in the Drykas culture so her accent is entirely Pavi though she can speak Common, Pavi, and Tukant well. She's only conversational in Kontinese.
Kavala
I am more than the sum of my parts.

Words: 3295757
Joined roleplay: October 25th, 2009, 1:46 am
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 17
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Trailblazer (2) Overlored (1)
Master Merchant (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Riverfall Seasonal Challenge (2) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Raiha on February 17th, 2012, 7:19 pm

Raiha just watched the Cerulean impassively, making mental notes on the particulars of each’s facial tattoos and features in the event that she saw them later. Since the prior year, she had been keeping track on them and where she saw them, if only because of her run-in with a bunch of them when she met and had to be rescued by her father. Kanikra, in the meantime, merely looked at them as being the ones who were stupid enough to get caught. These ones had clearly been sent to retrieve the missing Nakivak and return her to the city. She said nothing at the sharp words, just standing there with her dog, one hand on her hip at the leather belt. One of the long-handled maces hung from there, even as the wind picked and tugged at the crinkled cotton cloth of the colourful tiered skirt. For someone who had been practicing with that weapon, her clothes were surprisingly unpractical for the girl. Clearly, she hadn’t set out to use it tonight. Perhaps it had been a spur-of-the-moment decision by Kanikra.

Maybe.

The dogs caught her attention, though, as Kavala helped Aweston unhitch the horses as she went over the Deerstalkers with a practiced eye, quiet approval of them and their shape and form, as young as they were, recognizing the opportunity for potential there. She touched the chocolate-coloured pregnant bitch, letting her sniff and smell as Diallo put his big paws on the side of the wagon, rearing up to have a look at the other dogs there. Good looking dogs, all of them. She turned away from them, though, and nudged Diallo’s shoulder. “Off,” she warned him, turning back to face Kavala, looking down at her. She stood a solid foot over the older woman, her posture slightly stiff in the way she was carrying herself, as if she was worn down, unsure, and in some ways, just plain tired. She looked as she usually did - solemn and close-mouthed, but there was a slight sparking in her gold eyes that Kavala hadn’t seen before.

That wasn’t Kanikra, with her cold, indifferent malevolence. With Kanikra, there were no such warnings because nothing yet had ever riled her up. Raiha, on the other hand...

Even before Kavala spoke to her, the Akontak’s anger was slowly slipping away at the new dogs, and seeing Tasival safe and sound. She didn’t allow herself to clench her fists - to do so was an aggressive gesture and Raiha had no intention of striking or trying to strike her friend. The apologies and mention of the Web threatened to derail her altogether, with its secretive allure and promises of knowlege contained therein. She was silent for a long time as she just looked at her. “You let that grab you and shake you by the tail and lost your head in the process,” her voice was not as controlled as the rest of her, beginning to flow with a surging undercurrent of anger. “You and Tasival could have been killed. And I never would have known or been able to do anything or say even say goodbye.” Her fists clenched that time, her body tightening. Diallo shoved at her hip and hand, trying to distract her, completely unsure of what was coming over his long-time partner an companion, Kavala could tell. Diallo had never seen Raiha livid either. “And you didn’t TELL me! Over thirty gods-forsaken days, and YOU DIDN’T TELL ME! I didn’t know if you were alive and safe or wounded or dying or dead, and I had no way of knowing.” Her voice shook as she tried to get it and the volume under control.

Raiha did understand the needing to get away. Her position was a stressful one. Her duty to the city was painful in ways no one but another Nakivak could truly comprehend. It wasn’t that. It was the fact that Raiha hadn’t known what had happened to her, or where she went, and had no way of going after her to find her or her remains. And while Kanikra didn't give a damn either way, Raiha most certainly did.
The first rule of Akajia is you do not talk about Akajia.
Raiha
Raiha Shadowplayer

Words: 492991
Joined roleplay: February 6th, 2010, 4:07 pm
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Kavala on May 28th, 2012, 7:01 pm

Kavala flinched but stood near Raiha, handing her Tasival as she lectured the konti revealing how afraid she'd been. Kavala nodded, understanding completely Raiha's anger and fear. It was not misplaced at all. Raiha was right in everything she said and did. Kavala knew that. She'd been wrong and it showed. Even the Council knew she'd been wrong and had sent Cerulean back to Endrykas to retrieve her.

Speaking of the Cerulean, they left her with the wagon, the Seme, and a stern warning not to stray again. Kavala nodded to them, watched them leave, and then turned to Raiha.

"I'm sorry. I have a lot to answer for and I don't always do the right thing. I have no excuse for not telling you nor sending word that I was fine. I won't be doing it again. I severed all ties with my family and there's nothing back in Endrykas for me to go 'home' too. My home is here. I realize that. Tasival needs to be here with his kind, not on the Sea of Grass running with the Drykas who will never accept or understand him regardless if he bonded to a strider or not." She said, looking softly apologetic.

"I'm sorry I ran, but I needed too. I needed the wake up call and the realization that this is it. This is my home. There's nothing else in the world that can hold me a single place besides Sanctuary. I needed to be away that long to realize that. But I should have told you were I was going and sent at least one message or two that I was doing fine. I apologize, Raiha. That was horrible of me.. .and I don't blame you for being furious." Kavala said, owning her actions and taking responsibility.

"I did however bring you presents. Dogs. Lots of them. I think 'Ive gotten good quality ones as well. I got deerstalkers, ghostdogs, imperial Watchers and Silkena." Kavala said, gesturing to the wagon that not only held her pavilion but the pups and pregnant bitches as well.

"Come... see them!" She said, trying to distract Raiha from her anger and delight her instead with the gifts.
The Sanctuary The Sanctuary Forum Riverfall The Cytali
Reverie Isle Wolf Creek Training Course
Please Note:
  • This pc is maxed out in Animal Husbandry, Medicine, Observation, Rhetoric, and Socialization.
  • Kavala a Master Teacher. Students she is teaching in thread can earn more than the maxium 5 XP per thread.
  • This pc has a Konti Gift of Animal Empathy. She has a superpower from a Riverfall city event that allows animals of all sorts and Kelvics (in kelvic form) to speak clear understandable Common around her.
  • Kavala is a Konti but was raised in the Drykas culture so her accent is entirely Pavi though she can speak Common, Pavi, and Tukant well. She's only conversational in Kontinese.
Kavala
I am more than the sum of my parts.

Words: 3295757
Joined roleplay: October 25th, 2009, 1:46 am
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 17
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Trailblazer (2) Overlored (1)
Master Merchant (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Riverfall Seasonal Challenge (2) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)