The Maiyabi Doll [Monster]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This is the first step to starting a lore article. Please hold all conversations about lores here in this forum. No development takes place here ie Article posting. This forum is simply for threads that want to hash out what a lore should or shouldn't include as well as its merits and flaws. One can also gauge interest in new lore here as well. Polls are encouraged.

Moderator: Scribes

The Maiyabi Doll [Monster]

Postby Aksia Carataqua on March 7th, 2010, 12:27 pm

Okay, so this is my first idea that I'd like to contribute to mizahar, I hope you guys like it, it's okay to dish out constructive criticism, and if you find any spelling or grammatical mistakes, feel free to point them out. :D

Frequency: Quite Common in Ravok and Sahova, Average in other parts of Sylira, Uncommon in Mura, and are usually only found in uninhabited places where Konti don't frequent.

Major Features: Two faces, a White beautiful one on the front, and a Pitch black one on the back, long black hair and thin, but strong arms that stretch from the back of their ears to their necks.

Threat Level: Quite high

Maiyabi's, or Maiyabi Dolls as they are called, (because of their beauty) are humanoid Valterrics, born from the Valterrian. They are solitary creatures, usually found near water, or in forests, they rarely go near cities, but they are occasionally seen around city walls. They are carnivorous , much like wolves and tigers and can be distinguished from humans by their clothing and the extra faces behind their heads, as well as the arms that protrude from their heads.

Appearance: Maiyabi Dolls are all beautiful, and each Maiyabi Doll looks different in terms of face, much like humans, but all of them have a features that set them apart from real humans, for one, they have an extra face, a purplish-black face with green eyes as well as lacerations on these faces that constantly leak out ink. But that's not all, they also have a pair of arms that stretch out from behind their ears. These arms are extremely dangerous as the Maiyabi doll usually keeps them curled up, the real length of these arms stretch 5-6 feet in length and can easily grab people that are close, they are also tipped with long claws instead of fingernails that can rip, and tear ensnared victimes to shreds in a matter of minutes.

History and Overview: Maiyabi dolls are extremely aggressive and attack at the slightest provocation, whether it be touching a Maiyabi doll or screaming/talking to it. They are constantly in a state of self pity, and even if their masks on the front smile, they are always crying in the back. They think in images, and can project images through telepathy to other Maiyabi Dolls, they are extremely introverted and it is unknown if they can speak. Not only that but they are usually solitary, and groups are uncommon, pairs are more common. Overall it's quite easy to understand Maiyabi dolls, ignore them if you don't want to be mauled by their claws.

As Valterrics, before the Valterrian they did not exist, and came into existence after the Valterrian. They are commonly found near water, as they drink large amounts of it to keep the ink in their bodies from drying out. They do not rest and do not require it, they are not territorial and even a bit nomadic, going from place to place as they enjoy exploring new places.

Diet: Even though Maiyabi dolls drink gallons of water a day to keep their ink flowing, the ink is made by a single gland inside of the arms that protrude from the head, these glands generate ink by changing protein obtained from meat. As pointed out, they are carnivorous and eat a healthy diet of meat only, they feed on any meat available when hungry, whether it be living or dead, or sentient. They are ferocious fighters and destroy victims, and prey, ripping it into shreds and feeding it to the face on the back, the hands eagerly passing food to their mouths, which are filled with sharp teeth. They don't have any predators because no predator would eat a Maiyabi Doll despite them being slow and easy targets, because they are filled with ink and their flesh is bitter.

Reproduction and Social Structure: Maiyabi Dolls ALWAYS appear as females, regardless of them being male or female. They mate by entwining their hands together and the reproductive organ on their palms exchange sex cells. The males then depart, leaving the female and when a child is born (there can only be one Maiyabi doll born at a time) only the female takes care of the child, nurturing it until it is 2 months old, then leaving it. Pregnancy of a Maiyabi doll takes about 4 months, as well as a 16 month recovery period, in which the female Maiyabi doll will be unable to mate with any male. Males usually bring gifts of food to females, to please them, when males are contested against each other for a single female, they usually fight to the death, ripping at each other until one is dead. Because of this and the amount of time needed for breeding, one would think they wouldn't be common, but because they live for almost 250 years before their bodies fall apart, leaving only their hair and their beautiful faces, they are quite abundant.
Aksia Carataqua
The Dancing Healer

Words: 21277
Joined roleplay: January 26th, 2010, 12:30 am
Race: Charoda
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Re: The Maiyabi Doll [Monster]

Postby Tarot on March 7th, 2010, 1:50 pm

Creepy, just like I envision Valterric monsters. :) I would like to read more about their origins, though - as in, a proper creation myth. What part of the Valterrian birthed these creatures? I'm talking about things like a god's blood being shed, or two gods clashing, or something getting twisted by the divine Djed running wild at that time. I suppose a mask should be involved.

There are some run-on sentences and tangents throughout the text. And of course, it should be explained how they spread across the continent and even to some islands if their behavior pattern consists of just attacking as soon as someone bothers them. I have no problem with some of these creatures being on Sahova, mind you - there could be some in the Testing Grounds, but there is not enough food for them to be common all over the island.

I like the concept, though. :) I think these critters have potentioal, with more fleshing out and some restructuring.
Tarot's thread tickets: sold out. Not accepting any more threads for the time being unless I promised you one. Sorry for the inconvenience!
Tarot
May you live in interesting times

Words: 766317
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:29 pm
Blog: View Blog (11)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Thread (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Being Tarot Award (1)
O RLY Decoration (1)

Postby Kamalia Timandre on March 7th, 2010, 2:01 pm

Hello. I love the idea!

I really love Maiyabi Dolls, but I think the Monster "Miyabi Doll" or Miyabi Ningyo comes from the game Ragnarok Online, and maybe-just maybe-it's something we're trying to avoid.

http://ratemyserver.net/index.php?page=mob_db&mob_id=1404 <-See? I love how it is written and I love the concept. Maybe we can rename the "Maiyabi Doll" into something else so we won't be copying a monster off Ragnarok?
Kamalia Timandre
I send a hail of burning ice!

Words: 254985
Joined roleplay: September 8th, 2009, 8:37 am
Blog: View Blog (1)
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Featured Thread (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Trailblazer (4) Advocate (1)

Postby Tarot on March 7th, 2010, 2:07 pm

Oh, I totally had no idea. Thanks for sharing, Kammy. I'm not familiar with that game, but it does look like this is a cloned monster. Really, we only accept original concepts - it's written all over the place! ;)

Back to the drawing board, I'm afraid.
Tarot's thread tickets: sold out. Not accepting any more threads for the time being unless I promised you one. Sorry for the inconvenience!
Tarot

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
O RLY Decoration (1)

Postby Aksia Carataqua on March 7th, 2010, 10:38 pm

okey dokey :D I'll try to come up with something then (Sorry for copying).. at least It won't be hard to.. Oh wait... here comes an idea now! :D but can i use this thread to make my new monster by renaming it and changing the content, or should i make a new thread?
Aksia Carataqua
The Dancing Healer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Tarot on March 7th, 2010, 10:44 pm

New thread please? :) Less confusing that way.

I'm glad you didn't get discouraged. Nobody ever got it perfect the first time, and besides, I am certain you can write up something beautiful that is entirely of your own making.
Tarot

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
O RLY Decoration (1)

Postby Aksia Carataqua on March 7th, 2010, 11:02 pm

Thanks tarot for being so nice XD :D, I'm sure that I can come up with something too, it's probably going to be another Valterric fish monster that can literally swim through ice and can only swim in ponds that are completely frozen :D
Aksia Carataqua
The Dancing Healer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Nyahna Sasin on March 7th, 2010, 11:22 pm

That is not going to be ripped off from Left 4 dead, right? :D
Nyahna Sasin
The snakepuppy assassin

Words: 164919
Joined roleplay: December 21st, 2009, 8:24 am
Blog: View Blog (2)
Race: Dhani
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Tarot on March 7th, 2010, 11:31 pm

Hahaha, I did think that this monster's behavior pattern kind of resembled the Witch from the L4D games, but... :)
Tarot

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
O RLY Decoration (1)

Postby Nyahna Sasin on March 7th, 2010, 11:48 pm

That....explains a lot. Don't worry tarot. I'll go try and explain to him the difference between coming up with your own monster, and making it a mish mash of a bajillion others. *sigh*
Nyahna Sasin
The snakepuppy assassin

Words: 164919
Joined roleplay: December 21st, 2009, 8:24 am
Blog: View Blog (2)
Race: Dhani
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes