[Flashback] There is No Place Like Home (Solo)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The Diamond of Kalea is located on Kalea's extreme west coast and called as such because its completely made of a crystalline substance called Skyglass. Home of the Alvina of the Stars, cultural mecca of knowledge seekers, and rife with Ethaefal, this remote city shimmers with its own unique light.

Postby Cailet on August 27th, 2011, 12:25 am

Time: Late Summer, 497 AV
Place: Amaranthine Path

They were fighting again.

“The horse is nearly dead, what makes you think that we can make it up that

"The horse is perfectly fine. What kind of excuse is that?"

"It's not an excuse. Are you daft?"

“Don’t talk to me like that! And we will because I said we will. If the horse dies, then you’re going to pull the cart yourself. How is that for incentive?”

“Pretty petching poor, if you ask me. I’m not pulling nothing, especially not the cart. Make the girl…-”

“Don’t you even talk about her.”

One or the other of the arguers had stormed away. The shouts grew fainter until Cailet could no longer hear her mother or the man whose name she had not been allowed to learn. She knew it would be dark before either of them returned, leaving her to set up their camp. Tall for a girl of seven, Cailet was equally scrawny for her size. With all of her baby fat gone long before she was to even hit puberty, it was evident that her stature was due to hard work and poor food; she was only a couple meals shy of malnutrition. That made no difference, however, as she was still expected to pull her weight. With her sleeping quarters already situated in the back of their cart, Cailet had to hurry to make sure that her mother and the man’s tent was erected before their return or nightfall, whichever came first. She dared not think of the penalties should the work not be done in time.

The cart that held all their possessions was a rickty thing; it had seen many roads and many more miles. It was an uncovered cart, making it a simple task to place and remove items from within, but provided poor shelter in any kind of weather. This was a problem that only Cailet noticed, as her meager belongings and sleeping stuffs were tucked away in the far corner, away from the wind but not the rain or snow. It was not uncommon for the young girl to wake wet and shivering in the middle of the night, thanks to a freak storm. She had even learned to dread the morning dew, as it settled in a fine sheet over her sleeping form, only to drench her when she moved. The horse that pulled the cart was old, but sturdy and had been around since before Cailet could walk. She called him Whisper, for that was the tone in which she had to speak if she wanted to talk to the beast. Her mother didn’t approve of her making much noise.

Jumping down from the cart, after making sure her possessions were covered with a thick fur, Cailet took hold of Whisper’s bridle, leading him off the road and into the shelter of the trees. Happening upon a decently flat piece of ground, Cailet stopped and unhitched Whisper, allowing him to graze while she searched the surrounding area for dry wood and twigs. It took longer than she expected; there had been rainfall recently, and most of the tinder was soaked through and no good for a fire. It was nearly half an hour before the girl returned to the campsite with an armful of wood, and an armful for a seven year old is not much at all. But still she managed a fire, albeit a small one. Next, a pot was retrieved from the cart and filled by the stream just beyond the treeline, next to a winding path. This she set over the blossoming fire to boil. Crossing her fingers that the fire would still be burning when she was done, Cailet set upon the task of setting up the tent.

It was hardest when done alone, but alone was how Cailet was used to doing things. For years, it had hours of struggle to get the tent up; sticking the poles in the ground on one side and sprinting desperately over to the other in hopes of getting those poles up before the first fell down. It was only recently she had learned to make use of her surroundings, though it still took the girl a while to set up. First, she took the main support pole and leaned it against the sturdiest tree, twisting one end into the ground to make sure it didn’t fall over. Holding the second support pole and draping the canvas over the top to make the actual tent, Cailet then quickly shoved the stake attached to the corner nearest to her into the ground, pulling the canvas taut. From there, it was easy.

Sleeping furs, blankets and sleeping pads were heaved from the back of the cart and carried over to the tent. The bed inside was carefully laid out and made, with all the small rocks and twigs removed for optimum comfort. Whisper was then secured for the night, rubbed down and fed a scoop of oats. When alone, Cailet also slipped him an apple or piece of fruit. The old horse would always nicker it’s thanks, and give the girl a gentle nudge before she went away. The animal was the only one that ever gave her any thanks.

By the time her mother returned, Cailet had the fire glowing brightly, their supper cooking slowly over the flames. Without a word to her daughter, Florena located her tent and slipped inside, letting the flap fall closed behind her. The man was soon to follow her into the tent, but not before stopping by the fire, glaring at Cailet and grabbing most of the meat she had roasted, leaving only scraps. Complaining would do more damage than good, she had learned, so the little girl silently ate what was left, doused the fire and climbed back into the cart.

Deep beneath her many blankets, Cailet fell into a fitful sleep, dreaming of the next city to appear, which ever it may be. The steep, winding mountain path that lay before them, on the other side of the trees, had caused the fight between her mother and the man. But Cailet knew there had to be something up the mountain, falling asleep praying that they would make it to the top. There, she could escape for a few days, eat more than scraps, sleep on something better than rags, and perhaps learn something new.
Last edited by Cailet on August 31st, 2011, 2:36 am, edited 14 times in total.
Blue is Cailet...
Purple is Everyone else...
Italics is Amanda...
Bold are the shadows, ever whispering...
Cailet
We know.

Words: 99246
Joined roleplay: November 3rd, 2010, 3:23 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Cailet on August 27th, 2011, 1:15 am

And they were still fighting.

Pacing slowly along next to Whisper, Cailet tried to stay as far back from her Mother and Man as possible; too fast, and they would draw her into the fight, but too slow and she would be drawn into the fight anyway, for being lazy or slow or stupid or any number of things. So instead, Cailet went as fast as the horse, gently holding his bridle and talking to him in a whispered voice.

“You know, Wisp, we’re going to find something better one day, we are. You can have tons of apples, and I’ll have new clothes! Clean clothes! And...and maybe some friends! Real friends.” The little girl paused, sucking in on her bottom lip as she always did when she hesitated. “She won’t leave me alone, Wisp. It seems like she’s all in my head, when I dream… but sometimes she’s there when I am awake too. The girl from the lake.” Whisper tossed his head as if in response, shaking his mane and bobbing his head with a snort. Cailet laid a gentle hand on his muzzle “No no, Wisp. It’s okay. I don’t think it’s actually her. Just a…a…memory.” Cailet understood little of guilt, or at least couldn’t put that exact word to the feeling. She was feeling guilt, however, over the fate of the young girl she’d encountered this year past. Try as she might to forget the whole incident, it seemed to haunt her. Whether Whisper actually felt the presence or not was another matter, though the old stallion was usually just more animated when Cailet was around. It did no harm for the girl to think he was talking back. She needed a friend, even an old one of another species. “G’up, Wisp, we’re falling behind.” With another bob of his head, Whisper quickened his slow plop to a fast walk but that seemed to satisfy the girl. “Good boy, Wisp. You’re a good boy.”

Cailet fell into silence as they continued along, either for lack of topic or actual interest in what the two adults walking ahead were fighting about now. It still seemed like one wanted to forgo the mountain path, while the other thought it a good idea to explore. Their argument was reaching a fevered pitch, both of them screaming at the other now, when they rounded the bend. What was waiting for them made Florena, Man, Cailet and Whisper stop in their tracks.
Directly ahead was the path in dispute, though it was not the small shrub lined dirt pass that made them stop, but the shining building that stood next to it. No, not building- hut. It was a glittering hut. What it was made out of, Cailet had no idea. The child wasn’t even interested in the materials, as she was transfixed by its ethereal beauty. Never had she seen something so…pretty. For a girl who had no place to call home, no luxuries and barely anything of her very own, the hut was almost magical. Cailet felt the draw almost immediately, letting go of Whispers bridle and walking slowly, as if hypnotized, towards the hut. Undaunted by her mother’s hissed command of “Cailet, stop. NOW!, the girl kept on with her approach. It wasn’t until a man stepped from the hut that Cailet stopped and snapped out of her transfixion, suddenly frightened.

“Whoa, it’s okay child. My name is Hachia Koat. Are you folks looking to make the ascent to Lhavit?” Guessing correctly that he would get no answers from the stricken girl who stood frozen before him, the kindly man directed his question to Florena and Man. Once his gaze left her face, Cailet fled back to the safety of Whispers side, clinging to his bridle once more. “What is it, Wisp? Why does it shine like that?” Whisper nickered softly, nosing at Cailet’s pockets for treats. “I want one like that, Wisp. I want a shining house. It’s so beautiful As always her voice was barely above a whisper, but there was an element of breathless awe in the way she spoke now.

“Girl!” Her mother called, refusing to use her name in front of strangers, “Come! We’re going.” Gathering up the ends of Whispers reins, Cailet clucked him forward. As they approached the hut again, Cailet was looking at her mother instead. “What is going on, Mother?” She asked, stopping a couple yards from where they stood. “Are we going up?”

“Yes, we’re going up. You better behave, Koat says it’s a difficult path. If someone The word was emphasized with a glare at Man, “wasn’t so stubborn, we would continue on, perhaps to Wind Reach. But Someone wants to visit Lhavit.” Her mother snorted, making it clear that she did not agree with this decision. “So we’re going.”

Cailet had no idea what Lhavit was, but she had heard of Wind Reach. Having seen the fabled Wind Eagles flying above them one day, Cailet had asked as many questions as she dared about the volcanic city, enthralled. Maybe Lhavit would be even better, though she thought those beautiful birds would be hard to top. Excitement started to well up inside Cailets chest, sending the butterflies in her stomach into a frenzy. All of a sudden, she couldn’t wait any longer to see what lay at the end of the path with its shiny hut.

“Are you ready?” Came the call, only a few minutes later. Hachia Koat was mounted on a strange looking creature that Cailet had never seen before. He was waiting for them at the mouth of the pass, smiling genially and waving them forward. “We best start now, so’s to get there before dusk starts to fall.” Unaware of her Mother and Man once more, Cailet obliged their guide and was the first one to follow as he turned and headed up between the shrubs and trees that lined the path. With Whisper and the adults in tow, Cailet quickened her pace so she could catch up with Hachia.

He waited for them around the bend, and Cailet thought the smile on his lips was just for her. It had been a long time since she had seen such a happy face, his smile infectious enough that before long, Cailet was smiling shyly back. “Well aren’t you a pretty girl. What is your name?”

“Cailet. This is Whisper, but I call him Wisp. Hes our horse.” She was blushing furiously. Pretty? Her? “He’s a good horse. Sometimes I feed him treats…but only when no one is around. This last part was almost inaudible as she raised a finger to her lips. “Please don’t tell, sir, please. I’ll give you my whole stone collection if you don’t tell.” What had come over her! Why had she told him that! Furious with herself, Cailet’s smile disappeared and was replaced with a scowl.

Hachia saw Cailet’s reaction and threw a frown over his shoulder, his gaze landing on where Florena and Man trudged along. Cailet saw none of this though and only felt a warm hand on her shoulder, along with an equally warm chuckle. “I won’t tell, Cailet. I promise. You can keep your stone collection. Whisper is a beautiful horse. I’ll give him a treat when we get up the mountain, I promise.” When the little girl failed to respond, Hachia attempted to prod her into conversation. “Cailet is such a pretty name, and elegant.” The blush rose back into Cailets cheeks, though she still didn’t raise her gaze from the dirt path. “Does anyone ever call you Cai?” She shook her head, but looked up. “No sir. Cai.It was as if she was trying out the name, rolling it around her tongue like one would when tasting new food. “Cai….I like it!” Her smile was back. The young girl and the guide fell into easy conversation after that; Hachia trying to get Cailet to open up, while the girl reveled in the novelty of having someone to talk to after so long…someone that talked back.

Last edited by Cailet on August 27th, 2011, 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blue is Cailet...
Italics is Amanda...
Cailet
We know.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Cailet on August 27th, 2011, 5:55 am

“I must leave you here, Cailet.” Hachia actually sounded upset by this, a definite twang of sadness in his voice. “From here, you march right on into Lhavit. I saw how you looked at my hut…” He had gotten to know the child well on their hike, and paused for her blush and stutter as she tried to find an excuse to save her. “It’s alright, I looked at it the same way the first time I saw it. Lhavit is like a giant version of my hut.” The awestruck look on Cailets thin face sent Hachia to chuckling. “Oh, to be young and impressionable again. I’ll miss you, Cai. Come visit me when you come back down, eh?” Stooping, the guide pulled the little girl into a quick hug; he let go as her mother came around the corner, not wishing to get the child in trouble.

“You’ll have to state your business at the gate, Ma’am, but they should let you right in. From there, anyone on the street will direct you to the nearest inn, if that is your wish. Goodluck.” A quick bow to the adult’s, a wink for Cailet and a treat for Whisper and Hachia remounted his Okomo and started back down the hill.

Cailet watched him go for as long as she dared. Unfamiliar emotions raged within her, from confusion to anger to sadness. The hug she had gotten moments before had been the first she had ever had, as far as she could remember that is. And then he left. Though Cailet commonly acted older than her age, it was because of the duties laid upon her thin shoulders. In reality, she was only a child who didn’t understand the ways of the world. In the hours it had taken to climb the pass to the Amaranthine Gate, Cailet had grown extremely fond of their guide. Her young mind focused on the present, and the unusual happiness that she felt; she had not given a thought to the fact that Hachai would leave her in the end. It came as a surprise, and it hurt. Turning her face away as her Mother and Man approached the widening path to the Gate, Cailet wiped at the tears the burned her eyes, tracing shameful paths down her cheeks.

“Cailet! Hurry up!” With no time to mourn her new friend, Cai grabbed Whispers bridle and tugged, moving as fast as the tired horse would allow in order to catch up to the adults. They headed towards the mouth of the Amaranthine pass, and when Cailet rounded the corner it was like de-ja vu. She stopped in her tracks, and gaped. Though she didn’t think it was possible, the gate leading into Lhavit was even more beautiful than Hachia’s hut. “Oh…my…GOD!” Her hand dropped from Whispers bridle as her head tilted as far back as possible, hands clapping over her mouth, brown eyes wide as can be. “Wisp….its beauuuuutiful!”

Not allowed to stand in one place for long, Cai was quickly hurried along by her mother, who had left Man to come back and get her. By the time they returned to his side, Man had finished with the gate guard, and was waiting to usher them into the city. And though Cailet didn’t know it at the time, she had her first glimpse of her home at the most beautiful time of day within the city; right at twilight, as the sun began to sink beyond the mountains, the slowly appearing stars and moon setting the city aglow.

Blue is Cailet...
Italics is Amanda...
Cailet
We know.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Aspen on September 16th, 2011, 4:10 pm

Character: Caliet
Skills:
Lore: Sleeping Under Open Skies, Being Rained on While Asleep, Correctly Erecting a Tent, An Unthankful Mother, The Only Friend is Whisper, Hachia’s Skyglass Hut, The Beauty of Lhavit,

Notes: Really nice thread. I hope to see more of Caliet’s history this way.
If you think I missed anything, or have any question, don’t hesitate to drop me a message.
Lhavit Lore | Lhavit Forums | The Shinya | Zintila

"The stars are the jewels of the night,
and perchance surpass anything which
day has to show."
- Henry David Thoreau
Aspen
Your Local Tree

Words: 89936
Joined roleplay: June 18th, 2011, 10:13 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook