[Location] Suvai Pavilion

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Home of the Konti people, this ivory city is built of native konti stone half in and half out of the sea. Its borders touch the Silverwood, and stretch upwards towards Silver Lake, home of the infamous konti vision water. [Lore]

Postby Alice on May 13th, 2011, 8:01 pm

Anshun

Val’mara carefully took the trident from Anshun when offered and ran her hands across its surface. She tested the grip on the handle, touched the prongs with two fingers and looked at the pointed edges. Her trained eye was likely to discover details Anshun couldn’t discern, but eventually she handed it back to him. A slight nod indicated satisfaction or approval and left the interpretation to the visitor.

At the question of payment, she gave a short laugh. “Payment is only required in exchange for lessons from masters. Training can be done at any time and with anyone, provided they agree to spar with you.” Her voice was quiet and her words precise. She meant what she said, and she wouldn’t lie. Of course, the concept of honesty came natural to all Konti due to their special knowledge, some kind of sixth sense. If Anshun hadn’t already noticed, he would pretty soon.

He showed interest in his sparring partners which was a good sign in Val’mara’s book. Knowing one’s enemy proved to be a crucial point in combat. While the short-haired Konti and her sparring partner discussed the fight and exchanged tips, he followed his look and explained: “Her name is Gvana’ii. She has started training only a season ago, following her mother’s advice. But she has spirit and a lot of energy. Too much sometimes. She is like fire in battle. And sometimes fire gets out of control.” Val’mara curled her lips, musing over the metaphor for a while, before she called them, switching to Kontinese.

Gvana’ii approached and regarded the Charoda with a glance burning of curiosity. “Who is this?” she asked in accented Common, excitement in her voice. Val’mara merely said: “He would like to spar with you, trident versus suvai.” The girl looked at Anshun again, her interest further augmented. “I’d love to! Show me what a trident can do, will you? But don’t be upset if the suvai wins... because it will win.” She laughed, and dimples formed in her cheeks. Self-confidence certainly was her strength.

OOCIf there's nothing else you need from Val'mara, go ahead and open a new thread for the fight. You can rp Gvana'ii as a NPC. She's about your level of proficiency, and obviously quite vain and energetic.

Quelen

Naturally, the Suvai Pavilion was crowded as ever. The sparring room was large with several training circles painted on the floor, but still it always appeared to be crowded. Konti moved about and white hair swayed as their weapons danced together. A particularly short Konti, however, was leaning against the wall and watching them, seemingly lost in thought. A couple of throwing daggers were tucked in her belt.

When Quelen approached and addressed her, she turned her head. A radiant smile formed on her features. A stranger! What an interesting sight for someone who had never gotten away from Konti Isle, who had never felt the Call... “Hello! Kariha? Oh, she’s on the balcony, meditating or whatever she’s doing there every day. Just behind that door.” She pointed to a door at the back of the room that stood slightly ajar. Through it Quelen could catch glimpses of wood and water.

If she walked outside, she would indeed see a Konti with a long ponytail sitting on the wooden balcony with her legs crossed, a katana scabbard placed across them and her palms on her knees. When she heard Quelen’s steps, she opened her eyes, an expression of serenity on her face. “You asked for me? How can I help you?”
Mura ... Starting Guide ... Konti

"Shard by shard she rearranges the world.
It looks the same, she says, but it is not. It looks as they expect, but it is not."

Gregory Maguire, "Wicked"
Alice
Shade of Grey

Words: 221259
Joined roleplay: October 17th, 2009, 4:51 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 3
Featured Contributor (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Quelen Dran'Sora on May 14th, 2011, 7:03 pm

"Thank you very much," Quelen responded to the Konti with the daggers with a warm smile of her own, and then gave a polite nod of her head before heading over to the door the woman had indicated.

Carefully pushing the door open a little more she stepped out onto the balcony, and before she could say anything the Konti there opened her eyes and spoke to her. Still smiling warmly Quelen gave a little nod before responding, "Yes, Blythe said I should come talk to you about learning about how Konti dance. I was hoping you could teach me some of the ones that are very unique to the Konti themselves?"
Quelen Dran'Sora
Alt of Alenias, One-armed Musician

Words: 41376
Joined roleplay: January 12th, 2011, 6:04 pm
Race: Charoda
Character sheet

Postby Alice on May 28th, 2011, 7:14 pm

The Konti greeted Quelen’s expression with a half-smile of her own, indicating that she was more amused by the request than anything. So Blythe was advertising for her? She wasn’t sure whether she liked that or not. Nevertheless, she stayed true to her reputation of giving everyone a chance and turning no potential student away. And someone even asked for dance lessons!

Lifting the scabbard from her knees, she stood and gave some sort of brief bow to the one-armed Charoda. “And who might you be? I can teach you a bit about our dances, but I won’t do it without getting paid. In order to receive, you must first give. Is there anything you have to offer, anything of interest? Knowledge perhaps, or skills, something you could do for me?” She smiled as if to soothe Quelen. “Don’t worry, you surely have something that’s of use to me. We’ll work something out.”

While listening to any suggestions, she let the katana scabbard rest against the outer wall of the pavilion. Then she let her body relax and looked over Silver Lake. As expected, the balcony had no balustrade. There was no invisible line dividing the wooden floor and the still water below. Just like the lake, Kariha believed that dance was infinite. There was so much one could express through it.

However, the point was whether the Charoda understood the bartering system, whether she knew how to present her strengths.

It looks the same, she says, but it is not. It looks as they expect, but it is not."

Alice
Shade of Grey

Office
Scrapbook
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Quelen Dran'Sora on May 31st, 2011, 3:48 pm

"Of course," Quelen responded with a nod, having expected this from what Blythe said, "I know of Charodae song and dance, which I would happily share with you, and also I know of edible plants of mostly the water, but also of the land," she took a slow breath, hoping she had thought right, "The thing I think you'll be most interested in though is my ability to shape coral. I know there are some pretty coral in the Silver Lake. I could make a sculpture of living coral for you, unlike anything that a non-Charoda artist could make, or if given enough time I could even make you a small home out in the Silver Lake, away from the rest of Mura and completely made of coral."

Feeling a little nervous Quelen shifted her weight to her right foot, waiting to see if Mistress Kariha would accept what she offered.
Quelen Dran'Sora

Character sheet

Postby Alice on June 7th, 2011, 8:11 pm

Kariha merely watched the Charoda’s eagerness, observing the foreign skin color and anatomical features. Tentacles instead of hair, webbed fingers not unlike the Konti’s own, blue skin and strange eyes... Obviously the Konti hadn’t seen too many Charodae in her lifetime and was fascinated. However, she also noted what kind of skills and abilities her opponent offered.

Her words cast the image of corals changing shape into Kariha’s mind, something so strange and new that the Konti couldn’t help but laugh a little. The sound was subdued and echoed across the lake like a small bell. Although she was fidgeting with nervousness, the Charoda was so eager to offer up what she could do! But then, the thought of having a home shaped of coral caused her to smile again. Then she shook her head and a few strands of white hair escaped her ponytail. “No no, I already have a home, although it certainly is a fascinating ability. I’m actually more interested in how your race dances. I’d love to learn it underwater too. If you still want to shape corals for me, we’ll see about a small souvenir later, all right?”

Suddenly she stepped forward, nodded and offered her right hand to Quelen. “It’s a deal. I teach you about Konti dances, you teach me about Charoda dances. The only thing I find missing is your name.” Amusement curled her lips. Somehow that Charoda knew how to entertain others, despite her physical disability. Probably all of them were like her, but Kariha didn’t know.

The contract would be sealed with a handshake, and after deciding on a time and day for the first lesson, they’d part with the promise of meeting again.

OOCFeel free to post once more or leave it as is. As for the training thread, you could either wait for me to think up some basics about Konti dances or invent them yourself... but I'd very much prefer the first option! The payment for Kariha needs to be RPed out as well. Further discussion via PM, please. :)

Alice
Shade of Grey

Office
Scrapbook
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Quelen Dran'Sora on June 9th, 2011, 4:45 pm

Quelen shifted her wait nervously back to her left foot as Kariha started to speak, and she held her breath as the first word was no followed by another no. When the Konti fully expressed her thoughts though Quelen let her breath out and her face practically split with a smile, "Yes, thank you!" she gave a relieved little laugh as she took Kariha's hand and shook it, "I'm Quelen Dran'Sora, and I look forward to learning with you Mistress Kariha."

Quelen was estatic, wanting to dive off of the balcony and into the Silver Lake in a show of joy, but she restrained herself to a happy little bouncing on the balls of her feet. Her first major step in her journey was beginning! After working out a time for them to meet again she bowed her head quickly to Kariha, and then turned to leave, skipping along the way as she hummed delightedly to herself.
Quelen Dran'Sora

Character sheet

Postby Sa'Flora on October 1st, 2011, 11:05 pm

31 of Fall, 511 AV

Sa'Flora had heard many things about the Suvai Pavilion, and she knew that the women who practiced here were usually amazing weapon masters. And knowing that fact, Flora was unsure about going. She was going to train, to figure out how to use the iron fan that she had bought at the Heart of Steel.

She walked into the building, and it seemed quiet enough; Syna had risen about four hours ago, so it was still a somewhat early morning. She looked around the building, holding her battle-fan in her hands, unsure of what to do next. Did she simply start practicing on her own, or should she ask for help?

Knowing that she wouldn't have a clue what to do on her own, she decided to ask for help. Not knowing specifically who to talk to, she announced herself to the room and said:

"Excuse me, is there anyone here who can help me learn the ways of fighting with this fan?"
She waited patiently for someone to answer her.
Sa'Flora
Seer of Sorrows

Words: 9947
Joined roleplay: September 25th, 2011, 4:15 pm
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Cachet on October 5th, 2011, 12:42 pm

Please continue here

Her request seemed to fall on deaf ears, at first. There didn’t seem to be anyone here at all; her only company the gentle wind from across the lake. It was quiet…very quiet here. Bamboo style mats laid out on the floor for sparring seemed so lonely without students on them practicing. It was quiet….serene really. There was a set of stairs on the far side that led up to the pavilions second story, but even she knew that was where the masters were. That is where they practiced and meditated. She knew better than to try and go up there. That space was reserved for the masters of the pavilion…which she was not. The wind caressed her gently for a few moments and her words still seemed to hang in the void. Was anyone even here at all? Just as she was about to give up a lone figure same down the stairs.

She was an average height figure, although her features weren’t totally feminine or masculine. They were somewhere in between. But Sa’Flora would be able to tell she was indeed Konti by the shimmering of her scales. She had white blond hair that was a mess and not past her chin. But her lips and eyes were decorated with blue makeup against her pale white face. She wore white baggy pants with a matching robed top. At each of her sides was an ornate suvai in its custom made holster. She walked with a purpose, no feminine sway in her steps as she approached Sa’Flora.

Her eyes wondered over the figure before her. Who would come at this time and request such an odd thing? She saw the fan the woman held in her hand and it made her curious. Why would someone buy such a strange weapon? Then she thought back to her experience as a mercenary. There were plenty of times a fan would’ve been easy to get into places. And a steel fan, well that would’ve made plenty of jobs easier for her. She held out a hand and waited for the woman to give it to her. She then turned it over in her hands. It was heavy. The outside of the case made of a dense metal. She then opened it and examined it further. Each of the fan barbs were made of metal as well, but at first glance it wouldn’t appear so. The fan barbs were also pointed and sharpened at the ends and protruded a little from the fan material. Perfect for cutting someone while the fan was open. The material itself was a thick and canvas like with bright colors; this was to distract your enemy while you attacked them. She turned the weapon over in her hands and nodded somewhat.

“An elegant weapon. Interesting.” She said folding it up and handing it back. “You will have great trouble finding anyone skilled in this weapon, however I have heard of this weapon and seen its use in my travels. Very effective if you combine either two of these together or martial arts.” She said as she nodded again and looked the woman over again.

She seemed promising enough. Like she would be able to learn enough, and to tell the truth Val’mara had always wanted to learn of this ornate weapon. Not like she had the seduction or body to put it to real use. It was often a weapon used by prostitutes or courtesans because it was easy for them to hide. But when properly used this weapon was indeed something to be feared, it’s elegance was almost unmatched. “Yes I believe I can help you with this.”

Listen to the island
The waves and wind
That is the pulse
Note it, feel it
And become one with serenity

Cachet
The Murian Beach Bum (6zillion)

Words: 144588
Joined roleplay: August 21st, 2011, 3:01 am
Office

Previous