Dead Men Tell The Best Tales (Zatar)

Zatar meets a sea-going specter.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

An inland sea created by Ivak's cataclismic fury during the Valterrian, the Suvan Sea is a major trade route and the foremost hub for piracy in Mizahar. [lore]

Postby Auldwin on October 9th, 2011, 8:12 pm

Auldwin could see his descriptions of Ghostly interference with the living put Zatar on edge. He raised a hand to put the man at ease, or at least did his best attempt, "Worry not, I don't take any interest in doing such things to the living. The last thing I'd want is someone to share the same fate I have. Well, unless they deserve it." he emphasized. For most purposes, it would have seemed like two men having a conversation at sea, except one of the men faded in and out of existence on occasion. Keeping oneself materialized was harder than Auldwin imagined, even with all of the practice he had with it.

Materialization was probably the most direct form of self-centered involvement the Ghost had ever been apart of, dead or alive. It took a conscious effort to keep your focus on yourself, until your Soulmist reflexively began to build the body of that which you once had. Some started from their facial features, but Auldwin found it easiest to start from the ground up. His boots and trousers were probably the most simplistic things to re-create, and luckily his body was not unusual in any way. He was not obese or overly muscular. He was of middle age and just a typical Human. The outfit he wore in life just before he died was the same thing he wore constantly now as a Ghost, as it made the most distinctive impression upon him, being a part of his last living moments. It was probably too heavy for Summer wear, but for the cool autumn time it was appropriate.

"You talk of the Gods and revenge. It is my own fault for not believing in them with more fervor when I was alive, but it appears the Gods forsake you completely when you're dead. Or at least, when you're in this existence. I suppose it's a blessing and a curse, to be completely ignored by such folks in this state. But what of your revenge, hm? As a Ghost, money, items, titles, and land have no value to me, but making proper connections with the living does." You good deed deserves another, so to speak. Ghosts needed little in the way of worldly possessions. Or to be more specific, they needed nothing at all. Favors however, were powerful things. If Auldwin was going to find the Ghost he sought one day, he would most likely need aid from others who traveled the area. "What happened that makes you search for vengeance while you're alive? I never had such feelings while I took in breath, but now I will say, I do feel differently."
Auldwin
In this state I can find a purpose.

Words: 166853
Joined roleplay: October 1st, 2011, 11:48 pm
Race: Ghost
Character sheet
Medals: 1
2011 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Zatar on October 11th, 2011, 5:01 am

Stormcatcher

Zatar attempted to calm himself at least outwardly, he didn't need to appear as a coward to this ethereal being. First impressions are important, and he could at least attempt to keep a straighter face, and to keep his wits under control. "Well that's... comforting" he replied to the ghosts assurances with only a slight tremor in his voice.

Now that his heart rate had been lowered enough for conscious thought to be possible Zatar noticed that the apparition in front of him seemed to blink in and out of distinct appearance. Almost as if it was having to actively work to remain a crisp shape. But a question unasked will always remain unanswered. "Why does your shape seem to flicker in and out of existence?"

The subject the ghost entered next was close to home, he began speaking of the god's and revenge. But Zatar recoiled at the beings casualness when it spoke of the divine powers. "Quiet yourself, it is foolish to slight the god's in the land they hold dominion over. The very existence of my race is due to the good graces of Laviku the lord of the sea."

But the next question was both simple to ask and easy to answer. "I live for the utter destruction of those who slew my pod. I live for the death of the sons and daughters of Myri, and I will do anything to ensure that it comes about."
Zatar
Player

Words: 7652
Joined roleplay: October 3rd, 2011, 8:18 pm
Race: Human, Svefra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Auldwin on October 11th, 2011, 12:50 pm

"Hmph. That's a difficult question to answer when speaking to someone made of flesh and bone." Auldwin explained, although to describe it was not completely unreasonable. Though it had been years since he inhabited a proper body, namely his own, he still had lingering remnants of the feeling of what it was like. At the very least he could compare it to something definable, "Imagine taking a stone and holding it out at arms reach. Not too bad at first. But soon your hand starts to ache. Your grip starts to losen. Then your arm begins trembling. After a while that stone feels like it weighs one hundred times as much, so your arm starts sagging. You see it happen, so you push your arm out harder to keep that rock as far from your body as you can."

Keeping a solid form in the shape of his past life was difficulty. It was like trying to shape spilt water with your hands. Then, once you had it in the right shape, you had to hold it. Constantly. Any momentary lapse in concentration resulted in the appropriate disquieting of the imagine you tried to portray, "The flickering is my 'muscles' trembling. Essentially. But it allows me to not have to concentrate on moving at the same speed as your ship." Of course right after he said that, the Ghost realized that could have been a rather foreign concept as well, "As I was previously, I wasn't actually occupying space upon your boat, just following it. If I didn't, as it moved forward I would stay in place."

As a more appropriate description, Auldwin allowed his Soulmist to relax, taking back his original translucent appearance. As the boat moved through the water, Auldwin's shape simply lingered in the air, sliding further and further away. Once he got his point across, he simply materialized rather instantly back to his origional position in front of Zatar.

Of course he could understand the Svefra's duty to the Gods, it was a part of his history. Still, as Auldwin regained his solid form, he shook his head slightly, "No no, not slighting them, just lamenting. Whether I like it or not, I'm not a part of their domain anymore. The Gods simply cannot recognize me in this state. It is as it is. But..." he continued, "...whether they recognize me or not I still remember that those of Myri are not so easily slain. Are you trained for war?"
Auldwin

Character sheet

Postby Zatar on October 17th, 2011, 9:29 pm

Stormcatcher

Zatar listened intently as the ghost began to explain his difficulty in remaining fully visible. Over the course of his conversation so far with this ghost Zatar had come to a glaring realization. Being a ghost sucked. Not only did it suck, but it was exceptionally difficult just to exist, constant attention was apparently needed. If roles were reversed Zatar knew for a fact that he wouldn't be able to focus for five minute. Thinking about the years of unending attention needed gave the Svefra a headache just thinking about it. "Well isn't that just a wonderful thought... How do you manage to focus for so long? I would be distracted by a cool breeze, the song of a passing bird, or even the lapping of a wave against my ship..."

Zatar phased out of attention as the ghost began to wax philosophical about his existance, but was drawn into instant focus when his companion merely floated away. Or more properly ceased to move when the boat left it's place. "Shyke, you weren't exaggerating were you."

Zatar shook his head slowly as the ghost spoke of the god's, he could not accept this explanation. "Whether or not you accept this you are part of the domain of the god's. The living and the dead are their's to command, even those in-between are under their power. I have passed the island of death in the years of my sailing, you are most certainly in the domain of the gods.

Zatar sighed audibly at the conclusion of the ghosts statement. "Not nearly as well as I should be, however I am learning" he said pointing to the target that was pinned to one of the ships walls. "I have been practicing the art of throwing blades, although I admit I am not exceptionally adept at it."
Zatar
Player

Words: 7652
Joined roleplay: October 3rd, 2011, 8:18 pm
Race: Human, Svefra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Auldwin on October 18th, 2011, 3:23 am

"That island of the dead is called Black Rock, it's where I originally learned...quite a few things about being what I am now. The focus is like anything else, you get better at it the more you do it." he said with the best shrug he could manage given his state. Being a Ghost did suck, there wasn't much to be said against that fact. Almost any Ghost was constantly battling a barrage of emotions, mostly negative, that dealt with their state of being. Some Ghosts had plunged past the point of no return, turning into true ethereal monsters. Others, like the professor from Black Rock, seemed to keep nearly every bit of their humanity. That man's emotions were safely in check. Auldwin would be unable to call him a better 'man', but a better Ghost he certainly was.

"Throwing blades, eh?" Auldwin mused, wandering over toward the target. He looked at the grouping for a moment before adding, "You've got a long way to go. If you try and fail, you realize you could end up like me, locked into this limbo. You're going to need some allies. A whole heap of them most likely. You'll need miza's too, most important I'd say..." the ghost continued pondering to himself. He was pacing, just as he did in life. He would continue upon a path, short and straight, perhaps only three or four steps only to turn and come back the way he came.

Why was a Ghost thinking about such a thing so intently? Allies were a powerful thing to have, especially when you were a Ghost. Just as Zatar had mentioned, Auldwin's ability to interact with the world was limited, but there was a very specific set of tasks he could provide in exchange for worldly help. He couldn't ever forget just how fragile the living body was. So easily was he torn away from life. "Bring those throwing knives out. Lets see what kind of ability you've got with them." the Ghost finally determined, his request simple.
Auldwin

Character sheet

Postby Trident on December 3rd, 2011, 10:58 pm

Auldwin

Skills:
  • Materialization +4

Lores:
  • The Process of Blinking
  • Meeting a Svefra
  • Svefra Religion [Basic]
  • Don't Slight a God in His Domain
  • Fading In and Out
  • Zatar [Basic]

Zatar

Skills:
  • Rhetoric +2
  • Sailing +2
  • Observation +1

Lores:
  • Cleaning a Ship [Basic]
  • Meeting a Ghost
  • Ghost Hunters
  • Ghostly Abilities [Very Basic]
  • Auldwin [Basic]

Comments: Nice thread, guys! It was an interesting play off of each other that you guys had. Shame to see this thread cut short!

If you have any questions about my ruling, feel free to PM me!

Development ThreadDS OfficeSuvan SeaSuvan Sea Lore

---

Accepting more moderated threads now on a limited basis. PM me for more information.
Trident
Welcome to no man's land

Words: 105060
Joined roleplay: November 19th, 2011, 3:58 am
Race: Staff account
Office
Featured Contributor (1)

Previous