What is metagaming?

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Feel free to post all your Mizahar related discussions here.

What is metagaming?

Postby Bolden Denusk on October 18th, 2011, 2:57 am

Post here about metagaming and your newbie opinions on what newbies want in regards to PC's knowing what their players know. Quit stomping in goss's scrap and post all you want to over here. *waves a stick in the air* post here instead!

Use common sense. don't make your pc magically know things they shouldn't--it just makes you look cheesy and no one will want to rp with you. No one needs yet another beginner marker they'll ignore--like the starter pm.

-------------------------------------------------------------
by Baine Coolwater on Today, 7:06 pm
This has really given me a lot to think about. From my perspective, just coming in, it's hard breaking the habit of doing what's needed to "rank up" your character so that he/she is strong enough to do what you want them to do...

Though I do agree, foibles, warts, and boils do add some terrific color to characters.

Thanks for writing this. I do have a suggestion, if I may. This would be a terrific subject for a discussion thread... sort of a hmm. "Discussion thread on what makes a Misahar role player."

I think it would be of great value. Especially if it were a sticky in the founders forum. People tend to read everything there. At least, that's what I've found.

Mizahar is as advertised; it's not like any role play site I've played on. To me, it's more of a round robin story telling forum.

Oh, yeah and please, feel free to tell me "suddup" and "who asked ya." XD

B.

by Jonathon DuFraine on Today, 8:02 pm
I suppose so. Still, it would be nice if that was told to every newbie coming to the site; at the very least it would be a sign the ST's could point at.

But meh. I guess you're right.

by Bob Barton on Today, 8:36 pm
I don't really like to post in other people's scraps but seeing the latest one here I just can't resist putting this in. (tons of pics)
------------------------------------------------------------
Everyone wiped their muddy feet across her scrap until she showed she was ticked off and yet more kept posting after!
by Gossamer on 55 minutes ago
*rage quits her own scrap*

------------------------------------------------------------------
by Kamalia Timandre on 47 minutes ago
I remember when Marlow and another friend collaborated on a blog called "Role versus Player", where Role is personified as someone who cares about the plot and character development than anything else, and opposing Player, who is trying to win the game because that's what he thinks the goal is, and prioritizes the skill progression of the character above all else. It's too bad I lost the link to that blog, but I loved it as it made a clear distinction between those players. Both personas wrote well-reasoned arguments.

It's clear that said writer is a Player. If he's afraid to see his character screwed up because of Overgiving, then he should have paid heed to "Do's and Don'ts of roleplaying magic in Mizahar": Don't take magic unless you are prepared to see your PC changed, messed up, maimed or killed by it. Magic is terribly serious in Mizahar - it's great as long as it works, then it gets horrible.

While Player might see Overgiving as a limitation, a Role sees it as a character development tool. What happens when the character loses all his magic? What will be left of him? How would he react when he starts growing another limb made entirely of ice? Or if his body starts getting covered by granite plates?

Metagaming - now that's the word I've been looking for! Despite having an impressive knowledge of game mechanics, would anyone want their character to appear this way?
------------------------------------------------------------------
Give Jen a break a post here instead
Last edited by Bolden Denusk on October 18th, 2011, 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bolden Denusk
Cursed

Words: 196002
Joined roleplay: July 14th, 2011, 7:37 pm
Blog: View Blog (6)
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Medals: 1
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Give Goss a break and post here instead!

Postby Aidara on October 18th, 2011, 3:05 am

I appreciate what you are doing Lisa, but I think people were just having fun.

Enough is enough, but I don't think anyone meant anything bad by it *Huggles and squishes* I wish I was lucky like Jen and had a Defense-Force :(

...Maybe I can mooch off Jen...

....and make an application for the Jen/Jules Defense Force! (Though Jen [and I] can stand up for herself [myself], it's fun to have people jump up next to you screaming and waving pans and pitchforks)

!!!! Brilliant idea, right?!?!
Aidara
The "i" is silent

Words: 946840
Joined roleplay: October 6th, 2010, 5:20 am
Race: Human, Inarta
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 10
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Peer Reviewer (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Wind Reach Seasonal  Challenge (1)
Power Fork (1) 2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Seven Xu on October 18th, 2011, 3:07 am

This seems a little over the top.
Seven Xu
Rhetoric can't raise the dead.

Words: 567538
Joined roleplay: April 30th, 2011, 11:02 pm
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Bolden Denusk on October 18th, 2011, 3:09 am

sorry. i guess if i were any dog breed, i'd be a pitbull. loyal to the end. I didn't mean you Jules *hugs* her scrap was outta control butt crazy! I tried to wave off the *names here* and redirect the flow somewhere else. I was only trying to help her, Cody. *sighs*
Bolden Denusk
Cursed

Words: 196002
Joined roleplay: July 14th, 2011, 7:37 pm
Blog: View Blog (6)
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Medals: 1
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Aidara on October 18th, 2011, 3:15 am

Lisa. Focus. Defense. Force.....?!?!
Aidara
The "i" is silent

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Kamalia Timandre on October 18th, 2011, 3:18 am

I was writing that post, before I saw her last post. :)

I am sorry if you think we're trolling her scrapbook.
Kamalia Timandre
I send a hail of burning ice!

Words: 254985
Joined roleplay: September 8th, 2009, 8:37 am
Blog: View Blog (1)
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Featured Thread (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Trailblazer (4) Advocate (1)

Postby Gossamer on October 18th, 2011, 3:27 am

This discussion is a valid one best done here instead of my scrap. Im just hellishly busy at work or I would have responded more and with proper humor. Im not mad but found the whole thing very fun....like Jules said. I was kidding about rage quitting my own scrap.

Let's title this thread better and discuss metagaming and everyone's views in it. Great idea Lisa.

Ps. You guys were trolling my scrap but I don't mind.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6356204
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Baine Coolwater on October 18th, 2011, 3:35 am

Gossamer:

I apologize, I didn't realize commenting on someone's scrap was out of line. I've done it a few times. :\

I'll make sure to delete those posts.

B.
Baine Coolwater
Player

Words: 9273
Joined roleplay: October 7th, 2011, 8:40 pm
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Aidara on October 18th, 2011, 3:41 am

Blaine! No, that's not what she meant. Commenting on a scrap is fine, Bolden was just concerned over the amount of pictures being put in Jen's scrap.

Don't delete your posts! Your opinions ALWAYS count!
Aidara
The "i" is silent

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Seven Xu on October 18th, 2011, 3:51 am

I'm not sure if the following is a metagaming woe, but it's on the same general track of PCs inexplicably knowing what they shouldn't. It irritates me when people are super empaths without any sort of special ability that dictates such (Konti gifts, for instance). For instance, there was this PC who shall remain nameless that based her entire IC hatred on my PC on an unconscious thought process he had. There was no indication that he was being anything but polite, but she was either a post-skimmer* or thought she deserved full access to his mind because she had a skill of like 5 in hypnotism. The entire thing blossomed into some strange character development in the end, I guess, but honestly it annoyed me more than anything and it's happened to me more than once.

When a person writes a thought process in their post, it doesn't give you free reign to take those thoughts into full consideration. Can you imagine thinking something about someone, only to have them immediately figure you out? It's unrealistic. And for a person that plays an introvert, it really sucks.
Seven Xu
Rhetoric can't raise the dead.

Words: 567538
Joined roleplay: April 30th, 2011, 11:02 pm
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Next