Nano Prompts and weekly/daily challenges!

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This forum contains all the NaNo threads from years gone past. Thus far we have only 2011 archived! But hopefully we'll have a ton more forthcoming as the years go by and NaNo's come and go.

Moderator: Traverse

Postby Oracle on October 31st, 2011, 7:09 pm

I know this is a day early, but hopefully it'll get those creative juices flowing.

Stuck writing and don't know where to go from there, or just feel like incorporating a little challenge into your writing? Feel free to grab one of these prompts and see where it takes you!

I'll be updating this with new prompts hopefully several times a week. Feel free to add your own as well. :)

I'll start everything off with a few pulled out of my proverbial hat here:
  • Encounter with a wolf, double the fun if you are in a crowded city square
  • Include a modern day movie reference in such a way it does not contradict with the lore.
  • Teach your character how to cook, if this is their first time this should be quite interesting indeed.
  • Use the phrase: "No, I do not want to have your child. Why would you think I would?"
  • Give your character a fever dream.
  • Monkeys...double the fun if you are no where near the Spires.
  • If your character is a storyteller (Vantha here is looking at you) have them spin a lovely tale about one of our founders (no names and remember to stay within the lore) and their adventures here.
  • Give your PC an imaginary friend for the day.
  • Learn a new skill, make sure it is a useless one and spend all day tracking down an NPC to teach you said skill. Ex: underwater basket weaving.

Keep an eye out for more updates and weekly challenges. Even if I can't make my word count...I will sure as heck help you reach yours.

Today's writing challenge: Spend 10 minutes free writing about your character's personality and traits. Would be a good time to really get to know them. Don't worry about content, just let the words come. Afterward review what you have written and think about what traits you want them to have. Pre-plan a way to make this happen.

Happy writing!

EDIT: If you use a prompt, if you feel like it please include a thread with it. I would love to read them!! :D

Last edited by Oracle on October 31st, 2011, 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zeltiva Lore****Zeltiva Forum****The University

Please see my absence thread if I have not responded in some way in over 24 hours
Oracle
AS of Zeltiva

Words: 53472
Joined roleplay: September 4th, 2011, 2:41 am
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook

Postby Legion on October 31st, 2011, 8:01 pm

You made me laugh. I love your ideas. Here’s a few more.

• Give your PC a completely ridiculous/outrageous/silly thread goal and write the thread in the theme of a comedy of errors. Examples: Finding out how much money is at the bottom of Kova’s Well, locating “that bar with the blue drink” in Alvadas.
  • Tell the story of how your PC met their best childhood friend.
  • Offer to guest mod for another player!
  • Get in all of those “devotional threads” to whatever god/dess you might be aiming toward a gnosis mark from.
  • Show the story an acquaintance/friend/family member/coworker of your PC would tell about them. “You don’t know Caelum? Oh, my gods. Let me tell you about that time he was in the Spires and flicked off a tree..”
Legion

Denval Forum | Denval News | Denval Lore
Lhavit Forum | Lhavit News | Lhavit Lore

I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.
Legion
Boom, backflip.

Words: 114213
Joined roleplay: September 10th, 2011, 6:23 pm
Office
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Growl on November 1st, 2011, 1:58 am

And some more:

*Use a location in your thread, that you have never used before
*Send your pc into a sticky situation, which is nearly impossible to get out of
*Get into a fight. Go hunting. Have your pc get injured, and tell the stories of his or her adventures, of each scar. Play them up a little if you wish
*Have your pc overgive... a lot
*Have your pc try and steal something from a temple... mind your hands when someone tries to cut them off, if you are caught
*Have your pc make a new friend, and a new enemy
*Have your pc tame some sort of animal, and keep it as a pet/companion
*If you don't have a job, try to get one... or beg. Begging is good...
I carry the words of the dead.
Growl
Lost Soul

Words: 167857
Joined roleplay: April 27th, 2011, 12:51 pm
Office

Postby Oracle on November 1st, 2011, 9:00 pm

Well it's day one. How do you feel? Still feeling all pumped up and excited!? I should hope so cause it's gonna be a long bumpy ride, but well worth it!

Today's writing challenge: In honor of the recently past Halloween and other holidays honoring the dead such as Dia De Los Muertos I come to you with this challenge today, write about the dead.

Either:
  • Kill your character (in a dream please, otherwise it might be hard to finish this month)
  • Kill another character (with permission please! Find someone who wants to retire a PC and give them a jolly good send off!)
  • Kill an NPC (low level here, no shop keeps)
  • Write a thread in memory of someone in your character's past who has passed on
  • If you have past lives spend some time remembering them and reflecting on those past choices
  • Write a thread honoring the dead
  • Become a follower of Dira
  • Write out a murder fantasy if you really feel like getting creative

Have some fun and give a shout out to the dead. :)

Enjoy.

And if you are joining up for today's prompts here they are:
  • Write an entire thread contemplating vegetables and the meaning of life.
  • Light a building on fire
  • Light yourself on fire
  • (a follow up to yesterday's suggestion of getting a job) Lose your job.
  • Discover a new plant life. (Maybe a good jumping off point to create a wiki article...just saying)

Well my little Nano heads...that is all for now. Happy typing, may your keys wear thin and your coffee cup overflow.

Cheers,

Oracle

Please see my absence thread if I have not responded in some way in over 24 hours
Oracle
AS of Zeltiva

Office
Scrapbook

Postby Oracle on November 3rd, 2011, 5:10 pm

Greetings and salutations,

Three days in and so far so good! Everyone seems to be enjoying themselves pretty well. :)

I will be gone for the weekend working so today's challenge will be a bit more complicated then previous ones.

Today's Challenge:

Words are important. Words have power and meaning, lots of them are good and well...but do they have power? This weekend's challenge: Start an uprising, riot, flash mob, angry mob, a political movement or social movement in your city. Give a moving speech for a cause your character feels strongly about. For instance: have your character give a speech on the rights of Pycons; show discontent with their working conditions; speak out against the slave trade or for the slave trade; start a petition for more booze. What ever you want or feel strongly about as a character.

If you feel the impact would be city wide or open up a plot in your city make sure to bring it to your local storyteller's attention first and clear it with them. We don't want to step on any toes.

Today's prompts:
  • Describe the perfect day. (500 words)
  • Get Drunk and tell the Bartender your life story.
  • Investigate a "known" haunted locations, if you are a ghost decided to start haunting a location and have fun with pulling pranks on the locals.
  • Isolate your character in the middle of no where and find ways for them to "entertain themselves"
  • Isolate your character and write a solo thread over the space of a week (In game) where they slowly go mad.
  • Write about your most prized possession.
  • Buy an animal.
  • Taunt a God/Goddess

That's it for now. Happy writing.

Cheers,

Oracle

Oracle
AS of Zeltiva

Office
Scrapbook

Postby Oracle on November 6th, 2011, 7:06 pm

Greetings fellow Mizaharians!

Loving the word count guys! Keep up the good word and muscle through those threads, you can do it!

Today's Challenge: Let's keep it simple eh? How about...Oh I don't know. Let's fall in love. :) Find a PC and find some happiness. If you don't feel like that much of a commitment you can fall in love with anything: A new pet, a new restaurant, a new recipe, a new sword, a new pair of shoes...whatever you want! Write a thread to those lovely objects and people in your PC's life.

Cheers and happy writing,

Oracle

Oracle
AS of Zeltiva

Office
Scrapbook

Postby Oracle on November 7th, 2011, 4:39 pm

It's been one week! Give yourself a pat on the back and a cold swig of soda/beer. Time to be proud of yourself for what you have accomplished. Even if you are a bit behind, look at what you have done! Also remember that this is not a race. It is about challenging yourself as a writer and learning something new about yourself each day and bettering yourself. Don't even look at your word count if it worries you, ignore it and just write! Just let go, and all those creative juices brewing away in your brain...just let them out! :)

Today's Challenge: We've done love, what fun is love? Today I want you to dip into the darker side of emotion. I want you to hate. I want you to make an enemy today, a lasting rival that will haunt you and make you angry at the mere thought of them. So go out there and start a fight, poke a guard member, steal something, stomp on a foot, poke someone in the eye. Just go out and ruffle some feathers/furs/skins.

Cheers and happy writing,

Oracle.

On a side note: Thank you to Legion for this gem -

Give your PC a completely ridiculous/outrageous/silly thread goal and write the thread in the theme of a comedy of errors. Examples: Finding out how much money is at the bottom of Kova’s Well, locating “that bar with the blue drink” in Alvadas.

Fela has already used this one in her most recent thread A Baker's Dozen? Blah!. Thank you for the inspiration to go a little crazy. :)

Oracle
AS of Zeltiva

Office
Scrapbook