Travel Time Committee Volunteers Needed!

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Feel free to post all your Mizahar related discussions here.

Postby Gossamer on November 19th, 2011, 8:18 am

Travel Times

Greetings Mizaharians!

Its time we solved this travel time problem once and for all. So, I've been thinking and thinking and thinking about it and I finally have a solution. I'm going to start from one city and determine all the places you can realistically get to from that city and calculate travel times based on means of travel, season, and skill.

So... I need folks working on this to help. We'll make decisions as a group and carefully map a few things... like shipping routes, easiest overland routes, etc.

I'll probably work region by region. Hows this going to manifest?

Lets take Alvadas for example:

Alvadas to Riverfall
Alvadas to Denval
Alvadas to Sultros
Alvadas to Kalinor
Alvadas to Syliras
Alvadas to Kenash
Alvadas to Karjin
Alvadas to Black Rock.

Now, we don’t care about Alvadas to say Avanthal because what we would care about instead is Alvadas to say Denval, then move to Denval’s distances to find out the distance between Denval and Spires… then Spire’s distance chart to find out Spires to Avantha’s distance.

So… What does a committee member do?

1. Decide what locations are relevant and necessary for inclusion on their city’s travel list.

2. Work on determining all the factors that might impede travel (such as raw wilderness, mountains, snowfall, etc)

3. Work with OTHER committee members of domains your routes touch to agree on the correct distances and times.

All of us are going to start with the base distance of Syliras to Zeltiva taking 15 days riding fast horses and changing mounts quickly. From there we’ll work out all the rest of the distances.

So... would you like to help? If so sign up here with your name and what city/area you want to work in.

Volunteer LIst

Rhuryc - Sylira
Ulric - Ekytol
Phoenix - WR
Jilset - Sahova
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6356204
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Rhuryc on November 19th, 2011, 8:20 am

I'm good at math. Count me in.
Rhuryc
Honorific

Words: 466305
Joined roleplay: July 21st, 2010, 7:22 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Gossamer on November 19th, 2011, 8:23 am

What area?
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Ulric on November 19th, 2011, 1:29 pm

Count me in for Eyktol.
Ulric
The Warrior-Poet

Words: 629666
Joined roleplay: May 20th, 2010, 5:51 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 3
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Donor (1)

Postby Rhuryc on November 19th, 2011, 5:02 pm

Hur hur, I'm smart. Sylira.
Rhuryc
Honorific

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Gossamer on November 19th, 2011, 5:21 pm

Okay.. you guys that have already volunteered. I'll need for you to start first and foremost with one city in your region... and pick all the cities that folks can directly travel to from your city of choice... make a list! Post it here!
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Phoenix on November 19th, 2011, 9:21 pm

Even though next week is probably going to be a bust, and I'm sure you've already got ideas for Wind Reach, I can help.
Phoenix
The Capacity for Inspiration

Words: 782528
Joined roleplay: November 22nd, 2010, 3:54 am
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 5
Featured Contributor (1) Artist (1)
Advocate (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Trash Medal (1)

Postby Rhuryc on November 21st, 2011, 6:27 am

I'm doing some work now and I thought it might be handy to get some universal movement speeds so we can all utilize the same numbers. I also have a few questions we might want to answer.

Are we assuming you travel for eight hours a day or more?

Average 'walk' speed for a human is somewhere about 3.5mph. After some quick research on horses I found that:

Gait: 4mph
Trot: 8mph
Canter: 10-17mph
Gallop: 25-30mph

Goss, please correct me on this if I am outrageously wrong.

Should we calculate the basic time-to-travel based on absolutely no obstructions as if you could fly based on the aforementioned speeds? We can always add detours, obstructions and whatnot in after the basics are calculated.
Rhuryc
Honorific

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Ulric on November 22nd, 2011, 10:21 pm

Yahebah - Land Routes
Ahnatep
Riverfall
Eloab
Hai
Redstone Cliffs
Keerdash Grove

Yahebah - Sea Routes
Ahnatep
Riverfall
Black Rock
Akvatar

Having laid those out, I’d have to say that while some are more likely than others, I want this to be a comprehensive list of places to travel from the city, either as a final destination or as a stop along the way to another city.

Now that I’ve posted my list, here’s my concept for simplifying the effects of terrain on traveling. We determine the percentages of each region that are flat, hilly, and mountainous, then create an equation that melds them together to produce a set miles/day that you can travel. For now, I’m going with 3mph flat, 2.5 mph hilly, 2mph mountainous.

Thus if we assume a region is 40% flat, 40% hilly, and 20% mountainous, we create the subsequent formula if we assume travel time to be 10 hours per day:

((10)((.4 x 3)+(.4 x 2.5)+(.2 x 2)))

That yields a pace of 2.6 miles per hour, or 26 miles per day. Not shabby, if you’ve ever walked that far. From there, we need figures for mounts and carts. They’d have to take into consideration the effects of a sustained pace (if we leave ambiguity, some tard is going to assume that his horse canters for ten hours straight), and in particularly in the case of carts, the absence of roads.

Also, weather. If you’re traveling through snow, that’s another hindrance. If you’re traveling through desert, you’re not going to be as sprightly as you might through undulating plains. I’d introduce region-based, (and possibly seasonal) multipliers. To adjust for the effects of snow or extreme heat we could simply calculate a reduce miles of (26)(.9) = 23 (rounded)

And then, of course, there’s the grasslands of Cyphrus. You can’t really travel by foot, so we’d only have to make a multiplier for that. To deal with travel between regions, we’d probably just have to decide the distance to a border and then calculate the days require separately.

The end result, of course, it to be able to decide on a (non-linear) distance between two points, and divide it by the derived rates of travel.

Sea travel produces another obstacle, since you’ve got winds, and the absence of wind, and currents to deal with. I’d have to say, let’s go with history. I did some research on the caravel, which seems to equate decently with many of the trading ships, and found the average distance traveled hovering around 80 to 90 knots per day.
Ulric
The Warrior-Poet

Words: 629666
Joined roleplay: May 20th, 2010, 5:51 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 3
Donor (1)

Postby Jilitse on November 23rd, 2011, 3:04 am

I'll do it for Sahova. Granted, I have always wondered if the world is round, and can you technically go from Sahova to Taloba by sea. Liminal's Account of Mizahar's circumnavigation went around the islands in a counterclockwise fashion around that map, but no account (that I know of) of going thru a 'straight' line. Anyway, I'll try to help the sea routes as well, I remember a wiki picture about that.

On some of the points above I'm pretty sure we can also add into account the climate of our city (eg. Avanthal is technically closed to travellers during harsh winters) and availability of travel methods (normal horses would die in Eyktol heat).

Maybe we could also chip in ideas later for the travel cost, etc.
I. Vox Populi, Vox Dei
II. The Night the Watchtowers Cried

I am nothing special, of this I am sure. I am a common woman with common thoughts and I've led a common life. There are no monuments dedicated to me and my name will soon be forgotten, but I've loved another with all my heart and soul, and to me, this has always been enough.
Jilitse
I just arrived (again). Please be kind.

Words: 520837
Joined roleplay: March 5th, 2010, 8:22 am
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Artist (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
GP's Angels (1)

Next