[FB] Beginnings: Birdbrain Learns To Fly

A continuation to Midnight's story. The first part can be found here: http://www.mizahar.com/forums/topic15451.html

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

While Sylira is by far the most civilized region of Mizahar, countless surprises and encounters await the traveler in its rural wilderness. Called the Wildlands, Syliran's wilderness is comprised of gradual rolling hills in the south that become deep wilderness in the north. Ruins abound throughout the wildlands, and only the well-marked roads are safe.

Postby Midnight on November 27th, 2011, 5:24 am

Spring 14 AV 505

Midnight’s mission had begun abruptly, but he took it in strides as the author known as destiny threw a large curve ball into his life. Midnight began to walk away from the shack and remembered what had happened during winter. He had awoken curled next to another boy for warmth. He couldn’t remember how he got to their but he did remember a dream of being desperately cold as a bird. Midnight was greeted by Hannah, the quite stuck up girl of the orphan group.

“Ewe, look we got a new orphan. He has feathers in his ears, he probably has lice!” Midnight didn’t respond, he could understand what they were saying but couldn’t formulate words in reply.

He attempted to answer back, but only released a screech similar to a bird. He had been alive with the birds for so long that he did not know how to speak human, or at least forgot how.

Midnight only stared at Hannah as her faced turned into one of disgust, “Hes broken in the head as well. How is he going to help the group?”

The other kids murmured as Midnight’s orange eyes darted from face to face, each with an eye that judged hm. He felt uncomfortable and was about to run away before another boy came up behind him and placed a hand on his shoulder. Midnight jumped while his head shot around to look over his shoulder. He was met with Charlie’s face as it smiled wide.

Charlie giggled, “Scared you didn’t I?” Midnight remained silent and stared at Charlie confused. “Its okay, don’t listen to them,”Charlie raised his voice to address the entire group of six, “This boy has come to us for shelter and we will take him in as part of our family. Welcome your new brother.”

There was a bit of hesitation before some of the kids warmed up to the idea quickly. Some where very young, probably not even four, Charlie seemed the oldest at ten or eleven. Midnight was next in age at eight years old and the younger ones didn’t seem to mind it. They pulled on Midnight’s arm in excitement to show them what little they had to care for.
Midnight stood outside of the abandoned shack he had called home for only a season. But during the cold winter many memories were made, which only fueled the kelvic’s sense of urgency to withhold Charlie’s final wishes. He looked back at the shack before he moved back to it. He entered the shack and could almost here his family still there.

“Hey big brother look at these.” He heard Tina’s voice as he brushed a hand over a bit of rotted parchment.

The ghosts of the past haunt him as he looked and remembered the poorly drawn scribbles on the paper. Faded, Midnight could still see them as if they were still freshly drawn from soot.

“I’m going to be a great drawer when I get older,” Tina said before she excitedly moved to the small pouch of ash she used as ink, “I’m going to draw you.”

A tear crept across Midnight’s cheek before he folded up the picture Tina drew of him. He continued to walk to all the areas the kids claimed as their own. His feet danced around invisible children out of impulse. Avery and Julie always were always ones to watch for. They were full of energy and always could be found in the middle of a game of tag. Not much was left in the shack, they didn’t have much of anything. But as Midnight reached the center of the dry rotted shack he felt it was necessary to reflect on his friends past. He never wanted to forget them and only wished he could pick up the entire shack and bring it with him.

But he knew that would not be feasible. But in that moment of thought, a flash leapt across his mind’s eye. He remembered the blade, the scene associated with the glint of Richard’s blade in the front of his memory. Midnight looked solomn for a moment before his eyes lit up. Quickly he moved to the firepit...
Midnight
Player

Words: 25147
Joined roleplay: December 3rd, 2009, 3:16 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Remus Clawing on December 20th, 2011, 10:06 am

Remus swooped down and caught the mouse in his cage-like talons, the spring was the best time of the year to catch prey, snowy owls like him worked better in winter, but in spring food was plentiful.
He reached his beak down to enjoy his catch, and stopped half-way at the sound of voices. He lifted his head back up and listened to the voices, they sound like children. Children were probably the best of human species; they were kinder, and less boring to watch then adult Humans.
Remus looked at the mouse, before freeing it from his claws, "Maybe another time little mouse." He said quietly before opening his wings and taking flight towards the young voices. He was too interested in the new voices to worry about food, besides it was spring, and food wasn't hard to find. His wings softly cut through the air as he reached the voices of the Children. He landed on a nearby tree and watched the young Humans; there were quite a few of them. He chuckled as he realised that one of them couldn't talk, but screeched like a bird instead.
Remus knew the bird-boy was obviously a Kelvic like himself, but a young one. Remus watched as the other children seemed to accept the bird-boy into their group, this warmed Remus, as he didn't like to see sadness in children. Once the children went inside to their shack, Remus quickly became bored of just hearing them. He flew over to the shacks small window and looked inside. It felt warm inside, warmer than the night outside. Remus rested his legs down as he continued to watch the children activities...
Remus Clawing
Player

Words: 4133
Joined roleplay: December 16th, 2011, 9:36 pm

Postby Midnight on December 20th, 2011, 8:18 pm

OOC :
Hello Remus. I want to play a game. No no I joke I joke. I’m open to other posting in here but just want you to know that this is a flashback thread. I am six years old, and you are fourteen. The rest will be addressed in my reply. Welcome to Mizahar.

The day was uneventful as Midnight collected several items he had around the old, abandoned shack, that reminded him of the long gone orphans. In order to engrain their memories into his head for as long as he lived and possibly longer, he lit a fire and burned the items. He watched as the flames danced and caused them to glow inflamed. The images and memories were stored away into the back of his mind.

Midnight didn’t venture far from the shack during the day. He collected some nuts and ate the bit of dried fruits he still had stored from fall. The night crawled over the forest and with it seeped the need to sleep. Midnight curled up in a corner, it was still cold, from the remnants of winter. He slept close to soundly, his dreams were filled with the sounds of the orphans past as they played within the forest eaten shack.

The warmth of the shack was merely a hallucination, shared between those who might happen upon the hidden shack. Midnight didn’t seem to notice the unusual cool air that soon surrounded him. The owl that peered through the window would soon be confused as the children seemed to vanish. They seemed to be playing with the young, boyish, kelvic a game of hide and seek as Midnight awoken and looked around.

Midnight appeared to be only a boy, no real signs could be seen to suggest he was actually an animal. Midnight’s head looked around the room as if he felt a presence that was there, but no longer present.

“Kiu estas?” The language of song, harsh as he lacked the syrinx to make the complex whistles that birds could make.

To birds it sounded broken, “Who here? Derek, you back?”

Midnight questioned apparently no one and waited for a reply.
Midnight
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Remus Clawing on December 21st, 2011, 11:07 am

Remus was taken back at the young Kelvic's ability to speak well in song.
"No, I'm not, umm, Derek. I'm a Kelvic owl; I don't mean harm to you or your friends." He sung down to the boy, he squeezed through the small window and glided down to the boy's feet. "Hello." He chirped.
The heat from the fire pit warmed Remus's feathers. He twisted his head and looked around the shack; it felt emptier now he was inside it. He quietly hummed a random tune while waddling around the shack, it certainly was smaller in the inside then it was on the outside. Remus gently tapped the wooden wall of the shack and placed the side of his head against the wall as he knocked on the wall. It sounded hollow, and felt damp; the shack had obviously been in the forest for more years than the children living in it.
He turned round after his little investigation, "I'm Remus" He sung to the boy, "You look like a young Kelvic, on what animal do you form into?"
Remus Clawing
Player

Postby Midnight on December 22nd, 2011, 8:32 pm

Midnight jumped in bed, he had not expected a reply, none the less a chirp of a predator. He looked through the darkness as he heard a creature begin to approach him. He could loosely translate what was being said, but he still didn't quite understand. The fire had long died out, all that was left within the pit of memories were coals and embers that slowly smoldered and smoked.

Midnight twitched at the sound of Remus, peck the wall. "I am not well," he begins to speak, " I'm ill...yes! I'm poisonous to eat!"

Midnight could barely make out the figure of the owl as he approached in front of him. He didn't understand what was being said as he just stared at the shadowed figure. The light from the moon, only half filled, filtered through the holy roof and only lit the interior with blotches of cool white light.

You look young, animal form? Was all Midnight was able to translate from the bird's song. His ears as a human not as sensitive to the complex song that birds used to communicate.

"Kiel vi povasn, err, how do you know I'm a kelvic?"
Midnight
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Remus Clawing on December 23rd, 2011, 9:37 am

Remus could see that the Kelvic was struggling to keep up with Remus's speech, so he decided to slow down. The boy asked how he knew he was Kelvic, "You're..... Different," Remus answered slowly in song, "Not like others, and you have an unusual coloured hair."
He noticed that the boy seemed nervous or fearful of him, "Eat?" He sung. Did this boy really think Remus would eat him? "I'm not going to eat you, why would you think so?" Remus chuckled in bird song.
He did suppose, whatever creature this boy turned into was probably smaller than Remus, maybe that's were his fear was coming from. If the Kelvic continued to be scared, Remus would leave him be and return to his hunt, but he hoped that wouldn't be the case, as much fun as hunting was, it wasn't as fun as communication to others.
Remus flew over to the fire pit and stood on some of the burnt out wood pieces, his metal armoured talons protecting him from burns. He stood on the ashes waiting for the Kelvic to give an answer.
Remus Clawing
Player

Postby Midnight on December 26th, 2011, 6:32 pm

The young man, boyish in looks, relaxed as he remembered he was in the form of a human. Even though a larger bird and not the usual prey of predator birds, the instinct of flight was greater within Midnight. His orange eyes focused in on the owl as he stood on the hot coals. He studied the owl as it sang and danced in the unusual, complex communication between birds.

Finally, Midnight spoke out, "You wouldn't understand why."

Midnight answered rather curt and sharp, something had obviously bothered him, but Remus probably could tell it wasn't toward him.
Midnight
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook