A Mother's Day Out (Shai)

When blood blossoms flower on the horizon and the sun sheds its golden tears, only two are left to destroy the seeds of what once was.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A lawless town of anarchists, built on the ruins of an ancient mining city. [Lore]

Moderator: Morose

Postby Darian on November 29th, 2011, 1:05 am

His precision had to be absolute, his patience vast to reach his goals, but for all that he held himself above the groveling masses, he couldn't push past the bleak obscurity that so covered the majority of those that resided in Sunberth. He desired his blade to be known, his reputation to be a living thing of itself, and a weapon to be put to good use. Yet such renown had so far escaped him and would continue to he suspected for in retrospect what had he done more than kill a few inconsequential people who got in the way of things. His work for Callik was quickly turning dull after the first couple of flashy displays by himself, and more likely growing quieter still because of Calliks own growing sinister reputation on the streets instead of Darian's own stalwart defense of the man's wares. It irked him that such a man inspired such fear in the masses when he himself could only inspire revulsion or wary caution at best. Perhaps that was just his own take on it, but his own proffered certainty coupled with the aged torments of his youth worked well to assure him of this.

It was a double edge sword he knew to be known, but it was only recently that he found the desire to be so known, and well feared, though by his alias of course and not his birth name. That he wanted with every fiber of his being to just whither away in the shadows of his alias, never to be known on any tongue but his own. After all, that part of him had died long ago, leaving the empty coil he found himself now. Passion still fueled his sword, but so too had a sort of callousness came to his mind, allowing for quicker thinking, and uncompromising calculation. It lent him the strength he needed, the power that would be required to bring every one of his desires to the light, but all in their due time.

For now he was playing the role of errand boy, searching the streets and alleys for any sign of a deadbeat in the employ of Callik, one of the catchers as his employer referred to the man as. For Darian, he only cared about wrapping this business up so he could get back to his own mechanizations, the latter involving a little meeting between himself and a certain thug he owed a dagger in the stomach though such things had to wait when Callik came a calling. Turning down another alley way, Darian sighed.

Last edited by Darian on December 31st, 2011, 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have retired Darian, and I apologize for any inconveniences this has caused with anyone threading with this character. Feel free to NPC him in any threads that he is involved in if that is of course ok with the moderator. Again, I am sorry for any inconveniences.
Darian
Player

Words: 270515
Joined roleplay: April 25th, 2011, 2:12 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Shai on November 29th, 2011, 4:44 pm

Timestamp: 75th of Fall, 511 AV

Shai eyed the dead sanguineous liquor as it dripped lazily from her right index nail. Amethyst gaze trailing over the drop as it plummeted through open air and into the vast crimson puddle beneath the Symenestra. She had spent a great many chimes setting up this scene for whichever human might stumble upon it. It had become a ritual for the spider, creating gruesome backdrops out of the slavers who went after her and invariably failed. She whispered a contradiction to herself in the eerie language of people, “Well, that’s not entirely true. That Zith actually managed a collar.” Too bad now humans seem like hardly a challenge. How long until I am unable to call this self defense? Then what do I do with them when doctrine dictates I cannot spill their blood? She had to be careful with each and every one of these kills, they absolutely had to be in self defense. The spider was a stalwart believer and follower of Viratas, blood was sacred and should only be spilled for sustenance or defense.

Shai returned her to organizing while her musings ran wild through her mind. The Symenestra had selected this alley intentionally when the brute had been chasing her. The area was well known to her and this dead end was precisely what she needed. It was onerous to make up such a set for multiple directions, but from one entrance the witnesses could receive the full effect. In truth she was tired of slavers and their incessant desires to capture a spider. Sure, her venom was worth a considerable amount but did that really excuse their grievous disregard for their own lives? “Not really.” She muttered.

Setting the man’s head at the apex of a heap of identifiable rubbish and adjusting it to his lifeless eyes stared boldly towards the only outlet that normal human’s could enter the alleyway by. Reaching down Shai drenched her hand in the blood puddle at her feet. Retreating to the back wall Shai crawled up the sheer brick surface. Once she was roughly ten feet up the building she went about writing in wide strokes the Common warning she left behind at every such macabre conclusion, ‘SPIDERS BITE’. Perhaps the extreme emphasis of all capitals would convince the slavers this time, probably not but a lady could dream couldn’t she?

Dropping down from the wall Shai retrieved her ebony cloak from one of the few bloodless patches on the street. She knew there wasn’t much time before some human found her, even this late, or early depending on your perspective, in the night. Her boots could be salvaged, they were well worn old leather and the blood stains would only darken them for a time, actually it might make them look newer. Besides she had carried the old shoes most of the time anyways, it was necessary to make her wall climbing work easily; the more skin that had contact with the wall the better her grip. The pants would certainly need to be replaced and there were several splotches stippled across the front of her shirt. Most annoyingly though, her long braid was completely matted in the scared substance, she would need to visit the hot springs again to fully cleanse the hair. It’ll flake for weeks otherwise and there was no way she was using that disgusting excuse for a river than ran through the middle of Sunberth. Flinching instinctively as she heard a sound near the mouth of the alley, it was quite probably a cat but the thief would take no chances. She immediately skittered up a wall and deep into a shadow provided by an eave and the moon’s placement. There she hunkered down, silently watching the entrance. With her black cloak and the drying blood coating her body, she was practically camouflaged in the shadows.

. . . except for the four bloody foot and hand prints leading up the wall. They stopped before they got to her location and there were similar prints on the back wall by her message, but a savvy observer might still catch on. Oh shyke. . .
Last edited by Shai on March 6th, 2012, 4:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ImageImage
Shai
Alone in the dark.

Words: 424135
Joined roleplay: October 9th, 2011, 5:43 pm
Race: Symenestra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Character (1) 2011 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Darian on December 31st, 2011, 7:31 pm

Big surprise the small alley's ground was covered in garbage and not for the first, and certainly not the last, Darian found himself pulling the cloth mask tighter around his face, and pinching his nose in disgust at the conditions the filthy alleys flanking Sunberth's streets tended to lean towards. It been in one such passage he'd nearly caught his death, but that was a time a season a way, and such a thing held no bearing on him save it left him looking for his savior, and conversely his would be murderer, though the latter was looked for less earnestly for the man truly didn't warrant so much attention from Darian. People tried to kill him all the time but saving was a wholly different experience entirely and something inside of him demanded he find the konti and find out why she healed him. He wasn't so foolish as to believe the gods had sent the healer to him after all.

Turning the last corner the air took on a coppery taste and releasing his pinched nose he could smell to early decay already suffusing into the chilly night air. The obviously dead man resting on the pile of rubbish was the likely cause of it, and Darian cursed as he realized that was the man he had been sent for, Callik's marking plain to see on the breast of the headless man's jerkin. A growl rumbled from inside of his breast and his sword leapt to his hand as he yanked it from it's sheath and took a cautious step forward. It was obvious by the macabre display and the writing he now recognized to be on the wall, that this was a purposeful killing and not merely an act of defending oneself. More so ever it represented everything Darian disliked about certain fellow residents in Sunberth, for such flowery killings seemed a gross waste of time. If it was to send a message of fear, it had failed for within him he only felt anger, and puzzlement of the prints leading up to the high portion of the wall with bloody writing on it.

Few could climb that well, even with the ridged stones on the buildings surface, and silently he wondered if this was one of the syndicates doing. The audacious display and feat of skill surely explained that but it left a hollow curiosity within him none the less. Lowering his sword a fraction, he looked around carefully, slowly noting everything he could from the subtle positioning of the bodiless head, to the disturbances that shifted the rubble, and easing into a crouch he noticed the latter was hardly anything meaning perhaps a nimble one with a small frame or likewise an opponent large and quick on their feet. It would explain the climbing feat if it was indeed if it was the former. His breath hissed in the cold, quiet air, and still as a statue, he pondered.

I have retired Darian, and I apologize for any inconveniences this has caused with anyone threading with this character. Feel free to NPC him in any threads that he is involved in if that is of course ok with the moderator. Again, I am sorry for any inconveniences.
Darian
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Shai on January 5th, 2012, 4:52 am

Shai eyed the man speculatively for a moment before she began to slowly back further up the wall and onto the roof. Carefully she lay her body down upon the roof. The human was clearly armed but she saw no bow or crossbow. Ever paranoid the fragile little thief only allowed her eyes to edge beyond the roof’s ledge to watch, she was certain her reactions were fast enough to pull back if he drew a projectile weapon.

The amethyst of her eyes was nearly blotted out by the dilation of black pupils, seeking the secrets held in the alley’s shadows. For now, she saw none but the swordsman and much to the spider’s disappointment he failed to react appropriately. He seemed irritated, at least that was the only reason Shai could fathom for the drawn sword. Unfortunately irritation would lead to aggression not caution; she couldn’t allow him to sway the emotions of whatever human stumbled up the mess next. Projecting her voice down into the alley Shai addressed the stationary figure. “If you do not intend to react as intended could you do me a favor and leave? I would not want you to influence the next audience adversely. It will be a waste of my time completely if you manage to calm them.” Or worse, incite them .

Perhaps the man might require further incentive to leave the spider mused. Reaching into the pockets of her cloak she withdrew the layered struts of metal. Flicking the cold iron struts home, causing the fan to bloom blue and silver in the night, Shai let the loud clanking to echo into the alley below though she kept the fan well out of sight beyond the building’s edge. Allow his imagination to work at what my weapon might be . Parting her lips to offer a threat to compliment her weaponry the thief silenced herself abruptly.

Scanning once more than alley way, certainly it was empty beyond the corpse and the stranger. Why were the hairs on the back of her neck standing on end? Was it the way he held his sword? It was reminiscent . . . of Antar? Not good. If that was really why she was nervous a threat would only hinder the situation further. Still she didn’t pocket her weapon; it was only fair that she be armed as he himself was. “Have you business with him?” Shai glanced briefly at the positioned head, “if so you are a bit late.”

With a deep breath Shai set aside her unfounded fears of this man. It was probably her own imagination and even if it wasn’t he was on the ground with a sword and she was on the roof, escape was only a few bounds away. And if the man should climb to the rooftops he would be at an extreme disadvantage anyways. No, for now there was nothing to be nervous about and instead the spider found herself curious. Perhaps she ought to snatch up this human in her web and see what secrets he might reveal. Any man that brought the rogue to mind must have something interesting to spill.

ImageImage
Shai
Alone in the dark.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Darian on January 13th, 2012, 12:06 am

Abruptly he found his thoughts interrupted, a distinctively feminine voice interrupting the quiet stillness of the night's air. His hazel eyes flashed to the edge of a roof towering above him, and instantly his longsword rose into guard position, even though it was absolutely useless at this range, but he readied himself all the same for the foes that had yet to show themselves. If they did they'd find themselves in a worse situation than death, as this woman if she came down to cause him trouble.

"Your worse off than I expected, keeping to your little perch, watching your inconsequential kill as if begging for attention. Pathetic." He spat out in disgust before taking a stride closer towards the pile of refuse on which the body rested. His head cocked to the side at the strange noise, and his glare smoldered on her, at her audacity to procure a ranged weeping to try and kill him. Lip curling up into a snarl, he buried the tip of his longsword in the rubble in front of him before spreading his arms wide, his gaze never leaving the woman though his ears where focused on the mouth of the alley, looking to hear the slightest hint of noise that might betray his would be ambushers.

"I've survived far worse than you strange eyes, take your shot with whatever pitiful weapon you call your own if you would, I fear you not, but you should tread carefully around me. I know this city quite well, better than you I suspect, and finding you asleep would hardly trouble me."

After a few moments standing so openly in defiance should she try nothing, he'd kneel on the ground and snatch up a thing of flint and steel from his pack, and soon loud cracking noises would fill the alley as he repeatedly struck the two metals together in hopes of catching the pile of garbage on fire. Destroying her precious 'work of art' should be sufficient from bringing the creature down, or so he suspected. In any case it would please him to see the look on her face at such an action in any case. From the way he turned his back to her, it was clear he hardly considered her a threat, though he listened carefully all the same, ever wary for anything that might be up the woman's sleeve. Confidence only served for the best when it was tempered with wariness after all. All of a sudden, a broken basket caught on fire, and moving it to a better position to spread the fire, he took a step back, and drew his sword into his hand while he watched the glorious purge of her creation from the back of the alley.

"Suppose no one will be able to enjoy it now"

Darian
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Shai on January 13th, 2012, 7:54 am

Shai rolled onto her back and looked down into the alley again, this time from an upside down vantage. The posture was a mockery she knew as well as he did he couldn’t touch her. “Incorrect Azo” She slid in the Symenestra insult for lesser beings without so much as a beat lost, “I am begging for inattention. Eventually your insipid kinsmen will get the message and leave the spider be.” The thief littered her words with scorn, as though the human had already disappointed her estimation of him. Keeping her gaze locked on him she watched his every move, seeking even a hint that he might draw a projectile.

Letting a cynical laugh part her lips at his next statement the spider saw the clear bait and danced around it to return an insult instead of take offense. If the man wanted to hurt her pride he’d have to try a lot harder than that. “Anyone who has to make up their own disclaimers cannot be so dangerous. Warnings are for people with reputations and I cannot say I recognize you. So, I think I shall thread however I please, which conveniently for you, is lightly.” Shai’s chuckle sprouted again in this instance transforming into a purr that preceded a warning and a challenge. “I doubt you could follow me human, but if you could that would make you quite interesting. And since you generously offered me a warning I think I shall return the kindness. If you do seek my sleeping location; watch out for Anthony’s first kukri it tends to cut down most of our tent’s intruders.”

Shai had no ranged weapon readily available, maybe a stone pried from the building if she was desperate, but she had no desire to strike this man. He was drawing her interest, nearly as much as Antar had the first time they had met. Perhaps her curiosity would fade when she discerned why the man so reminded her of the assassin. Until then she watched flicking the fan open and closed a few times while she considered the next moves she might make. The thief let out a heavy sigh as the fire started, of course it was fire; it was always fire! Scowling the Symenestra flipped herself up from her back onto her feet on the roof top. “Now, human, you have wasted my time. Time is money and so it looks like you owe me.” More annoyingly he had wasted blood; even spilled it was still sacred. Taking a few light steps back farther onto the roof Shai gained a short distance from the edge. Shifting into a quick sprint the spider cleared the alleyway and landed on the opposite rooftop with an audible thump. As she jumped the metal struts in the fan would reflect the moonlight drawing brief attention to it.

Surveying the alleyway Shai noted that her intruder would have only one exit unless he could climb the walls which she doubted. He would be easy to follow especially with nocturnal eyes to penetrate any shadows he might hide in. Stalking along the very precipice of the rooftop, distinctly resembling a cat sauntering along a fence, the spider removed herself from the flame’s immediate vicinity and positioned herself much nearer his only escape route. “Now how shall I make you repay me? You might make for an interesting diversion.” She mused allowed clearly intending to be heard. “But, I would need to devise a new tactic for you, I would not want to be called a one trick pony.” The Symenestra snickered to herself at the pun. She really did want to be a one ‘trick’ pony; one man to warm her bedroll was more than enough. Of course, that didn’t mean she couldn’t find a use for this … gentleman, after she was suitably compensated for her wasted effort.

She’d met many valuable associates this season, the Crimson Edge being the culmination of these new acquaintances. Now, she no longer had to scrounge the bottom of the barrel for useful individuals she could be finicky if she so chose. But, baring her earlier derision about having to make up his own reputation, the spider believed he was truly dangerous. Dangerous in Sunberth was just another word for valuable.

ImageImage
Shai
Alone in the dark.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Darian on January 22nd, 2012, 2:37 am

"Kotakbil! Careful whose name you throw around so casually woman, Antar wouldn't be so kind to such a theft of his identity" Darian growled, his face scrunched up in a dark scowl. The woman had a tongue on her that was certain, but the insults slipped off of him never the less. You didn't survive long in Sunberth if you weren't thick skinned after all. Still though his initial flash of anger still burned through his blood, he found himself well in control of it, but pretended to be out of control all the same, he'd have her off balance however he could. Behind him the flames roared further to life, the amber glow slowly filling up the entirety of the alley, and playing dark shadows across the walls to twist misshapen.

His eyes followed her jump across the roof before she disappeared out of sight, and not wanting to waste anymore time there he started for the exit out of the alleyway when her honeyed voice echoed somewhere before him, the sound of it echoing off the walls. "I owe you nothing, and wouldn't give it to such a frail thing even if I did" He bellowed, his knuckles growing white with rage, though it all served just to hide the amused smile that sought to find its way onto his features. Quite the fiery one this girl was, and though she held the advantage of height he had seen her weapon, that fan like thing, and felt confident in his own skill should she come at him. His breathing was much slower now, his body readying should she try to jump down on him, though he figured that would not be the case. This one seemed to be like the type to keep to the distance with petty taunts and the like. Even so, she stood over the exit, and the alley behind him was quickly filling up with black billowing smoke, attracting the attention of any nearby. They'd not be alone soon enough, and he really didn't want to be around when whoever came a calling.

Cautiously he started to pace down the alley, his eyes keeping to the edge of the roof.

Darian
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Shai on January 22nd, 2012, 10:37 pm

Shai’s amusement chilled as the man spoke. It was true he reminded her of Antar but she had never expected the man to actually know his name, let alone the true name behind the alias. She’d given him more information that was intended, she would need to exercise caution now; reveal as little as possible. In a tone reflecting her new lack of levity she addressed his redresses. “I do not steal from him, it would be needlessly antagonist. More importantly, who are you to rebuke me regarding that particular rogue?” She could only hope that he would rise to the taunt, although it was mellow compared to her prior banter.

Shai kept herself ahead of him and finally purposely kicked off a loose shingle to fall in front of him in the alley way. She had him trapped for now, he had created the circumstance himself with the fire it was only fitting she use such a timely gift. “I will accept knowledge of your identity as repayment. If you chose not to tell me do not be concerned; I will find out regardless.” If this man knew Antar as well as it sounded, the assassin certainly knew him in return. This stranger may not be amenable but from the rogue she could pry answers. “But, why waste this chance? Civility is not yet out of the question—though the window is quickly diminishing I would wager.” In the brief silence that followed her statement, just beneath the crackle of flames the spider caught a noise. “I would make that choice rapidly…”

She sank down to the roof, as much as she wished to keep the insect in her trap, outside interference would be disadvantageous at this stage. Creeping along the roof she peeked over the ridge to catch a glimpse of the intruders. These seemed average thugs and Shai would have dismissed them for a normal group of rabble rousers, but as she turned back a twinkle in the night caught her eye. The thief immediately readjusted to regard the… four, there were only four of them, once more. They each seemed to have some small earring on, one each. From this distance she could discern no more, but the fact that the shimmering originated from ears was what Shai based her hypothesis on. Quickly turned back down she went to find the stranger.

It was quick decision time and the intruders changed the rules of the game significantly. Did she help him? He might make it out of the alley if he was exceptionally stealthy, but if he knows Antar…. She considered he might be able to handle himself. On the other hand, he hadn’t phrased his remark about Antar in terms that implied hostilities towards him. Perhaps, he was an associate she was as of yet unaware of. That would make this entire situation extremely awkward. The spider needed to cover her ass just in case.

She slipped another shingle from the roof to gain the man’s attention; she gave him a meaningful look and displayed her luminously pale hand; four fingers clear spread. He could take her warning however he pleased. Shai might just be willing to start their encounter over again, after those shiny pieces of jewelry were in her pocket of course.

ImageImage
Shai
Alone in the dark.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Darian on February 13th, 2012, 1:07 am

Darian couldn't decided whether to laugh or lash out as the woman persisted to make vague threats from her lofty position. He'd long intuited that she had no such range weapon in which to menace him which meant he had little to fear from the spider besides a scrape from the dagger she likely carried. The crash of the shingle stopped him none the less however, and turning up a cold gaze up at the woman on her perch.

Very insistent this one was.

He remained silent to her continued badgering though as he listened beyond the crackle of flames. The street had gone quiet with not even a noisy drunk to be heard shuffling down the streets, and the eerie stillness sent his form tensing up and his hand to his longsword. Their little confrontation had drawn eyes, and the observation unsettled him. With a momentary thought he quashed the emotion and started thinking critically of his situation, only sparing a glance up at the woman when yet another shingle came crashing down from it's lofty height.

Four, there where four of them, at least according towards the pale girl. His eyes matching hers for intensity, he offered the first sign of cordiality he had all night by tipping his head. "I'll deal with the men presently, go and I'll meet you by Antar's camp where perhaps we can finish this meeting in a more professional manner" He spoke without blinking before turning away and stalking over to the edge of the alley and crouching down into the enfolding grace of the shadows.

His heart hammered in his chest, and above it's continual pounding he could hear the sounds of their pursuers, their heavy footsteps echoing in the night. Slowly his cold iron longsword slid from it's sheath, and hovered guardedly in front of him, his hand steady. He had to be ultimately precise in his movement, and absolutely quiet to take down these men. With his life depending on the strength of his sword arm like so many times before, there was little room for error.

1.. 2.. 3.. 4.. 5..

In a burst of movement he emerged from the alleyway, his sword slashing viciously across at waist level to split the first thugs belly wide open. Even as the man curled, and reached down to stop his guts from spilling from the wound Darian's foot came up and kicked the man in his knee, snapping the limb to the side and sending the man falling backward into his companions and plunging the group into chaos. Much quicker in recovering than the thugs, Darian came on hard, slamming the hilt of his longsword into the temple of one man trying to hold up his quickly dying friend, but was stopped short of finishing the kill when the other two thugs came at him, their shock worn off.

Twisting out of the way of the lead ones' saber, he brought his sword whipping across the parry the strike of the other's mace sending the fool sprawling into the muck on the street as the man overbalanced with his swing. The bandit with the saber gave him more than enough to keep busy with though as he chased after him with strike after strike, the razor edge of the saber clanging loudly against the cold iron of his longsword. Sharp ringing quickly filled the quiet streets, and his skin crawled as he felt more than one curious eye upon them. This was going to get quickly ugly if he didn't kill these men quickly he knew. Soon an eye of importance would turn his way, and then it wouldn't be simply fighting some two bit thugs. They'd be experienced, well armed, and he would certainly find himself outmatched. He'd seen a portion of the night eyes strength, and he could guess what the other groups might possess.

Growling through a parry he pushed the man back into his rushing companion, the both of of them tumbling down the street a short way before tumbling into a heap. He ran after them in the wake of their tumble, sword raised high for the stars light to glint against it's blade, and slashing down he split a thugs chest open wide and sent crimson spray gushing forth. The force of the strike managed to roll the man off of the other, and thrusting the blade forward, he quickly silenced that man's struggling as well, taking a moment to breath as the man gasped his final breathes. He had to keep moving though, had to get to Antar's camp and wrap up this business with the pale woman. Some might not like it too nicely that he'd killed these men, and besides, he had questions about just how deep the woman and Antar's relationship might run. Could help him in the future should things go sour between the pair of them. But first.

Stooping down he cut the ears off the dead at his feet, sparing a passing glade at the jewelry that adorned the flesh there before collecting their weapons and moving to the other two resting on the side of the wall. Tearing off the ear of his first kill he heard a muffled groan from the man laid out on the cobble stones just behind the dead thug and remembered he hadn't finished that one off. Brandishing his dagger, he stabbed the man in the stomach repeatedly before ripping off his ear as well and gathering the pairs weapons and heading off down the street. He noted sound had returned once more on the street, though the eyes remained burning on his back, something soon solved as he passed in and out several alley's eventually ending up on the edge of the city and then the perimeter of his newest associates camp. It seemed quiet for now, but looking around he remained cautious as he stepped forward.

Darian
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Shai on March 8th, 2012, 2:54 am

Hesitating, Shai considered his ‘command’. If she stayed it would seem obstinate and petty, but leaving meant she’d lose out on the little earrings. It was curious that he knew where the camp was. With every passing exchange the spider felt more sure that her decision to stay out of reach had been wise and that mentioning Antar had been the opposite. Shrugging, she came to a quick conclusion; she would go ahead to the camp and prepare. Such an unprofitable night she thought as she leapt off across the rooftops. Her destination was the very place she began from and where she would have returned to as the night aged; the camp of the Crimson Edge.

As she neared the camp the final pieces of her plan full into place. She would take back the upper hand here as she had only days before with a different shady man. The insipid humans who believed force of arms was the only way to win a fight were getting on her nerves. Shai had no cause to believe any differently about this man.

Nearing the familiar tent the thief slowed and carefully approached from an angle to he fire wouldn’t cast her shadow. Slipping through the opening with held breath, Shai made every possible effort not to make a sound. The rogue was paranoid beyond anything she had ever seen but he wasn’t her goal tonight; his kukri was. Gently tugging at her cloak’s she eased it down into the corner of the tent. She withdrew his blade and replaced it her fan. Backing out of the tent Shai suspected she awoken Antar but he’d apparently recognized her because she was still alive.

Slinking from the tent she sought out one of the few copses of trees surrounding the camp. They were ideal if she screamed the gang members would still her it. Though such a tactic was a last resort, only if the swordsman attempted to strike her. It wouldn’t be the first time she counted on the barbarians’ sword arms and it was unlikely to be the last.

Shai skittered up the tree and draped herself across a sturdy low-hanging limb. She was only perhaps eight feet above the ground. Waiting quietly until she saw a shadow approach camp, then she tilted Antar’s blade to reflect the camp’s fire light and make a signal. If it was a gang member she would send them away and wait again, if not she would deal with it.

ImageImage
Shai
Alone in the dark.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Next