Beloved Companions have Intrinsic Sacrificial Value (Bob)

Bob works and Shai shops, what could go wrong?

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A lawless town of anarchists, built on the ruins of an ancient mining city. [Lore]

Moderator: Morose

Postby Shai on November 22nd, 2011, 2:56 am

Timestamp: 72nd day of Fall, 511 AV

Shai waited until the sun was setting to head off across the rooftops. All of the activity of the city had finally seemed to die down and she had some much needed shopping to do. She had gone nearly an entire season without a creature companion and she couldn’t risk prolonging the purchase of another.

She hadn’t tried to explain her pets to her human acquaintances. She suspected they’d find her habits odd. Shai valued her pets highly, she loved them like family really, but that made them the best sacrifices she could make. Eventually, Shai would make a mistake and need to perform penance for it. Her staunch belief in Viratas meant that his penance required a blood sacrifice, she would lose little from a few drops of her own split blood but the death of a beloved companion would cost her greatly and thus made an excellent sacrifice. Shai would pay for her misdeeds with her accumulated affections in the form of a creature’s life blood. But this meant Shai needed to acquire a new companion to begin bonding with it. The blood of an animal she had no attachment to wouldn’t do, that was how she fed herself every day, so instead she needed to make her purchase before any sin was commited.

It was following this purpose that the little thief slipped into Killroy’s kennels this fine evening. She knew the general layout of the compound from an earlier visit and so she had purposefully avoided the horse stables and instead found herself in the area housing the small creatures. While wondering through the establishment she caught sight a small figure she would know anywhere, Bob. Of course, I must have forgotten he worked here. Perhaps he can help me pick something suitable. Shai slithered up behind the little man, tapping him on the shoulder to announce her presence. “Bob, could you help me for a moment? I am looking for a pet.”

Shai didn’t really have a preference towards the species of the animal, but the more loveable the better. She made sure to impart this on her potential guide. “Something. . .cute? Perhaps a young creature? The fuzzy ones have always been a favorite of mine.”

Last edited by Shai on November 30th, 2011, 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

ImageImage
Shai
Alone in the dark.

Words: 424135
Joined roleplay: October 9th, 2011, 5:43 pm
Race: Symenestra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Character (1) 2011 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Bob Barton on November 23rd, 2011, 2:20 pm

Yes, all the madness seemed to be over. Whether it was from the madness of the mists, caused by desperation from the drought, sparked by the fire in the Sunset Quarter or the ambitions of power of the powers of Sunberth remained to be seen. The only thing to be sure about was that it was business as usual once it was all over and Bob was asked to make the front of the store which has been left unattended for the past few days more presentable now that the customers would deem it safe to return to normal. "Damn it, what do you even do here when there are no customers?" It was a total mess. Dust and fur has been allowed to settle all over the place and even the papers were scattered all over the floor if they were not already messily piled all over the table. "And you Jinsen. Stop adding to the workload!" Bob yelled shouting at his dog he brought with him which was already trying to mark its territory. "If you want a spot then go over there. Now!" he yelled pointing at the corner. At least Bob can wait for that spot until the last moment and clean it up before taking Jinsen with him.

"Jinsen...now!" Bob growled still pointing at the corner as he tapped his foot annoyed but as everyone else, even the dog did not take Bob seriously. He went to the corner and took a seat there holding out his arms and beckoning for "come Jinsen, come on to Bob..." The dog kept sniffing around the place with Bob still patiently holding out his arms until it came and Bob grabbed on to it and pressed it on the ground telling him "good, stay here until I am done alright Jinsen?" Once the dog stopped trying to break free Bob pet it a few and told it what a "good boy" it was being before walking off to continue on to his work which "won't take long" On his way to the desk, Bob turned his head to check on Jinsen a few times and was satisfied that it still remained. "Just keep this up and I might just reward you with something nice later. You like those right?" but it will have to wait until the job was done.

At the desk, Bob gathered up the papers and started to sort them out. It was a good thing that Killroy actually recorded his wares on a specific system. After he had the stack in his hands, Bob searched through the papers and sorted them according to species. The two main animals came first which were the horses and then the dogs followed by everything else which included weasels, monkeys and the like. After that looking through the dates, Bob arranged them based on the time they were acquired from "last Fall? Killroy keeps some real old things..." right until "before the horrible fights" which was the 58th. "Figures that even Killroy would have trouble..." Until today Bob still could not learn much about the inner workings of Killroy's system. Possibly he would sometime in the near future but for now he will contend with knowing how they are priced which is apparently based on breed and rarity first and foremost and then the training.

Shai came right in the middle of Bob cleaning up. The room was less tidy than it should be because Bob had to make more space. Most of the heavier things like the table were moved slightly to the side after lots of pushing which forced Bob to give up on getting them against the walls. At least the others like the chair's Bob could just lift and carry to one corner. Bob had one chair stacked on top of the other to a neat little pile until carrying the chair above him could not even reach the top of the stack anymore. Then Bob lifted a chair and took it to the side again stacking the second pile halfway. Going to take one more chair he was tapped on the shoulder and in surprise dropped the chair to the ground with an "ouch!" when it fell on to his foot. He turned to look at the idiot who interrupted him prepared to do some telling off until he saw her and all he would say was "So Shai, I did not know you would come all this way to meet me. What is it? Lunch?" he asked with a wide smile.

"Oh...a pet..." Bob asked a little bit disappointed but "that works too." What else would Shai come to Killroy's for if not for that? Not Bob obviously even if he is known as cute. "Fuzzy?" he asked rubbing on his chin. "I think you will have to give that a season or two..." Then recalling what she asked for Bob asked if what she meant was "Jinsen?" and waved for the dog to come over. Then he lifted the dog in between them telling Shai that "I am willing to share but you have to...go for dinner with me tonight" with an even wider grin. No? Fine. "We can do it after you find your pet. Is cute and cuddly all you want? Lets go and see what we can find for you. You are lucky it is me you found and not Darik because you are just so special to me. And that calls for a special deal too Shai." leading her into the kennels where the dogs are kept. "Find anything you like? because if not, then it was all up to Bob to save the day. It was lucky he already looked through the stock sheet earlier already.
Bob Barton
Player

Words: 1121818
Joined roleplay: July 2nd, 2011, 12:21 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
2011 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Shai on November 26th, 2011, 8:47 pm

Shai glanced down at Jinsen and gave him a soft pat, “While he fits the bill I could not take your companion Bob. No, instead, I need one of my own.” She followed behind Bob as he led her through the kennels. “While I have no qualms with sharing a meal with you Bob, I have a hard time believing you would not try for more.”

It was a relief, really, that of all of her acquaintances Bob was the one who worked in the kennels. Any of the others would have been immediately suspicious of her desire for a pet, rightfully so. As each of her companion’s reactions played through her mind Shai had trouble keeping the smile from her face. She had met so many people this season, and the man leading her now was one of the first.

Many of the animals seemed to be both appropriately cuddly. Another large portion of the canines seemed rather vicious. But the more she saw of the beasts the more she realized they were entirely impractical for her lifestyle. How would the dog climb the buildings and stay on rooftops with her? Perhaps they were the wrong animal. A bird wouldn’t do either, she hated birds; filthy little creatures. “Bob, maybe I should better define my search? I think, perhaps, I require something that could climb or stay in my pockets? I could not climb carrying such large animals and it would get tedious.” She followed her friend throughout the dog kennels, all the while wondering what kind of deal might be ‘special’. As annoying as his stubbornness was Shai often found the small man’s company highly entertaining and certainly never dull. That didn’t mean she held in trust for him and she still suspected there was something hiding behind his fool’s façade. She had caught a glimpse of his intelligence once earlier in the season, it appeared when there was mizas to gain or gamble.

ImageImage
Shai
Alone in the dark.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Bob Barton on November 28th, 2011, 12:35 pm

Bob put Jinsen back down on the ground now that it has played his part to give Shai an idea. There was no way that he would have sold his dog unless he was offered a nice sum with a lot of zeroes in it but as a consolation he could try and find a dog which is pretty similar to Jinsen at least in its fuzzy looks. As for training and attitude, he doubted that anyone would want a dog with the same qualities but having been with Jinsen for so long he already learned how to put up with the difference it had with the other dogs. There was no one to be blamed really. Bob had to train Jinsen all on his own while the other animals had a more competent trainer in Hannah. One of the results should make Shai "consider yourself lucky. Why just yesterday Jinsen had the idea of trying to eat my shoes but I am lucky those things are tough" but it did not change the fact that it took Bob quite some time to get Jinsen away from what would be an expensive meal. It took a lot of commanding from soft to loud the more Bob lost his patience that the dog did not understand that "shoes are not for eating" until he gave up ending with promises of "nice meat and a nice walk" for the rest of the day which was why he needed to get Shai to buy something to make up for the lost time.

On the way to the place where the dogs are kept, Bob heard Shai's comment about trying for more "but that is just the way things are isn't it? Just what sort of a gambler would I be if I allow a prize like you to slip through like that?" It appears to Bob that Shai thought well of that comment when he caught her trying to hold back her smile. Well if that worked, then why not go further by saying that "it is only normal that after the main course we indulge ourselves in some sweet dessert" leaving Shai to figure out on her own what he meant if she could before Bob announced "here we are." The place with the dogs and as always they were just barking to get the attention of a potential new master. Putting his finger to his lips he told them to "keep quiet and let the lady think so you might have a chance" or some of them anyway "if you are small enough..." That did not call much for a dog and Bob tried to confirm if "you can't just lead it around in a leash? No? Alright..." That just made things a lot more difficult especially when most of the animals were catered to the Sunberth types.

"The only small dogs are the really useless ones like that one!" Bob said pointing to a chihuahua at one of the cages to the side. The only reason he remembered it so well is because "it is docile towards people but really, really noisy when you leave it along" not to mention that it is pretty cheap so even if Shai was a friend he would not want to sell it to her but as she was the customer the choice was hers so Bob had to ask "are you sure that you want it?" As Shai had thought, one of Bob's motivators in life is the chance to make a good bit of mizas for himself so in the end playing the hard and fast talking salesman he will decide for her "of course you don't. Dogs can't climb so you probably want something with claws...like a cat" Unfortunately Bob does not like cats especially after the kelvic incident earlier in the season so he told her that "they are only good for catching mice and sucking the life from right out of you but if you really want those I guess I can take you to see them. Not that I can provide anything special with those." Dogs he could try and train as with any other animal with some intelligence in them after some practice but not those bloody cats!

OOCYour call if you want to go to the cat place. If not just say that Bob decided to take Shai to where the more exotic animals are :)
Bob Barton
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Shai on November 29th, 2011, 6:12 pm

Shai nodded towards Bob, a cat wouldn’t awful. Felines were not her favorite creature by far, they were always underfoot at the worst times and aloof when you wanted them. The spider preferred to keep things under her control and not the will of some stubborn creature. As Bob led them away from the canines and towards the felines Shai noticed another room branching off. “Bob, what is in here?” Shai poked her head in to see cages and small habitats, turning back to look at her friend.

The Symenestra really needed something compact it would just makes things easier. Unfortunately a small spiderling wouldn’t work, surely her favorite animals but they didn’t bleed properly. The main goal had to be kept in mind; the creature would someday be a sacrifice. Without waiting for Bob’s reply Shai slipped into the room to see what sort of creatures there might be. Her eyes wondering over the various oddities that this room housed. “Do people really think pigeons are appropriate pets?” Shai stopped in front of a particularly large stall. The creature inside had long, dense hair. It looked somewhat reminiscent of a goat but much too large and the neck too long. Shai had no idea what it was and was momentarily perplexed by this oddity. “Bob what the petch is this thing?” Shai shook her head and moved on to the smaller animals, the strange creature was only a curiosity not something she would want to actually purchase.

Finally she found herself standing before a small ferret enclosure. There were a handful of the adorable little weasels sleeping in a large mound of furry bodies. She had seen the creatures in books in school while she was in Kalinor. Ferrets were indigenous the region of Kalea, where she was from. It seemed like a perfect pet for her, especially considering its intended purpose. “How much for a ferret, Bob?” Shai opened the cage and slid her hand in to pluck one of the half-grown kits from the mass. The ferrets commonly came in all whites or dark brown with white splotches. A few of these kits seemed to be marked with more exotic colors. The one Shai had removed was one of the off colors, it was cream with tiny black paws and a black mask marking over its eyes.

The spider could help but smile as the little creature gave a yawn to dispel its dreams. Cradling the creature against her chest she looked to Bob for her answer, she might have just found exactly what she had been looking for. But that depended entirely on how Bob decided to try and. . .weasel her out of her mizas. The man was shifty when coin was involved, but then again so was Shai.

Careful to avoid her claws, the spider stroked the kit’s soft coat. She wasn’t sure how to tell gender but she suspect Bob would be able to find out for her. If she recalled from her books the males had a tendency to smell much more ferociously than the females. Then again, this was Sunberth, a creature’s natural musk wouldn’t even register in the filthy streets full of urchins.

ImageImage
Shai
Alone in the dark.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Bob Barton on November 30th, 2011, 6:10 pm

Shai wanted a cat despite Bob's explanation of how useful they would be? "Your choice" and Bob started to head over to the cat place pausing for a moment to look at the other room at the side where the more different animals were kept and wondering if they should go there instead. There should be something in the mess of other animals that did not come under dogs or horses which would be too big for Shai's criterias but then it would only depend on what they found. If Shai did not find anything then she would not buy anything at all and Bob decided that in the end it was better if she got a cat. However, Shai must have found out something from his actions and asked what was in the room which "could be anything really." Once there was even a snake which was bought by a well to do man. "People spend money on strange things" he commented remembering that as Shai ran into the room which he had no choice but to follow in case anything happened nodding in agreement when she reached her since pigeons would come under strange things too.

The strangest thing in there so far would be the hairy goat thing that Shai found because "I have no idea myself..." Bob had never seen something like that before so it could have been a recent acquisition. Momentarily distracted by it to try and get an idea of what it was, Bob neglected to keep an eye on Shai allowing her to move to the ferrets undisturbed as he moved his hand towards the cage to see if it was an aggressive animal much like the way he tested the dogs. The animal just stared and turned away disinterested which made Bob mumble about how it should not ignore him. At the side was a bowl of food obviously for it as the common practice and Bob took a handful to see just "how are you going to ignore this?" He tossed it at the edge of the cage asking if it was "sure you don't want any?" as it came forward. When Bob took the food in his hand he could tell it was not meat but some sort of vegetation which gave him enough reason to not hesitate putting his hand through the bars and running his hands through the hair which was not really nice. Because he was so intrigued he made a promise to the animal that "if no one grooms you, I will do it first" just to see if he could.

That actually gave Shai enough time to find the ferrets which Bob only noticed when she asked about it. "Wait, what? Ferrets?" he asked moving closer to have a look. "The litter?" Bob asked as he scratched his head a little thinking that "i don't know the exact price. You have to ask Killroy about that" but that did not mean that he cannot offer some advice. The best one that he could think of which was good for the both of them was as he put it "buy them all in a bulk so you can get a big discount" but that was laughable if Shai agreed to it. So he gave a suggestion that as he knew "they are still growing and not really trained yet..." and if Bob was not mistaken the price also included the training so "you could try and negotiate a cheaper price about if from Killroy. I will try and see how the rest are being trained so I can help you do yours after it gets used to you I guess." A cheaper and better solution when all Shai needed to do is pay for the ferret and "go for dinner" with Bob when he did "or lunch" if the timing was better.

"I could even get a ferret of my own and test out the training on it?" he asked Shai but Bob would only do that "after you have bought yours" since that would cost him money unless someone else got it for him or he got himself an employees discount if Killroy had that. But still "a child ferret, do you really want that?" There were far more interesting and better animals around to pick from or "buy an older ferret" because it would cost more for Shai but that was the price to pay for "a well trained product of the kennels. If you want that I can show you those before you make up your mind" unless Shai might want to buy something else too.
Bob Barton
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Shai on December 26th, 2011, 11:49 pm

Shai held up the kit, perhaps Bob was correct. But, on the other hand, Shai knew full well that infant creatures had a much easier time wriggling their way into her emotions and that was precisely what she required. “No, I will stay with this one.” Stroking finger along the top of its cream furred head, her decision was definitely set. “But they do seem social” she noted looking back to the mass of slumbering ferrets in their cage. “If you got one perhaps they might be companions?”

Turning away from the enclosures she regarded Bob, “If you were to train the creature at least I know for certain what habits it has been taught. That is preferable to potential unknown and undesirable behaviors, do you not agree?” Shai inquired. Animal training was not her strong suit by any means but she had no plans to sever her working relationship with the small man anytime soon. Unless he wouldn’t drop this pretense of trying to get into her bedroll, then perhaps she would need to work something out. Regardless, “how much will this fellow cost me Bob?”

ImageImage
Shai
Alone in the dark.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Bob Barton on January 13th, 2012, 10:25 am

"Suit yourself..." Bob said a little bit disappointed that Shai was going for the cheaper and more worthless baby ferret that she held. That was not going to look too good with the boss. Nevertheless a sale was a sale and it looked like Shai wanted to buy more for a reason that was lost on Bob because "I don't think being social has anything to do with it since they are come from the same but..." stopping himself from saying anything further which might actually be successful in dissuading Shai. He instead continued on by doubling back that "...animals should be the same as us being more comfortable when there is something familiar close by. Of course if I have one they would be companions" and give Bob more opportunities to have his way with the symenestra but it would also mean he would have to buy it for himself and he already had enough work with animals to buy another one to add to it. Jinsen was an exception because it was given for free by one very adorable Hannah.

Because of that "wouldn't it be better if you got another one for yourself? The more the merrier as they say and they will always be together." Thinking about what Shai was proposing Bob replied that "I am more used to the dogs myself because of Jinsen but I could observe and ask around about how ferrets to help" as he headed towards the cage to check out the animals himself "but...Eep!" Before Bob could finish giving an answer about what he would want one of the kits stretched itself to try and get a playful nip at his finger causing him to jump back in surprise. Now he was going to end up looking bad unless he slowly turned as though nothing had happened saying that "you're absolutely right. The potential unknown and undesirable..." catching a quick glance back at the kit which is already going back on to whatever it is that ferrets do "...behaviors are something you want to avoid." Even Bob wanted to know how now for himself since Shai had suggested it just in case something worse happens during his work.

Bob's job as it was is limited to taking care of the animals and customers are something that he does on his own accord to try and get in good with his boss. His boss Killroy who is responsible for for everything in the place. But if Shai wanted Bob's opinion "you could just point out that this is animal has barely any benefit from the Kennels since it is that young when you talk to Killroy to get you a cheaper price. I mean it can't be more expensive than most of the other things here so you don't have to worry much. Are you sure all you want is a kit?" because whatever Bob did to try and help make the sale is not going to impress Killroy much. "We could always see if there is anything else before we go and find Killroy you know?" he suggested to keep the game going but knowing that Shai's mind was probably already set. Just how many people has he seen coming into the kennels and choosing their pet with that sort of expression on their face? Even in Sunberth it was more than enough for him to learn what it meant.
Bob Barton
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Avarice on November 10th, 2014, 2:13 am

Greetings! Salutations! Hello! *insert all other greetings in ze world*

I am Avarice, your lovely AS of Sunberth; and I am here to inform you that there is something wonderful coming your way...A Grade! Yes. You've finished a thread and it was wonderful so below you'll find your hard-earned XP and Lores. Any questions? PM me! (Don't be shy, I don't bite...I promise!) Also, please be sure to edit your post in the request thread to reflect your having received a grade!

Shai
XP
  • Acrobatics +1
  • Observation +2
  • Socialization +3
  • Rhetoric +1
LORES
  • Piety to Viratas Demands Blood
  • Bob: The Little Man of Killroy's Kennel
  • Jinsen: Bob's Furry Companion
  • Birds Are Filthy Little Petchers
  • Felines: Too Aloof and Underfoot for My Taste
  • Ferrets: The Perfect Choice
MISCELLANEOUS
  • N/A

Bob
In light of your retirement, your grade for this thread has been withheld. Should this PC ever be re-activated, simply shoot me a PM and I'll gladly award your XP and Lores.

Yours Truly,
- Avarice <3
Avarice
Twister's Avaricious Minion; AS of Sunberth

Words: 128126
Joined roleplay: September 18th, 2014, 3:12 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)