[Nyka OOC: Player's Guide] The Monks of Nyka

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Known as the Celestial Seat, Nyka is a religious city in Northern Sylira. Ruled by four demigods and traversed by a large crevice, the monk-city is both mystical and dangerous. [Lore]

[Nyka OOC: Player's Guide] The Monks of Nyka

Postby Liar on December 12th, 2011, 12:24 am

The Monks of Nyka

Please make sure you read the lore entry on the monks before you continue.

Those who choose the path of a Nykan monk make a lifelong commitment of worship and service. They forsake all worldly possessions and devote themselves to the protection of Nyka, whatever the cost. They may face threats from beyond and within the city walls, those they must defeat with either the strength of their weapons or the strength of their will. Though their lives are predominately violent, they spend many of their hours in worship of their respective Alvina through perfection of their trade: be it agriculture, business, defense, or art.

The Starting Package
As of the completion of a monk’s Selection Test, they add to their basic player starting package the following: a monk’s robes (embroidered with the sigil of their chosen Alvina) and sandals, their awarded weapon, and the water canteen that accompanied them in to the Aperture. Every monk receives a small efficiency room within the headquarters, but it is not uncommon for them to sleep elsewhere, if only occasionally. The food provided to them is first choice, but even so they tend not to indulge.

A monk’s skill points are typically allotted to best prepare them for duty. The majority tend to be in their respective weapon, with some in unarmed combat or quarterstaff. These weapons are:

wheatwhips
throwing discs
any manner of blade
hammers or bows

A substantial percentage of points should also be assigned to their chosen trade. This may include, but is not limited to:
agriculture/botany/cooking/animal husbandry
business/mathematics/negotiation
dual wield/philosophy/weaponsmithing
jewelcrafting/metalsmithing/masonry/carving

After these, some monks choose to spend their remaining points in social skills such as leadership, politics, and intimidation. Many take meditation, as well. World magic is exclusive to monks of the Tempered Anvil, and they would not begin their training until after passing the Selection Test. Personal magics are not forbidden, but neither are they typical due to their inherent dangers. Remember that these are only guidelines, and that every individual is unique. So long as your character shows true devotion to the Celestials and their city, (s)he is a candidate for the priesthood.

Relationship With Each Other
Within their own orders, monks typically share in a friendly competition which helps to fuel their training in combat as well as their respective trades. They may not enjoy the company of every individual with whom they share a sigil, but they generally treat each other within the bounds of honor and mutual respect.

They tend to be more hostile towards monks from other orders, however. It is uncommon to see a monk of another order in any particular quarter, unless (s)he is doing Skerr’s work by handing out food, or seeking trouble. While most monks do try to assert their superiority through fights and competition, killing outside of deep personal vendettas is extremely rare. The antagonism is as much symbolic as it is aggressive. Monks who do not wear the coin do not touch laats because it would be a disgrace to their own Alvina; monks who do not wear the anvil do not engage in craft because their Alvina expects otherwise. Of course, should the city as a whole encounter mutual danger, it is the monks’ duty to lay aside their differences in defense of Nyka.

Most novice monks are chosen as wards by an acolyte or prior who sees some potential in them. They serve as sponsors, who mentor the young monks about their role in the city and pass down their specific knowledge of weapon and trade. They may be chosen any time before or after their Selection Test, depending on the whim of the sponsor. A ward typically has only one sponsor, while a sponsor may have multiple wards.

Relationship With The People
First and foremost, the monks are sworn to protect the people of Nyka. They are the policemen, who enforce the law as well as carry out punishment to law-breakers. They are the management, who keep workers working and the city running. And of course, they are the defense, who ensure the safety of the people from any and all threats. Whether a monk is vicious or merciful is dependent on the individual or even the circumstances; the people of Nyka have learned not to vex any of them for fear of the former.

Though monks do not take a vow of chastity, they are not advised to make any lasting attachments due to the nature of their work. Still, it is not uncommon for monks to take so-called shadow spouses and visit them often; these people, like a monk’s sponsor, understand the risk of being close to such a person and may treat the relationship with varying seriousness. Nonetheless, they are not permitted a bed at the headquarters.

Becoming a Monk: The Selection Test
The Selection Test has four steps: the Fight, the Interview, the Trial, and the Ceremony. All four MUST be included in a single solo thread and submitted for grading, in order to receive the additional items and play as a monk. Feel free to PM me with questions concerning any part of your Selection Test thread.

The Fight
The physical prowess of the hopeful monk is judged in a hand-to-hand duel against one other randomly chosen contender. Each pair fights in the training hall of their respective headquarters until one manages to pin or otherwise incapacitate the other. Higher ranking monks, mostly those that will conduct the Interviews, watch and judge the fights; they rarely interfere, for in their eyes the concept of foul play is a loose one. It is entirely possible that the fighter who is ultimately pinned is chosen to move forward, if that person showed greater ingenuity and talent. After all, the events of the journey are far more substantial than the moment of its end.

Half of the prospective monks continue from this stage. Should the applicant lose their match, they are introduced the door.

The Interview
The victors of the fight will be lead singularly into a separate room, where they will be alone with a higher ranking monk for any length of time. This is your character’s chance to explain and prove their devotion, especially to the Alvina for whom they hope to swear their lives, as well as explain their philosophies concerning the Celestials, the Aperture, and Nykan law. The interviewer may ask any number of questions and have any manner of personality, but (s)he is never the hopeful monk’s sponsor.

While anyone may sign up to participate in the Selection Test, most foreigners who do are weeded out at this stage. Some interviewers may be even harder on them, and will seek proof of their assimilation as Nykans as well as dedication to their home, culture, and rulers: the Celestials.

None or all of the prospective monks may continue from this stage. Should the interview deem the applicant ineligible for the next stage, they are introduced the door.

The Trial
The remaining monks are clothed in pure white robes and taken in a small procession to one of the twelve bridges over the Aperture (it is uncommon that more than twelve make it to this stage). A ladder is thrown over the edge by the candidate’s sponsor, if they already have one, or by the monk who interviewed them. They are given a full canteen of water, which they may carry in their hands or between their teeth as they descend into the Aperture. The ladder is drawn up and is not thrown down again for three days.

All the prospective monk must do is survive. They may encounter anything or nothing. They may be attacked by ferocious beasts from which they have no defense but their hands; they may be faced with shadows and demons of the mind that haunt them with doubt and fear. They may stumble upon the ruins of Nykalia, or the corpse of a defeated hopeful, or suffer hallucinations beyond their wildest imaginations. The sun may or may not give a glimpse of the surroundings for a short period of time, which may or may not be good for their sanities. Nykans throw food into the Aperture every day as offering; it is the choice of the applicant and his moral code, whether he will steal a bite.

Many die at this stage, most by the will of the Aperture, but some are also executed after they are caught escaping dishonorably. Those that come up alive at the end of the third day are barely so, their white robes displaying to the world the filth and blood of their triumph.

The prospective monks that survive are ushered proudly to the Celestial Palace to take their vows.

The Ceremony
With the Four Celestials present to witness, the new monks of all four orders stand side by side to be presented with their new titles. They strip themselves of their dirty robes and their old lives, and then another monk of the same order, a sponsor if applicable, gives each a new set of robes to don immediately. Thus garbed, they recite the vows which they have long since memorized:

I am a monk of Nyka. My body has strength and my mind has purpose. I know not the weaknesses of the flesh. I may be killed, but I shall not die.
I serve the city that gave me life by giving her my life. Should I renounce my duties, forever I shall be banished.
I am always prepared. I shall never turn down a challenge that my opponent has the right or opportunity to issue.
At war, I am relentless. At peace, I am industrious. I know no rest in battle, or luxury in my house. I shall own nothing but be thankful for what the city gives unto me.
My gratitude to Nyka and her founders has no bounds. I shall not worship the immortals who plot against Nyka or those who have wronged the Celestials.

Then they are presented with the weapon of their order, and assume their duties as monks.
Last edited by Liar on May 10th, 2012, 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Consolidated to Player's Guide
Liar
This statement is false.

Words: 175519
Joined roleplay: November 24th, 2011, 10:20 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook