A Glimmer Of The Future [Abashai/Tarot]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

Re: A Glimmer Of The Future [Abashai/Tarot]

Postby Tarot on March 2nd, 2010, 4:23 pm

Matilda picked up the metamorphosed book with reverence, having slightly paled from the wondrous event. She took a long look at the cover, saying nothing of it, and then opened it to double-check after Nya. She put the thing back on the table and spoke to the pair in a gentle but firm tone.

"That does look like the location of the Keep. I suppose it is no use asking you to delay your trip till the spring, but you may at least want to gear up for the expedition. I just have… an uneasy feeling about this, but that is the full extent of my help. People have always been my thing, the future, not so much." The Konti looked like she had aged a bit right there and then. "I know your minds are set and there is nothing I can say to change them. I will pray to the gods for your safety, my friends."

The Konti cast another glance at the cover of the book. This was the very first time she had witnessed such a phenomenon in her long life, and it was twice as serious for her, though she could not have told Nya and Abashai, for they were instruments of the gods, set on a path of greater good. She looked at the cover again, shook her head and stood up like an ancient priestess. Right now she wasn't Matilda the landlady, or even Matilda the rumor mill. She was Matilda the Konti, possessing the blood of royal advisors and keepers of secrets.

Miracles never happened on a whim. Matilda leaned on her cane and disappeared into the next room without uttering a word. She returned after a while, carrying an old cherry box under her free arm. The carvings ran all over its sides, showing scenes of the sea and maidens with their heads bowed, emerging from the waves. It was a solemn thing, perhaps even vaguely creepy. Matilda set the box upon the table and removed the lid. Inside, laid upon a scarlet cushion, was a three-pronged bone dagger, the kind that the Konti called 'Suvai'. That, too, was etched with the hilt bearing the likeness of a Konti very similar to Matilda herself.

"You two take this with you," she said, or rather commanded, "and promise you will both come back in one piece to return it. It is a heirloom, and one I have never used. It has never drawn blood, but my grandmother and my mother always said it protected them in times of need. Legend has it that it was made to extinguish one life, and one life only, though nobody knows which. Its name is Galannas. Do keep it safe for me."

She sat down again, and took a sip of tea, her hand not quite as steady as it had been before.
Tarot's thread tickets: sold out. Not accepting any more threads for the time being unless I promised you one. Sorry for the inconvenience!
Tarot
May you live in interesting times

Words: 766317
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:29 pm
Blog: View Blog (11)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Thread (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Being Tarot Award (1)
O RLY Decoration (1)

Postby Nya Winters on March 3rd, 2010, 9:29 pm

Nya blew on the journal she had, trying to set the ink as Matilda retrieved her text. She listened carefully to the ancient Konti and nodded knowingly. "Matilda, we value your advice. If you don't want us to leave until spring, we can do that. But... I do not think Abashai and I were made for a calm quiet life here in Syliras. There are things in the world that need doing, and unless someone steps up and does them, they won't get done. We can't take on every problem, but I think this one is our special cause. These people hurt others. Abashai has always felt like he is not going to waste a gift he was given as a younger man by not doing something with his life that makes a difference. I was built to serve. I feel the need to do so with my whole being. It is supposed to be us that helps. I firmly believe that. We might not succeed, but we can sure do a lot to help which might mean someone else's success." Nya said softly. She was not so naive as to know victory was guaranteed. Others, including Aurin, had died trying as well... and they were a lot stronger than Abashai and herself.

"We just appreciate the advice. We really do... without your help we'd have never known which way to go."
The forest cat said, closing her journal finally and stowing it along with her ink and the bright quill into her pack.

When the Konti left again, Nya glanced at Abashai with concern. Had she said the wrong thing? The more she thought about it, Nya felt listening to Matilda and going in the spring might be the best way to do things. Matilda might not know why, but Nya trusted the Konti's instincts, even if they were about people and not necessarily about the future. The truth was, the pair could use every advantage they could wrestle up, even the words of caution from someone who was a stranger just a short season ago.

When Matilda returned with the weapon, Nya was momentarily confused. Then she listened to Matilda's words and nodded at them. The forest cat wasn't sure if the weapon was something they'd really need, or if it was something that made Matilda feel like she was getting an oath out of them that would see them through the journey and back safely to Syliras. The forest cat didn't make any move to touch the weapon. Abashai was their weapons expert, and he'd decide to carry it or not. But that it had a name, and a beautiful one, made her smile slightly. Galannas. She glanced at her mate and back at the weapon.

"Thank you." She said simply, hoping it was indeed lucky and that the luck would carry onto someone who wasn't konti and wasn't in Matilda's family. "Thank you for trusting her with us. Shai and I will take good care of her and see that she comes back to you. Does... Galannas mean anything in Kontinese?" The forest cat asked, curious...

After Matilda's answer, Nya would gather their things up one last time from their room and move them back to the cave to begin sorting. She'd made some decisions about things that would effect Abashai... and they'd pack as they talked deciding when exactly to leave and what to take. The forest cat couldn't expect Sus to pack all her gear and Abashai and all his gear as well plus she needed to bring her cat saddle and Shai would want his weapons. It was too much for one horse, and they couldn't just rely on Sus for everything. Nya needed to go secure a good packhorse. If they were going to take one along, two would be very little effort in addition to the one.
Nya Winters
Let the winds in my heart blow...

Words: 784686
Joined roleplay: June 7th, 2009, 6:53 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Trailblazer (1) Never Say Die (1)
Donor (1) 2017 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
2017 Top NaNo Word Count (1)

Postby Abashai on March 5th, 2010, 7:52 pm

As Matilda received the book from Nya, Abashai felt a prickly sensation along his spine. Something supernatural had transpired, some ethereal significance that escaped the mortal man. The sobering shift in Matilda's demeanor concerned him. To Abashai, the aged Konti had seemed beyond the capability of being disturbed. She never appeared surprised by any circumstance that Nya or Abashai brought to her, but carried her self with the dignity and wisdom of an all-knowing sage.

The seer now spoke, grave concern apparent in her alabaster features. Somehow, she seemed to know, probably better than the couple themselves, the difficulty of the road ahead. He found no comfort in her words this time. Abashai listened to Nya reply, content to let her speak fror both of them, nodding in agreement. He continued to turn the new revelations and the Konti's disconcerting words over in his mind.

Waiting for Matilda to return, Abashai looked at Nya, seizing her luminous gaze. Resting his hand on her knee, he spoke no words, but simply allowed her to see the determination in his eyes, to feel reassurance through the bond. Then the Konti returned, box in hand.

He leaned forward, studying the box. It was gorgeously crafted, the carvings seeming to depict some event. The weapon inside was unfamiliar. It hardly appeared functional, carved out of one piece of bone or ivory, he surmised, and beautifully carved as well. Suvai...he would have to research that. Matilda's words sunk in as he stared at the weapon. It seemed to carry such significance, he hesitated to even touch it. He felt as if it were sacrilege to handle it in Matilda's presence. He simply closed the box and tucked it carefully under his arm. The bondmates would have to discuss how they would deal with Galannas.

In fact, they would have many things to discuss. They had their first destination, but the cautious Benshiran would not leave for the Keep until he was sure Nya and himself were ready for what lay ahead. Especially with the ominous words of the Konti still echoing in his head.
Abashai
There are winds I am compelled to follow...

Words: 391987
Joined roleplay: August 25th, 2009, 4:12 pm
Race: Human, Benshira
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Character (1) Trailblazer (1)

Postby Tarot on March 6th, 2010, 9:07 pm

Matilda gave a thin smile at Nya's question. "The one who named it did not want its meaning to be disclosed. This Suvai is almost as old as the Konti themselves, and it is one in the original series made as a template for later artisans. While the craftsmanship is Konti, its design does not belong to mortals. I am afraid there are some secrets I am not allowed to reveal to an outsider, Nya. I hope you will understand."

She nodded when Abashai took the box under his arm, then bowed to the pair with a strange mannerism, one foreign to the aged Konti and one that must have been somewhat uncomfortable for her body. She bid them goodbye and waited for them to take their leave.

When they were gone, Matilda sat down with her head between her hands. She could not avert her eyes from the book no matter how hard she tried. There were times in a Konti's life when the Sight was almost too heavy to bear. Matilda had always counted herself lucky to never have known such moments. She knew how hard the advisor Konti had it, and never ever envied them. Her life suited her just fine the way it was. Then there were days like this.

She watched, transfixed, the letters that only she could see. Eyris was apparently not the only one who had left her signature on the book, but this particular ink of blood was for Matilda's eyes only. The word 'DEATH', spelled out across the page just above the X on the map, seemed to bleed down before her gentle eyes.

Why didn't I tell them? Can there ever be forgiveness for my sin?

OOCShort post, feel free to discuss things among yourselves!
Tarot's thread tickets: sold out. Not accepting any more threads for the time being unless I promised you one. Sorry for the inconvenience!
Tarot

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
O RLY Decoration (1)

Postby Nya Winters on March 12th, 2010, 5:15 pm

As the pair walked away, Nya was certain of her course moreso than ever. Even if Matilda didn't realize it, the konti had helped in ways the pair owed her dearly for. They'd bring her suvai back, safely, because it was a binding oath Nya had made - one in which she must survive to see things through. Shai would do no less either. And together, they had lots of planning to do. Nya also wanted to find another Konti to ask about the suvai, for she had no idea what they truly were. Sometimes, in Common, there were so many words that overlapped and had meaning, but it wasn't clear just way. She wasn't sure if it was related, but the Suvan Empire sounded a lot like Suvai and Suva the old city beneath the sea.

It gave Nya a lot to think of - things that were actually a little difficult for her to dwell on - and made her wonder if she'd understand them better or would be told more if she were human. In a way, Nya envied Matilda. She was beautiful, timeless, and would live to see generations of humans so far past Nya and Shai's life that the forest cat could barely comprehend it. As it was, Nya would struggle to live out her life and make it stretch as long as Abashai's was. In truth, she knew the odds were incredibly impossible that she'd even make it twenty years for a thirty year old forest cat was unheard of. For all that Talderian animals were bigger than most others, they were prone to far more health problems as well - especially joint and muscle situations. It was something she didn't like thinking of and something that when she did think of made her realize that the best use of her life was in helping someone she truly loved do something that needed doing - even at the risk of her own life. Zulrav had made her childhood bearable in its foreign isolation and in the face of her parents horror. She would go to the end of the world looking for his power cube for him. And now that she had a bondmate, a mate really, she was glad Shai was willing to be part of that journey as well.

It just seemed... a whole lot more serious now for some reason... and a whole lot more dangerous with a bondmate involved than it had been on her own. Planning. That would be important. The trip south would be as well. She noted Abashai took the weapon and tucked it away under his arm. She hadn't been surprised. He was the keeper of such things. And as they left, Nya lingered slightly, worried about Matilda. When Shai was through the doorway and headed down the street back towards their room by a few steps, she paused and glanced back in at the Konti.

"Don't worry for us Matilda. We do this willingly because a God asked it of us. There can be no better reason, really, because he is a God that has been good to me all my life and who I am very faithful too. Sometimes, when they are involved, it is a hard thing. But it also means it is an important thing. If something happens, we'll see the Suvai back to you one way or another. But be at peace and know we are doing this because we want too not because we feel compelled." And with that she was out the door racing to catch Shai.

Wrapup?Are we about done here?
Nya Winters
Let the winds in my heart blow...

Words: 784686
Joined roleplay: June 7th, 2009, 6:53 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Trailblazer (1) Never Say Die (1)
Donor (1) 2017 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
2017 Top NaNo Word Count (1)

A Glimmer Of The Future [Abashai/Tarot]

Postby Tarot on April 1st, 2010, 4:14 pm

Nya
  • +1 Investigation
  • Lore of the Areesa Tallshade Memorial Keep
  • Lore of Kiphos Shaik

Abashai
  • Galannas the Suvai [SS updated]
  • Lore of the Areesa Tallshade Memorial Keep
  • Lore of Kiphos Shaik
Tarot

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
O RLY Decoration (1)

Previous