The big Magic thread

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This is the first step to starting a lore article. Please hold all conversations about lores here in this forum. No development takes place here ie Article posting. This forum is simply for threads that want to hash out what a lore should or shouldn't include as well as its merits and flaws. One can also gauge interest in new lore here as well. Polls are encouraged.

Moderator: Scribes

The big Magic thread

Postby Tarot on August 1st, 2009, 9:37 pm

I really wanted to start this discussion tonight despite the front page still giving me some trouble.

Okay, I will admit to being behind on magic development - building the website took a lot more time than I thought - and only a few disciplines are done and ready for play... Reimancy, Voiding, Familiary, Glyphing and Magecraft as of right now. The rest need development, some more so than others. This is where we can discuss magic as a whole. :)

Just a few high-level points. We have three types of magic in Mizahar, they work in a "rock paper scissors" kind of way and each has unique traits. There's definitely stuff you can't do with all three.

Personal magic - amoral and self-centered (so, no healing others, just to name one). Brutally effective, but dangerous to the user. No hard limits on usage, but side effects cumulate with abuse (overgiving). Kind of narrow scope for each discipline, but they mix well together.

Gnosis - moral-centered, religious magic. You can't advance or "level up" through experience, but only by pleasing the deity that fuels your power. Breadth of power depends on the god's rank and domain. Gnosis can be negative - good luck!

World magic - the most scientific type, it's the kind of magic you do in a lab. Hazardous, but possibly the most open-ended category. No instant effects though; they have to be prepared beforehand.

(As you can see, all disciplines have rather strict boundaries - we really want to avoid Everythingomancy here... all the more because there are no skill caps in Mizahar). Another concept is that I'm not a fan of complex casting mechanics, mostly because I think they detract from the story. Mizahar is designed to keep the drudgery to a minimum, so two paragraphs on the way you conjure Djed from the depths of your souls shouldn't probably be required to cast something. :)

Ideas? Questions? Suggestions? Volunteers for development?
Tarot's thread tickets: sold out. Not accepting any more threads for the time being unless I promised you one. Sorry for the inconvenience!
Tarot
May you live in interesting times

Words: 766317
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:29 pm
Blog: View Blog (11)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Thread (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Being Tarot Award (1)
O RLY Decoration (1)

Re: The big Magic thread

Postby Alyxandyr Finn on August 2nd, 2009, 3:41 am

I agree with just about every point you hit, Tarot.

I can promise nothing given my current schedule, but I might take a look at the undeveloped magics and see if I can help one or two along.
~*~
Apologies to those I am currently Threading with. Threading may come slowly, because my muse for Miza has recently been strangled by some of the staff. Please bare with me, I don't plan on leaving...I just don't have a lot of stomach for the game at the moment, so I have to move slowly.
~*~
Alyxandyr Finn
Pervin' Ermine

Words: 11709
Joined roleplay: August 1st, 2009, 3:54 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet

Postby Gillar on August 3rd, 2009, 8:53 am

Before I get too carried away with it, I wanted to put it out there that I am at least starting back up on putting together an addition to the Price List that tackles magic related items. This would include things related to alchemy such as various substances/chemicals, materials and tools. Also, specific poisons, herbs and items of nature that would be used in areas of magic, psuedo-magic and related fields. It doesn't involve the actual process of using magic, casting, etc. However, as with my other price lists, there will be relatively detailed descriptions of each item as well as average cost. In essence, I am thinking that these items/materials/whatever will be more useful in World Magic as they all lend to preparing more complex items that unleash some sort of effect.

Now, for poops and petunias, I put together a rather large list of different materials to help add some flavor to things although it may or may not be helpful. For example; the stomach of an adder, sweat from a barbarian or an entire spider are all examples of different materials.

I am little rusty on my Djed knowledge but would various materials like the above examples carry any minuscule slivers of Djed that could be manipulated through various procedures (alchemy-like)? Through the process, could the slivers are pulled out and mixed with others to create different substances and so on? This would make collecting odd materials kind of fun and allow some rather unique concoctions to be created.
Gillar
Forging the World

Words: 1345407
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 6:44 pm
Race: Isur
Office
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Duskshroud on August 14th, 2009, 4:00 am

Can we - maybe - flesh out these types of magics some, so I might better picture it. Right now I am running on (visually) D& D equivalents. Particularly in the source of the power, of examples of differing sources of power.

For example:

Personal Magic - fueled primarily through strength of will, disciplines of personal magic are mentally and physically fatiguing. A personal magic-user may be a person with extra-sensory perception, telepathic abilities, an unusually acrobatic thief (who's mental disciplines augment his physical agility and speed) or a ghost.

Gnosis - A priest or disciple of a god/goddess, or a chosen champion of a god/goddess

World Magic - A scientist of the arcane, an inventor, a scholar. This magic is exerted through means both mental and alchemical, but ultimately stem from a strict understanding of the fabrics of reality and magic. This magic takes precision to execute and would be difficult to execute in anything but very controlled circumstances.

Additionally, can we start discussing a 'starter list' of potential disciplines for these schools?
Duskshroud
Player

Words: 4404
Joined roleplay: August 11th, 2009, 12:31 pm
Race: Ghost
Character sheet

Postby Dranquay on August 15th, 2009, 10:42 am

Just poking my head in here (Before even posting my character sheet, go figure it) to say i'd be happy to contribute and may see if I can expand upon one or two of the less-expanded Personal Magic spheres to get the writeups done (provided life doesn't go and consume me as it has a habit of doing so lately).

Really like the system though, I suppose if I had any query it would be about how magic is supposed to be played out in-character...but I suspect i'll discover that with a little more looking around and poking of forums and it sounds really nice and free form...essentially if you overplay you get kicked for overgiving, which seems like a nice, simple, clean mechanic.
Dranquay
Player

Words: 12907
Joined roleplay: August 14th, 2009, 11:17 pm
Race: Akvatari