[Flashback] A Curious Study of Gears (Solo)

An eager Vantha gets his hands on basic gadgets.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

Postby Eridanus on October 27th, 2011, 6:04 pm

Day 33, Summer of Fall 505
30 Chimes after the 9th Bell
Zeltiva University

The Vantha rubbed his hands, surveying the diagram in front of him. He was in a novice gadgeteer's workshop, a kind of practical classroom that contained basic tools for the beginner students. It was summer break, and the other students tended to pursue their interests or return home to sleep off the academic strain. Not he, however, for he knew the university was crammed full of knowledge, and he could almost salivate at the prospect of gaining more know-how.

In exchange for cleaning up the engineering classrooms, he had earned himself some free-time to tinker with the things in there. He was under strict instruction not to use any form of magic whatsoever, and to restrict himself to the basic six machines. As the gadgeteering professor did not wish to clock over-time teaching him anything, he had to learn the ropes himself from introduction books borrowed from the library. By confining him to the six machines only, the professor hoped to prevent any errant explosions that might occur as a result of over-enthusiastic experimentation.

Eridanus had not actually started any hands-on yet, still reading the book and trying to fully understand the engineering process. He had not fully understood the applications of the Basic Six yet, but one thing he intuitively grasped about the process is the inherent importance of cause and effect. The entire science was to automate this process, and thus a wondrous machine would be then to take in a desired input, the cause and release the desired output, the effect.

Having been stranded on the mortal coil for a period of time, he gained a thorough understanding of cause and effect by sheer observation, and of course a couple of lessons from the school of hard knocks. What he needed to know now, was what kind of effect each of the six machines would produce when caused by a certain motion. He was pretty sure mathematics had something to do with it, but his limited grasp of theoretically mathematics denied him from solving the problem in his head. This was why practical hands-on is required if he was to ever learn anything.

If he ever hoped to build complex machines, he needed to fully master and grasp the implications of all six machines, for all machines are built from a combination of these six, and intimate knowledge of these building blocks would be required to progress.

Well, here goes nothing.

Eridanus rolled up his sleeves and picked up an object that seemed like a lever. He compared the picture with the illustration in the book to make sure, and prodded it around the table, examining it from every angle.

After a while, he realized that there was a certain point in between that served as a kind of neutral ground. The basic lever was a small plank of wood with a copper weight in the middle below the plank. He flipped the wood curiously, and noted that no matter how he flicked the wood - of course taking care not to spoil anything - one side would always be the opposite of the other side, with the line denoting which side is which being the location of the copper weight.
NOTICE: I am currently mostly inactive til August. As such, guild activities are temporarily halted (watch out for major revamps, changes and organizations when I'm back in full force). Any activity with Eri will be rather slow as well, but I am slowly readjusting back to "Mizahar life", so to speak, so do PM me if we have a thread that I left hanging and we'll talk.

"You must be one hardcore scholar, Eri." (Laszlo)
First winner of the prestigious Mirage's No Kill Medal.
Eridanus
It's Peanut Butter Jelly Time!

Words: 1312082
Joined roleplay: October 24th, 2011, 2:03 am
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) 2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
2011 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1) 2011 Top NaNo Word Count (1)

Postby Eridanus on November 29th, 2011, 4:11 pm

He slowly lifted the plank, and with interest observed that the magnitude of movement on both sides are equal.

Eridanus almost smacked his own head as he realized that. It was an obvious fact, a result that can be logically derived from the observation that the plank of wood is unyieldingly straight, and thus given information about a small part of the wood the location of the rest of the wood can be deduced. Using this same principle, he deduced that the purpose of the lever was then to cause a reverse effect from the input. If one side goes down, the other side would naturally go up.

What he was curious about, next, was to whether the location of the copper weight played any part in it. He could view it in his mind now, except that instead of machines he used humans and blades - things he was familiar with - as figures. The location of the copper weight below would definitely matter, for it decided where the line was drawn.

The Vantha traced a line in one of the paragraphs with a finger which alerted him to a secondary purpose. The location of the copper weight would determine also the magnitude multiplier. The example given was that if the copper weight was placed very close to the output end, a small amount of input would result in a much larger output. In practical terms, the above lever would remain at a equilibrium even if the input weight is much lighter than the output weight. Still, he desired to know the actual details behind it and, flipping a page, was confounded by a complex mathematical formula.

Uh oh. This doesn't look very good. Hmm...

He looked below for a wordy explanation, and slowly tried to grasp the concept, introducing his mind to this idea. It seemed that the book used the concept of ratio, something he generally understood as a form of comparison.

Very interesting.

By using the concept of ratios, he would not then need to fully understand the exact details - at least for now - of the mathematical formula to understand the lever, for the explanation given was that the ratio of the length of the lever from the point of input to the copper weight and the magnitude of input was similar to the ratio of the length of the lever from the copper weight to the point of output and the magnitude of output.

It was then that he realized it was not necessary to view it as an input-output mechanism. It was simply force, and essentially a form of transferring energy. It was like how if he punched something, it would fly off. But if it flew to his hand with an equal force, his hand would be flung backwards.

And be rather sore afterwards.

Satisfied that he had more or less grasped the basics of the lever, he put it at a side, flipping the next page to see what else he could learn.
NOTICE: I am currently mostly inactive til August. As such, guild activities are temporarily halted (watch out for major revamps, changes and organizations when I'm back in full force). Any activity with Eri will be rather slow as well, but I am slowly readjusting back to "Mizahar life", so to speak, so do PM me if we have a thread that I left hanging and we'll talk.

"You must be one hardcore scholar, Eri." (Laszlo)
First winner of the prestigious Mirage's No Kill Medal.
Eridanus
It's Peanut Butter Jelly Time!

Words: 1312082
Joined roleplay: October 24th, 2011, 2:03 am
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) 2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
2011 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1) 2011 Top NaNo Word Count (1)

Postby Paragon on January 14th, 2012, 3:04 am

Eridanus :
Eridanus

Skill XP Reward
Mathematics +2
Gadgeteering +1
Observation +1
Intelligence +1

Lore: Gadgeteering: Transfers of Energy, Gadgeteering: Magnitude Multipliers, Introduction to Gadgeteering - By Lucan Abelo

Other: N/A

Great little solo, I think I learnt a bit here too! - if you have ANY questions or concerns about this grading, don't hesitate to PM me.
Paragon
The Gordian Knot

Words: 448583
Joined roleplay: December 1st, 2011, 8:55 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Featured Contributor (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)