[Sun And Stars] We Sheeps Got To Stick Together (Laszlo)

A very old soul meets a very new one - and tries to sell him some beer!

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Considered one of the most mysterious cities in Mizahar, Alvadas is called The City of Illusions. It is the home of Ionu and the notorious Inverted. This city sits on one of the main crossroads through The Region of Kalea.

Postby Arrow on November 24th, 2011, 5:00 am

Arrow watched not with apprehension, but with a certain amount of suspenseful anticipation, as Lazslo put the ale to his lips. The Ethaefal's expression was enough to let the brewer know, even before the words of approval came forth, that the beer was acceptable. He could not help but smile, in the way that anyone does who brings something to life, who creates, can not but take pride in his accomplishment, no matter how humble it might be. With the mug that Lazslo had passed to him, Arrow quickly and expertly drew himself a cup and tasted it, letting the flavor expand in his mouth. It was a good batch. With time, the consistent quality of his brewing had increased, so that he could feel assured that each batch would please.

With another sip, Arrow felt the tingling and he knew the sun was setting at that very moment. This had happened so often, twice a day, every day, for more than four centuries, he barely noted it. A flash of light, and another where Lazslo still stood, and it was as if the two had changed places. Now Arrow’s head sprouted the curling horns, though instead of a reddish hue, they were the color of butterscotch. The short blonde hair had lengthened to rusty brown tendrils that fell down past his shoulders. Once green eyes now shone a shimmering silvery violet. His tan complexion had lightened to an opalescent glow and his face had taken on that unearthly beauty that had been Lazslo’s but a moment before. In height, he had only gained an inch or so, and his musculature had expanded just enough that the shirt he wore was more taut across the chest and arms. It all happened literally in the blink of an eye, and to Arrow it was just simply what transpired every evening of his life. But he was indeed curious to see what form Lazslo took at night, and whether, as it had sounded, this nocturnal form was a cause for dismay.

His eyes had already been on the other Ethaefal, so it wasn’t an obvious act of ogling that allowed him to witness Lazslo’s transformation. Right away, he recognized this new form, Lazslo’s nightime race. And Arrow could understand why Lazslo might think him more lucky to have his other half take the form of a plain human. A Symenestra was not, perhaps, the most happy of bodies to inhabit for half of each and every day. That was not to say that there weren’t plenty of Symenestra who were exultant to be of their race, proud and sometimes even a bit contemptuous of other races. But to share your consciousness between two such different forms, yes, he could see how that in and of itself would be difficult. Knowing what he did about the Symenestra culture, their use of surrogates and how many throughout Mizahar loathed and despised them, made it that much easier to believe that Lazslo might be unhappy with his lot. And finally, knowing full well what it was like to go through the trauma of rebirth, and having to learn all over everything there was to know about life, Arrow could empathize completely with the now dour looking creature before him. To have to be Symenestra, without the benefit of being raised as one, supported at least by a family and an entire culture, to help harden those beliefs that their way was a righteous and necessary one, that would be difficult. With sympathetic eyes, he gazed on this other version of Lazslo, wondering what hidden grief might roil within that wan, frail body - wanting to soothe it if he could, yet knowing intuitively that in all likelihood he would not be able to. Aurelia had helped him, all those years ago, but he had opened himself up to her, and her comfort, only after he came to trust her, and to love her. It had been a very, very special bond, one that had truly brought him from the depths of despair. That level of connection between two souls was rare indeed.

Still, if he and Lazslo could at least become friends, Arrow thought that he could try to bring some comfort to him. It might be a great coincidence that Lazslo had met two of his siblings in a very short space of time. But really, there were few of them all told, and scattered about across the face of Mizahar. When they could, they should try to help one another, to cope with falling from heaven to this indefinite purgatory. He firmly believed that.

All these observations had passed within a brief moment, and Arrow’s expression had not changed to reflect any of them. In response to the information about having to wait and talk to this Victor Lark, Arrow said simply, “That would be great, if you could do that. I look forward to meeting him. Sounds like a man after my own heart.” He smiled and then took another sip of the ale. “I’m glad you like it. I hope your Victor will as well.” When Lazslo finally raised those amethyst eyes and put his question to Arrow, the Etheafal’s smile did not lessen, but a very observant person might have noted a touch of wistfulness that settled on his features.

It was a loaded question, the answer to which would probably not make Lazslo happy. The uncertainty of their existence, the limbo that had no foreseeable end, was like a bad dream sometimes, where one is always walking but never moving forward. Run and run and run, and you still get nowhere. It was possible Lazslo was old himself. If so, Arrow’s considerable age would only confirm Lazslo’s own experience, but probably would not make him feel any better about having gone through the same lengthy time himself. On the other hand, the other Ethaefal might be very young. Knowing that Arrow had fallen so long ago, and was still here, earthbound, would almost certainly bring little joy. It was a question that had no good answer. So, there seemed nothing for it but to answer it simply and directly and let Lazslo make of it what he would.

“I fell not too long after the Valterrian. Over four hundred years ago.” His own silvery-purple eyes looked steadily into Lazslo’s, which were very alike in color. “So, that makes me . . . very old.” He leaned casually back against the bar, resting his elbows on it, the mug dangling slightly from one elegant looking hand. “And you, Lazslo?” He asked quietly. “How long have you been back here?”
Arrow
long ago, how did I forget . . . holding you

Words: 43972
Joined roleplay: November 16th, 2011, 7:14 pm
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Laszlo on November 25th, 2011, 8:52 am

Laszlo's brow creased as he beheld the evening phase of Leth's Ethaefal, shining there in the sorry mediocrity of the dark, cheaply furnished tavern. He was like a vibrant, colorful orchid rising through the murky air of a dank, atrocious swamp. It felt wrong to look at him, like he shouldn't have been able to exist in a place like this, or anywhere. The curve of his narrow jaw, the lattice of his soft hair, the life of his colors—it simply didn't make sense in this world. He was perfect. He was beautiful.

Was that what everyone else saw when they looked at Laszlo in the daytime?

Siofra had been undoubtedly lovely as well, her face singing of purity and wisdom. She had worn her sorrow like a shadow, however, veiling her true light and keeping her beauty more private. The indigo in her eyes had been so lifeless and difficult to look at. The lavender in Arrow's flawless eyes was warm and inviting. Transfixed, Laszlo could scarcely not look into them.

"Uh." Eventually he had to force himself to, in order to remember his thoughts. At some point, his astonishment over Arrow's appearance changed into shock over what he had said about his age, but when that occurred was impossible to place. Laszlo's slender, pale face was caught in a seemingly permanent state of amazement. He stared down into the shimmering contents of his mug. It was filled with ale brewed by a 400-year old Ethaefal. He suddenly felt as if the substance were more precious than gold. "Four… hundred years ago," he murmured, as if saying it out loud again would make it any less bewildering.

Laszlo shook his head, finally bringing himself to look up again. When his deep, violet eyes met Arrow's once more, they were tinted with a certain bitterness, as if he'd just faced a severe and dark realization. "Compared to you? Barely an eyeblink." Cupping his mug between both slender hands, he lifted it to his face and took a long, hearty drink. As the tingling, crisp flavor passed over his tongue, he tried to taste Arrow's experiences and years of knowledge poured into the making of his drink. "This Winter will make it two years for me. I… I can't even fathom four hundred."

The small girl hadn't been Arrow's daughter, but Laszlo had to guess that she aged no differently than any other young girl. She must have been his charge—Gods, Arrow could have already had his own children by now. His own grandchildren, and great-great-great grandchildren.

His knees had begun to feel a little weak, so he leaned against the bar heavily, trying to process an existence in Mizahar, separated from his own Syna for four centuries or more. It didn't. The concept of a time that long in this body simply couldn't take shape in his mind.

"How…?" Laszlo was staring at his ale again, but glanced toward Arrow from the corner of his eye. Silvery tresses shifted as he ever so slightly turned his head. "How do you—" He wasn't even sure what he was trying to ask. "How have you lived this long, in these violent times? Without Leth? I must seem like an insect to you."
In the daytime I am one of Syna's fallen.
At night, I am Symenestra.
Laszlo
Team Imass!

Words: 635811
Joined roleplay: September 3rd, 2011, 3:36 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 5
Featured Character (1) Artist (1)
Overlored (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)
2011 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Arrow on November 26th, 2011, 1:42 pm

Arrow always found the reaction of those of his own race to others of their kind intriguing. Beauty was beauty, and there were few living creatures that weren’t drawn to it in some way. And though beautiful in the extreme themselves, most Etheafal still could not help but be taken with the loveliness of their brothers and sisters. In the case of the children of Syna, when they met the children of Leth, and vice versa, he sometimes wondered if there was a touch of envy mingled with that appreciation, when in their non-heavenly forms. To go from such radiant physical perfection to whatever shape, age and attributes their body was forced into was always something of a shock, and something of a let down. To be in that inferior state, and then to encounter another who wore the guise gifted them by their divine patron, there was attraction and sadness, admiration and regret. A confirmation and an almost unbearable contradiction. For day to meet night, there was pull and push – like two lodestones, trying to find the correct alignment. As his now silvery-amethyst eyes met Lazslo’s, he thought he detected that pull. He thought too that he need only wait to experience the push back. It came quickly enough.

Those violet eyes dipped down and away, and the grey lips mumbled. Arrow, still watching Lazslo, wondered what he saw when he looked at his own reflections, both as he was now, and when he wore the visible patronage of Syna. Did he despise himself for being what he once had been? Was it in fact easier for Arrow, whose human physique gave him no clue to what life he had lead? He felt a deep pang of empathy for his brother. He heard the slight edge to Lazslo’s voice when he spoke, saw the sag of the tall, frail body as his own words sank in.

Arrow remained silent for a moment, trying to compose a message of comfort, to fashion a gift of hope. He sipped thoughtfully on his ale, but found no inspiration there. Almost forgotten, Trouble poked her head over the bar counter.

“My birthday is in Spring. I’ll be two then.” She was looking at the second version of the barkeep, taking in his new features and physique. “Are you kelvic too? You don’t look like one. You look like Arrow. Well, looked like.” Her head tilted slightly as she scrutinized him. “Just as beautiful. But now you are only handsome. I like your hair, and your eyes.” Her gaze dropped to the long, slender hands gripping the mug. “Why do you have claws?”

Arrow cast her a look that clearly said to hush. “I’m sorry. She’s very curious. I doubt that she’s ever seen a Symenestra before. They are a . . . striking looking race.”
Arrow

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Laszlo on November 26th, 2011, 7:50 pm

As the girl appeared, the hard concern in Laszlo's features softened, warming into gentle appreciation. She was a kelvic then. That made more sense as to why her parents weren't nearby and why Arrow kept her around. The false Symenestra regarded the young girl with a new light, knowing she could transform into an animal at her leisure. She looked harmless now, but she could have well been a bear or a large cat, or something else completely out of the ordinary.

"It's all right," Laszlo smiled, creasing his pale face into something more inviting. Pulling a hand away from his mug, he inspected the long, rigid black nails that swept from the ends of his fingers. They reflected the lanternlight in cold, white streaks, somehow making them look even more sinister. "The Symenestra grow them out for climbing. I have them because… well, I've always had them. I suppose I could file them down, but I've never wanted to." He flicked his sparkling eyes back downward to the girl, quirking the corner of his mouth. "I'm glad you don't think I'm scary."

The expression faded quickly as he brought his deep violet eyes back to Arrow's. When he spoke again, his voice was more solemn, almost pleading. "I hope she never does see a Symenestra. They're very partial to kelvics. Their obedience makes them easier to manage."

Laszlo took a long draught from his mug, drinking in the ale's flavor with more fervor, despite the warm pain that it brought to his tongue and thought. He parted with a breath as the mug lowered, needed a moment for his throat to recover. "I spent about a year in Kalinor. I became very familiar with the Symenestra race there, and traced some of my distant ancestry, where his body came from. I met… an old woman, the one I was married to in a previous life. She…" His voice failed him, and he surrendered with a bitter smile. "I suppose that would never happen to you."

Four hundred years. What could a man experience in Mizahar in that amount of time? He must have seen everything, had lovers, lost friends, feared death… It was unfathomable that Laszlo could ever live that long, separated from Syna. Arrow must have looked at the false Symnestra and seen an infant version of himself, still coming to terms with his existence. So what followed the sorrow, for him? Did he humanize himself, accept his fate as mortal? Did he still offer his faith to Leth, or had he gone astray? There were so many questions, but more so, seeing Arrow made his heart break. Laszlo had at first hoped that, eventually, Syna would correct the error and pull him back where he belonged. But if Leth hadn't done so for Arrow…

Laszlo squeezed the walls of his mug, his black claws digging their tips into the wood. "Where did you come from? Before Alvadas, I mean. You must have been everywhere, by now."
Laszlo
Team Imass!

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Arrow on November 27th, 2011, 12:08 pm

Trouble gazed at Lazslo’s claw like nails with the frank curiosity of a child, then turned her rather solemn brown eyes to his. “Cat has claws. She tried to eat me when I was little. I don’t think that was very nice of her. But I suppose she was just being a cat. In a way, you can’t really blame her for being what she is.”

She looked at him speculatively for a moment. “You’re not scary. Hawks are scary. I’d like to see you climb someday.” One small finger reached out to gently touch a shining black nail, stroking it in an exploratory manner, a quick motion, and then she was turned and skipping away towards the door. “I’m going to check on Nan,” she called over her shoulder to Arrow, who watched her with his own speculative look.

His gaze returned to Lazslo, as the Symenestra made his grim observation about his own race, and hers. “Yes, that, unfortunately, is very true.” Arrow said with a slight sigh. “There are many perils in this world for one such as her. It’s always a bit heartbreaking when you have to teach them about the dangers that await them.”

Arrow took a sip of his ale as Lazslo related what must have been a bizarre and uncomfortable reintroduction to a former life. What a sad race the people of Kalinor were. The Valterrian had spared no-one, it seemed. So many and so much destroyed. Those who survived changed in so many profound ways. A proud and gifted people forced to become murderous parasites, stealing women and girls to keep their dwindling numbers from failing altogether. As Arrow’s thoughtful eyes rested on the pallid man before him, he wondered how much worse it must have been for Lazslo – to fall from Syna’s beatific presence to this noisome existence, and on top of that to find oneself living half that unwanted new life in a form that many considered a monster. And still in the very infancy of trying to adjust to this unwelcome and undeserved exile. What torment he must be enduring.

He had been leaning back against the bar this while, but he pushed himself forward and walked around to the customer side, directly across from Lazslo, and sat on the bar stool he had previously occupied. Leaning forward, his eyes went for a moment to those unnaturally long fingers tipped with sharp claws, that were now digging into the mug that was being gripped in a strangle hold. Arrow’s hand came up to rest on the bar top next to Lazslo’s. His violet-silver eyes shifted to look into the pale, distraught face. “No,” he said evenly. “Whatever life I had when last I wore that other form, I’ve never encountered anyone who recognized it. I have no clues to my past, and I gave up worrying about it long, long ago.” Arrow paused, wondering if his words could offer any consolation to this fallen child, or bring only more despair. In the end, he knew, each of them had to choose for themselves, how they would endure. His words would never change that. They could only inform, and perhaps present options. He could offer comfort, but only Lazslo could accept it.

“I met another of our kind, Lazslo. A very wise sister, several decades after I fell. For many years I had done nothing but grieve for my loss. I only saw my existence in terms of myself. She helped me to begin again. A painful acknowledgement – very painful, indeed. But I chose not to waste my time, this new existence, in sorrow. I chose to do the best I could to make some use of myself, and wait patiently to see what, if anything, Leth had in mind for me. It is a horrible task, to be asked to forget. To be asked to accept. To go on, without knowing. The pain does not go away. It never goes away. But its edges dull, and some nights . . . some nights, I can look up at him and smile and believe that, even if my fall had no purpose, I still serve him best by giving it some purpose.” Arrow’s voice was steady. Whatever emotions ripping about inside him at the contemplation of his own loneliness were held closely in check, an ability he had honed with four centuries of practice. His fingers lifted from the bar to lightly tap the back of that slender, pallid, tense hand in a gesture of reassurance. “It never gets perfect, but it gets better.”

His wistful expression lingered for a moment, but then he smiled again. Withdrawing his hand, he leaned back, took up his mug and had a sip. “Believe me, things have improved in the past four hundred years, all over Mizahar. And you are correct. I’ve been to most places I could get to with some measure of safety. It’s amazing really, what people can do. The whole world brought crashing down around their ears by irate gods, and the few survivors having to rebuild it all. Amazing!” His voice held a genuine note of awe, as he contemplated the changes he had seen wrought since the world was torn apart. “There is a basic, primal urge to survive, Lazslo,” he said, before taking another sip of beer. “We all have it.”

Putting his cup back down, tipping it back and forth as he peered into it, he gave a bit of a chuckle and grinned. “I came here from Nyka, about . . . oh, six years ago or so. For no better reason than I was following someone who had caught my eye, as it were. Before that, I was in, let’s see . . . Sunberth – that was quite an experience. I didn’t stay there too long.” He laughed. “I was in Zeltiva quite a while, and before that Syliras. The list goes on.” He took a last swig of his drink, and plonked the mug down, looking at Lazslo. “I’m sure you get the picture. What brought you here, to Alvadas?”
Arrow

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Laszlo on December 3rd, 2011, 10:54 am

Nyka, Sunberth, Zeltiva… Laszlo recognized that one. His recent friend had hailed from there. Not too far off from Syliras, from what he knew. Arrow had been around, had seen four hundred years of Mizahar's history. Of course, Laszlo had lived through these times in one life or another, but his memories were all mottled, vague, and distant. What he could recall pertained only to himself, and then he couldn't even be sure he was remembering it correctly. The beautiful man before him, locks of rust framing his narrow, pointed jaw like an autumn cascade, was a compendium of knowledge. He seemed more fit to be living in a library, reciting some of the world's darkest and brightest moments, rather than standing in this dimly light tavern that smelled dully of must and ale.

"Uh…" Hesitating to give a real answer, Laszlo's mug paused at his lip, held carefully between his delicate hands. Looking as though he finished his thought, he tilted the mug up and poured a generous drink into his throat. "Nothing spectacular. I had to get out of Kalinor. The sun doesn't shine there, and I didn't find what I was looking for. The place was stifling me. I needed air. Alvadas had an alluring reputation and I found an opportunity to travel here."

We all have it, he'd said, a basic, primal urge to survive. Laszlo knew that urge, having looked into the face of death—once even (almost) literally—several times in his short life already. He knew that Mizahar was shaped by the passions of men, no matter how fleeting those feelings were. The gods enjoyed the world and their followers, but mortals greatly outnumbered the divine. Their power and influence couldn't be stopped, not for long. Often Laszlo had questioned the futility of life, if nothing was lasting and everything faded. What existed in mortals alongside the urge to survive, or perhaps even synonymous to it, was a deathly desire to cling to something that might promise to last. Mortals wanted eternity only because they didn't have it. People like the Ethaefal, however…

"I think that's a good way of putting it," Laszlo remarked, somewhat offhandedly, taking a slow sip of amber and holding in his mouth for a pensive moment. It was warm as blood by the time he swallowed. "It never gets perfect, but it gets better. I think that's what I’m starting to realize, Arrow. I only fear that getting 'used to it' will harm me in the long run. That it will degrade what Syna made me into. Mortals cope with their comforting delusions, but perhaps that's enough." Leaning forward, Laszlo placed his mug on the counter. One boot lifted off the floor and rested back on the tip of its toe while Laszlo rested his weight onto his arms, anchored on the smooth bartop. The coolness of the wood bled through his skin and chilled him, but he was too comfortable to move.

They're different, he realized, the children of Leth and the children of Syna. He hadn't yet met another Synaborn Ethaefal to compare himself too, but he could perceive certain similarities between Arrow and Siofra. The both of them seemed to carry the same brand of almost serpentine grace, which Laszlo quite certainly lacked in the day. They were calmer, quiet, and well-practiced, the way someone moved more slowly and easily underwater. The most noticeable difference of course was their resolve. Arrow seemed perfectly at peace with the world around him, while Siofra… wasn't.

"I can't even fathom a decade. I would hope I wouldn't have to wait so long to meet a person like that," Laszlo mused, mostly to himself in sideways consideration. It had nothing to do with his true question. After some moments staring off at one of the far tables, the amethyst in Laszlo's eyes braved the silvered lavender in Arrow's, one thin eyebrow halfway cocked. "Your words are just a bit rhetorical to me, but I know you must believe in them. You followed someone to Alvadas, then?" Immediately, Laszlo thought of Siofra. It couldn't have been her, of course, as Arrow had seemed unaware of her. What other creature could catch the eye of an Ethaefal, though? "Did you find her, then?"

Violet consideration went to the young girl whose head barely rose above the bar. In another year, likely, she'd be grown. In another few decades, she'd be dead. Arrow must have known that. Perhaps, after four hundred years, loss would not bother him so deeply as it once had.
Last edited by Laszlo on December 6th, 2011, 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Laszlo
Team Imass!

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Arrow on December 4th, 2011, 2:44 am

Arrow listened, nodded, and accepted Lazslo’s explanation of what had brought him to the city of illusion on its face value. It sounded reasonable enough, and he could imagine the still darker undertones to the Ethaefal’s decision to leave the city of the Symenestra. Yes, it would undoubtedly be hard for a worshipper of Syna to live underground, despite the form he would take for roughly half of each day. But beyond that, he could see the growing despair of one whose own life had been bought at such a high, high price – to himself – being surrounded by the culture which had created and perpetuated the use of surrogates, involving the gruesome sacrifice of unwilling women and girls in order to bring forth a new generation. Sometimes, it seemed, the price of life was just too high. Arrow wondered what exactly Lazslo was looking for, but refrained from asking, for now.

But at Lazslo’s doubtful expression of concern over how . . . letting go might possibly diminish him, somehow, Arrow did voice a small protest. “Lazslo,” he said, shaking his head ever so slightly, “learning to live again, learning to be happy, or at least content, that can never be a bad thing. It’s what will heal you, not harm you.” He gave a small chuckle. “We might all do well perhaps to remember, when we bemoan the fact that we are now here, not there any longer, that we are, in fact, here, in the world again, one of its inhabitants like any other, regardless of what we had the great good fortune to experience with our god or goddess. A little humility sometimes goes a long way in helping us to see things for what they are. Not perfect, but not so very bad, as long as you keep the right perspective.” His long fingers moved and the very tips came to rest lightly on Lazslo’s where he had pressed them to the bar counter. “It’s all in how you choose to look at it, Lazslo. Believe that, for it’s so very true.”

He sat back then and turned his head as Trouble came back through the front door. He watched her come towards them, as Lazslo spoke again, and when he turned back to Lazslo their eyes met and Arrow smiled at his question. “He is one of us, one such as yourself, I should more correctly say. A child of Syna.” The smile that played about Arrow’s mouth as he contemplatively ran the edge of his thumb across his lower lip spoke of those types of memories that bring both intense and lasting pleasure and bittersweet pain, hand in hand, impossibly entertwined. “And yes, we have parted ways, though not quite of our own volition.” He stirred and returned his gaze to the Symenstra.

“I learned long, long ago that to take a partner from any of those races which live but a breath of our time was the height of foolishness. As you surely have realized by now, it has the capacity to bring mind altering pain and soul destroying emptiness. Who needs that, right?” His tiny smile now was quite a sad one. Lazslo’s eyes had slipped away to regard Trouble, and Arrow could easily guess what his thoughts were. In a voice barely more than whisper, he repeated himself. “Who needs that . . . indeed.”

Trouble, who had been occupied by the emerging stars above her head, finally noticed that both men were watching her. She frowned slightly. “What?”

Arrow smiled more warmly at her and shook his head to indicate that she had done nothing wrong. To Lazslo, he said in an almost different voice, so brisk was it, “So . . . I should come back to meet your partner. Can you suggest a good time?”

He rose and pushed a stray lock of hair behind his ear, straightening his jacket, as if he was preparing to leave.
Arrow

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Laszlo on December 6th, 2011, 7:46 pm

As you surely have realized by now, it has the capacity to bring mind altering pain and soul destroying emptiness.

Laszlo hadn't realized that. Not yet. He'd barely been alive longer than most humans; his soul was yet young and unlearned. Arrow's experiences appeared to have jaded him, but some inner workings kept digesting it, turning memories into wisdom as one spins straw into gold. He found a reason to live on, reconciling pain almost as easily as pleasure. What did it feel like, to be alive so long? Humans and other mortals were usually so desperate to accomplish something, to make use of their limited time, to leave a legacy in a continually moving world before they met their death. That drive was what defined Mizahar, what created history, what spurred wars and love and even the Valterrian (which began as a war about love).

To continue through it while everyone died around you must have felt like… cold existence. Like a rock, or a tree, observing the world around it as it continued on, unending like time itself. Arrow didn't live a life like other men, he remained through it all. He continued. There was no death to fear, no decades to dread.

Laszlo realized, as he slowly broke out of his thoughts, that he'd worked the sharp nail of his thumb into the side of his mug. Uttering a soft, glottal breath of surprise, Laszlo pulled at it but it was stuck fast. Amused and perhaps slightly embarrassed, he set his mug down and let his hand rest upon the counter. Instead of trying to pull it out, Laszlo paused for a moment to mull over what Arrow had told him. A child of Syna in Alvadas—was he still here? It would be rude to ask, considering Arrow's apparent demeanor toward mentioning him.

A shadow passed by the clouded window, and a moment later the door to the tavern pressed open, yielding another customer. Someone who'd been here before, because the moving ceiling received only a passing glance and close-lipped smile.

The false Symenestra began to wriggle his nail loose from the wooden mug.

"Tomorrow," Laszlo intoned, turning back to Arrow with a faded expression. He reminded the Synaborn of Siofra, but he shouldn't have. They were nothing alike. "Victor will be here. Visit before the fourteenth bell and you'll find him. He's usually gone before the sun sets." Pulling his hand free from the mug, leaned over to extend the sharp, slender thing to Arrow. Some part of Laszlo wanted to touch the Lethborn creature, to be sure it was real, to feel whether he was as soft as Sofra had been. Those lavender eyes were so perfectly shaped, and his long hair was… he shook the distraction from his head. "It's been an honor meeting you, Arrow, and thanks for the ale. Feel free to come back any time, for whatever reason. I'm here, most nights."

It would be a shame if Arrow became only a business partner.
Laszlo
Team Imass!

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Arrow on December 11th, 2011, 12:20 am

Arrow had noted the intensity of Lazslo’s reaction to their conversation with his claw digging into his cup. But he said nothing of that. Lazslo was new, and still unsettled. Only time could change that – if it would be changed at all.

He readily accepted the now changed hand and went so far as to place his other hand around it as well, shaking it gently. “Very good then. I’ll be back tomorrow and look him up.”

At the other Ethaefal’s touching sentiments, Arrow smiled. “It’s wonderful to meet you, too, Lazslo. We Ethaefal are few and far between, and that, I suppose, is a good thing. And I will take you up on your offer, for I believe we have much to offer one another.” He left off the handshake and pointed to his horns. “We have to stick together you know,” he said with a grin.

“Come on, you,” he called to Trouble, putting a casual arm about her shoulders as she came to his side. “Good evening, Lazslo. Take care of yourself.”

The girl smiled too. “Good bye, Lazslo. I like your ceiling and your eyes. I hope you liked our beer.” With that the two turned and made their way to the door.
Arrow

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Bedlam on January 18th, 2012, 7:18 am

Thread Completed!

Arrow

Experience:
2 Storytelling
2 Negotiation

Lores:
A Ceiling of Stars
An Immortal Melancholy

Laszlo

Experience:
2 Bartending
2 Negotiation

Lores:
The Trouble with Trouble
Ageless Arrow

Notes: A real pleasant thread! I gave you both negotiation points for the business you took care of in the beginning, and Laslzo a bit of bartending for doing bartending things, but aside from that there’s not really much to give you! Don’t take this badly however; the thread was fascinating and so are both your characters. I’m glad to have you in Alvadas Laszlo, and I hope Arrow returns some day and brews some good stock for our lovely Sun and Stars.
Bedlam
Player

Words: 79119
Joined roleplay: June 26th, 2011, 9:33 pm
Race: Staff account
Office

Previous