You're -WHO'S- Sister?

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

You're -WHO'S- Sister?

Postby Jaeden Kincade on March 24th, 2010, 9:06 am

8th Day of Spring, 510 AV
Jaeden stood within a small archery range within the confines of Syliras city. He had just bought a new target, wishing to test it out. He figured such would be better for practice than a thick log that would likely shatter his arrows half the time. Jaeden stood close to fifty yards away from the target, drawing an arrow from his quiver as he drew the string back. His breathing slowed, his usual ritual of using his bow, as his eyes narrowed, bringing the target into focus. A slow exhale was released then as he soon loosened the grips his finger held over the bow's string, sending it flying towards the target as he sunk into the far edge of the target.

Five arrows shot, all of them hitting the target. Not with any significant accuracy, but they weren't at least missing them entirely, which showed Jaeden continued to improve. He slowly drew another arrow, once again drawing the string back as took his time aiming. Another arrow let loose as it flew to the target once again. This time, the arrow stuck into the target about five inches closer towards the center. Jaeden suddenly gave a manly arm pump as he silently cheered over his own improvement. Such a feeling was quickly diminished, however, as he felt the quick breeze of something zip past him. The air and the hint of something soft nicked his ear as a quick sound of air being cut through echoed for a split second.

He blinked, and by the time he opened his eyes he noticed an arrow that wasn't his own sticking out of the center of his target. He quickly spun around, his eyes looking towards a tall man standing another twenty-five yards away, slowly lowering his own bow, an amused smile on his face. He wore a heavy chain armor and had a tunic that was decked in colors of black and red, bearing the emblem of an oak tree along the center of his chest. His hair was a blonde in color, his eyes deep blue and his features handsome. His build was as large, if not larger than Jaeden's own as he slowly began stepping forward, a sheathed longsword dangling at his hip. "Good afternoon," he said with a casual tone, a smile still on his face. "I couldn't help but notice you practicing, and wondered if you could use the company? My name is Winter."
Winter :
Last edited by Jaeden Kincade on March 29th, 2010, 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

"If I were to stop and take in the gravity of any serious situation I'm in, I'd likely fall to my knees from being overwhelmed by it. Things become much easier to deal with if you simply make jokes."
Jaeden Kincade
Disco Jae

Words: 824662
Joined roleplay: January 29th, 2010, 2:10 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 7
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Author (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1) Advocate (1)
Power Fork (1)

Re: You're -WHO'S- Sister?

Postby Jaeden Kincade on March 25th, 2010, 3:11 am

Jaeden slowly lowered his bow as Winter approached him, that same smile on his face as he held out a hand of greeting when he was within reach of Jaeden after introducing himself. Jaeden looked down at the hand for a moment, still somewhat stunned after Winter had shot an arrow, who's feathers had not only grazed his ear, but hit the center of the target after. From seventy-five yards away no less. Jaeden gave a slow shake of the head, clearing the cobwebs from his mind as his own hand reached out to meet a grip as strong as his own in a firm handshake. "Jaeden Kincade," Jaeden replied in introduction, "and as long as you don't nick my ear with anymore arrows, I see no problem in that."

Winter chuckled slightly, giving a quick nod in replied as both of their hands fell back into neutral positions. "A little tip," Winter then said, stepping beside Jaeden as he drew an arrow of his own. "Extend your index finger of your hand that grips the bow. It will act as a guide, giving your arrow a little distance longer before dropping. Also, keep that arm locked. I noticed you have a tendancy to move it once you've loosed the arrow, even a slight amount of movement of your bow hand can set your arrow off course."

Winter then loosed another arrow, demonstrating such as his arrow once again sunk into the middle of the practice target, a mere inch away from his first. Jaeden slowly raised his hand, scratching at his head for a moment. "Huh, didn't even realize I was doing such," Jaeden claimed before drawing an arrow of his own and notching it into his bow. "I didn't know Syliras Knights trained those outside their ranks."

Jaeden then extended his index finger as the tip slid gently along the lower part of the arrow's shaft just below the tip. Pausing his breathing as he aimed, he loosed the arrow, this time making sure to keep his bow arm still until the arrow had fully left the bow. The arrow flew quickly, and then sunk into the target within the second ring out from the center. Closer still.

Winter gave a slow shake of his head. "I'm not on duty right now, and if I were training you, it would be slightly less friendly," Winter informed as he looked at Jaeden. "Still, you look like you might be accustomed to hard training. Have you considered enlisting?"

Jaeden chuckled, shaking his head. "Me? No, I don't really consider myself Knight material to be honest," Jaeden said as he observed Winter loose another arrow into the center of the target, despite Jaeden's talking as a distraction. "I tend to roam a little too much."

"A drifter then," Winter said drawing another arrow as Jaeden did the same. "We get many of them in the city, but they usually don't tend to be as talkative. They tend to keep their business to themselves over all."

Jaeden just shrugged after loosing another arrow after Winter, noting that his arrow was a little closer still to the center. It seemed the conversation was distracting him from thinking about hitting the center too much. Or so it seemed. "I don't really have any business to hide," Jaeden responded as he drew another arrow and continued to fire at the target alongside Winter. "I hunt wild game, I sell out the spoils, relax, then repeat the process. Nothing special really."

"And are you content with being nothing special?" Winter then inquired firing two arrows in one shot this time as they hit both hit the target near the center.

"Okay, now you're just showing off," Jaeden said, referring to Winter's shot. He then pondered on his question before giving a slow nod. "I'm a simple man in the end, a simple life suits me well. So yes, I suppose you could say that I'm content with being nothing special."

"And yet you hinder slavers when you cross their path?" Winter then said as he smirked, letting another arrow loose.

Jaeden's shot was then thrown off, as it went wide, piercing through the edge of the practice target as he looked to Winter. "Who told you that?" Jaeden said, raising brow.

"Later," Winter then said, as he loosed another arrow. "For now, let's just go through the remainder of our quivers."

Jaeden gave Winter a sidelong glance of suspicion before a slow nod was given and he reached to his quiver. There were seven arrows left in his, he could wait for the answer until then.

The rest of the time passed in silence, save for the sound of arrows cutting through the air before they echoed that dull sound of hitting a hay filled target. Winter finished with his quiver first, slowly stepping off to the side as Jaeden loosed three more in almost quick succession, throwing off his steady improvement as all of them hit wide spots of the target. "Alright then, who told you..." Jaeden said slowly turning before he was greeted with a wooden practice sword being tossed to him.

He raised his hand quickly to catch it as Winter slowly moved around the center, taking a stance with a practice sword of his own, having laid his bow off to the side. "What's this?" Jaeden then question, looking down at the practice sword.

"I imagine if you continue to pester the slavers, you might want to improve your skills at the sword. My sister also told me of some of the scars that linger along your skin from previous encounters," Winter answered as he motioned towards Jaeden's stomach in particular.

Jaeden slowly laid his bow against the wall along the side. "So it's a sister then?" Jaeden said, a little wary now as he took a defensive stance. Which woman within Syliras did he know, that had a Knight for a brother.

"Yes," Winter said as a smile crossed his lips and he stepped forward, swinging his sword at Jaeden. "Don't tell me you've forgotten her already. You spent the whole night with her at the Soothing Waters."

Jaeden raised his sword, blocking it with the flat of his own wooden blade as his arms actually buckled slightly under the strength of the strike. His eyes went wide, as the realization hit him suddenly. "You're Summer's brother?" Jaeden suddenly said, a little surprise in his voice.

"If I were to stop and take in the gravity of any serious situation I'm in, I'd likely fall to my knees from being overwhelmed by it. Things become much easier to deal with if you simply make jokes."
Jaeden Kincade
Disco Jae

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Power Fork (1)

Postby Jaeden Kincade on March 27th, 2010, 9:47 pm

Wooden swords clashed against one another as tiny particles of wood floated into the air with each strike. Jaeden slowly back away, a nervous smile upon his face as the sudden realization that the woman he had spent a full day with getting to know intimately, was the brother of the man he now sparred with. A smirk appeared on Winter's face, finding his hesitation amusing. "I have no disillusions as to what my sister does at the Soothing Waters," Winter said reassuring Jaeden. "So long as one of her clients doesn't get out of hand, I have no problem with it. You obviously didn't considering how she described you. I found her retelling of your stories had piqued my own interest, so I decided to seek you out."

"And?" Jaeden then asked as he began swinging his wooden sword down towards Winter.

Winter quickly rose his own sword, knocking Jaeden's upward as Jaeden's hand rose to the air almost losing his grip on the weapon from the force of the blow. It surprised him enough that he didn't catch Winter's movements as he grabbed Jaeden by his his wrist, keeping his sword elevated, and his mid section totally unguarded as Winter suddenly struck Jaeden's stomach with his blade, knocking the wind out of him momentarily as Jaeden stumbled back. "I think you're a contradiction to yourself in a small way," Winter suddenly answered. "You claim to have no want, to lead a life that is not special, yet you do things that others would consider noble and heroic."

Jaeden let a slow cough out before looking up to Winter. "Nice move," he wheezed out before standing up strait. "I never actively seek out slavers, I just hinder when I come across them, and I mainly do it because of a past encounter with them. It's purely a simple disdain I have for them in general, nothing noble or heroic about it."

Winter simply chuckled at that. "Perhaps, but that's not how many others will see it, especially the slavers," Winter replied. "They may soon put out a bounty on your head."

"Well, I cross that bridge when I come to it," Jaeden retorted as he held the wooden sword out in front of him, "and hopefully burn the bridge down before the slavers can cross over it after me."

"Well then, may as well cross it a little more prepared, let me show you something beyond the neutral guard you put up with your sword now," Winter said as he slowly stepped beside Jaeden. "There are other stances to the sword than just holding it out directly in front of you."

Winter then rose his sword up further until the hilt was level with his shoulder and the wooden blade was was high in the air. "The high guard," Winter explained before the sword was brought down quickly and with force. "It's best for sudden offense and knocking thrusting spear and sword tips to the ground, leaving your opponent open for attacks to the chest, arms, throat and head."

Jaeden slowly rose his brows in interest, giving a slow scratch to the white strip of hair along his head. "I could have used that knowledge a year ago," Jaeden said as he recalled his battle with the spear wielding slaver back then.

Winter then slowly circled around facing Jaeden once again as he held his sword out in front of him in a neutral guard. "Let's practice it," Winter said with a slow smile crossing his lips.

Jaeden gave a slow nod as he rose his sword into the air a little, trying to mimic the stance Winter had just showed him. "Alright then," Jaeden said as he stood at the ready.

Winter quickly thrust his wooden blade towards Jaeden's chest as Jaeden suddenly brought his own down in reaction. A loud "clack" echoed out through the area as Winter's wooden sword was forced downward by the parry movement Jaeden had made. Jaeden then began bringing his sword up towards Winter's chest in a slashing attack before it was suddenly blocked by the flat of Winter's own blade. Winter then quickly moved in as the edge of the blade's guard was brought up to Jaeden's throat, pressing into the skin slightly. "Also remember, the blade isn't the only part of a sword," Winter advised as he slowly backed up. "Again."

The next bell slowly passed by as Winter repeatedly thrust his wooden sword at Jaeden while Jaeden would parry it to the ground and attempt a counter attack before Winter could recover his own guard. Each time Jaeden failed, Winter would leave a stinging reminder of how Jaeden failed with a counterstrike of his own. Eventually, though, Jaeden finally parried one of Winter's thrusts to the ground, and rose his sword up fast enough in a counter that Winter couldn't block as Jaeden's wooden blade slapped into Winter's right shoulder, causing him to wince slightly. Winter rested his hand along the struck shoulder, gripping it slightly as he rolled it around. A smile was then given to Jaeden as he gave a slow nod. "Good," Winter said in congratulations.

Jaeden huffed out long breaths as several welts lined his own body and a slow smile crossed his face. "Thank you," Jaeden said still holding his sword in the high guard.

"Let's move on to the low guard then, shall we," Winter said with a chuckle as Jaeden's jubilation was soon wiped away over the thought of having a breather.

Jaeden Kincade
Disco Jae

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Power Fork (1)

Postby Jaeden Kincade on March 28th, 2010, 4:29 am

Winter once again stood beside Jaeden. This time, however, he brought his sword lower until the hilt was level with his waist and the tip of the sword was raised a few inches from the ground. “The low guard,” Winter then said, holding the sword firmly before bringing it in an upward swing. “The low guard, like the high guard, is good for sudden attacks and opening counter attacks. Though it is not effective against spears and pole arms. With it, you can bring your sword up and deflect an incoming strike from a weapon upwards. This will expose their chest, abdomen and legs for a counter attack.”

Jaeden slowly pointed a finger at Winter as he performed his example. “Hey, that’s what you first hit me with,” Jaeden said as both of his brows raised in realization of such.

“Indeed it was,” Winter said as he slowly began stepping in front of Jaeden once again. “The low guard also opens avenues of grappling your opponent and keeping them off balance. Shall we begin?”

Jaeden slowly lowered his sword into the low guard position, giving a slow nod to Winter. He then quickly reared back his head as Winter did a sidelong slash towards Jaeden’s face. It wasn’t the thrusting attack that Jaeden was expecting. “Whoa, that was close,” Jaeden simply said, scratching at the tip of his nose.

“I’d say,” Winter simply said with a smirk. “You didn’t even try to defend with the low guard that time.”

“I didn’t expect a slash,” Jaeden responded slowly getting into the stance again for low guard.

“Don’t think that the enemy will always just try and stab you with a weapon,” Winter then responded as he slashed at Jaeden again.

This time, Jaeden quickly raised his sword to meet Winter’s. His timing was off, however, as the two wooden blades simply clashed against one another, barely forcing Winter’s sword into the air. Winter made him pay for it as he brought his sword down again quickly, smacking Jaeden along his forearm. Jaeden suddenly dropped his wooden sword as he flicked his wrist around slightly to cool the sting. Jaeden shot a quick glare at Winter as he rubbed the new welt that was now forming. “You sure you aren’t angry with me about your sister?” Jaeden said, slowly reaching down to pick his sword back up.

Winter just chuckled as he slowly tapped his own wooden blade along his shoulder. He waited for Jaeden to pick up his sword again before they continued. Movements were less predictable, and Jaeden found it harder to fully utilize what he had learned. On a couple of occasions, he even tried grabbing Winter’s wrist to further create an opening for a counter attack. Each time he tried, Winter was either able to wriggle his wrist free or somehow throw Jaeden off balance himself. Finally, after two full chimes of the bell had passed, Jaeden managed to time his swing perfectly with Winters. The strike was hard and solid as Winter’s sword was not only forced up into the air, but out of his hands. Jaeden quickly followed up as he leaned forward slightly and took a step forward. His own sword was brought down in a diagonal slash that skimmed across Winter’s chest. A split second later, Winter’s sword rattled along the stone ground behind him. Jaeden slowly looked up to Winter, making sure his strike didn’t at least make the Knight angry.

“Very good,” Winter said with a hint of enjoyment in his voice. “Your strike was true and swift as the wind.”

“I suppose it was only a matter of time before I got lucky,” Jaeden said, taking in a few deep breaths.

“Yes, I am getting a little tired,” Winter replied with a smirk.

“You’re getting tired?” Jaeden suddenly questioned, finding it hard to believe considering Winter only took two hits thus far. Compared to the several that Jaeden had taken, it almost seemed impossible that Winter would be fatigued from their practice.

Winter just laughed as he stepped over and picked up his sword. “Well then, shall we review all three now and see how well you can switch between them?” Winter suggested, suddenly taking the high guard stance.

“Oh great,” Jaeden simply muttered, taking a stance of his own.

Jaeden Kincade
Disco Jae

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Power Fork (1)

Postby Jaeden Kincade on March 29th, 2010, 6:08 am

Subtle grunts and yells echoed out from the range as wooden swords clashed against one another. Curious glances were given by those who passed by and a small crowd slowly began to gather and observe as Jaeden and Winter sparred, each of them swinging their own practice sword quickly. Jaeden found himself on the defense for the majority of it, parrying blow after blow that Winter delivered. Each time he implemented the guard that Winter had just taught him, Winter would have a counter for it. Furthermore, every time Jaeden managed an offensive move, Winter would counter than and strike Jaeden back, often successfully.

Jaeden was quickly realizing just how out of his league he was when dueling a swordsman like Winter. He could barely keep up with Winter when on the defensive, and every time he tried to go on the offensive, he would make Jaeden pay for it. It was almost as though Winter was able to read Jaeden’s own movements, and think three or more moves ahead. Of course, it didn’t surprise Jaeden in the least. Considering the experience difference between the two of them, it was likely that Winter had seen the novice movements a hundred times over in other duels.

Jaeden quickly swatted a thrust upward as Winter came in for a thrust. Moving forward, Jaeden then attempted to strike his sword along Winter’s abdomen. Winter, however, quickly brought his sword back down, almost as if he had been starting in the high guard. The tip of Jaeden’s wooden sword soon hit the ground, bringing Jaeden to a sudden halt as the hilt was nearly driven from his hand. He then quickly found a sting rising in the mid of his back after Winter struck him again with the wooden blade. “Not enough force on that low guard counter,” Winter said as he stepped back, raising his guard once again.

“So I noticed.” Jaeden said as a light wince still remained on his face.

“Did you want to end it here?” Winter then asked as he looked at Jaeden with a sidelong glance. “You look like you’re getting a lot of welts there.”

“Shyke no.” Jaeden said as he took his guard again. “Besides, I’ll just go visit your sister again and get these welts healed.”

“Okay, that was hitting below the belt.” Winter said as a frown crossed his face.

“Heh.” Jaeden said as he stormed in, his head ducking a little as he held his sword back.

Winter then quickly brought his sword down in a sudden offensive strike from the high guard, hoping to catch Jaeden along the top of his head as he came in low. Jaeden responded by bringing his own sword up from the high guard. Whether it was the wood itself, the force of their strikes, or the simple fact that they had received so much abuse through out the course of their duel, it didn’t matter. What did matter, was that when Winter and Jaeden’s wooden swords met, they shattered at the point of impact, sending large chunks and several splinters flying in all directions. The crowd that had gathered to watch suddenly burst into applause and cheers as if it were some sort of show as Winter looked back, noticing them for the first time. Jaeden simply straitened his stand, looking over the sword in surprise.

Both Jaeden and Winter then looked to each other. Jaeden, covered in welts, breathing heavily and sweat pouring down his brow. Winter, on the other hand, had no visible marks, breathed only at a slightly at a higher pace and hadn’t even began to perspire. Jaeden slowly tossed the sword to the side as he dragged his hand across his brow. “Okay then, we’ll call it a draw.” Jaeden said with a smirk crossing his lips.

“Ha!” Winter replied, tossing his own shattered practice sword to the side as well. “Perhaps fortune will find us meeting again. Fighting together on the field.”

“Well, I’ll certainly find it a relief to fight with you, rather than against you.” Jaeden replied offering winter a hand.

“Indeed,” Winter replied as he grasped Jaeden’s hand in a firm handshake. “As I said before, my sister finds you interesting. I would hate to have to tell her that I had to slay you.”

A sort of nervous laughter then escaped Jaeden’s lips as his hand raised to scratch that white streak of hair along the back of his head. Winter then just gave a slow nod as he stepped over towards the wall and picked up the bow he had set there earlier. A calm and casual walk, much the same he had entered with, was taken as he made his exit, giving a warm nod to the people he passed. The smirk just remained on Jaeden’s face as his hands fell to his waist once again. He wondered just how long it would take before he reached Winter’s level in skill.

Jaeden Kincade
Disco Jae

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Power Fork (1)

You're -WHO'S- Sister?

Postby Dusk on April 7th, 2010, 9:51 pm

XP Award!

Jaeden Kincade

XP Award
Composite Longbow: 1 XP
Longsword: 2 XP

PLEASE NOTE: Finals are over, but summer is eating my soul. As such, as of the end of June I will not be accepting any new quests/modded threads until I finish some of the ones I've already started/agreed to. My apologies for this, but I don't want to be unfair to those who have been waiting for replies!

Dusk's Office - Information on Syliras - Help Desk
Dusk
DS: Syliras and Wildlands

Words: 341560
Joined roleplay: April 6th, 2010, 5:33 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Featured Contributor (1) Trailblazer (1)
Donor (1) Power Fork (2)
Trash Medal (1) Thunderspork (1)