Discussion| Herbal Collection

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Feel free to post all your Mizahar related discussions here.

Postby Talhar on April 11th, 2010, 5:41 pm

Alot of people are talking about wanting to create a list with all the herbs found on Mizahar and Gossamer suggested creating a discussion thread soooo... here it is.

Helping hands are always welcome, so are input and advice.

To start things off:

- How to categorize the herbs ( Region, Alphabetical, Rarity, Type, ... )
- What kind of lay-out should be used
- What sort of names to be used for herbs for a specific region ( For instance, named with ss or ssh in the Dhani region, ... )
Talhar
Player

Words: 50746
Joined roleplay: April 11th, 2010, 1:29 am
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet

Postby Alistair deGrey on April 11th, 2010, 6:00 pm

Excellent. So here's my advice.

Categorization

First by region, then alphabetically.

Lay out

A similar organization to the Dogs article. However, the following modifications should be made:

1) "Price per X" as opposed to just "Price"

2) Purpose would be what the herb is used in. So this would not be the effects the herb has, this would be a short list of common philters, foods, or poisons.

3) Special Abilities should be split into two sub-categories, "Raw Effects" and "Processed Effects".

Names

Call me crazy, but I think that most plants should have two or more names. Explorers rarely ask the locals about the terminology they use for plants. Instead, they will find a region, document the plants, and then attribute names to them either in the field or back at a university or similar location. So what would happen would be more like, a local name, and then a name used in other regions.

Depending on the plant, it may have two or even three names used in various regions around the world.

Plants within the reach of Zeltiva and Sahova should perhaps have a scientific nomenclature to reflect the academic nature of the places. This would give many plants on Sylira, Cyphrus, and Taldera said nomenclature. Whether the actual formatting of the nomenclature should reflect the real world format or not, I don't know.

Another Question

Should this "Plant" list also include fungi and algae? If so we should get another name.
Alistair deGrey
Wulgaru given Breath

Words: 209442
Joined roleplay: December 25th, 2009, 9:48 am
Blog: View Blog (2)
Race: Human
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Lore Author (1) Trailblazer (1)

Postby Talhar on April 11th, 2010, 6:17 pm

As Ali pointed out, along with various other good points, it's more organized to include fungi & algae in the list.

We can just name the list " Flora List " instead of " Herbal List ".
Talhar
Player

Character sheet

Postby Gossamer on April 11th, 2010, 8:30 pm

Honestly, Cayenne and I had a discussion about birds. Rather than a huge bird list, just for example, we decided to do a 'Raptors of Mizahar', 'Parrots of Mizahar', 'Songbirds of Mizahar', 'Waterfowl of Mizahar', etc etc etc... so for these herbs... I'd keep HERBS HERBS and keep algae, fungus, etc in another list somewhere else.

Also, I'd ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS put them in alphabetical order. You can make lists below that divide by region if you'd like. Some advice:

1. Make images all the same SIZE.
  2. For cost, set up a range inexpensive (few coppers) to extremely expensive (100's of Mizas) and just add that to the value with a chart somewhere else for expense. So you don't have to think up a cost for each plant, just a range running from Inexpensive, Average, Expensive, Extremely Expensive.
  3. Costs should vary according to whether plant is purchased in its Location or outside its location.

Here's a suggested format.

Arrowleaf Balsamroot

Brief Description: This wooly leafed plant has large outter leaves that are shaped like arrowheads in a mint green shade on the top and a pale white shade beneath. It has, when blooming yellow flowers with yellow centers. that are 10-20 mm by 4-9 mm wide.
Distribution: Throughout woodland Taldera and into Syliras along the Suvan Sea. Found in scattered pockets in Cyphrus near wetlands and in Riparians
Medicinal Purpose: Flowers and Stems edible raw or cooked as greens, roots provide an edible starch and are often boiled, flowers can be seeped in tea to suppress coughing.
Habitat: Lowland to mid-elevations in mountains
Frequency: Common in its own habitat, rare outside
Value: Inexpensive
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6356204
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Alistair deGrey on April 11th, 2010, 11:46 pm

I really love the format that Goss pointed out. However, I would suggest we eliminate "Medicinal Purpose" to "Effects", because this is not supposed to be tailored toward herbalism. Plants and Fungi can be used for poison, cooking, philtering, and a myriad of other purposes. It'd just be broader.

Anyway, I really want everybody that can to help out with this project, so here is a wiki template modeled after Jen's above that will make it easier for you guys to put stuff in. I'm a bad teacher

==Herbs of Mizahar==

{| class="ambox" style="margin-left:0px;margin-right:0px;width:100%;"
|-
|[[Wiki picture here]] || <u><big>'''Name'''</big></u><br />
'''Brief Description:''' (Description Here, without parentheses)<br />
'''Distribution:''' (Description Here, without parentheses)<br />
'''Medicinal Purposes:''' (Description Here, without parentheses) <br />
'''Habitat:''' (Description Here, without parentheses) <br />
'''Frequency:''' (Description Here, without parentheses) <br />
'''Value:''' (Description Here, without parentheses)<br />
|-

|}

A few notes.
1) Be sure to keep both sets of brackets around the wiki picture. It should be like [[ & ]]

2) the second |} should be placed at the end of the article.

3) Make sure the |- is placed between each entry.

I hope thats right.

EDIT: format amended.
Last edited by Alistair deGrey on April 12th, 2010, 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alistair deGrey
Wulgaru given Breath

Words: 209442
Joined roleplay: December 25th, 2009, 9:48 am
Blog: View Blog (2)
Race: Human
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Lore Author (1) Trailblazer (1)

Postby Dusk on April 12th, 2010, 12:14 am

Hey guys! Love all the suggestions, here's mine: That under "Effects" we break it into three sub-categories: Leaves, Flowers, and Root. I'm not suggesting that every plant have a use for each, but some can definitely be doubled up. AND that has the added bonus of allowing us to fulfill our wishes for a lot of different herbs and uses without us having to do two hundred entries per region.

I also think there needs to be a clear list of Keywords under the Purpose/Effects (I feel like that's just kinda clumsy either way... maybe Usage?). For instance: Medicine, Poison, Philtering, Cooking, Inks and Dyes, Drugs. You guys may think of more, but I think it needs to be consistent for every entry.

Also, when you start making poisons, keep in mind that not all of them are meant to kill. :) Sometimes you just want to really, really hurt someone. With pretty flowers.

And finally: pictures! Use whatever you like. :)
PLEASE NOTE: Finals are over, but summer is eating my soul. As such, as of the end of June I will not be accepting any new quests/modded threads until I finish some of the ones I've already started/agreed to. My apologies for this, but I don't want to be unfair to those who have been waiting for replies!

Dusk's Office - Information on Syliras - Help Desk
Dusk
DS: Syliras and Wildlands

Words: 341560
Joined roleplay: April 6th, 2010, 5:33 pm
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 7
Featured Contributor (1) Trailblazer (1)
Donor (1) Power Fork (2)
Trash Medal (1) Thunderspork (1)

Postby Gossamer on April 12th, 2010, 12:31 am

Herbalism - the use of Herbs for medicinal purposes. You need an herb list for that which lists its uses or effects as Selena has suggested.

I'm going to be firm about separate lists for fungus and algae... even for trees, shrugs, berries, etc. Otherwise it gets too huge too quickly.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6356204
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)

Postby Dusk on April 12th, 2010, 2:00 am

Here's a list of herbs I would like to see included:

Everything for Spices and Seasonings

For the medicinal plants, I'd pretty much like to see everything on this page. It's a great resources, and has all the information you really need. :)

Let me know if you want me to help with anything!
PLEASE NOTE: Finals are over, but summer is eating my soul. As such, as of the end of June I will not be accepting any new quests/modded threads until I finish some of the ones I've already started/agreed to. My apologies for this, but I don't want to be unfair to those who have been waiting for replies!

Dusk's Office - Information on Syliras - Help Desk
Dusk
DS: Syliras and Wildlands

Words: 341560
Joined roleplay: April 6th, 2010, 5:33 pm
Office
Scrapbook
Featured Contributor (1) Trailblazer (1)
Donor (1) Power Fork (2)
Trash Medal (1) Thunderspork (1)

Postby Jilitse on April 12th, 2010, 3:21 am

Hmm, maybe I could help sporadically, as I am planning to use my little knowledge in botany to help create flora for Mizahar(I'm doing a citrus tree, and will also work on a lemon tree, so DIBS on that, if nobody has started it yet). I am quite familiar with medicinal plants, so once the basics of what-must-be-contained is finalized, I'll go check some of the Spices and Seasonings.

I'd also like to suggest maybe we could also separate prices for different parts. Say, a raw form (leaves, root, dried) will fetch a lower price than a processed form (fermented, powdered).
I. Vox Populi, Vox Dei
II. The Night the Watchtowers Cried

I am nothing special, of this I am sure. I am a common woman with common thoughts and I've led a common life. There are no monuments dedicated to me and my name will soon be forgotten, but I've loved another with all my heart and soul, and to me, this has always been enough.
Jilitse
I just arrived (again). Please be kind.

Words: 520837
Joined roleplay: March 5th, 2010, 8:22 am
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Artist (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
GP's Angels (1)

Postby Talhar on April 12th, 2010, 9:30 am

Sooo... so far we have:

- Prices according to rarity type +- & Imported or not
- Organized Aphabetically
- A nice lay-out/format
- Different lists for fungi,algae, herbs, ...
- Images all the same size
- Effects divided by raw/processed

I think I included everything ?

If I'm missing something, let me know and I'll add it to this list here.

And thanks to everyone who is helping with ideas and input. Greatly appreciated :)
Talhar
Player

Character sheet