Another One (Aello)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A city floating in the center of a lake, Ravok is a place of dark beauty, romance and culture. Behind it all though is the presence of Rhysol, God of Evil and Betrayal. The city is controlled by The Black Sun, a religious organization devoted to Rhysol. [Lore]

Another One (Aello)

Postby Crismento Miren on October 14th, 2011, 2:30 pm

For a moment Cris wondered if he could have been the cause of Aello’s headache. In his experienced he had never had such effect on people when using his art, but today magic seemed to have its own voice. What mattered to the swindler more, however, was that despite the fact that the pain would have cost the girl good mood, it should have also made her less concentrated on him and whatever aims he had. All he had to do was walk the thin line between annoying her and exploiting the weakness. Or at least he thought so. ”Well, if you are sure of this then I will not object,” Crismento finally spoke when the girl appeared to have overcome the worst of the aches. ”Though I should say that I happen to be aware of so-…”

The con artist didn’t get to end his sentence that would have been just the first thread in the new web of deceit. Instead his eyes could only catch a brief glimpse of a little gleam of light reflected from a metal blade. Cris reacted quick pulling his hands away from a table in a hasty retreat, but he wasn’t fast enough to avoid it completely. The edge of the dagger caught two of his left hand fingers as the brushed against it, cutting open small a wound on each of them. The swindler slid back with the chair away from the table, instinctively throwing his injured hand even further back. He could not hide the shock and surprise in his face and remained frozen in that position for a couple of breaths as he watched Aello trying to figure out what had just happened.

Cris heard her words clearly but could not believe that they were spoken. He had already been aware that she was capable of seeing through some of his lies and masks somehow, but he didn’t know she could see him completely. Her no doubt magical eyes and senses left him no shadow to hide in and he felt naked, exposed and vulnerable. Disarmed… He needed to think quick to get out of this situation and running seemed as good of an option at self-defence as hanging himself in this case. Alleys were just as safe as the tavern and this deranged murderer probably didn’t carry her bow around for nothing. He would have to talk himself out of this, like he always had, even if her ability to know everything about him presented a great challenge. And yet her question confused him.

Crismento did his best at composing himself and hiding away feelings of anxiety. From his experience in similar situations in Sunberth he knew that showing fear would not lead anywhere he wanted to end up. Then again the threats usually were some brutes that got suspicious about the rumours and information he was trying to sell them. Nevertheless he wiped away every emotion from his faces except the genuine surprise and forced his lips into a smile of slight amusement. ”You think they are sent like this, mind reader?” he kept his tone quite as the attention they were receiving already was greater than he would have preferred, but his words were coming out in quick succession. ”When they sent someone for me, I only had a luxury of briefly noticing them far away before being drugged and taken away.”

He clutched his wounded hand briefly glancing at the bleeding cuts. Carefully he reached out for a napkin while watching Aello for any signs of additional aggression and after retrieving the cloth he wrapped his injured fingers in it. Figuring that he was already on the deep end of risk pool already, Cris decided to take another gamble. He leaned closer to the girl knowing full well that next time it might be his throat and not the table that gets the blade buried in it. His heart raced as if he was a fourteen year old boy sprinting to his first date with the prettiest girl in town, while the muscles in his legs tensed and were prepared for a sudden jump should Aello attack him. ”I’m not sure if you can tell or know, but I wasn’t treated as a friend of the city either,” his voice turned into whisper since the risks of being overheard were higher while they were still regarded as tonight’s performance by the clients of the tavern. The swindler didn’t know how exactly the girl’s ability to discern truth, facts and lies worked so he tried to be careful with his wording. ”I am not the enemy, Aello. You should know that I am hardly a threat to you, but those who are… They are nearby. Always nearby. And if we continue this scene we will get someone sent for us.”

OOCI wonder whether the fact that Cris doesn't know who Aello is talking about helps or harms his case.

Also, I'm not sure if you can tell, but his knowledge of magic is rather narrow :)
Crismento Miren
Not Laconic

Words: 114694
Joined roleplay: March 10th, 2011, 9:15 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet

Another One (Aello)

Postby Aello on October 18th, 2011, 3:33 am

Aello smiled as she felt the blade slide against Crismento's skin. The sight of his blood filled her and the dagger with longing. She wanted to spill more. "They?" she asked, as she raised a single brow, and tried to drive her dagger more deeply into the table. It would not budge. "Do you mean to say that they sent more of you? That you are not the only fool who has come after me this day?" she inquired, as she took a step closer to him, around the side of the table, and then another. "Or do you mean to say, that you have lost their graces, and are thus, supposedly on my side?" she went on, not sure she was liking that idea any more than the other.

Aello fell silent, as she swallowed the clump of saliva that had gathered in her throat. She was listening; waiting for the hypnotist to try and convince her to let him live. Waiting for him to try and buy back his life. To delay his date with Dira.

"No one is a friend of this city," Aello whispered, as her eyes glimmered menacingly. She inched her face closer and closer to Crismento's, "not even the ones who serve him. For they too, may be stricken down, and cast from his side, his grace, at any moment." Aello leaned a little closer. "Just like any other man or woman in this city can be stripped of their life, and cast into the lake along with all the other corpses at any time. It is not so uncommon Cris, for such a thing to happen. Surely, you don't honestly believe that anyone in this bar would so much as bat an eyelash if I finished you off? Ended your miserable life filled with lies and deceit?"

Aello inched even closer, and finally, lifted her dagger out of the table. A single droplet of fresh blood fell from its tip and onto the dark wood. Her lips curled into a sinister smile, as she pulled the dagger back, holding it close to her side. Although, this position seemed no safer to Cris than any other. "Tell me hypnotist, why should I spare your life? Why should I let you live?" she asked. "Convince me... and perhaps you will be forced to remember, forever, that I let you live..."

Only the girl, and perhaps her goddess, knew then, that her words were a lie. Cris would die by her hand, and he would die this day, if Aello had anything to say about it; no matter what he had to say.
Last edited by Aello on October 25th, 2011, 1:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
Aello
Looking For Answers

Words: 1550591
Joined roleplay: January 8th, 2011, 4:52 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Thread (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) 2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
2011 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Another One (Aello)

Postby Crismento Miren on October 24th, 2011, 12:02 pm

Aello’s decision to regard Cris as part of the Rhysol’s club would have been annoying to him if it wasn’t so dangerous and terrifying. Surely it must have worked the other way in Ravok. ”You’re being confused by your own paranoia,” he uttered. ”There is no “them” coming after you, for if there was, you would have already been captured or executed and not treated to dinner. Do I even resemble one the ‘stryfe in the slightest?” Slowly blood soaked the white napkin wrapped around the slightly trembling fingers. His eyes followed the girl as she approached just waiting to find the signs of another attack, but all they could see was a predator in deliberate and almost playful preparation.

As Aello moved closer, Crismento gradually reclined in his seat and his hands, one clutching the other, rose up to his chest. Although betrayed by his body, his face remained nearly peaceful if not for an occasional barely noticeable twitch in his slightly parted lips. ”You are convinced I am one of those who are not to be touched and yet confident enough to carry on with that,” he whispered back at the girl looking straight in her eyes. The words poured out fast though still spoken very clearly. ”Would be most admirable under any other circumstances, yet when the determination is mistaken and misguided I cannot help myself but plead for your reconsideration. It is true that your blade would not be stopped, for there is no one to protect me here as there was nobody to protect me on our short trip. I trusted you and that trust you just now betrayed.”

Cris should have known that one did not negotiate with madmen. He should have known that one did not object to words of psychopaths. And yet the challenge that came with the words “tell me” was too tempting to turn down in favour of reason. However, perhaps most of all the superiority and domination in her tone and words were too insulting to ignore. Exhausted by internal pressure, Crismento’s mind just gave up at the sight of external threat quickly approaching. ”Hypnotist… You spit out that word as if it was the foulest of swears, the filthiest of life routes,” his tone rose above whisper but remained quiet. The swindler gently stood up towering over the girl but hardly as intimidating. ”As if your own path was lighter and more righteous, mind reader. Spying people’s thoughts and feelings, and dispensing justice as you deem fit must be very easy. As easy of a choice as lies and deception, I suppose, but only when they are a choice. Do you think I chose this?” the con artist asked leaning closer to Aello and putting two of his right hand fingers to his temple. ”I was made like this,” his hushed voice was losing coldness as he carried on, the fingers pushing harder against the side of his head. ”Carelessly crafted into something I don’t recognize. Family, friends, love, caring and compassion – concepts and understanding ripped away from my soul and replaced with a dark void that is being filled with unwanted desire and torturing compulsion. I did not descend into toxic misery but opted to live a life dealing with the gifts and curses that were forced upon me.”He clutched the slightly pestering wounds again but the eyes that were beginning to burn still remained on Aello. ”Look into my soul with your bloody arcane eyes, mind reader, and tell me if you see a lie.”

What came out of his mouth surprised the swindler himself. It was not well thought through or carefully crafted to achieve the desired results, not cold and calculated to enable result prediction. Expecting the worst the hypnotist returned his mind as close to complete concentration as possible in case swift actions were needed.
Crismento Miren
Not Laconic

Character sheet

Another One (Aello)

Postby Aello on October 25th, 2011, 1:43 am

Aello wiggled her blade, pushing the silver back and forth so it flashed in the dim light that illuminated the tavern. Finally, she extracted the tip of her blade from the wood, and returned the dagger to her side. "No, you idiot. I do not believe you to be in league with Rhysol's minions," Aello hissed, her voice little more than a whisper. "For if that was the case, you would have been left to your own devices... I am not foolish enough to strike them. Especially, somewhere out in the open, where everyone can see." The girl paused for a moment, and swallowed the clump of saliva that had gathered in her throat.

"You my dear, are a member of another organization... a band of blue-eyed hypnotists that capture women and eventually kill them. Sell them for parts... whatever you wish really," Aello continued, her voice ice cold. "Whatever seems to suit your fancy at the time." The girl paused, allowing her eyes to rake over the sight of his bloodied body as it trembled like a leaf. It seemed to satisfy her, in a strange sort of way. She tilted her head slightly to the side, before glancing back at the crowd. Everyone was staring at them.

Aello turned back towards Cris. "Perhaps you'd like me to give you the same treatment you gave Cassandra? But a little slower... draw out the pain. Mmm... lets start by breaking your fingers. Severing them, freeing them from your hand, before we chop those off by the wrist." She inched even closer to him, not at all afraid of how he was towering over her, not paying much attention to his words. She was certain he was one of them. That there might be more, and she would have to finish this quickly, if she wished to escape without injury. With her life in tact.

"That sound agreeable to you?" Aello asked. "Or do you want to go somewhere quiet to finish this? Surely you're a screamer, and wouldn't like all these eyes and ears trained on you."
Aello
Looking For Answers

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Another One (Aello)

Postby Crismento Miren on November 11th, 2011, 10:59 am

For the briefest moment Cris felt relieved that the girl didn’t think he belonged to her despised Rhysol’s gang, but the alternative comrades that she proposed to him greatly perplexed the swindler. As the eyes that weren’t able to contain the surprise grew wider, his muscles relaxed a little as he suspected it to be a joke. Surely it must have been one. A band of blue-eyed hypnotists? A rival group of the brown-haired mind readers’ cult? But the girl didn’t appear to be joking or hid greater acting talents than Crismento. Aello was speaking absurdity and the con artist realised that his early judgement of character must have been correct. He should’ve abandoned this raving lunatic the first chance he had rather than trying squeeze some gain out of a chance encounter.

The crimes she was accusing him off quickly turned into a very detailed threat that seemed to be the girl’s specialty and in this tense situation felt like a very real possibility. Sweat chilled the back of his neck as his head nervously twitched to the side. ”You are mistaken, mind reader,” the quite tone sounded weaker than before now that the fire of anger was smothered with fear and anxiety for the moment. ”For the first time today since we have met in that alley. I do not hold a place among such company and neither did the one who cursed me. All I seem to share with them are the art and the eyes.”

Cris slowly stepped back as Aello moved closer to him trying to keep the distance great enough to see the dagger coming for his life in time. Her eyes spoke the same to him as her words and he was beginning to feel helpless. If he failed to convince her, distraction would be his only weapon left and he still had terrible recollections of the last time he had to resort to that. ”I am not the one who harmed your friend and have no allies that would have done that,” he was gambling again, trying to guess the story from what Aello had told him. ”I have not met Cassandra but would she truly want you to torture people you meet and rob them of their life in her name?” His blue gaze showed glimpses of desperation but the voice grew more determined. ”You have seen truth in me many times today, mind reader. Please, look into me now. Don’t you see that I do not belong with those that you seek vengeance against?”
Crismento Miren
Not Laconic

Character sheet

Another One (Aello)

Postby Aello on November 12th, 2011, 1:32 am

"Cassandra isn't a friend," Aello growled. "Surely your lot has figured that out by now? That she has become a thorn in each of our sides..." the girl paused, lifting a single brow as she called upon her magic once more. Waiting for it to whisper to her. Confirm everything she was thinking.

"Now, as for your friends, can you really know everything they've been up to?" Aello asked. "Whatever it is they are doing at any given time, all the time?" Her lips curled into a cruel smile as her eyes sparkled. "Perhaps you yourself have yet to meet her, but they... perhaps she and your friends have come to know each other. To loathe each other." Aello paused. "If she has, indeed met them, which is both entirely possible and highly likely, then she would want your kind dead, just as much as your kind would want her out of the way. Since she will go to great lengths to see that she has her way, she wouldn't hesitate to use me again, as a means to obtain her desired outcome." Aello paused. "And in turn, since we are now bound as a sort of unwilling team, your kind wants me dead... so she will have to find someone else to do her bidding."

Aello fell silent for a long time after that, as her mind came to register something, confusion, which in turn, wound up doing nothing short of completely throwing Aello off guard. He has no idea what you are talking about. He is the first of his sort, not aligned with them...

The girl's brow furrowed, as she absently picked her belongings up, and put them in their proper place. "Get out, now!" Aello growled, her voice suddenly cold, as she forced her mind to think a little faster. She began to gesture towards the door. "Get your things if you must, and then walk out that door... walk left, and into the first alley you come to when you're through," Aello instructed, as she moved closer to Cris, aiming to put him between her and the way out.

OOCOh this is messed up...
Aello
Looking For Answers

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Another One (Aello)

Postby Crismento Miren on December 17th, 2011, 9:50 am

Out of habit Cris tried not to show his true emotions while the girl continued rambling about “her” and “them”, but there was nothing he could have masked his genuine reaction with, so he just looked at her with a blank expression of a man who has given up on his face. The swindler glanced over her shoulder at the doors of the tavern but reaching them without getting his throat slit seemed unlikely…

Aello’s command quickly brought him back from his contemplations. As the lunatic was coming closer to him, it seemed that there was no time to think whether he had managed to persuade her or just tightened the loop around his neck. Cris followed her with his eyes full of distrust while slowly nodding his head and then made his way out of the tavern. As he was passing the tables occupied by curious spectators of the spontaneous drama, a brief thought crossed his mind wondering whether he would ever get a chance to leave the Silver Sliver without his life being at stake.

The gentle evening’s breeze cooled his heated face but did nothing to calm him down. Crismento turned left feeling awkwardly self-conscious about the way his feet were falling on the ground. Surely it was far too late to make a good first impression, to put on an act that would appeal to the mark. And after all, how does one fool a mind reader? Cris had no experience with anyone of the kind and all he had heard of them were rumours of drunken sailors or passing mentions by someone who clearly did not know any better than the con man himself.

He turned left again, entering a dark alley and stopped. His situation was fairly desperate as he could only hope for mercy by someone who did not appear to have much capacity for that. Cris was running low on cards he could still play and he was pretty certain there were no aces left in the deck. ”We are each walking our own paths, Aello, and ours should have never crossed,” he spoke quietly trying to keep his voice from wavering. ”You are holding a grudge, but not against me, so do not let your anger make me pay for the crimes that are not mine.” He turned his head to catch the glimpse of the girl. Nicholas Raes may have accepted that he might die tonight, but Crismento wanted to see the blade coming and if possible make eye contact with the maniac in case he had to resort to one final trick. ”Please let our paths part again, Aello. I thank you for safely guiding me through Ravok but don’t let this be my final trip.”
Crismento Miren
Not Laconic

Character sheet

Another One (Aello)

Postby Aello on December 17th, 2011, 7:09 pm

Aello's lips curled into a devilish grin, as Cris turned to face her. Her eyes sparkled. "Silly hypnotist. Don't you know why you were asked out here?" she questioned, as she tilted her head slightly to the side, and forced her cursed dagger back into its proper place. Her long brown hair cascaded over the length of her shoulders, as her dark brown irises settled on Cris' deep blue. She waited several seconds, willing him to answer, before continuing onwards. "You are the first to prove that you aren't one of them. The only one of your kind it seems." Aello paused. "For that, you shall be allowed to live. Forgive me for frightening you then, stranger, and thanks for the meal. For whatever it's worth."

With that, Aello gestured with her hand down the alley. "Go that way. Run. Don't look back. It's probably best we're not seen together, at least for a time after all." Aello sighed. "My apologies, for the mistake. For letting anger cloud reason. Know, that should you ever find yourself in real trouble, you may seek me out as a friend. I will help you. I owe you a favor. But only, a single one." Aello paused, "understand?"

Aello would wait another few seconds for a reply, before turning abruptly on her heels, and darting off in the opposite direction. Weaving through the city streets into the shadows, where she may be lost for a time.
Aello
Looking For Answers

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Another One (Aello)

Postby Crismento Miren on December 19th, 2011, 1:20 pm

Crismento’s blue eyes jumped from her twisted grin to her dagger being sheathed away and then to her eyes, trying to find confirmation in them that he was any closer to being safe. ”I dare not guess,” he responded in an unsure quiet voice. His heart was still beating hard, seemingly trying to make the most of the remaining time.

Relief came cautiously, trying not to stumble over and drop down the guard. But the girl sounded genuine and Cris relaxed a little. ”I could not blame you,” he nodded slowly. ”My kind is full of terrible monsters. Do not think of me if you ever encounter another one, but act as you must. They are no allies or friends of mine.” The hypnotist didn’t mind if Aello killed off the rest of the cursed as long as he wasn’t on her list and silently applauded her passion. The less of them remained, the less likely he was to meet one.

As he watched Aello disappear into the dark, the con artist finally managed to fully calm down. At least as much as it was possible after the experience. He turned around and began walking the other way, from time to time glancing over his shoulder. He would not return to Tarsin’s right away. Just in case…
Crismento Miren
Not Laconic

Character sheet

Another One (Aello)

Postby Verilian on February 29th, 2012, 3:10 pm

Crismento Miren

• +3 Rhetoric
  • +2 Observation
  • +3 Hypnotism
  • +3 Acting
  • +1 Interrogation
  • +1 Persuasion

Lores: Picking the Wrong Tour Guide, Basic Layout of Ravok, Magic is a Slippery Thing, Giving in to the Whispers, Encountering a Mind Reader, A Favor Gained

Aello

• +1 Running
  • +1 Acrobatics
  • +3 Auristics
  • +3 Intimidation
  • +2 Interrogation
  • +2 Observation

Lores: Being a Tour Guide, Confusing Auras in Dark Alleys, Fighting the Spell of a Hypnotist, Meeting the first "Innocent" Hypnotist, Owing a Favor

You Question My Logic? :
Any questions, PM me.

Notes: I've waited far to long to start grading threads again.. Sorry for taking so long on this one. Sometimes I forget how enjoyable it can be, and how many ideas I can gain from grading a thread. *evil laugh*
Forecast for tonight... Dark
-----
Wind Reach---Wind Reach Lore---WR Request Thread
Verilian
Retired Staff

Words: 1113582
Joined roleplay: December 23rd, 2010, 9:53 pm
Race: Staff account
Storyteller secrets
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Featured Contributor (1) Trailblazer (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Previous