Whispers in the Dark (Aello)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A city floating in the center of a lake, Ravok is a place of dark beauty, romance and culture. Behind it all though is the presence of Rhysol, God of Evil and Betrayal. The city is controlled by The Black Sun, a religious organization devoted to Rhysol. [Lore]

Postby Verilian on February 10th, 2012, 5:22 pm

Kill him.. you must kill him... make him like us.. KILL VULPIN!

The voices were growing stronger as Aello moved from room to room, and it seemed she was beginning to find her way around. She didn't find anything on the bottom floor other than regular dust, and when there were no rooms left she had no choice but to head up stairs.

Dust was everywhere, and stairs creaked under her weight. Vulpin was a ghost, and would not have noticed their disrepair, nor would his presence disturb the dust without great effort on his part. There were just as many rooms upstairs as there were down, but it didn't take Aello long to clear them all. When finally she entered the last room, a study of some sort, she spotted something that might just be what she was looking for. It was a bookshelf, filled with books. That by itself wouldn't have been such an oddity, it was a study afterall, but it was the names of the books that struck her as odd.

"Jessica Thorton"
"Adam Valdinox"
"Marie Leopold"
"Wesly Lark"

There were many more, perhaps a dozen books in all, all with the names of an idividual person on them. Some of the names, the surnames to be precise, Aello might have recognized, though none of the individuals were any she had ever met in her life. And they weren't famous names either, or at least Aello had never heard of any of them. So why would someone have a collection of books named after random unimportant people?

Assuming Aello did decide to open one of the books she would find it hollow, and filled with dust. Twelve books in all, each filled with dust. And not just any dust, Aello could tell. The dust called to her, begged her to punish Vulpin, begged her to release it from the horrible condition it was in. But what would happen when Aello restored the spirits? Would they thank her, and return to the cycle? Would they punish her for not taking care of Vulpin first? Or perhaps they would even take care of him themselves. Aello had no way of knowing, but she had found the source of the voices. The next move was hers to make.
Forecast for tonight... Dark
-----
Wind Reach---Wind Reach Lore---WR Request Thread
Verilian
Retired Staff

Words: 1113582
Joined roleplay: December 23rd, 2010, 9:53 pm
Race: Staff account
Storyteller secrets
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Featured Contributor (1) Trailblazer (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Aello on February 11th, 2012, 3:17 pm

Aello shut the final book, releasing a cloud of dust into the air, as she set it down beside the others. She glanced nervously towards her bowl of mist, resting on a quieter end of the shelf. Now what is to do be done? Aello wondered, as she peered from one end of the room to the other, deep in thought. You can't be left like this. Nor can Vulpin be made to become just what you are. The girl's thoughts paused, as though considering what such a thing suggested. I guess that means you shall all be returned to your previous state; the same state as him. Then, you will all be made to decide your own fate. For those living cannot always be made to do everything for you. If you wish a certain outcome, you should come by it yourselves, by working individually or with one another.

Nodding silently to herself, Aello strode over to the bowl of mist. Better be prepared to fight though, if some of you prove hostile, she thought, as she extracted her dagger from concealment, and dipped it into the bowl, getting the tip wet, before spreading the mist across the metal's entirety. When she was done, she pulled the blade away, and watched the mist fade, before re-sheathing it, and turning to the strange, hollowed out books. She reached for the first, the one entitled Wesly Lark, and drew it close. Slowly, delicately, she opened the book, and stared down at the pile of dust resting in its center, as though it were a proper tomb.

Alright, here goes, Aello thought with a small sigh, as she lowered her right hand into the mist. Dipping her fingers in, allowing them to be doused by the cool gel. When she had covered their lower half, Aello extracted them, watched the mist dripping away into the larger pool, before moving them closer. But just one of you at a time, just in case you can't be controlled, she thought, as her heart began to beat a little faster, and at the last second, when her fingertips were plummeting into the dust, she closed her eyes and looked away.
Aello
Looking For Answers

Words: 1550591
Joined roleplay: January 8th, 2011, 4:52 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Thread (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) 2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
2011 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Verilian on March 9th, 2012, 4:13 pm

The moment Aello's fingers dipped into the dust she could feel the connection. It was almost like being possessed, except it wasn't, but for the briefest instant Aello could see into the ghost's mind just as it could see into hers if it had been possessing her. She saw, twenty-six years of imprisonment. The ghost had been trapped in that book for twenty-six years. She saw the madness such solitude had driven it to, and the desperation it felt when it understood that Aello could save it. She saw the hope that her brother had given the dusted ghosts when he first told them about Aello, and she saw the rage it felt toward Vuplin for imprisoning it there.

The soulmist mixed with the dust and it was akin to giving something the spark of life.. except that it was death. The dust began to swirl as it consumed the mist coating Aello's fingers. She could hear in her mind the cry of ecstasy that came with it's freedom before their link was severed. A cool breeze passed over her as the ghost, invisible to the naked eye, went right through her and into the room. A moment later it materialized, a smile of thanks on it's face before it vanished.

Each ghost she freed was of a similar experience, though some had been trapped longer than others, and all shared the same hatred of Vulpin. When the last ghost had been restored they all appeared, twelve spirits and one living spiritist in a room together. The little girl, the last one Aello revived, stepped forward. She'd been trapped the longest, thirty years, which also explained why she seemed to be the most powerful.

"Thank you, Aello, for saving us. We all owe you a debt of gratitude. Will you help us now to defeat Vulpin, and give him the punishment he deserves?"
-----
Verilian
Retired Staff

Storyteller secrets
Office
Scrapbook

Postby Aello on March 9th, 2012, 8:26 pm

Aello's face scrunched up a little as her eyes narrowed, slightly. She stepped forward, and then, leaned in a little, so she'd be closer to the ghost's height. "But little one, haven't I done that already?" Aello asked. "By releasing each of you from the dust? Drawing you all back from the whistling winds, endlessly flowing alongside lady time?" There was a slight pause as the girl's eyes came open, and she straightened herself out a little. "Are you all not capable of ending this yourselves? Amongst yourselves? Are there not twelve of you to rival one entity?" she asked. "Surely, the lot of you can easily overpower him. You won't be needing any more help from the living, than that which has already been given."

Aello shook her head lightly. "Of course, in releasing you, I suppose Vulpin would consider me an enemy too. Surely... he locked you all away for a reason. You all had qualms with him... still do." The young spiritist shrugged. "But I, other than that which was done this day, if even that, have no reason to harm him, unless he comes at me again, with the desire for revenge lurking within the confines of his heart." There was a slight pause, as Aello tucked a loose strand of hair behind her ear. She shook her head again. "No, this battle does not belong to the living, but to the dead. To all of you. It should be fought amongst yourselves. Finished amongst yourselves. I should no longer play the cards in my hand."

"Offer my hand..."

"Forgive me," Aello whispered.
Aello
Looking For Answers

Words: 1550591
Joined roleplay: January 8th, 2011, 4:52 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Thread (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) 2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
2011 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Verilian on March 26th, 2012, 4:47 pm

"You... you wont help us?"

The ghosts all looked disappointed. Some of them even looked angry. For a moment it seemed as if they might even react aggressively, but it was Leon who appeared to calm the.

"My sister has set you free. You don't need to get revenge on Vulpin. Run, leave this place, and he will never find you again."

The little girl seemed perplexed. Many of the ghosts began to whisper among themselves. Perhaps they would have even listened to him, but they weren't given a chance.

"What is this!?"

Vulpin appeared, passing through the door to the room. His face was furious. All the ghosts turned as one, fear on their faces.

"Who are all these people? I asked you to get rid of the voices, and you fill my house with strangers!?"

Vulpin started to move toward Aello, but the little girl stepped in his path. At first he seemed confused, but then his face contorted in rage once more.

"Get out of my way!"

The ghost raised his hand to slap the girl, but the other ghosts quickly leaped to her defense. What Aello witnessed next was an odd site. A room full of ghosts seemed to dogpile the other one, their bodies swirling about him. Vulpin began to scream as they tore him apart, not destroyed because he was already dead and that was impossible, but his form, his soulmist, had been shredded so severely that he was little more than a silent presence, a shiver down one's spine and nothing more. The ghosts all let out a wail of ecstacy, their triumphant voices singing out in victory.

The apparitions began to rise as one, their bodies all glowing. It was something Aello had seen before, but never in such numbers. The light was blinding as each and every ghost, save for two, passed on to the next phase of the cycle. As one they all vanished and the room went dark once more. Vulpin was nowhere to be seen, but Leon still remained. The spiritist's brother turned to her, a sad expression on his face.

"Thankyou, Aello, for helping them. I'm sorry you had to go through what you did."

Leon vanished, but not before whispering one last, "I love you." He wouldn't stay to answer questions, leaving Aello to figure the answers out for herself, as he had done all of her life since his death. Was he still there? Aello couldn't be certain. Probably, but he wouldn't show himself no matter how hard Aello tried. If he was there, he was watching from afar.

Downstairs, in a hallway that led to the front door, Aello would find her things. There was nothing else of value in the house. It was all to rotted to be of any worth, gone bad from disuse. But Aello had her freedom once more, and that was something, at least. In the years to come she would feel her brother's presence from time to time, but she would not see him. Whatever he was doing, he was biding his time, waiting for the right moment to show himself once more. As for Vulpin, the ravosalamen sometimes whispered rumors of a haunted house where the deranged voice of a madman speaks in whispers, speaking of vengeance, speaking of a woman whose name can never quite be made out. But rumors are just that, right? Rumors.

~End
-----
Verilian
Retired Staff

Storyteller secrets
Office
Scrapbook

Postby Verilian on March 26th, 2012, 4:48 pm

Aello

• +2 Interrogation
  • +2 Observation
  • +2 Investigation
  • +3 Spiritism

You Question My Logic? :
If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to ask.

Lores: Beaten by a Ghost, Reunited with your Brother, How to Reverse Dusting, Reviving a Dusted Ghost

Notes: Sorry this thread took so long and had so many storytellers. I hope it was still fun, at least.

Notice

As per the request of the Founders, threads cannot be graded unless your CS is up to date. This means you need to add threads to your thread list when you make new threads, keep your skills up to date, ledger, living expenses, ect. If you aren't up to date, you'll get a PM from me before i grade your thread.
-----
Verilian
Retired Staff

Storyteller secrets
Office
Scrapbook

Previous