[Flashback] Tolerance (Seven Xu)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The Diamond of Kalea is located on Kalea's extreme west coast and called as such because its completely made of a crystalline substance called Skyglass. Home of the Alvina of the Stars, cultural mecca of knowledge seekers, and rife with Ethaefal, this remote city shimmers with its own unique light.

Postby Lu Gavima on February 1st, 2012, 7:21 am

Lu followed the dour halfbreed as the older man made his way up stairs and across a bridge of skyglass. He admired the inherent grace and dexterity of the other, though that was where the admiration ceased. Especially when the subject of Zintila came up. The two stood on the slight span over one of many chasms. Lu traced his fingers over the warm material that made the rest of the city. Even where they were, the bridge itself illuminated the space between them.

Seven's blasphemy was wearing on the young Acolyte. The apology was accepted wordlessly. The Shinya hopeful focused on his breathing, avoiding the urge to lash out. In the form of meditation, dispelling anger was much easier. He listened to the plea of the astronomer for the study of his art. Lu took a moment, his feet still moving. He walked past Seven and turned on his heel, his own hands folding behind his back. " Do you not understand that without Zintila there is no Astronomy? She is the stars. I understand that to you, my focus and determination may seem like stubborn compliance. You of all people have to realize that I have been serving the city to become Shinya for half of my life, as short as it may be."

He inhaled slowly through his nose and exhaled slowly through his mouth. Keeping the breath moving did not allow anger to take root. " I do take from you that perhaps I should follow more intellectual pursuits. My mother would be very pleased with that. To me, though, there is no time for that until I have been through the Awakening and been seen as worthy by the Star Lady to protect Her. Once I am Shinya, I will have ample time to explore the many wonders of the City. Until then, I must remain focused in my training. Failing the Awakening and becoming a permanent Initiate would be worse than any fate I can imagine."
Lu Gavima
Devoted Shinya

Words: 134685
Joined roleplay: December 2nd, 2011, 5:35 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Seven Xu on February 25th, 2012, 2:14 pm

Seven’s eyes were trained on eight fingers, splayed across a rail that glowed from beneath them. “I think we’ve established that we have different views on certain things,” his voice shrugged off the acolyte’s mounting anger, “We should leave it at that.”

He leaned forward, staring past his hands and into what looked to be a bottomless chasm. Of course, it had a bottom, at the foot of two peaks, and there was little doubt that more than one man had found it when he leaned too far, looked too close. I’m like to fall, someday, Seven thought. Where he would land, after going too far and asking too much of the wrong person, he could only guess.

“Though I find it funny you lecture me on Astronomy, after apparently never hearing of it. I hope you wake up soon, friend.” Seven laughed, turning his crimson gaze on the stranger. It was a jape, a smile said, though he paused to read the boy’s face, expecting it to be taken as an insult. “We should talk about something else.”
Seven Xu
Rhetoric can't raise the dead.

Words: 567538
Joined roleplay: April 30th, 2011, 11:02 pm
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Lu Gavima on March 1st, 2012, 4:32 am

It was clear to Lu that Seven was in pain. Not the kind one received from the strike of a fist or weapon, this pain was much more invasive and damaging. It was an emotional pain that had come from his being an outcast. The Acolyte found forgivehness in his heart for the older man's barbs and tests of his composure. He would pass. The anger was based only on a feeling that he might be less than Seven in some fashion and perhaps he was, but only as a matter of time. Anything Lu was capable of, Seven was and vice versa.

The final lash, questioning the younger's intention of awakening slid right through him, as he allowed it to find no root in his heart. A change of subject seemed like the wisest thing the halfbreed had said the entire evening. "I agree, we should change the subject. What are your aspirations beyond Astronomy, Seven? Or do you intend to dedicate your life to this study. If not, is there something in your life that does hold your full attention?" Lu hoped so. The current theme was getting them nowhere. Perhaps by moving things along to his preferred subjects, they could tolerate each other longer.
Lu Gavima
Devoted Shinya

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Seven Xu on March 3rd, 2012, 8:42 pm

Candid laughter poured over the edge of the bridge and was swallowed by darkness. “Dedicate my life? No. No, I hardly think I’m prepared to dedicate my life to anything right now.” He had only been alive a short time, compared to those that wrapped themselves in swaths of silk and surrounded themselves with scrolls and brass scopes to stare into the heavens with. Stars and Iraltu’s Observatory were not Seven’s life. “I’ll travel, someday!” he managed to blurt, without giving reason or explanation.

The halfblood stooped to squat, and then sit on the skyglass bridge, letting skinny legs dangle from between a sturdy railing. “There’s an entire world beyond these mountains. Somewhere, there are people with six arms that look as if they’re forged from bronze; there are barbarians that rule a sea of grass; there are citadels that pre-date known history and there are gods and goddesses we have never heard of, because even they cannot reach us.” He sighed, stole a glance over his shoulder. “I want to see all of it; I want to know all of it.”
Seven Xu

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Lu Gavima on March 13th, 2012, 3:38 am

Lu was pleased to see that the conversation was becoming more civil and pleasant. Perhaps since Seven was only half Symenestra, he only carried half of the venom in his heart. It seemed it had been purged and replaced with wonder, a much more fitting emotion of an astronomer. His mention of travel piqued Lu's interest, as his only knowledge of the region of Kalea was based on strategy, with the Peaks and the relative distance of Kalinor being at the forefront.

He listened to Seven's descriptions of other places and peoples of Mizahar. It did sound fascinating. If his city of stars was real, why couldn't any of these stories be true? Seven wanted to see the world and it was unfortunate that his life had made Lhavit somewhere to run away from. Nevertheless, the young Acolyte could feel his judgment being passed down and quickly changed his tune so as not to be a complete hypocrite.

"They all sound like amazing places and I wish you well and safe in your journeys. I am glad we could find some common ground. That is the essence of Lhavit, after all. Zintila's stars shine down upon everyone equally. All who follow and protect her know the hidden truth in this. Should the people of Lhavit become bitter and full of ill judgment and intolerance, the very skyglass that we rest on now would blow away like so much sparkling dust. The strength of the skyglass is the strength of the city's people and their tolerance for other races."

Smiling, he sat down and slid his own legs through the railing. Looking ot his companion for the evening, he added, "I can admit that I envy you a bit. It would be nice to see other places. But my die is cast. I have been training to serve the city for half of my life. I will have to settle for these views." His arms swept out to the thousand foot drop, the chasm illuminated by the soft glow of the city of stars.
Lu Gavima
Devoted Shinya

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Seven Xu on March 24th, 2012, 11:10 pm

“Maybe I’ll never leave,” Seven conceded, shoulders rising and falling to dismiss the notion, “I could as well stay here forever and stare at the sky.”

Seven’s back met cool skyglass, and he stretched his arms above his head to cushion a tangle of white. Zintila’s finery could not be debated; the sky was an upturned bowl of diamonds, countless testimonies to the Alvina’s sacrifice. “I can remember when they left,” a head lolled to the side, fixing his crimson gaze on the acolyte at his side, “I wasn’t old, but I remember. I can’t remember what it was like before they went, though.”

He resented them, for that. Lhavit had long since divided its social classes, its beliefs. Seven had often witnessed the brutality of a city whose reputation was lauded by foreigners. What it would have been like, to be an adolescent when their fallen children of the sky-gods had reigned. Better, he imagined. “Ethaefal,” he spat, narrowly missing his own arm. He looked thoughtful for a moment, before his face twisted back into a deep frown. “They forsook us; I hope you don’t sympathize with them.”

Seven sat up. He stared into the tiny puddle of his own venomous spittle, daring to draw his finger through it, immune to the sting and tingle of that bitter Symenestra concoction, and standing. He wiped a hand on his pant leg, and pushed from the effervescent rail. “I’ve bothered you enough.”
Seven Xu

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Lu Gavima on March 28th, 2012, 11:07 am

Lu continued to look out into the abyss and the illuminated contrast above. He listened to the venom, both the worded and wordless. Seven was correct about the Ethaefal, but the Acolyte would not provide more fuel to the healthy blaze burning within his companion. he did not rise when Seven pushed himself away. He only nodded and smiled. A silent prayer went out into those stars, one for Seven and his journey.

"You are no bother, friend. May the light of Zintila guide you wherever you go."

He continued to look on, allowing the halfbreed to leave at his leisure.
Lu Gavima
Devoted Shinya

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Legion on April 28th, 2012, 1:58 am

Thread Award

Lu
Leadership +2, Philopsophy +2, Meditation +1

Seven
Astronomy +2, Philosophy +3
Shinya Focus

Consequence & Commentary
This was an engaging read. The social nature of the thread prevented a large skill award, but I leave you with my reader's appreciation. As ever, please feel free to contact me with any questions or concerns.
Legion

Denval Forum | Denval News | Denval Lore
Lhavit Forum | Lhavit News | Lhavit Lore

I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.
Legion
Boom, backflip.

Words: 114213
Joined roleplay: September 10th, 2011, 6:23 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)

Previous