The First Spring Hunt (Solo)

Solo thread to start hunting job for spring season and to improve skills a little bit more.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The westernmost tip of Kalea, Wind Reach is home to an amazing group of people and their giant eagle mounts. [Lore]

Postby Makia Ezio on March 31st, 2012, 10:10 pm

TimeStamp: Spring, Day 43, 512. 4:45 a.m.

Finally the path is cleared. Makia woke up bright and early to get as much out of her hunting day as possible. As she gathered her bow and her quiver full of arrows she wondered if she would be able to find a willing, or unwilling, drudge to venture out on a hunt so early. She left her bed unmade and called to her raven, Ezio, whom she let out into the faint morning sky, to take care of himself for the day she would be unavailable.

With her cloak on her back, for the air was still a bit chilly, and her pack, filled with a small amount of fruit for snacks, and some linen for bandages in case of injury, slung over her shoulder, she set out to the Sanikas Road. She darted quickly through the stone corridors, eager to make her first kill of the season.

Soon enough she passed by a sleeping Dek that, based on his physical build seemed perfect for the job at hand. She stopped in front of him and knelt down to gently shake him awake. He awoke with a start and half jumped up, springing into action.

"Whoa there," Makia jumped back in surprise.
The man straightened himself and hung his head;
"Sorry ma'am, I didn't mean to." His voice was husky from the chill wind drying his throat.
The drudge was clearly much older than her, in his mid-twenties by looking at him. He was an average heighted Inarta man, with dark red, almost brown, hair, and his eyes a dark mud color. His hair and eye coloring was probably one of the reasons he is a Dek, brown was uncommon in the race. He wore raged, torn clothes, so stained it was impossible to decipher their original color.

"Come, I need your strength to carry game back up to my dwelling. This is an all day job, and you will be sitting around and following me most of the time." Makia explained.
She turned back down the hallway and continued her walk to the gate, expecting the drudge to follow, as they are ordered, by law, to do.

She reached the gate to the city and saw the old gatekeeper, Valtrrrik, or Val, Imsun. She smiled politely at the man and said a small hello. Smoking his pipe he nodded at her presence and, with a wave of his hand, invited her over. The Dek stayed behind, blending into the wall.

"Young lady, what are you doing at the gate so early in the mornin'?" he asked.
"I am going to the forest, a bit down the mountain, to hunt for some game. I am an Avora hunter." Makia replied.
"I wish you luck, nen," using the ancient word for youth, "and next time, why don't you bring me some tea, or honey, and I'll tell you a tale." He smiled, even more wrinkles creased his eyes and head.
"I will remember." She promised the kind old man.
Val slowly got up from his stone chair and shambled toward the gate, which he opened for the avid hunter and her servant to pass through.
Last edited by Makia Ezio on June 15th, 2012, 7:05 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Thanks to Coltyn for the sig and avatar! :D
Makia Ezio
Player

Words: 21533
Joined roleplay: March 30th, 2012, 4:51 am
Race: Human, Inarta
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Makia Ezio on March 31st, 2012, 11:07 pm

Makia beckoned to the drudge and began to walk down the path. It was steep and she slipped a few times, the Dek was polite enough to help the lady up. When she got about 20 minutes down the path she walked carefully over to the side and looked around. There was a stretch of grass then trees erupted from the ground to create a sparse forest. She delicately jumped down, over the side of the path and began to make her way into the forest. Seeing that the thicket got denser the farther in she got in, she kept moving forward, keeping her eyes and ears open for the sign of game. She quietly pulled her bow from over her shoulder and retrieved an arrow from its home, and held the pair limply in her hand, ready to be released into to flesh of her prey. The Dek was not skilled in moving silently and she motioned for him to keep a ways behind her, she didn’t want him scaring away her kill.
When a half a bell passed, Makia began to grow restless. But what choice did she have? She was not going to abandon the hunt after just 30 chimes! Plus, if she left now what would the drudge think of her skills? Who would he tell?
Just as she was beginning to doubt herself she saw a flash of brown dart away in the corner of her eye. She quickly turned and saw a small deer walking towards a hidden range through a batch of trees. She stopped her companion from moving with the wave of her hand. She tightened her arrow in its bow and aimed carefully at the doe. The moving target seemed to sense danger and walked a bit more briskly through the trees, barley aware of its imminent death. Makia breathed carefully and quietly and aimed for the doe’s neck, she let loose on the arrow, and it flew towards its target. But when the arrow left the cord, the cord vibrated a made a noise, just loud enough to startle the deer into action. It sprinted away, just in time and the arrow lodged itself into the trunk of a tree.
“Shoot.” Makia cursed.
She walked over to where the animal once stood and took her arrow out from the wood, when she paused looking at the ground. A small track was imprinted in the damp earth, and she decided to try and follow it. Having no skill in tracking, she lost the trail soon after it begun, and began searching again. Looking down at the ground she tried to see anymore animal tracks that she might have better luck at following. After a few more bells at searching she saw a small plant growing at the base of a hickory tree. It was a green plant with many small leaves grown on each side of a small branch, which connected to a slightly thicker stem. Makia, after a little thought, recognized this plant as the common herb, liquorice. She remembered Val’s request for some tea, and though she wasn’t sure is it could be used for tea, she thought it would be a good try. If it wasn’t used for tea, she could find a healer that might want to buy it.
She carefully pried its roots from the dirt and gently placed it in her pack. In her pack she saw a couple of apples, and realized that is was time for a snack.

“Come over,” She told the drudge, “time to eat.”
He slowly walked towards Makia and when she sat down, she motioned for him to sit also. He sat at the base of a tree a couple of feet away. She took out two red apples from her pack and threw one casually over to the man, which he caught and looked up at Makia in surprise. He then broke his gaze and began to eat the fruit. Makia took out an apple for her as well and relaxed, resting.
Last edited by Makia Ezio on April 1st, 2012, 9:50 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Makia Ezio
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Makia Ezio on March 31st, 2012, 11:07 pm

“What is your name?” She asked her companion.
“Heirv” He replied after a little hesitation.
Makia nodded,
“Makia.” She said to Heirv.
They said nothing else, and sat in silence. When she finished she threw her apple core as far as she could into the brush, knowing it would provide as a small meal for an animal. But when it landed she didn’t only hear the soft movement of ground that the core would make, she also hear a scuttling, like an animal running away.
She jumped up quickly and began moving toward the sound. She motioned for Heirv to gather her stuff and follow. She then readied her bow and arrow and stalked forward. Peering over the dense thicket she surveyed the area. There was a male deer peacefully walking around and eating some grass. It was a small stag, but big enough to feed a person for a good while. Its medium sized horns were a deadly weapon for others who stood in its way.
Slowly and silently she tightened and aimed her bow. Knowing that at her skill she would need at least two arrows to do the job if the first didn’t kill it. Carefully she aimed and let loose just as the buck came to a standstill, finding some good grass in that area apparently. Just as the arrow exited the vicinity of the bow she withdrew and readied another. The arrow pierced the animal’s side and it shrieked a high, bloodcurdling sound. Before it could react any further, Makia let loose the second arrow, it flew into the animals neck and it fell to the ground, bleeding.
She turned to the Dek then and told him to follow as she went to examine her kill. Kneeling down beside it she could still tell that it was alive, and in agony.

“Do you mind breaking its neck?” Makia asked Heirv.
He complied and swiftly bent down and turned the deer’s neck to the side. A small crack was heard and the animal stopped breathing. Makia pulled her arrows out of the kill and took out a piece of linen and her water skin. She poured some water on the cloth and wiped away the blood on the arrow heads, then put them back in their quiver.

“Will you be able to carry this?” She wondered to the drudge.
He shrugged then bent down to hoist the animal over his shoulders. He was strong, very strong and handled the heavy animal with ease.
They began their way back up the mountain and after a while they reached the path and Makia silently enjoyed her success.
As they reached the gate Makia heard the old man whistle.

“Did good today, did you?” He marveled.
“Thank you,” she replied, “I brought you something, and I hope it works.” She pulled out the herb from her bag and as the old man opened the gate she handed it to him.
“Ah, liquorice, yes that can be used for tea. Thank you child.” He took the herb from her hand and waited for the pair to pass through before closing the gate again. He walked back over to his chair and sat, smoking a pipe.
“I am sorry, I have no time for a tale, I have work to do.” Makia said as she gestured toward her prey. “Another time?” She asked.
“Of course, I thank you for the meal.” He said talking about the deer as well.
Makia nodded and walked down the corridor back to her home, the Dek following closely behind. Entering her cave of sorts she gestured to the corner of the room for the Dek to drop the animal. She would skin and gut is soon.

“Thank you for your help.” She said to Heirv.
“Like I had a choice.” He replied, but gave small smile to show her he felt no ill towards her.
Makia reopened her pack and took out the two remaining apples and handed them to the drudge, as a small payment. He then left and Makia busied herself preparing the stag for the kitchen.
Makia Ezio
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Phoenix on April 30th, 2012, 4:22 am

Makia

Experience
Skill XP Earned
Land Navigation 1
Shortbow 2
Hunting 2
Tracking 2
Herbalism 1
Observation 1
Planning 2
Lores

• Finding Value in a Dek
  • Trading with Val for Tales
  • Sharing a meal with a Dek
  • Sucessfull kill: Stag

The Order of the Phoenix

I am sorry this took me so long to grade! Thank you so much for your patience!

If you have any questions or concerns, send me a PM and we can get everything figured out!
Phoenix
The Capacity for Inspiration

Words: 782528
Joined roleplay: November 22nd, 2010, 3:54 am
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 5
Featured Contributor (1) Artist (1)
Advocate (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Trash Medal (1)