Newbie Questions

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Newbie Questions

Postby Urrezko on April 6th, 2012, 7:39 pm

Yeah I'm a newbie I get it, but here are a few (actually a lot of) questions:

How do I find out my Ledger? Is it automatically 100 gold miza's because I'm new?

Can I make up my starting possessions and do I have to list where I got them?

Where do I post my character sheet forum? (if I am supposed to post it in the 'Character Sheet Forum', I need the answer below please)

Where do I find the "Character Sheet Forum"?

Can I copy & paste the Character Sheet given?

How do I update my Character Sheet?

How do I start in a city?

Do I have to be able to get on almost every night to play Mizahar?

Yup, I thinks that is it, if you can answer these question that would be awesome! Thankyou!
Urrezko
Player

Words: 12493
Joined roleplay: April 6th, 2012, 5:35 pm
Race: Human

Newbie Questions

Postby Seven Xu on April 6th, 2012, 7:48 pm

Welcome to Mizahar. Please read your introductory PMs, and point yourself in the direction of the first tab at the top of the page aptly labelled "Getting Started".

http://www.mizahar.com/lore/Starting_Guide
http://www.mizahar.com/lore/Starting_package
http://www.mizahar.com/forums/character-sheets-f37.html
http://www.mizahar.com/forums/topic59.html
http://www.mizahar.com/lore/Where_do_I_start_out
Seven Xu
Rhetoric can't raise the dead.

Words: 567538
Joined roleplay: April 30th, 2011, 11:02 pm
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Newbie Questions

Postby Kadrath Onktaka on April 6th, 2012, 8:34 pm

Welcome! Here are some helpful tips on getting started on this huge site.
First off, you'll notice the necessity of choosing a race and a proper name that is your character. This does NOT include numbers or self made titles like 'the conqueror' and such.

Second: Check your new messages on the top left corner up there. It will give you a comprehensive EVERYTHING list of links and explanations of what you need to know. It contains:

Welcome to Mizahar!

Sent: date, time
To: player name
Hello player name,

and welcome to Mizahar! This PM is a short guide to starting out in our community. All the information here (and much much more) can also be found in the Mizahar Lore. Since the Lore is so big, however, this PM is a good starting point for new players.

The first rule is: don't panic! There is a learning curve, but also plenty of help along the way.

Are you new to forum roleplaying? Click the button! :

You picked a name and a race for your character when you registered. You can change your name at any time, and your race until you start playing. Remember that some names are forbidden: those taken from books, TV shows, movies, etc. ("Harry Potter"), as well as names of real-life personalities ("Benjamin Franklin") and real-life religious figures ("Buddha"). Mizahar is not Earth, and we are strictly original.

Editing your name and profile :
To change your username or password, go to User Control Panel -> Profile -> Edit account settings.

You can change your race from the Profile, as well. Remember this location as it is where you'll put a link to your character sheet when you have one.

This is a good time to start reading up on the Lore. How much information do you need? Well, you need at least enough to create a convincing character. The Starting guide is your friend here, and we recommend that you read it very carefully. It contains everything you need to set up a character, post a character sheet and start playing. Most of it involves coming up with an idea for your PC and then choosing a Starting package - his or her starting skills, knowledge and possessions.

Some things to remember when you create a background for your character.

Mizahar is a fantasy world that was almost totally destroyed 500 years ago by a cataclysm called the Valterrian.
It is a very dangerous world. The world population is merely 250,000. People cling together within a small number of fortified settlements. Traveling is hazardous. Strange monsters roam the lands. Imagine spending weeks without any trace of civilization around you - except the occasional slaver caravan!
Most fantasy cliches do not exist, including elves, dwarves, orcs, vampires, werewolves and demons. Mizahar has a very different feel from your average D&D-like world. You can play those everywhere. Here you can experience something different.
There are no 'nations' in modern Mizahar, only cities with some control over their immediate surroundings. Syliras is the largest city and the closest to civilization you will find on the continent.

What if you get stuck on your character concept? Your best bet is to ask the community! You can post in the Introductions forum to introduce yourself and ask questions while you're at it. Also, the Q&A exists for this. The fastest way to get answers is Chat. We pride ourselves on being a friendly and mature community, and chances are you will find someone with the answer.

You do not need anyone's approval to start playing. This is a firm belief of ours. However, if your character is not appropriate ("girl with a machine-gun") a staff member will post in your character sheet and ask you to edit before you can continue playing.

Want to see more useful links? :

The Character sheets forum - character sheets go in here!
The Matchmaker forum - to find people to play with, e.g. "Looking for traveling companions".
BBcode listing - a list of codes you can use to make your posts prettier.
Help desk - to communicate with the Founders and ask for special permission (such as permission to start with a Gnosis mark).

Mizahar exists for the pleasure of its players and staff, so without new folks joining our community, we cannot grow and thrive. So please be reassured you are welcome here. Do not worry if you are new to roleplay or to our site's form of roleplay because there are people everywhere on the site willing to help you. Just remember, we work to maintain a friendly open community that strives to integrate creative writing with roleplay. So far, this is working well for us. We hope it works as well for you.

Sincerely,
The Founders
admin
Site Admin

You're all excited to play and start that character sheet of course. Once you've read the appropriate lore, click on Character Sheet Forum This is where you'll meet CS Liaisons Ghost and Shepherd who will guide you through the process successfully.

Our chat room is a good place to ask questions to which you have already looked for the answers, but can't find them anywhere else. Formal permissions for special things should be directed to the help desk. The questions and answers forum is also a good place to post a general question that you can't find the answer to in the pm or wiki.

Here on Mizahar, we value our independence and ability to read the information available first, -then- ask questions when we can't find the answers ourselves. We enjoy lots of reading, writing and rping as much as possible.

Again, welcome to Mizahar and we hope you enjoy yourself here. :)
Kadrath Onktaka
Four isn't a crowd; it's an Akontak date.

Words: 88536
Joined roleplay: September 24th, 2011, 12:13 am
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Newbie Questions

Postby Nai'shee on April 6th, 2012, 9:16 pm

Well, guess everything is answered except the last one: Do I have to be able to get on almost every night to play Mizahar?

No, you don't. Many players like if you reply in three or four days, but many are slow-posters and don't mind waiting for much longer. You basically have three months to finish your threads (season) and you're allowed to continue it even after that! You just have to warn your threadmates about your speed, delays and stuff. And try not joining opened threads when you can't log at least once in two-three days.

Good luck with Miza, I hope you'll like it here. :D
ABSENCE
Common
Fratava
Nai'shee
One day, you'll all know my name

Words: 240186
Joined roleplay: December 30th, 2011, 7:22 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes