[Pain's Scrapbook] Evolution

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The player scrapbooks forum is literally a place for writers to warm-up, brainstorm, keep little scraps of notes, or just post things to encourage themselves and each other. Each player can feel free to create their own thread - one per account - and use them accordingly.

Postby Elhaym on March 10th, 2012, 7:58 am

Character Diamond

So, after a discussion in chat I ended up reading an entry in Katie's scrapbook regarding some of the finer points of writing. Therein I discovered the character diamond, and I decided to give it a shot. It was actually pretty enlightening for me, because I have been kind of in a state where I was growing unsure of who or what Elhaym really is. Doing this helped me get my own character back in perspective in my head and remember how she should be acting. Well, here goes!

Brave
Irrational
Concise
Brutal
Diligent
Moody
Judgmental
Impolite
Vindictive
Assumptive
Determined
Maternal
Unwavering
Protective
Ruthless
Narrow Minded
Adamant
Uneducated
Cold
Brazen

Break it down...
- Brave, Determined, Unwavering, Protective, Maternal
- Impolite, Judgmental, Vindictive, Uneducated, Irrational
- Assumptive, Moody, Cold, Diligent, Brutal
- Brazen, Ruthless, Narrow Minded, Concise, Adamant

Simplified...
- Maternal
- Vindictive
- Diligent
- Ruthless

Permanent
Diligent (+), Vindictive (-)

Situational
Maternal (+), Ruthless (-)

So, it came down to these four. I'm actually kind of pleased with these, because for me it really helps identify what Elhaym really is. I was also amused that I couldn't rightfully put any of the typical hero adjectives in there. Well, that was fun!
Elhaym
Kick! Punch! It's all in the mind.

Words: 567762
Joined roleplay: August 16th, 2010, 4:25 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 3
Artist (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1)

Postby Elhaym on March 15th, 2012, 1:54 am

Moar Character Diamond

So I have been singing this thing's praises in chat ever since I found out about it, and everyone I tell seems to love it! Given that, I've decided to take my almost finished character diamond and polish it into an unrelenting gleam. So, above is what I finished up with last time, but I have decided to sub in something that after a little word searching suited what I was looking for a bit better.

Permanent
Tenacious (+), Vindictive (-)

Situational
Maternal (+), Reckless (-)

To me, tenacious is fits El a little better than diligent. It is not because of true discipline that she accomplishes so much, but stubbornness and refusal to admit defeat (even in small things). To me, that is tenacity, not diligence. Regarding Ruthless -> Reckless, I think this was a situation of what I want Elhaym to be in the future as opposed to what she actually is now. She is not exactly ruthless, but her recklessness spans from her physical temper to her irresponsible way of dealing with other people's feelings. A much better fit, I think. Well, onward!

Tenacious
te·na·cious | [tuh-ney-shuhs]
a : persistent in maintaining, adhering to, or seeking something valued or desired
To define Elhaym is define a woman in motion. Her entire life has been filled with her desperately trying to wrap her fingers around something, and hold on for dear life. Once she has made up her mind, it is hard to dissuade her from her course; be it always pushing her body to new limits, or trying to discover a truth that eludes her. Some may consider her tenacity an annoyance and a fault, but to Elhaym, success is everything. It's not firmly about always achieving her goals, more so that to stop trying is unacceptable.

Vindictive
vin·dic·tive | [vin-dik-tiv]
disposed or inclined to revenge; vengeful

Elhaym is indeed tenacious, and woe to any who impede her. While not overtly violent or aggressive at the drop of a hat, Elhaym simply cannot help but nurse a grudge against anyone who slights her, and she will act on it if she can. In her supposedly disciplined world, her vindictive nature causes her superiors and herself a great amount of grief, but it is beyond her to correct it. A lifetime spent seeking revenge has planted a seed, and now its roots are so firmly entangled in her soul that they have become it's foundation. It is a constant distraction from everything that is good in her, and most often the side of her that people remember as when it appears, it is quite overt.

Maternal
ma·ter·nal | [muh-tur-nl]
of, pertaining to, having the qualities of, or befitting a mother: maternal instincts.
Elhaym has no children, but her protective nature asserts itself fiercely in other areas of her life. It is not simply the act of protecting a person or an ideal, or even a city that truly defines her nature. It is her willingness to accept responsibility for it, be it for praise or reprimand. Like a mother, she will not stay her hand to something or someone worthy of her attention, even if it means she will suffer backlash from her peers or superiors for it.
[quote]This city was her home, and today was not a day for her drama, her hate, her insecurity or her jealousy.

Reckless
reck·less | [rek-lis]
utterly unconcerned about the consequences of some action; without caution; careless
Be it pushing the boundaries of the Shinya Order, refusing to accept horrible odds in a fight as a reason for caution, or stomping atop the emotions of another person, Elhaym's recklessness is a part of her that bloomed at a young age. Throughout her life she has been plagued by an urgent need to act quickly without much forethought, and her lack of concern with how her actions can affect others is just as troublesome.
Elhaym
Kick! Punch! It's all in the mind.

Words: 567762
Joined roleplay: August 16th, 2010, 4:25 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 3
Artist (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1)

Postby Seven Xu on April 10th, 2012, 2:23 am

Dat ass.
Seven Xu
Rhetoric can't raise the dead.

Words: 567538
Joined roleplay: April 30th, 2011, 11:02 pm
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Previous