End Game: the Crucible.

Citywide Plot

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A village cut off from the rest of Mizahar by the Valterrian, slowly reestablishing contact with the outside world.

Postby Veldrys on March 21st, 2012, 6:08 pm

Xelhes didn’t seem to be able to hear him. Veldrys wasn’t sure if he could see him either. The Ethaefal seemed confused. He looked around as if he were some kind of wold animal, only driven by his instincts, as if he had lost all touch with reality. The Symenestra’s eyes widened in shock as he suddenly grabbed a scalpel. “Xelhes … no …” he warned him. He tried to reach him, tried to stop him, but he was already in front of Louie, about to stab him. He could only watch …

As The Priest of Rak’keli lunged towards Xelhes, he thought that he was going to kill him at first. He was about to step in when he realized that Cian had successfully managed to prevent Louie’s murder. Still, the healer was bleeding, and thus the Symenestra came to his side. “You are wounded”, he remarked. “Your hand needs to be bandaged.”

“No”, he replied and sighed. “I don’t have any idea how to use this. Under normal circumstances I might be able to see it in your blood, but since no gnosis works as it should at the moment … I really don’t know …” He shook his head. The Symenestra felt completely useless at the moment. He had made a prophecy in his previous life, he had received a prophecy in his current life, but he seemed to be unable to prevent anything.

Why had he been given a prophecy if he couldn’t do anything?

OOCI’m not content with this post, but I didn’t want to make you wait any longer!
Veldrys
Player

Words: 401625
Joined roleplay: February 8th, 2011, 5:01 pm
Race: Symenestra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
2011 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Louie Wein on March 24th, 2012, 6:18 am

The longtime goal spanning lifetimes finally achieved. Victory! And it all turned sour just because of some spoiled ethaefal kid. The stone was all that was and is at that moment, the only thing in his eyes. Reflected in pure want for the intelligencer past his time because for all the intelligence that he might have had in the past it meant nothing now. The sharp twang of pain brought Louie back as Ciel escaped into the deep recesses of his mind. Whatever she knew about the stone gone with her at least until the next time she returned. Of course that would be far too late since Cian Noc wanted to know now, when the zith is attacking.

With blood accompanying the pain that came from his rib, it was all Louie could do to keep from freaking out when he saw it. Filling up his mind with nothing but beautiful information as he tried to block everything else especially the question of 'why?' Marx's bellowing, Xelhes' apologies. Even the fate of the stone that she yearned for. However at the cry of zith, he was reminded about what Talen had told him before and he also kept repeating to himself "zith-devil-child. They are all connected..." for what seemed like the minutes that were used by the rest to prepare for the attack while he tried to compose himself.

His wound was still bleeding but it did not hurt as much as he had thought though he still needed to take a seat so that the blood would not escape. Without Ciel, Louie could only help by relying on his own experience seeing that even Xelhes was avoiding him, ask questions like "maybe you did something special to trigger it the last time. Recall how you handled it" and they might be able to get the answer. It would of course be a lot better than going on airs about the god's favoured race like a boast though the ziths would not care about such a distinction.

Because right now they can only see Syna out the window and the only thing that she is doing is showing them the oncoming ziths. "Unless you can somehow get the gods' power into the stone now. How about putting it under Syna's light? It may even transform" like all those ethaefals, like the one who gave him the wound at his side. Normally Louie would not be snide but with the sudden stab during his nap and his student literally being caught red handed, it is only proof that he is human.
Louie Wein
I don't cry wolf

Words: 69995
Joined roleplay: October 28th, 2011, 9:11 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet

Postby Xelhes on March 24th, 2012, 5:54 pm

Seodai's thought that the Ethaefal may be connected cause Xelhes to look at the man with disbelief, pulled back into the conversation with the farmer's words. Listening to what each person had to offer for information his eyes shifted back and forth, still not making direct contact with anyone else. What had happened last time the Stone activated? Now Xelhes wished he had at least payed some attention to what was going on around him, realizing that he had daydreamed through a large portion of the beginning of this 'meeting.' Still, there were a few things he knew for facts: The Stone was an effort by Leth and Syna, it was possible broken, and it had possibly already activated twice. The difference between the two to Xelhes was simple, it had worked in a positive way when Cian held the Stone yet the moment it was relinquished from the Healer everything went out of control, and now more than every the Ethaefal thought the Stone had some form of sentience.

"Ethaefal are nothing more than souls who were once in Leth and Syna realm and then expelled. We are no Syna or Leth and everyone saw what happened when I held the Stone for a moment...None of you may believe me but when I held the Stone for a few moments I felt it send something up me, like it forced what I saw upon me, and I would not be surprised if others felt something that made no sense. For me it was uncontrollable fear, thought it could be anything..." The Ethaefal's voice was clear yet still quiet, his eyes still clouded with a mixture of sadness, self hate, and shame. Would anyone even listen to him if he spoke more, or would they simply assume he was trying to find a way to justify his attack? Almost no one here really knew Xelhes and for that reason he could understand if they did not trust him, especially after what had occurred.

"When I or another held the Stone it, in my opinion, seemed to act against us, however we have had the Stone work successfully once already. Cian," Xelhes motioned towards the healer, offering an apologetic look as well, and then continued saying, "is the only one who has held the Stone and had something favorable occur. For that reason I think that Cian should wish to commune with the hunting party...As for how the only thing I can think of is by asking the Stone to allow him to do so. It may sound foolish but...I feel like there may be sentience in the Stone. The artifact was made by Leth and Syna, by magic from the gods, and for that reason I think anything is probable. If the Stone does not react than I would do as Louie says and let Syna's radiance touch it. The light of the gods that made it might be a possible source of power for it."

As he said Louie's name pain fluttered across the Ethaefal's features, as if he was the one who had been stab instead of his teacher. Worried about the looks he might receive, harsh words, or lack there of, Xelhes laid his head on his thighs, obstructing it from everyone's view. If he could have his way the Ethaefal would have simply went home and stayed there for ages, until these feelings at least diluted in strength. He hated what he had done, regardless on if the Stone had caused it, and there was no way to fix the damage. For now he just sat there, replaying the event in a loop and trying to think of a way to at least gain back the trust of some people. He did not want to lose the few friends he had, worried even more about the possibility that everyone would leave him and he would be forced to live alone again. What could he possibly have to offer to mend the damage thought, if only by a small amount?

Xelhes
Player

Words: 159436
Joined roleplay: October 7th, 2011, 10:16 pm
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Legion on March 24th, 2012, 8:13 pm

Cian automatically thrust out his bloody hand to Veldrys to allow the Symenestra to work his healing upon it. The Solduvan Stone remain firmly in the fist of his other hand while they spoke, foraging logic and reason from the debris of chaos and fear.

Denval, the priest thought, was proud today.

"Here," he jerked his chin at Seodai, beckoning him near while Delano rubbed at a bloody nose and paced toward a position of guard at the garden door. "I've a thought, thanks to all of you."

"Think faster," Delano suggested on an acerbic tone. He was squinting an eye out into the a slat of daylight, still trying to spy the sky where Zith flew.

Cian's mouth jerked, but he shook himself.

"The magic," he attempted to convey, "Is the entropy. Veldrys, how does it go? That which Viratas told you. There is something in it of orbs, isn't there? And then Louie is right. You are all right. Put the Stone in the sunlight, in the hands of Leth's ethaefal."

Here the healer's eyes moved to Xelhes.

"Didn't the prophecy say that? With the orbs. To fuse them? If we can, then maybe it will --"

"Cian," Delano, the warrior, cut in. "There are Zith out there."

"Denval, defend yourself," Cian spat back. "We can stand beneath our own sky, can't we? For this? Who will try with me?"
Legion

Denval Forum | Denval News | Denval Lore
Lhavit Forum | Lhavit News | Lhavit Lore

I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.
Legion
Boom, backflip.

Words: 114213
Joined roleplay: September 10th, 2011, 6:23 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Xelhes on March 28th, 2012, 7:21 pm

OOCI feel like a post hoe...but I love it. Let's propel this plot forward people!

Cian's words about putting Xelhes in the sunlight with the Stone made the Ethaefal's eyes widen, pulled back to the now by the shock. He had guessed wrong, again. Xelhes had thought the orbs were a physical thing, yet it seemed they were in fact a representation of Syna and Leth. Still, the Ethaefal was a little skeptical about the validity of the plan working. The prophecy had said to fuse the orbs, but what did fuse entitle? Would having an Ethaefal of Leth standing in Syna's radiance with the Stone truly act as a fusion of the 'two orbs' even though in Xelhes' mind that did not seem like a fusion? The thing that troubled him most though was the black mark on the Stone; the sign that the Stone was no longer pure, but instead a broken artifact. Would the Stone even let Xelhes touch it again, considering how it reacted to him last time?

Standing up the Ethaefal walked towards Cian, looking at the floor as he did so, still unable to look at everyone else in the room. So far no one had said anything about what he had done, though Louie looked cross for obvious reasons. Had they believed him, that the Stone had done some form of magic on him? Maybe it had done the same to everyone else as well, and Xelhes was simply the weakest one here. Standing just a small distance from Cian, the Ethaefal's eyes glanced at the healer's freshly bandaged hand, quickly looking back down at the floor; he still could not believe what he had done and tried to do, magic at work or not. "I will do what I can to help, especially if it means there is a chance to save Denval. Standing in the sunlight with the Stone and wish to commune with the hunting party is all I must do, right? I may not be capable of much but I should be able to do at least that."

Really it was all the Ethaefal could do, especially against the Zith. He did not have his bow or arrows with him, and even if he did his skill with the weapon was far from superb. It was times like this that he retained some of his past life's talent, if only in that one thing. Besides, aside from wanting to save Denval and those he cared about here the Ethaefal had a slightly ulterior motive. The idea of simply standing in the sunlight still seemed off for the orbs to fuse, and with that Xelhes hoped that maybe the Stone would have to take something from Xelhes as well, and fuse the sunlight with that inside itself to act as power.

Truly the Ethaefal was just thinking optimistically, but it was a small hope he held regardless of how irrational it was. Taking an inhale Xelhes nodded at Cian, showing that the healer had his full support and would do what ever he was told. Isolde had failed once before and Denval fell, and with both her passion and his own there was no way Xelhes would allow that to happen. Not again.

Last edited by Xelhes on April 3rd, 2012, 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Xelhes
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Veldrys on April 3rd, 2012, 5:14 am

Veldrys treated Cian’s wound and wrapped a bandage around his hand to stop the bleeding while he listened to what everybody had to say. They seemed to know no more than he did. Besides that, Louie and Xelhes still seemed to be somewhat affected by whatever madness had taken place earlier. He cast a brief glance at them. Satisfied that they seemed to be acting comparatively normally again, he finished bandaging Cian’s hand and then nodded at the healer.

„Entropy?“ He raised his head and looked into Cian’s eyes. He clearly remembered the words that Viratas had spoken to him. He had learned them by heart and would never forget them. „This is how it goes“, he said.

"Ware the butterflies of precious paint
Writ large upon the fallen's walls
Find the root of entropy's taint
Fuse the orbs ere Denval falls."

„Maybe putting the stone in the sunlight is the solution“,
he murmurred. As he heard Delano’s warning about Zith he looked at him abruptly. Until now he had not paid much attention to what was happening outside, but had solely concentrated on the happenings surrounding the stone. If there were Zith outside …

„Denval, defend yourself“, he agreed. „I will be of no use if it comes to a fight, but I will be able to aid you in other ways. We need to try and save Denval.“
Veldrys
Player

Words: 401625
Joined roleplay: February 8th, 2011, 5:01 pm
Race: Symenestra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
2011 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Legion on April 28th, 2012, 4:35 am

The smile Cian graced the brave with was a wondrous and rare thing. It went deep, dousing all of the smiles he had littered upon the Denvali in the past with a pallor in comparison.

He nodded, eyes shifting from Xelhes to Veldrys before he stepped back so that his gaze might encompass them both. With utmost care, he extended his undamaged hand and flipped his closed fist up. Fingers unfolded in what was ultimately a wary revelation of the amber stone in his grip and eventually his fingers flattened out.

"Have a care," he cautioned the ethaefal. "Armor yourself."

Delano shifted from behind the healer, head tilting to better observe this exchange. It was difficult to miss the rattle of his fingertips against the hilt of the sword at his hip, but it was not a gesture done it threat. It was one of promise: he would defend them and with steel if he must.

Or maybe just if he could.
Legion

Legion
Boom, backflip.

Office
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Xelhes on May 14th, 2012, 4:19 pm

Cian’s smile caught the Ethaefal by surprise, the man blinking for a moment before returning the smile with one of his own. Even as he smiled back Xelhes was unsure if the healer’s expression included him, but it did not matter in the end. All that mattered now was trying to make Cian’s plan work, and for Xelhes to do everything he could to prevent Denval from falling.

Seeing the Stone before him caused a scowl to appear on the Ethaefal’s face, as if he something tasted fowl in his mouth. This relic had already attacked him once, and he had no love for it due to the fact. He found it difficult to accept the fact that Syna and Leth had blessed something so corrupt, even if it was damaged now. The hesitation was apparent in his eyes as he continued to stare at the Stone, knowing that if it had attacked him once it would most likely try again.

Taking a breath he looked around the room, his eyes gazing from person to person though still avoiding direct eye contact with everyone, Louie especially. After a moment he gave another nod to Cian, braced himself mentally against whatever the Stone may attempt to throw or strike him with, and accepted the Stone from the healer.

Xelhes
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Louie Wein on May 27th, 2012, 3:09 am

Zith or ethaefal, which one was the bigger threat? One he knew would gnaw on his bones as soon as it had his way with him but the ethaefal already attacked him. The wound on his side was proof enough. Would Louie actually be any good in defending anyone now? He was not even any good in defending himself from Xelhes and when he came today he never expected that he would need a weapon. What person would be in a fight in the Opal Temple? They would be healed right after, after getting their beatings from Cian Noc.

Louie decided he would be better off on the chair in his moment of clarity, where that woman was silent after losing out on her goals so easily. He looked around the room for whatever was in reach, grabbing a nearby broom. It was almost just right if it only had a few minor adjustments to its length. Louie started smashing the broom on to the table hoping to crack it into how long he needed it to be before the others thought that Xelhes damaged his mind as well. That however would depend on how strong the broom was. If it was that strong, then maybe it would be better than any rapier that Louie could have brought along with him today.

After that leaning on the chair with the stick to support him, Louie waited for the inevitable zith but his hopes was still that Xelhes attempts would work. He watched, eyes getting charged up with djed as opposed to his body that was getting fatigued to keep him all together. The animated scene of the room slowly focused on the stone, its surroundings beginning to lose colour as if the stone was working itself to stand out. If there was any changes then Louie would know from its aura before any visions or glow. It would make him more willing to fight back the ziths and maybe anyone else who would believe him.
Louie Wein
I don't cry wolf

Words: 69995
Joined roleplay: October 28th, 2011, 9:11 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet

Postby Legion on June 27th, 2012, 10:24 pm

The healer delivered a slow nod to Xelhes before his regard expanded to include Louie and the others as well. Confidence welled within his expression, countered by the suspicion that continued to lurk in the countenance of Delano.

"Come on then," Cian murmured with eyebrows rising ever so slight. He turned for the door that would lead them past the neat rows of his herb garden and into the anemic day.

Cinna Dahl stepped fleet footed ahead, loosing the bolt and shouldering open the door with sword ringing free of its scabbard. She would go first, a swath of pale hair swinging against her cheek as she glanced back to them before grim eyes turned to the sky above.

"Resourceful, aren't you?" Delano remarked to Louie while falling in step with him, the gleam of his bow dull in the sunlight as they followed Cian out. An arrow was pulled from the quiver the lieutenant had snatched from a hook by the door and he twisted it about nervous fingers while, like Cinna, scanning the horizon beyond the canopy of the grove.

"Hold it fast," Cian tilted his head, muttering in Xelhes' ear. A steady hand -- the unbandaged one -- gripped the ethaefal's elbow not to keep him, maybe, but to support and affirm. "Don't let the sunlight touch it yet."
Legion

Legion
Boom, backflip.

Office
Featured Contributor (1)

PreviousNext