A Day at the Market (Cassandra, Khashare)

Cassandra and Trevinus go to meet a friend at the market and end up coming home with more than they expected.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A city floating in the center of a lake, Ravok is a place of dark beauty, romance and culture. Behind it all though is the presence of Rhysol, God of Evil and Betrayal. The city is controlled by The Black Sun, a religious organization devoted to Rhysol. [Lore]

Postby Verilian on May 7th, 2012, 3:55 pm

A Day at the Market

Timestamp: 30th of Spring, 512 AV

Cassandra Coven

Heavy panting, stifled moans, and the creaking of an old bed filled the hot muggy air of Cassandra's room as two people tangled in the sheets enjoyed the pleasures of one another. Trevinus had come early that day, the urgent knock on the door waking Cassandra from a blissful sleep. Her hurried attempts to cover herself as she pulled on clothes to answer the door were for naught as Trevinus ripped them off as soon as he saw her. His appetite had not been sated the night before and with barely a good morning they were back in bed and in the throes of passion. He was hungry and he was vigorous, it was one hell of a way to start the day, and as always his subtle use of magic brought Cassandra to impossible heights. When they were finally done he collapsed on top of her, their sweaty bodies pressed together, him breathing heavily in her ear. Finally he rolled off, kicking off the sheets so they could cool down. After a few chimes he sat up and looked down at his lover.

"I want you by my side today. I'm going to meet an old friend of mine at the market, it would please me if you came with me. What do you say?"

The request might not have been all that odd had it come from anyone other than Trevinus. Going to the market was no big deal, right? But they had never 'gone to market' together. Theirs was a relationship of passion and business. True, he would bring her gifts from time to time and occasionally treat her to dinner at the finest establishments Ravok had to offer, but those instances were always to show off his power and remind Cassandra of the life she would miss if she didn't continue their arrangement. But a trip to the market together was somehow more.. intimate.

She probably couldn't have said no, whether she wanted to go or not, but it was odd of him to ask her at all. Usually he just told her. Even so, he was waiting for an answer, and it wouldn't do to keep the powerful man waiting long.

Khashare

Khashare stood in the center of a room, naked and shivering, her six arms bound together behind her back and her right leg chained to a pin on the floor as another bucket of ice cold soapy water was splashed onto her. Why it had to be cold, she did not know, perhaps they weren't willing to waste the effort to warm the water for a mere slave. Foreign hands rubbed tattered soaking rags over her as her fellow slaves scrubbed her down, making sure no crevice was missed as they cleaned her at the orders of their master. And all the while he watched, making sure no detail was missed.

"You go on the stand today, slave. You will stand tall and proud. If you are spoken to, you will answer, but otherwise you may not speak. You will sell yourself. If you do not sell you will come back here and you will be beaten. The next morning you will be beaten. The morning after that, you will be beaten again. And again the next. And then I will lock you away until your scars have healed, and then you will go on the stand again. If you do not sell then, you will be beaten for twice as long."

The man paced across the room as he spoke. His name was Renauld, Renauld Azrim. He was a slaver, and a powerful man. He was well known to the slaves of Ravok as one of the cruelest masters in the city, though thankfully he was often abroad collecting new slaves to sell. Renauld turned and walked up to Khashare, grabbing her face by the chin and looking into her eyes.

"And.. if you do not sell today, I will have you. Every night, I will have you, until you are so sore between the legs you cannot bear to even walk."

He dropped Khashare's chin and stepped back, the smile on his face full of cruelty. This was the treatment all his slaves were given, at least the ones he intended to sell. As for those he kept for himself, Khashare could only imagine what sort of horrible things they went through. The slaves who were now drying her off and bringing her a set of clothes had many bruises, but all were completely obedient to their master. Once Khashare was cleaned, dried, dressed, and re-chained they left the room, leaving Khashare alone with Renauld. Still wearing that cruel smile he approached her, stopping inches away.

"Now, what are you going to do on the stand today?"
Forecast for tonight... Dark
-----
Wind Reach---Wind Reach Lore---WR Request Thread
Verilian
Retired Staff

Words: 1113582
Joined roleplay: December 23rd, 2010, 9:53 pm
Race: Staff account
Storyteller secrets
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Featured Contributor (1) Trailblazer (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Cassandra Coven on May 8th, 2012, 2:00 am

When Trevinus burst through her apartment, it was all Cassandra could do to give the door a weak shove to close it as the Nitrozian heir half-dragged and half-carried her back to her bed, showering her neck and chest with kisses. His hands roamed her flesh, grasping and groping with desperate need, as soon as he had torn of the slight shift she had hastily put on only seconds before. There was a sense of underlying urgency in his motions, as if he could not contain his desire for her, and Cassandra could only give in as he imposed his will upon her.

She surprised herself with her own performance to satisfy the man, even as her still foggy mind struggled to clear the cobwebs of sleep from her consciousness. Whether it was standing up, on her back or on all fours, shoved and pressed against the mattress or made to straddle him, Cassandra gave herself fully to Trevinus - just as she always did whenever their bodies were intertwined. She knew well that they were just using each other; she, for living the pleasures of the wealthy life he did when he was with her, and he, for enjoying the pleasures her body could give him. Likely, Trevinus was aware that she knew theirs was an arrangement of mutual benefit, but they still continued this pseudo-relationship of theirs - even when Cassandra was seeing another who had captured her heart. No doubt Trevinus himself shared his bed with other women as well. For her part, Cassandra could not help herself. There was something about the man that pulled her to him. It wasn't like Keating's animal magnetism, which she found so irresistible on the dock worker. Trevinus' aura was different...unnatural. Part of her hated him for the things he had made her do, things he had subjected her to. And yet she was still drawn to him, like a moth to a flame. It was as if she did not have a choice in the matter.

Their passions spent, Trevinus unabashedly sat on the side of the bed in the nude while Cassandra began to gather the discarded sheets over her modest breasts. It was a poor attempt at modesty, for had he not just beheld her bare form earlier during their fiery lovemaking, and many, many instances previous as well? Still, she continued the action, getting gooseflesh as she started to feel the encroaching sense of filthiness creeping upon her being as the thrill of their tryst began to wore off. It had almost become a routine for them, Cassandra covering herself up while Trevinus admired whatever body part of her was still exposed. She had an inkling that he thought the gesture was cute.

His invitation caught her offguard, and she actually dropped the blanket in her surprise, re-exposing herself. Trevinus seldom phrased his words into requests, often telling her in no uncertain terms what he wanted from her. As if her owned her. And when she thought about it, he did, to a certain degree at least. His words now seemed something a real lover would say. It sound almost... normal.

"I-I...yes, of course yes. I mean, I would love to," she stammered out, pulling back the blanket close to her. "Is...is there anything you would like me to wear in particular, m'lord?"

The question came out automatically. She knew Trevinus enjoyed parading her around, one of his favorite playthings. Like a prized pet.

OOCSo I toed the line. Dangerously. But I enjoyed writing this post. :)
there is something
i have to say to you
if you promise you'll understand
i cannot contain myself
when in your presence
i'm so humble
touch me
don't hide our love
woman to man

Cassandra Coven
Tortured Soul

Words: 205763
Joined roleplay: June 24th, 2010, 8:21 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Khashare on May 15th, 2012, 3:39 am

The jingle of chains echoed with ever motion the slave made, and the harsh metal of the cuffs cut deep into her skin, bringing forth small winces with every movement. The cold water caused goose-flesh to spring upon her skin, and shivers racked her body, both from the chill and from the feel of another's eyes upon her naked form.

If this were another time, another place she would have felt embarrassment, exposed and shamed as she was... but after so long bound in chains and forced to bend to the wills of others, Khashare had all but lost her sense of modesty. Still, the girl could not help but turn her eyes away from the man who inspected her as he might a sheep for slaughter.

I am not yours to do with as you please, she wished to say, but then the ache in her bones and the bruises of past lessons reminded her of the consequences for sudden outbursts. Instead, she contented herself with silently cursing the man's existence, wishing many ill happenings upon him and his future progeny, and praying for the chance to cut off his--

A small yelp escaped her lips as the cloth brushed against a sensitive area, and at this her cheeks did flush a dark shade of red. Biting her lip she closed her eyes, trying to steady the thump of her heart within her exposed chest. She could feel his eyes burning into her as he spoke, and dimly Khashare recognized what the man was saying.

Either I am sold and I am taken, or I am not sold and I will be beaten. Her arms pulled against her restraints, the cuffs cutting deep and sending a shooting pain through her aching joints and muscles. Khashare glanced at Renauled and then turned her head away, but a strong hand gripped her cheeks and forced her face to turn. Furrowing her brow, the girl glared in defiance at the man, eyes shining with hatred.

Renauld's words sent a chill coursing down her spine, and upon releasing her Khashare pulled hard against her restraints, the sound of clinking chains filling the chamber as she struggled. With a snarl on her lips the girl looked up into the man's eyes, and what she saw there made her heart grow cold, stilling her movements. The man's gaze called for simple obedience, and she knew... if she did not do everything he commanded her life would become...

Khashare looked to the slaves who moved about her, drying her form and bringing out clothing for her to wear. Most were bruised or battered, some sported a limp, but all... all moved instantly upon command. Their eyes never looked up, their faces showed defeat. They were broken... and Khashare knew...

Her mind flashed to visions of what would come of her if she were not bought this night. A shiver of disgust racked her body as she could feel the man's arms about her waist, his breath on her neck and her... His manhood pressing...

She almost gagged, but some part of her held at least enough composure to press the urge back. Dread wormed its way within the coils of her being, and cooling the fire of her eyes to dull coals of life. Her gaze shifted to stare at the ground, her lids closing briefly as she replied in a soft voice.

"I-I... w-will sell myself. I will make all who are there want m-me... A-any way that I can."

A single tear rolled from the corner of her eye, falling to the cold stones below.
Khashare
Player

Words: 5201
Joined roleplay: May 4th, 2012, 4:44 am
Race: Eypharian

Postby Verilian on May 18th, 2012, 5:29 pm

Cassandra Coven

Trevinus nodded his head. He hadn't considered the odd nature of his request, or rather the way he phrased it. If he was indeed falling for the woman he regularly bedded, he didn't realize it. To him the request had seemed perfectly natural, though perhaps if he had thought to take a moment and reconsider his words he might have noticed the difference. He did not, however, barely even taking notice of Cassandra's surprise.

"Whatever you think would look best. We will be outside, so do not wear something that will make you sweat. Other than that, I'm sure you can pick something that looks good."

This part wasn't so odd. Unless Trevinus brought her a specific outfit he wanted her to wear, he usually let Cassandra dress herself. As he waited for Cassandra to get ready Trevinus put his own clothes back on. He wasn't wearing his usual Black Sun robes, instead opting for more casual attire, though still of very fine quality. And his vest still had the crest of the Black Sun on the right side. When Cassandra was ready he led her outside and to the market.

It probably wouldn't take Cassandra long to realize that when he said market, he hadn't meant what she thought. The People's Market was located in the merchant's ring, but they passed through without even stopping. Trevinus was leading her to the docks, and the only "market" on the docks was the slave market. It didn't take long before they could hear the shouting of the auctioneers and the cracking of whips as the slaves who did not sale were punished for what they had no control over.

The Slave Market wasn't nearly as nice a walk as it might have been if Trevinus had taken her to the actual market. It was loud, it was crowded, and it was dirty. It was an odd place to take a woman on a date, that was for certain, but Trevinus had said they were meeting someone and that was where they were going. He led her through the crowd and to the back of the market, in the area where the slaves were kept before being sold. There were men and women locked up in cages, some overstuff with people, and none of them looked very happy. But the pair didn't linger there for long. They went past the cages as well, and into a large building that on the outside didn't look like much, but on the inside was quite luxurious.

Beautiful, scantily clad men and women carried trays of fine beverages about as they catered to the whims of rich looking men who sat in oversized plush chairs and grew fat off the lives of others. Trevinus led Cassandra to a private room where another man and a beautiful woman sat on a couch, each sipping from a glass of wine.

"Ah, Trevinus! So glad you could make it! You remember my wife, Meredith?"

Trevinus nodded to his friend in greetings and bowed his head slightly to the woman beside him. "How could I forget such a lovely lady." Trevinus turned slightly, motioning Cassandra forward, "Cassandra, let me introduce you to my friend. Renauld Azrim, meet Cassandra Coven."

Renauld stood and took Cassandra's hand, planting on it a light kiss, before returning to his seat. "Always a pleasure to meet a friend of Trevinus." Cassandra and Trevinus were invited to sit with the pair, the servants quickly serving them their own glasses of wine as they chatted about idle things for a while. It was all very casual, considering the fact that people’s lives were being traded just outside the doors.

Khashare

"Good," Renauld responded, that cruel smile never leaving his face. "Now wait here," he ordered, as if she had any other choice, "And I will send for you when it's your turn to sell."

Khashare was left alone after that, Renauld leaving her as he went to do whatever it was slavers did when they weren't being cruel to their slaves. It was cold in her room, but at least she had been dressed, and that helped a bit. The manacles binding her arms were uncomfortable, and she could only take a few steps in any direction before the slack on her chain ran out. There was nothing to sit on or lean up against, so all she could do if she wanted to rest was lie down on the floor. It really was quite a miserable life, but maybe if she was lucky she would be sold to a kind master. Unfortunately the chances were slim that she would sell at all, however. Such a rare specimen as an Eypharian would cost quite a lot of mizas, and it was unlikely she would sell at all on the first try. And if she didn't, that meant more misery was to come.

Cassandra and Khashare

"Oh, Trevinus, let me show you my newest stock! She's a real beauty, a prize all the way from the Ahnatep."

"Well you've got me curious, I'll admit that. Now I have to see her."

Renauld stood and Trevinus did as well, motioning for Cassandra to stand with him. Renauld led the couple out of the building and into another, far less luxurious building which was basically a large warehouse with a long hallway and rooms on either side. These rooms held the merchant's stock when they weren't being displayed. About ten rooms down Renauld stopped and unlocked the door, motioning for Cassandra and Trevinus to enter first.

Inside the room was empty, save for one lone figure chained to the center of the floor. She was dressed in fine clothes to increase her chances of selling, had six arms, and had a few bruises but otherwise was not overly damaged.

"Her name is Khashare. I let her keep it because it sounded exotic. She's called an Eypharian. I've never sold one of these before, so I'm hoping to fetch a good price. This one still needs to be broken in though, but I'll try to sell her today anyway."

Renauld walked over to Khashare and smiled that cruel smile of his before grabbing her by the arms and turning her about for Cassandra and Trevinus to get a good look at. Once she had been spun around once he let go of her and took a step back.

"Slave. Say something in that pretty language of yours for my friends here. Tell Trevinus he is the most handsome man you've ever seen."
-----
Verilian
Retired Staff

Storyteller secrets
Office
Scrapbook

Postby Khashare on May 20th, 2012, 1:57 am

Khashare watched the fleeing back of her slaver, a sick feeling tying her heart strings in knots. A feeling of lead weight settled in the pit of her stomach. For a moment she just stood there, unsure what she should do. Looking down she pulled at her cuffed ankle, the clink of chains had become an almost comforting sound to her.

When I can hear the clink of my own chains, she thought, Then the pain must not be so great that I cannot hear, and my screams do not drown out everything but my misery...

Her head turned to gaze as far over her shoulder as she could to inspect where her hands were bound, but to no avail. Sighing deeply Khashare tried to roll her shoulders, but of course this was impossible and when she tried the harsh metal bit deeper into the girl's once perfect skin. Wincing slightly from the sting, Khashare's head fell and her hair covered her face...and a sob broke the silence.

"Why..." Her shoulders shook as a fresh tear fell from the corner of one eye, "Why is it that this has happened... w-what have I done?" A shuddering gasp followed another sob as Khashare's knees shook and she slowly sunk to the cold stones. Her hands, bound as they were, could not be used to support her form. Instead the girl sat in a hunched posture, her legs tucked under her body so that her head hung a mere few inches from the ground, her hair brushing against the dirt.

"I thought they loved m-me. I-I thought th-that--" A vision flashed before her eyes of a harsh unforgiving sun above sloping desert sands. The sound of horse hooves galloping, a scream and...

Her head whipped back and Khashare opened her eyes to stare up at the darkness above, "Is this what I was meant to be? Am I to be nothing more than the highest bidders source of lust and pleasure?"

The girl paused, her eyes searching the emptiness as if she were awaiting an answer, but when none came her head fell once more. Closing her eyes, Khashare pressed her forehead against the cold stones, breathing slowly as the tremors began to subside. In the distance the slave could hear the sound of approaching footsteps, but she did not stir.

"Dira..." she whispered, "If this is my time I pray that you take me swiftly, for if the chance comes... I will fight for my freedom. Guide my spirit safely to Lhex for the next cycle."

When the door opened Khashare slowly raised her head. Her eyes were dark, dull coals of life that flickered only briefly when she looked at Renauld. The girl's posture, her stooped position and bent back all gave her the look of someone who carried a great weight upon her shoulders, but those eyes... though dull that light flickered still.

I am not so broken yet, they seemed to say.

Khashare's gaze strayed over the other man who had accompanied her slaver, but the look in his eyes and his bearing spoke of his similarities to Renauld. Inwardly Khashare shuddered. Her eyes then fell on the woman who had accompanied her, and she could not help but look with admiration at her clothing, however she did not get the chance to look for long before Renauld was upon her once more. Khashare felt the man's tight grip about her arm, and a surprised gasped escaped her lips as she was pulled up from the ground and wrenched around for a better inspection. Stumbling forward, Khashare only just caught herself before she fell on her face. She glared at Renauld, her hatred for the man was evident upon her face as she slowly straighted, turning to look at the two who had come to inspect her.

Khashare's eyes fell on Cassandra once more, but this time her gaze sought the other woman's. Khashare would lock with the woman's eyes for a few moments, a flicker of life appearing in those dark depths as the slave gazed at this picture of freedom. Blinking, Khashare would look away, her lips curling into a snarl as she spoke in the lilting tongue of her people,
"What I can speak would be far too good for ears such as yours." She looked at Renauld, "I pray that Dira calls you quickly, and that in your next life you are a slug to reflect your repulsive nature."

Khashare looked to Trevenis, "Whatever manner of beast you be, know that I will never be yours. Break my bones or ravish my flesh, you will never own me." Finally, the slave looked at Cassandra. Her eyes lingered for a moment on the other woman's, before she looked back at the ground, her voice a bit softer than before, "Dira... take my spirit now before I am tainted further... My life is already forfeit."

Having said her peace, Khashare tensed and braced herself for some form of punishment. She did not know if any of those present could speak Arumenic, but she prayed that, at the very least, Renauld was ignorant of her rebellious words.

OOCI hope that turned out ok. My first real reply :)
Khashare
Player

Words: 5201
Joined roleplay: May 4th, 2012, 4:44 am
Race: Eypharian

Postby Cassandra Coven on May 28th, 2012, 1:33 am

Cassandra opted to put on a simple off-white dress, spartan in terms of frills and laces and other girly features she liked on her clothes, but its low-cut neckline and thin shoulder straps still revealed plenty of what it purposely covered. The dark-haired woman thought it a nice touch and her Black Sun patron would be sure to approve; the dress did well in displaying his power over her and, in essence, everyone else, for its revealing nature would serve to tease the men they would meet in the streets into gawking and yearning for the tempting flesh Trevinus himself had already laid claim on.

The walk to the market had been uneventful, though as Cassandra had predicted, men and even some women did stare at her and at the man whose arm she clung onto. Trevinus did not seem to notice, though perhaps it was because everyone gave them a wide berth after taking one look at the insignia on his breast. Cassandra put up a talkative and bubbly facade for the man, chattering incessantly about what she hoped to find and purchase in the market - the odds and ends shop deserved a good browsing through, with their simple but pretty bracelets and bangles, and a brief stopover at the apothecary would be needed too, for her special tea leaves, and could they avoid the wet market if at all possible to avoid getting stains on her pretty little dress?

She had thought Trevinus was tuning her out until it became obvious to her that the man had a different sort of market in mind. They passed through the merchant's ring without stopping by a single store or stall, to Cassandra's disappointment, and proceeded to the other sort of market by the docks: the Slave Market. Cassandra had been to the place before, but she never ventured too near, not able to bear the cries of slaves as they suffered the lash from particularly sadistic slavers. One time, she had seen a small boy put up into the stand, the child's eyes downcast as different buyers offered bids for him. She had hurried out of the district before a new owner for the boy had been determined.

And now she was being led straight to the heart of the place, not by force, but she had no choice in the matter either. Cassandra kept her eyes on the ground as she followed Trevinus, keeping her gaze away from the slaves and whatever treatment they were receiving at the hands of their handlers. She knew if she met the eyes of even just one, she would feel horrible for that person and would want them released. She worried that Trevinus might have to hit her in public to bring her back to her senses. Thankfully, it didn't come to that as the man led her to an ugly structure that likely housed the slaves up for auction.

Once inside, Cassandra thought she had stepped into a different world, so vast was the contrast between the building's interior and its outer shell. Whoever owned the place must be rich and powerful, indeed. She was still admiring the luxury of her surroundings when Trevinus ushered her into a private chamber. Inside were a couple, acquaintances of her patron it seemed. The woman, quite a sight to behold, even for Cassandra, was introduced as Meredith, and the man, Renauld Azrim. To him, Cassandra's senses quickly focused on, as she noted the cruel coldness in his eyes when he had taken her hand to kiss it. She did not enjoy the sensation of his lips brushing against her skin. Was this the man who ran the slave business in the city?

"M'lord," she could only say in response as she genuflected deeply. It was an awkward gesture, for she was not used to the etiquette among the elite, but she pushed through with it just the same in order to avoid having to look into the man's eyes.

==/==

Pleasantries were exchanges, as well as a bit of small talk, before Renauld invited Trevinus to inspect his latest prize. The latter bade Cassandra to follow. They were led to another building, one Cassandra had a feel of being a stable, if Renauld actually kept horses. But she had a feeling that each room within held a slave rather than a beast of burden. Her instincts were proven correct when they entered a bare room that housed, to Cassandra's astonishment, the strangest creature she ever laid her eyes upon.

It was a woman and yet it was not, not in the sense that Cassandra herself was a woman. For unlike her, the chained creature had six arms, and beautiful... so beautiful that the face of Renauld's wife paled in comparison. Cassandra imagined she herself would look homely side by side with this being. The few noticable bruises she sported only enhanced her glamor. She stared at it - her? - in morbid fascination, enthralled by the creature's exquisite features.

Renauld's rough treatment of his slave made Cassandra start, almost moving towards the man to make him stop before she caught herself. Her eyes flickered guiltily at Trevinus before she lowered her gaze. Hastily, she took a step back to stand a little behind him, locking her shaking hands behind her back. If Trevinus had caught that slightest of movements from her, she knew she would pay for it later. This was a meeting of Ravok's powerful players, and any interruption from someone as insignificant as her would prove to be quite disastrous.

I need to learn to keep my place, she thought, guilt and shame flooding within her. Whether it was a genuine feeling from her own heart or some kind of manipulative magic from Trevinus, she would never know.

She resigned herself to standing quietly as she watched Renauld order the strange woman - Khashare, an Eypharian, according to her captor - into speaking in her native tongue. The alien language was strange, and Cassandra understood not a word of it, but she could only guess at their meaning from Khashare's facial expression. It seemed full of hate for Renauld, and even Trevinus, though her tone changed midway through her strange speech.

"She...she sounds so sad," Cassandra whispered to herself. She bit her lip, knowing she had said it a little too loudly than she had intended, and Trevinus no doubt heard every word.
there is something
i have to say to you
if you promise you'll understand
i cannot contain myself
when in your presence
i'm so humble
touch me
don't hide our love
woman to man

Cassandra Coven
Tortured Soul

Words: 205763
Joined roleplay: June 24th, 2010, 8:21 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Verilian on June 5th, 2012, 6:44 pm

Renauld stood proudly next to his slave as she insulted his companions and begged for death, having not a clue what it was she really said. Khashare might have even gotten away with it, had luck been on her side. Sadly, it was not. Unnoticed by the rest of them, a pair of slave girls entered behind the group, prepared to offer them refills on their drinks if need be. One of the slave girls, an exotic looking woman with tanned skin, reddish brown hair, and eyes a shade of crystalline green unlike any Cassandra had ever seen, let out a little giggle before stifling it with her hand. An alarmed expression came over her face as Renauld noticed the laugh.

Stalking over the slave who was now backing away in fear he grabbed her arm roughly, causing her to drop the tray she was holding. Renauld paid it no heed, shouting at the woman.

"What!? Do you find something funny?"

"N.. no, master. No. I.. it's just," the slave girl shot a glance at Khashare before returning her eyes to her master, "It was nothing, master."

Renauld frowned and pushed the slave against the wall. "You don't just laugh at nothing! Why did you look at her? What did she say? Answer, or you'll be beaten and starved!"

The slave girl hesitated, glancing at Khashare again. This time her eyes were filled sorrow, and Khashare knew right away that she would give her up. Could the slave really be blamed, though? What slave would sacrifice themself for another, especially a stranger who wouldn't be around much longer?

"I.. I didn't understand all of it, master, but.. she.. she called you a slug, and he a beast.. and wished for her own death."

Renauld's eyes widened and he raised his hand to slap the girl in anger, but stopped himself at the last instant. Instead, he shoved her away and spun on Khashare. "You dare to call me names? You are filth! You do not call me names!"

Renauld rushed over to Khashare and kicked her in the stomach, knocking the wind out of her, before raising his hand to strike her over and over in the face. All the while he cursed at her and promised her great suffering for what she had done. It was really quite horrific to watch, and there was nothing Khashare could do to stop him, being chained to the ground as she was.

Trevinus grimaced slightly as he watched the spectacle, but he did not seem overly perturbed by the incident. He did, however, fix his gaze on Cassandra. The expression on her face, plus her reactions from earlier, tugged at something inside him, and nearly a chime of beating Trevinus turned back to the slave and her master.

"That's enough, Renauld."

The man was about to strike Khashare again but froze when Trevinus spoke. He spun around, rage evident at his eyes at being interrupted. "You dare-"

"Yes," Trevinus interrupted again, his voice calm and even. "I do dare. She has had enough for now." Trevinus turned to Cassandra, his expression soft. "Come darling, you don't have to watch any more of this."

Ignoring his friend completely, Trevinus led Cassandra out of the room and into the hall. Behind them they could hear Renauld shouting at the two slave girls, ordering them to clean Khashare up and have her ready for him later. She wouldn't be selling that day, not in the condition Renauld left her, but apparently he still had plans for her that day. When the slaver and his wife finally joined the couple in the hall, all seemed calm again.

"Sorry about that, dear," he said to Cassandra, "I got carried away with myself. I forget sometimes that the fairer sex cannot always bear such sights." To Trevinus he said, "Worry not, she will be thoroughly punished for what she called you. And, I apol.."

"Thankyou, Renauld," Trevinus interrupted yet again, "I think we should return to the lounge. I'm sure Cassandra doesn't want to be in this place any longer, do you my dear?"

Renauld led them back to the lounge, but he and his wife did not stay. Explaining they business to attend to but would return shortly, they left Trevinus and Cassandra to themselves. After they were alone Trevinus poured himself a glass of wine before turning to Cassandra.

"What is wrong, my sweet?"

Meanwhile...

"I'm so sorry! I hope you'll forgive me!"

The slave girl, one Khashare would recognize as a Benshira, dabbed at the Eypharian's face with a wet cloth, cleaning away the blood. Though the Eypharian and Benshira peoples didn't always have the best of relationships, it would explain why she understood some of what Khashare had said. The other girl was there assisting, though she didn't say anything.

"I didn't mean to laugh.. I'm so sorry. But.. he would have beaten and starved me. I.. I am with child. I cannot.. I.. I'm so sorry."
-----
Verilian
Retired Staff

Storyteller secrets
Office
Scrapbook