Tock's Scrapbook - Eccentric Ramblings

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The player scrapbooks forum is literally a place for writers to warm-up, brainstorm, keep little scraps of notes, or just post things to encourage themselves and each other. Each player can feel free to create their own thread - one per account - and use them accordingly.

Postby Minerva Agatha Zipporah on July 14th, 2012, 10:56 pm

Lol *hugs* Yes, that was my FIRST thread ever, so that means you popped my Mizahar cherry my dear! It's just too bad you left Zeltiva *pouts*
Minerva Agatha Zipporah
Quirky Gadgeteer

Words: 1329519
Joined roleplay: April 21st, 2012, 4:50 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1)

Postby Minerva Agatha Zipporah on July 14th, 2012, 11:38 pm

IC vs OOC

Tock is a bitch.

No, really.

She is rude, she curses all the time, she has no respect for other people's boundaries, their religions, or the things they hold sacred. She's just shy of being an anarchist. In a recent thread with Monty, there was a quote: "She didn’t just walk around unmasked, but tore the masks from everyone as she passed." She firmly believes that everyone is, or should be, equal, and is more than willing to tear people down from their pedestals and high horses in order to make sure they know they aren't better than other people.

She is stubborn, closed-minded, and more or less badgers people into giving her her way all the time. In another thread with Monty, she is more or less forcing him to apologize and submit to what she says, when the only thing he "did wrong" was being sick. Yet she is far too stubborn to admit that this couldn't possibly be his fault. She scares people. To quote Monty in that thread: "He was well aware of the woman’s terrifying nature when she was upset and couldn’t quite bring himself to sic that upon his father’s young neighbour twice in quick succession. Some eight days previously he had been on the receiving end of his friend’s volatile temper and subsequently found himself bedridden. "

She has physically struck at least *thinks* six or more NPC's and no less than two PC's when she is angry.

So, what is my point?

Well, my point is that this is who she is in character. I consider myself to be a friendly person out of character. I like to chat, joke around, help people when I can. If you read any of my OOC writing, such as in Montaine's scrapbook, you'll see a far bit of intellectual rambling.

This leads me to an occasional issue wherein I worry that people will react to Tock's in-character bitchiness, and dislike me, as a person. I frequently leave OOC notes in threads along the lines of "Don't take this personally! Tock is angry, but I'm having a great time writing with you!" So far all the players I've threaded with have responded that they, too, are having fun and can easily separate the IC from the OOC. But I always worry that one day, I'm going to do something in-character that offends the player so much they react to it out of character. Which would be a difficult situation, because while I, the player, would gladly apologize to them, Tock's IC reaction would be "Pfft, git over it, bludger!"

Yeah. She's a handful...
Minerva Agatha Zipporah
Quirky Gadgeteer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
One Million Words! (1)

Postby Montaine on July 15th, 2012, 1:04 am

I'm awfully flattered to be referenced so many times in one post.

I must admit I've been annoyed by Tock more than once, not the awesome, intelligent player behind her but the character herself. She's volatile and unpredictable and can be a real jerk and the fact that her actions irritate me prove how great of a character she is. To inspire an emotive response is precisely what we are aiming to do and Tock certainly does that.

And don't worry about people conflating the IC and OOC personas, most people are smart enough not to do that and if anyone ever did then frankly, and perhaps unfairly, I would judge them as unworthy of your time for doing something so utterly stupid.

Keep pissing off people, Tock, you do it beautifully!
Montaine
The Glass Boy

Words: 306099
Joined roleplay: April 6th, 2012, 9:23 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Donor (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Minerva Agatha Zipporah on July 15th, 2012, 1:57 am

Lol, thank you Monty!

And yeah it was easy to reference threads with Monty considering they have been some of the ones where Tock's emotions come out strongest (which you should take as a compliment).

Hopefully, one day, Tock will apologize to Monty for what a jerk she has been to him (because seriously, our current thread, she is being COMPLETELY unreasonable... but she's stubborn like that!) It's actually one of her plotnote goals... Three of them, actually:

"Apologize to someone
Apologize to someone and mean it
Be begrudgingly forced to do something she doesn't want to do"
Minerva Agatha Zipporah
Quirky Gadgeteer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
One Million Words! (1)

Postby Minerva Agatha Zipporah on July 18th, 2012, 4:15 pm

Magic

So I wanted to talk about my personal opinions of the magic system here.

Personally, I like it. I've heard people complain that the system is 'broken', the complaints ranging from magic as a whole to the specifics of certain disciplines. Maybe it is, to a degree. But, even then, its FAR better than what I've seen on other sites.

The other sites I used to be on had no "standardized" systems. People chose their magic/powers/abilities, wrote up their own descriptions, and it was up to the Mods to approve or not. But without any standards to hold people to, it was just up to each Mod's opinion, and they tended to have massively different standards.

Take Fire magic for example. On my old site, one character would get approved for a power that has mild fire manipulation (equivalent of a Novice Fire Reimancer). Another would get approved for a mixed set of fireballs/heat manipulation/magma bursts, etc. And yet another would me an Arch Mage with a whole slew of spells up to and including summoning a huge Fire Elemental and casting fireballs big enough to take down a small building.

No consistency. No standards.

Maybe the magic system here has 'flaws' as some people say, but it has standards too. Everyone gets held to the same Lore. But at the same time, it gives lots of creative leeway.

Continuing on the subject of Fire magic, I've seen players throw fireballs, summon flaming swords, or even just light campfires with their magic. It allows a lot of creativity in how people interpret and use the power, but they have to follow the same rules and standards of the lore. While no system is perfect, I like the balance this system gives between standardization and creative freedom.

Likewise, my Animation magic is open to a lot of interpretation. There aren't as many active Animators on the site, but those that are here do things ranging from snake scarves, to doors, to toy butterflies, to, well, strange contraptions.

I like the creative freedom we have in that regard. One person might want to Animate a sword or crossbow for combat, another person might want to make an animal predator golem and another might just need a shovel.

If I was more well-versed in other magic types I'm sure there are tons of other examples. Summoning, Familiary, Leeching... people probably have a lot of different personal "interpretations" of these magics, which allows everyone to be unique. Sure, there are dozens of Reimancers on the site, but I bet each one does it a little differently from everyone else.
Minerva Agatha Zipporah
Quirky Gadgeteer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
One Million Words! (1)

Postby Minerva Agatha Zipporah on July 21st, 2012, 12:44 am

Stalking the CS Forums

Yes. I'll admit it. I'm 'one of those.'

I check the CS forum regularly for newcomers. Not to read their sheets... I usually only read the sheets of people I'm threading with or people who frequent chat. No, I read the newbie sheets for one reason, and one reason only.

Interventions.

I feel like I'm watching American Idol and waiting for Simon to start being mean and snapping at people. I feel guilty about it, but when there's s good one, I LOVE it! I'm not talking about the typical 'Your birthday is wrong,' or, 'You forgot your racial skill bonuses.' No, I crave the big mistakes. People who reference vampires and dragons in their history, or claim to be the heir to a fallen empire. People who reference real world Earth. People who, I'll just say it, obviously didn't read the Starting Guide AT ALL!!!

We all make mistakes. Lord knows I've made a few. But I try. When I joined I read the Lore for like two days straight before making my CS. I peeked at other people's sheets for guidance so I knew mine was at least close to right. I managed to forget my +15 human racial bonus (thanks Eridanus for that PM!). But I at least had the basic idea right, and the sense to read the Lore thoroughly before picking my skills, magic, and heirloom.

I feel like a bad person for craving those interventions... But I can't help it!!!
Minerva Agatha Zipporah
Quirky Gadgeteer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
One Million Words! (1)

Postby Sserapelham on July 21st, 2012, 3:51 am

You're not the only one Tockie, you're not the only one.

I love to see the interventions too.
Sserapelham
Dhani Diva

Words: 10770
Joined roleplay: July 19th, 2012, 1:03 am
Race: Dhani
Character sheet
Plotnotes

Postby Alori Sai on July 21st, 2012, 3:56 am

Tock that is SO mean..and I do it to... so now I feel bad. -_-

Alori Sai
Child of Ivak

Words: 442256
Joined roleplay: May 12th, 2012, 5:22 pm
Race: Human, Inarta
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)

Postby Minerva Agatha Zipporah on July 21st, 2012, 4:03 am

LOL *hugs them both* I know, right?

We're bad, bad people...

BTW, Aela, I LOVE your signature!!!!
Minerva Agatha Zipporah
Quirky Gadgeteer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
One Million Words! (1)

Postby Alori Sai on July 21st, 2012, 4:08 am

I don't mean to laugh at others..um, mistakes. But some of them are like those TV shows "The world's dumbest (insert name)" and it's too funny,

Thankys, Chyna made it.

Alori Sai
Child of Ivak

Words: 442256
Joined roleplay: May 12th, 2012, 5:22 pm
Race: Human, Inarta
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)

PreviousNext