[Self-Mod] Trails to the past

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

Postby John Vicari on May 2nd, 2010, 9:52 pm

30th Spring of 510 A.V.
The night's sky laid overhead yet John could not see the clear sky as he was sitting across from his twin sister Elaine. Her blonde hair was tied in a single ponytail, her light blue eyes peering out past her smile as she had on a light blue cotton gown. His parents were sleeping and they were just awake in his room with a small table and hot red tea was being shared between them.

"You know, our parents will freak well more dad then any other if they ever find out what we are doing." Elaine said as she picked up a small tea cup before sticking her tongue out at him teasing him on some level. Yet she was right what they were doing was taboo even there mother told them not to do this when she was not around yet John did not care at that.

"I can tell I am getting better then her. Besides we are not doing anything that wrong. It's good practice you know." He replied with a nod of his head as if telling himself it was all right more then her.

"Maybe but the point is the same. They might even kick you out."

"Then let them. I am doing my best to help this family and this is one of the things I need to do. If I could learn more I can be better. I know I can."

"A means to the end is not always the best idea to take."

"No...yet my soul can be blacked as long as I know its for a good deed or two."

He said firmly as he looked at her. They were bound by blood and love yet he knew what he was doing could kill them both. Yet even with that thought she still trusted him fully for this. That made him happy and gave him the hope to go forward with his plans and goals without holding back. "Live for today for tomorrow never comes and the past is already gone."

His eyes were locked on her's both set of light blue eyes seemed worried for a second yet he did not let that get in his way. His love for his family would push him past his chains and let him fly free. His own mind forming his Djed into his eyes as he sent a quick and soft emotional response towards Elaine, it was a clamming feeling of relaxed almost a inner peacefulness. That was the goal at least for her to be more at ease like a person is with a drink or two with friends.

Was it wrong for him to use his sister as a test subject for his gifts? Maybe yet he was not the judge of that. They both did this more then once and that was how he understood more of his gift then his mother for she always just used it when she had to yet that could be due to she did overuse it a few times and it's how she lost her sight in a eye but John was still young. At the age of sixteen and he was more carefree then a adult and that carefree type of feeling gave way to grand ideas and goals.

Elaine's eyes closed for a second or two as she smiled, the tip of her red tongue licked along her lips as she laughed slightly. "You know...I do feel better but I know that has to be of you. Yet if I did not know your powers I would not had guessed it or even made the leap it was you. You can be a scary being but your my Brother and I know you would never hurt me."

The words brought a true smile to John's lips and eyes as he poured another round of the hot tea. It was a treat almost but he enjoyed it. His eyes scanning the bareish room of his, it was a small area but a bed, chest, night stand, few boxes of his laid here and there and it was his. A few papers were around the bed showing neat handwriting and art almost that was his own calligraphy that was slowly getting better.

"I can use it on a few people but not as good as just one person and even then it's still taxing on my body and mind. At first it was like I ran miles before coming to a halt all at once but now it's just...a hard day under the sun I guess is the right term to use? Magic is...scary really. I know the only reason Mother helped me learn it as I was always asking about it but I don't think she really had planed for me to take such a hold over it and learn so much of it. I don't think she knows what I can do really. I have not had any workings with her in awhile but I wonder if I should even tell her now? I am sure she would freak really."

"Well dearest brother that's up to you. Really what she does not know will not hurt her. As long as you don't over do it you will be fine."

"Yeah your right. I am learning my limits and my limits are growing each time. You enjoy our little dark secrets huh?"

"You do as well. It's a sibling thing I guess."

He closed his eyes once again as he pulled more and more of his inner self around him. His eyes flashing open once again sending a bit more of a complex image in her mind. "It's raining. Cold drops touching along your hair."

"I remember a time where it was raining when we were little. Mother yelled at us yet Grandma just laughed as we played in the mud in the streets. The cold water on my neck felt nice but it did not feel nice when dad took his belt to us." She said with a laugh at the end.

John was rather shocked that it brought forth a memory but was happy it did work. He did remember that time as well, it was when they were eight or so they both had to sneak out to play in the rain for they were stuck inside for a few days beforehand. Yet it was worth the belt hitting along the backsides.
Last edited by John Vicari on May 10th, 2010, 12:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
John Vicari
Player

Words: 107575
Joined roleplay: April 20th, 2010, 8:19 pm
Blog: View Blog (10)
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 1
Peer Reviewer (1)

Postby John Vicari on May 2nd, 2010, 10:33 pm

"Tell me. Why do you enjoy this gift oh my dearest brother?"

"It's simple my dear sister. I can't wield a blade nor am I cut for fighting hand to hand. However I did learn years ago I had a gift and that gift was the art of hypnosis. So why would I run out and do other things when I could work and make my gift shine? After I get to the point I feel it's right then I will work on other things more head on but for now my main goal is this and working on other things on the sides."

He took a small pause as he drink a bit more tea which was now getting colder before going on. "I know this can't bring me income as people fear magic and fear this more for even I fear it and at times I fear myself when I look back in a mirror. Yet it can bring me something in the long run and that is somewhat of freedom even if that freedom is just a bit larger chains that binds my body."

"You always say that something binds you. Why is that?" Elaine asked as she tilted her head looking at him.

"I feel everyone is bound by something or another. For me it's income for the family and for myself. For others its the social class or being poor. For others its a fear of something or a knowing that they will never push past something. So really everyone is being bind to someone or something yet in that should give them the power to overcome whatever challenge they face. For me you, Mother, Father, Grandmother gives me the power to over come anything."

"Such a odd view at such a young age yet I think I understand..."

"Maybe one day you will and you will agree with that."

"Maybe but I don't think that."

He let himself laugh slightly, a soft snicker almost leaving his lips as he shook his head. "What can I say? I am the black sheep in the family?"

"If that is the case then I should sheer you so you are hairless. Then no one will know."

"So cold." He said joking yet really he was enjoying himself far too much. Yet he did not let that cloud his mind as he just let the words flow off his tongue this time not using his eyes. "Slowly breath and relax. You're floating in the water at ease with your mind and body. When I count to ten you will sleep...one...two...three...four...five...six...seven...eight...nine...ten..."

The words were laced with his powers as he kept his eyes shut. If he had them open he would had saw her head nod off with her eyes shut as she relaxed and entered a hypnotic trance of being. A state that could let the Hypnotist be more free and probe the deeper parts of the mind. Yet the subject had to be willing and even then it was still a risk. If he got good enough he read somewhere that he might poke at a past life or two yet he did not put faith in that book.

"What is your name?"

"Elaine Vicari."

"How old are you Elaine?"

"Sixteen."

Her voice was softer then normal as if she was sleep talking. It held no feelings just as if it was facts from a book and the book was her mind. John had only done this once beforehand with her and he did not let it last long for he was scared for he was not counting on it to work. Yet this time he was in a better state.

"What do you think of Amy Vicari?"

"She's fun but can be a bit out of it."

"Why do you think that?"

"I think she has a been touched in the head from her time using her hypnosis powers."

"Other then being blind?"

"Yes, I know she does not like her lack of eye but she does not talk about it really. I think she fights something each time she wakes now."

"What of Jake Vicari?"

"He misses fishing and likes to draw yet he does not spend time with me really. I don't think he wanted kids...he does not give the same vibe like Grandma or Mother."

John had to agree with that statement as he did feel like Jake did not like them as much as Amy did. He let his smile fade as he kept his eyes shut for this.

"When I count to five you will wake. You will remember everything...one...two...three...four..five." With the words coming to a end Elaine snapped her head up as if she was dozing off to sleep. Her eyes blinking a few times as she stuck her tongue out at him again.

"That was odd..."

"It should be. Yet it worked did it not?"

"Yeah but...still felt odd. If you can do this and think you are not good then I would hate to see what you could do when you know you can't learn anymore."

"When that day comes I think I would hate to see what I could do if pushed."

"You truly fear your gifts don't you?"

"Yes. If I do not then I will run the risk of using them without a goal or focus then they could kill me or kill someone else."

Elaine just moved her right hand over his patting it. "John...I am sure you will never let that take place. You are far too careful for something like that."

"Maybe..."

He just let it die on his own. He really was scared of his powers but with that fear came to a understanding on his mind and his limits. If he had no fear of it then he would had died long ago when he was learning it but knowing that fear and looking at it whenever he thought of his powers made him a better person then someone who had no fear.
Last edited by John Vicari on May 10th, 2010, 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
John Vicari
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Peer Reviewer (1)

Postby John Vicari on May 3rd, 2010, 1:29 am

A simple deck of cards laid on the table, Elaine took them from her room and they were slowly playing a round of cards. A game which was very simple but took a large amount of bluffing which was to place one card down on the table that had to be larger then the other person's. Before each card was placed you had to take one card out of the other persons hand. You always had the choice of folding to save your hand. Simple but a fun little game.

John had mainly low value cards with the highest being an eight. On a normal day he would just be folding until he drew better cards but for now he was going to try other things. Under his hypnotism lifestyle he learned one basic thing when he started out. Suggestion. A simple but useful trick that sent a message towards the person but they might not always pick it up nor know of it for awhile if at all. However it was still a useful thing as he did not have to say anything out loud and could be laid around a person slowly building up if he had the time.

His simple thought to her was "Fold" and it was that one single thought throughout the game since he let her pick up her cards. His goal was for her not to understand it was him for he always did play nice and fair in any type of game yet he was slowly branching out and trying new things and if he could use his powers in a card game without anyone knowing then he could make a lot of Miza.

She placed down a card face down and he did the same. Sadly he lost with her Ace and his 5 but he did not let that get in the way of his smile as he picked a new card up as she took a two out of his hand. "Think dad will take us fishing one of theses times?" John asked as he placed a three face down on the table.

"Really? I am not sure to tell the truth. I don't think so due to he enjoys his friend time and all. Mother tends to over look the trips when he brings back fish but she yells at him nonstop when he does not. Something about them drinking all the time."

"Yeah, I think they are fighting more and more when they are away from each other. I wonder if that is a good thing?"

"I do not know. Never dated."

She said as they flipped both cards over and once again she won. If they were betting he would be out of a house by now. She always did have good luck with betting he took note of as he pulled out a King from her hand and she got his eight.

"One last time as I can't keep my eyes open much longer." Elaine said as she placed one card down and he did the same. However she did not flip it over as he waited for her to do so.

"Fold..." She said softly as she put her hand on in the discard pile they were making. John was rather shock to hear her say that for she was winning every round but did not try to make her take it back as he flipped her card over.

A Nine compared to his four.

"Why did you fold?"

"I am not sure. Just felt like the right thing to do."

"Huh well I guess you win some and lose some."

"Yeah."

Her mouth opened in a yawn as she picked the cards up before putting them in a small leather deck case and stood up. He rubbed the back of his neck as he stood up as well hugging you tight with a kiss along her cheek as she went off.

"Night dearest Brother."

"Sweet dreams dearest Sister."

And with that his door closed as he moved to his own bed, his shirt was removed as it hit the ground and he just laid in bed thinking of the events that took place.

"I am getting better...Even her of folding was out of line but she seemed not to take note. Wonder just how far I can get? Have to find out...Maybe it's something more then just family reasons...Just maybe I enjoy the power and the rush..."

He was not really sure what to think of that. He knew he should not enjoy the feeling that brought for he knew the dangers of his powers for Amy made sure he did not hear the last of it when he started. Yet she still had the idea he was done with it even if that was far from the case in life.

He just sighed softly under his breath as he let his eyes shut. Sleep would help for it always did help him relax and get the larger picture of things. He was always like that really. Get in a fight then just sleep it off and he would be fine when he was awake next. Somehow he just had a way to deal with problems in his sleep and he did not mind that really. He enjoyed it as he knew no matter how bad the day was tomorrow would be better.

His breathing became softer as he just laid still. The home was quiet as a mouse and he knew his parents would wake soon. Yet they would not care if he slept until midday for he would just make up some line to leave and say he was busy doing a task for someone and he was yet that someone was himself.

He was so unsure of the future right now. He could be a great person but he just had to take it one baby step at a time and never try to run if he could help it. Running would be a very bad thing but he knew he had to push himself somehow. Maybe he would look around town and see if anyone needed any help. Would be a way to get some Miza and maybe a chance to get out and about.
John Vicari
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Peer Reviewer (1)

Postby John Vicari on May 10th, 2010, 7:58 pm

John made his way towards the main part of the home where he had the lingering smell of cooked bread touching along his nose. He saw his middle age father in the kitchen doing what he did best and that was cooking. "Breads today?"

"Yeah along with some other food for us. You know John maybe its high time you learn how to cook as well. No woman wants a man who can't cook!." Jake said with a laugh as he waved his child into the room.

"Look here. This won't take long but you are going to learn how to do it for dinner so listen up and pay mind to this. If you can read then you can cook. You see People have made so many recipe books and so many ideas for cooking it is rather simple if you know the basic terms and what you are reading of. Go to that shelf over there and get out that leather bound book. Yeah that thin one."

John did as he was told pulling the book out from the worn out shelf of books that he never really paid mind to. He took up a seat near his father as he let the page fall open, the yellow aged paper showing just how long his father must have had this book.

"Now, you will want to learn of your tools for basic items. That's the first thing you will learn before you even make a fire is to learn your tools of the trade. Each trade is different you know for you have your forgers who use hammers and iron. Your scribes use quills and paper and then you have your cooks who use more then one tool to aide you and are you hearing me lad?"

"Yeah...you need more then one item to cook. I think I hear my sister calling me..."

"Don't be a smart ass lad. Now...First we will go over your cutting board." He said as he pulled out a thin wood block in John's eyes. It was roughly 14 by 17 he took a guess of as Jake pulled out yet another one placing them in front of him.

"Now. You use two boards, one for your meats then the other for non meat items. Now to clean theses things is just scrub them with some water and soap. I found to get rid of bad smells just rub salt along it and scrub hard."

John slowly was hearing him, the notes in his head was being filled with the terms and lores of what to do as Jake pulled out two different knives. One was a smooth blade and the other had rough edges both almost the same size. Long and wide with a metal handle on both.

"Now, this rough edge has "Teeth" it's a bread knife. It can cut though bread like a saw on wood. This smooth one here is a normal knife which can cut in meats and non meats items."

"Why don't use just use the smooth knife for bread?"

"Simple lad, that will just smash the bread since that is such a touchy item. However if need be you could but you would just be better tearing it with your hands at that point."

As he kept placing items down he pulled out another odd looking item in John's eyes. It was a thin metal...thing in his eyes. The base was a solid metal handle then it moved like spider webs like a large club with slots.

"This here is a whisk.. You will use it often if you mix things and bake things or even basic cooking items. You use it when you have a powder like substance mixed with something wet like water or milk them beat it with it until it is a dough like item....wipe that blink look off your face. It's easier once you start."

"If you say so..."

"Now what have you learned so far?"

"Umm...cutting boards...you cut items on them and keep meat on one and other stuff on the other...You use a bread knife for bread and that has teeth on it. The other smooth knife you use for other items...and a whisk to beat things in a dough..."

"Your getting it. Maybe you have hope yet."

"Seesh thanks dad."

"Now to peel items...You see you have potatoes, apples and the like that has a skin over it. You normally want to peel them off for cooking meals if it calls for it for that you use something like this."

John saw a wood base for this hand size tool. It looked like a small mouth at the end with two metal slits that was being held in mid air on the sides that was locked in the wood item.

"This is a peeler. You don't have to use this fancy tool as you can use a basic small knife if you know what your doing. Just run this along the food in question and it will peel the skin off."

"Now somethings you just need to make in shards and such and that is called to grate. You will use this."

Once more he pulled out a metal item that had holes all over the surface that seemed to form small blades and shards of the metal for it was not cut evenly.

"You can use a knife as well if you want. Odds are I will just teach you that or both but get use to a knife being your main tool in this for awhile until you learn a bit more. However if you have a grater then use it."

"Now, chopping you will use a knife and that means chunks of items. Dicing means into a fine item and the like."

"So...what am I cooking tonight?"

"You are going to cook some meat and bread. Basic stuff really so you won't have a problem. You will have a cookbook and me as a guide. Afterwards I will show you how to clean as you go and store the food both used and unused."

"Joy..."

"Lad don't make me yell at you."

"Yeah yeah I am listening and will do it. Poison but it will work I am sure."

"Nah your my child. You and your sister has cooking blood in you."

With that John just took the old book and made his way in the room to study. It would be a long day that he foresaw...
John Vicari
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Peer Reviewer (1)

Postby John Vicari on May 26th, 2010, 1:38 pm

Let me tell you a tale...

The tools looked so odd to John as he saw them laid out for him. A few bags laid near the ground as he was told they had salt and sugar which was something he had to use for the dinner. His father was just on the outer part of the room yet was leaving it mainly in his own hands with a cook book that talked of a simple bread meal and how to cook some meat.

The cast iron pot laid along the hot stove which was slowly coming to a boil. He had to get the water warm it sounded like from the book as he took out another bowl that was a thinner metal. He was more worried he would set the area on fire yet without being able to get out of it he just went along with it. Maybe after he did poison the family they would ban him from cooking?

He placed the large bowl along the table near him before adding some dry yeast which the book called for 1 1/2 tablespoons yet he did not pay mind to the fine details of the numbers and placed two tablespoons in the bowl before mixing it with the hot water which was just to be slightly more warmer then normal cool water.

With the whisk in hand he slowly started to beat it around yet a bit to shy to truly work the tool like it should have leaving more lumps them anything in the bowl for it should had more a smooth creamy like texture yet his was far from that as he placed in two tablespoons of salt and seven cups of flour even if the book said teaspoons of salt and add the flour six times at one cup per time.

His fingers replaced the whisk as he did his best to make it in a more dough like life form yet it was slow and hard work. It would had been hard work in the end even if he did follow the right wording but he did not forcing him to force the food to take in more amounts then needed and could really handle as his bare fingers moved in the odd dough like substance that was for dinner. He had no idea how long had passed until he shaped the dough into a block before placing it in yet another metal pan with a damp cloth over it.

His father at last looking above a book, a small sigh leaving his lips along with a look of distaste for he knew what that should have looked like yet made no movements to stop his son from leaning the hard way even if that way meant they would go without food for a night. "Now start cleaning the area as that sits. You have meat in that box by the wall that was just brought. Try not to burn it."

With such kind words John started to clean up the area letting most of the items soak in the sink as he washed his hands before grabbing two chucks of meat that looked like they came from cows then anything else yet he was not even sure if they were around the area. He placed them on his cutting board before picking up a knife. If he knew how to use knives even in combat he may have made smooth clean cuts yet he did not even know how to stab someone with a blade as he started to cut in the meat.

It felt more like cutting into wood then meat as he moved the blade in a sewing motion thinking it would get the job done faster yet all it really did was make the chunk of meat look a bit worse then anything yet after he cut into five small chunks he pulled out a metal pan placing it on the stove before adding the meat before the pan was hot enough. He had no idea it was best to heat the pan beforehand yet he would learn somehow.

Yet as he did place that he took the bread placing it in the oven which was fueled by small logs under it heating both the oven and stove but without much of a thought he forgot of the meat as he did as the smell of burning meat filled the air with dark smoke. With a sudden eek like sound from his own lips he flipped the meat over leaving the side darkly burnt as laughter was heard from the other end of the room.

With a glare towards his father he moved the meat on the other side once more before placing them on a plate before grabbing the bread from the oven as he saw it was more or less a golden brown on the outside as he placed them both on the dining room table. His father on the other hand did not make a grab towards anything nor call around for the family to eat for they were out having a girls day.

"Well as it is just us...Let's eat. As you cooked the meal I will let you grab the first things and start."

He said knowing full well the meat was underdone even if the outside looked done and the same went with the bread. He would just cook another meal later after he was done with this lesson but sighed inside for the wasted food was still a waste yet it was the best way to learn how to do something like this.

John just grabbed a slab of meat and cut into the bread with a bread knife, at first he thought the bread was done yet as the blade moved past the first layer of the surface he found it was more glop like then anything almost like a pudding as he placed it on his plate. He did not even taste the bread as he cut into the meat eating before looking which was almost all the way rare inside other then the outer part having a black brunt crisp to it.

"What did you learn lad?"

"I umm learned that I can't cook to save a life?"

"Other then that."

"I think I did not read things right..."

"No you did not. Cooking is a easy thing to learn if you pay mind to the details and don't rush."

"But it looked done..."

"Yes yet you can never tell from the outside. Bread will take awhile and should be done first. Meat you want to cut in the center to test it out as you cook it but don't worry lad you will learn in time."

"You mean I have to cook again?"

"Yep but not tonight. First I will show you what to do with the unused meat."

They both moved back towards the kitchen area as the bag of salt was put on one of the tables.

"Simple use is just coat the meat with the salt making another skin almost then to store it in a cool dry area. If you are in the wild I would dig a hole and line it with cloth or something then put the salted meat there or if you are in a home try a cool box like what we have. The salt will save it longer and not let it rot yet you will need to cut it off or boil it to use it next time."

John opened the bag looking at the salt before grabbing the meat, with a more careful hand he just patted some salt on the meat on each side giving it a light coat. "Like this?" He asked looking back at his father before he saw him shake his head. "Don't be fearful of using more salt. Give it a THICK coat as you will regret it if you add to little and it rots faster then you were planning."

With that he just dropped it in the bag then just shaking the bag making sure to flip it on both sides before picking it out. On all sides the meat had a thicker layer of salt as he placed it in a cloth before placing it down in the cool box to store the meats.

"Now clean this mess up and I will go to the market and get dinner. Make sure you toss out that stuff and for the love of gods don't eat it and get sick."

With the parting words he just left John standing in the dirty room with a soft smile on his face before slowly started to clean the area...

Do come again for another tale...
John Vicari
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Peer Reviewer (1)

Postby Gossamer on May 27th, 2010, 5:12 pm

Moderator Note:
I'm sorry but I cannot award this thread. You ran another active PC as an NPC in this thread and that is not allowed under our system. Active PCs cannot be used as NPCs in any way shape or form - with or without their permission - unless they are retired (put into that category) and turned over as an NPC via the help desk. Also you need approval via the HD for NPCs such as parents etc before you run them.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Gossamer on June 27th, 2010, 8:06 pm

Character: John
Experience: 4 XP Hypnotism, 1 XP Cooking, 2 XP Interrogation, 1 XP Rhetoric
Lore: Lore of Cheating at Cards, Lore of Using Hypnotism with Cards, Lore of Using A Sibling for a Test Subject, Lore of Lying to Parents

Additional Note: Thank you for taking the time to get Elaine set up as an NPC since the player has left the site... and for taking the time to explain she was an NPC prior to the player JOINING the site. The name change confused me since it was written as someone else in your Storyteller's Secrets Thread.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)