Yes I know what a pedestal is!(guest mod, rayage)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

An undead citadel created before the cataclysm, Sahova is devoted to all kinds of magical research. The living may visit the island, if they are willing to obey its rules. [Lore]

Postby Coren on January 9th, 2012, 6:45 pm

quest mod application :
http://www.mizahar.com/forums/topic17244.html

2th of winter

Aledech quickly made his way through the winding corridors and stairs of sahova a scowl on the nuit's slowly decaying face expressing only a sliver of the anoyance he was feeling at this very moment. Only a few day's ago his foolish apprentice had decided that the warnings and restrictions he himself gave to him were overblown and where not needed. The foolish moron of an apprentice then had somehow managed to scatter all his ichor and decaying pieces of flesh and bone over the inside of his laboratory and to make matters worse, this was the exact moment that one of the esteemed nuit had requested him to use his considerable skills in magecrafting to enchant a weapon.
Unable to refuse this request without serious repercussions but most likely unable to complete the item in time if he didn't have at least some semblance of help he went looking for anybody that could at least fill in for his deceased apprentice.

Which is how Aledech ended up in the dusty corridors of sahova searching for the laboratory of one nuit who might be able to act as a halfway decent assistant, one nuit who called himself Rayage.
Finally coming to a stop in front of the door which was marked with the number of Rayage's lab. Aledech loudly knocked three times on the door before entering. Not caring if the nuit was bussy with something.
“You are rayage? Well by some stroke of luck it seems you have managed to get yourself a temporary job as my assistant for my current magecrafting project. Now hurry up and follow me.” Aledech impatiantly waited for the nuit to stand up and drop whatever he was using at the moment so he could get on with it.

"I'm speaking vani"
"I am speaking common"
"Me speaking nader canoch!"

Real life is kicking me in the can at the moment. posting is delayed. sorry for the inconvienience.
Coren
journeyman mage

Words: 294771
Joined roleplay: July 27th, 2011, 7:33 pm
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Guest Storyteller (1)

Postby Rayage on February 13th, 2012, 6:27 pm

The lab work was never done, Sahova was never satisfied, which was fine. Ray wasn’t going to be satisfied either until he had created life of his own. His quest for the understanding of the principle of life has sunk into the tedious observations of the creatures he had thus far created: H1-A, and H2-A. He had a small book on the subtle changes in their aura as the alchemical effects decayed around them with the passing of time. He would be doing another project, but he was waiting for his order from the office to arrive. Waiting was the hardest part. So to occupy himself he took to more observations.

However, that did not last long at all. There was a pounding on his door. Strange. Who could be wanting him at this hour? He was busy couldn’t they see that? Whatever the annoyance was it soon entered without Ray even coming to the door. How lovely. He had better things to do than socialize with the nuit, gods forbid a human, who came into his lab, his space.

Not only that but the man was demanding things. ”You must have the wrong lab.” Ray stated quite plainly, ”If you would open your eyes you would see that this is an alchemy laboratory, not one for Magecraft. If you think I have the slightest hint of how to do Magecraft you are greatly mistaken. Please, take this mishap elsewhere and report that I my major is not your magic but wondrous Alchemy.” he addressed the mage who had walked in.

The mage would cross his arms before turning away from the man who had so rudely interrupted his observations of the two creatures.
“Method is more important than strength, when you wish to control your enemies. By dropping golden beads near a snake, a crow once managed to have a passer-by kill the snake for the beads.” ~ Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Image Image Image
Rayage
Sahova All-Star

Words: 980399
Joined roleplay: February 5th, 2011, 9:40 pm
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Thread (1) Lore Author (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Coren on February 13th, 2012, 9:50 pm

Aledech didn't bother to hide the displeasure at the current situation.
“Yes I did see that this was an alchemy lab, the eyes of this body haven't rotten out of this skull yet and no I didn't make a mistake. I do need you to assist me we with an urgent magecrafting project that I was assigned. You see, a day ago my foolish former apprentice thought that my warnings about magic didn't apply to him anymore and managed to spread what was left of him all over my laboratory. And the only thing available at the moment as a replacement was a foolish human.” Aledech said with disdain in his voice at the idea of having to put up with a normal human of all things.

Aledech didn't bother trying to stop Rayage as the nuit turned around, as long as he could hear what he was say. “As fortune would have it though, I was informed that you couldn't continue your current research until you had some supplies delivered and that you had expressed an intrest into learning magecrafting.” Aledech once again paused for a few moments to let the information sink in. “And seeing as you managed to become proficient in your own craft without killing yourself I assume you are intelligent enough to follow simple instructions and warnings better then my late apprentice. So are you going to take me up on this offer?” Aledech said in a tone that didn't really gave a lot of choice in the matter. Either he would come with him now, or he would make him come with him one way or the other it was only a matter of time.

"I'm speaking vani"
"I am speaking common"

Real life is kicking me in the can at the moment. posting is delayed. sorry for the inconvienience.
Coren
journeyman mage

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Guest Storyteller (1)

Postby Rayage on February 15th, 2012, 6:48 pm

Ray was a little surprised when the other mage mentioned that he knew Ray was waiting for supplies to show up for his next experiment, ”So, you have done your homework.” he said turning back to the man in front of him, ”You even heard of my interest in magecraft. What can I say” he shrugged, ”Ive always been interested in it.”

He thought over what was said, ”Too bad about your apprentice, but if he didn’t have the brains to listen to his master then he got what was coming.” He said not having symphony for those who have a talent of proving themselves less than intelligent. They usually died, and gods rid them of off the face of the earth. They had no place here. In the nuits mind those who don’t have the capacity to make advancements, to drive change, should follow orders, and if they couldn’t even do that, as in the case of this mans apprentice, then they would die, eventually. Again his model was approved, signed off by the death of that fool. Proved time and time again. Pathetic. Would they not learn?

”I guess,” he said looking at the man, ”Since my schedule is so free I can assist you in your work.” he said as if his ‘help’ in this project would make it all the better. ”Unlike some people I can follow instructions.” he told him half wondering how the man knew of his little urge to learn magecraft. Details didn’t matter, he had his chance, and the man didn’t back down so he would go with him.

Waiting a moment for the man to lead the way he spoke up when this didn’t happen, ”Surely this process cannot go down in a laboratory built for Alchemy.” he said, stepping forward. He would follow the nuit, only because it would serve his purpose and he had nothing better to do.
“Method is more important than strength, when you wish to control your enemies. By dropping golden beads near a snake, a crow once managed to have a passer-by kill the snake for the beads.” ~ Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Image Image Image
Rayage
Sahova All-Star

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Coren on February 22nd, 2012, 11:09 am

Aledech's decaying face didn't move that much as rayage spouted a line of reasoning that Aledech wholeheartedly agreed with.
“Don't feel bad about it, its just one less fool I need to share this isle with, at the very least. And yes an alchemy lab obviously isn't equipped to practice magecrafting.” Aledech said as he turned on his heel and walked down the corridor, expecting Rayage to follow him without question.
“Now then, since the laboratory is quite a walk away, I will go over the basic's of magecrafting.” Once more aledech had a slight pause.

“I will assume that you already know what the purpose of magecrafting is so lets go over the principles of it. It doesn't matter how you turn it, in the end magecrafting is just the sum of a number of steps one takes, with each step being more or less independent of each other. Each of those steps either enhances a trait of the item that is being enchanted or adds a new ability to it. "
"In all there are 5 traits one can improve or add with magecrafting, the structure can be improved. One can add other behaviors, though they need to be compatible with what the item can do. One can give it the ability to receive a gnosis mark. One can give the item a primitive intelligence or lastly one can grant the item to preform a magical discipline, usually personal magic for obvious reasons.” He fell silent for a while, leaving the time for Rayage to ask questions about what he just tried to explain before he would continue with the lesson.

oocSorry for being late

"I'm speaking vani"
"I am speaking common"

Coren
journeyman mage

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Guest Storyteller (1)

Postby Rayage on March 12th, 2012, 2:59 am

Rayage listened and walked along with the mage, nodding respectfully to the words trying to take in everything he was saying. This might be, no this is, his chance to get insight from a professional mage on another magical discipline which he knew almost nothing about. The mage went on to explain the basic five properties that could be enhanced and Ray waited for a more in depth explanation of the five properties, but it was never given. Always better in magic to ask rather than assume he voiced his first question, ”With no disrespect to you, sir,” he said ”could you better explain the properties which you mentioned? Surely a mage like yourself can understand the learning curve of a new magical discipline. It would be like me ranting on to you about my alchemic formulas and various ideas.” he made the comparison with a smile going on the teaching experience which he received when he taught at the esteemed Zeltiva University.

"You should never assume the student knows something. Best to re-inform than to blow something up, yes? So... start from the beginning" he said in a slight tone which almost said for itself what he thought of this nuit already.

Image Image Image
Rayage
Sahova All-Star

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Coren on July 28th, 2012, 1:20 pm

“Actually, I was assuming you where a moron who needs time to digest the simplification I told you before I went in dept.” The nuit answered to his new.. 'pupil' already getting annoyed at the uppety of the nuit. Besides his first explination was simple enough to get the gist of all he could do with it.

“Well then structural enhancement is pretty simple. The mayority of artifacts people think about when they hear about magecrafting are things like swords that are so sharp they can cut through metal, armor that is strong enough to withstand an avalance. Same with behavoirs, you can make a cart ride by itself, let an axe swing faster or let a torch light itself on fire when you say the command. Of course the item needs to have the ability to do the behaviour. Letting a sword emit poison is impossible unless the item has a resevoir and mechanism to release poison to begin with.” He had said that part of the explination in a slow and clear voice as if talking to a complete idiot.

“Now then, adding intelligence to an object is also a pretty clear cut thing the more effort is . It usually is done with items that have a lot of added abilities so that the item can activate them without user input. Lessening the load on the user. That or it is build in as a safety measure for magic wielding objects. Shutting themselves down when they are on the verge of overgiving to prevent damage to themselves.”

“The last two traits one can grant are the ability to preform magic and the ability to receive a gnosis mark. Both of them require aid however, If one wants to grant an object the abilities of a voider for example, one needs to have a voider to impart the knowledge of voiding. As for with gnosis. One is only able to give the ability of receiving a gnosis to the item. The actual granting of it has to be bargained with the god itself.” He stopped in front of a door and glanced at Rayage.
“You got those things?”

"I'm speaking vani"
"I am speaking common"

Coren
journeyman mage

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Guest Storyteller (1)

Postby Rayage on August 14th, 2012, 2:52 am

The nuit listened to the man explain more as he followed him down the hall. What an infuriating man ordering him around and then treating him like he was some kind of moron. Who did he think he is? Rays superior obviously, but magecrafting had nothing on Alchemy, or what he had heard about it so far. He wondered what exactly he was going to help craft with the mage. Baring the abuse a little longer he tried to absorb every bit of information that the other nuit was spewing out.

It wasn’t that he couldn’t keep up, the concepts were simple enough. It wasn’t even the voice that irritated the nuit, but rather the tone. Yes, the tone in the nuits voice irritated Rayage beyond anything. How dare he be treated like this, he was an alchemist and a great asset to Sahova. The Alchemist could almost spit in the others direction, but he withheld himself. Oh yes, he would keep this mages in mind for when he would come in power here, and the man would rue the day that he treated Ray like this. Though, he didn’t mind the free lesson, and it probably came easier talking to a nuit rather than a pulser, as anything living is so lovingly called on the island.

Then they stopped at the door and Ray nodded, mentally recalling the words which were just spoken. The five traits- Structural, Behavioral, Intelligence, Magic, and Gnosis. ”Yes, sir.” he said, ”I have it.” he said, a slight poison to his words, but he tried to stay respectful. The nuit was ‘kind’ enough to let him in on his project, whatever that is, and if Sahova was funding it then the thing was probably interesting or the island is trying to make a quick buck. Either way, he will come out of this with knowledge, and here knowledge is power, and Ray liked power.

Image Image Image
Rayage
Sahova All-Star

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)