[Bronze Wood] The Serpent and The Seer (Savitaire)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Stretching northward along the coastline of the Suvan Sea, the Cobalt Mountains are the home of the Bronze Wood, numerous ruins, and creatures both strange and fantastical.

Postby Naeya on August 23rd, 2012, 8:22 pm

Timestamp: Season of Summer, 67th Day, 512 AV

Is that the same petching tree?

Naeya rubbed her forehead in frustration. The Bronze Wood had managed to keep her going in circles. She had only stepped off of the North Kabrin Road for a chime, but it seemed that either her sense of direction was hopeless or the woods themselves were infused with magic and trickery. "Please don't be a repeat of Alvadas," she mumbled to herself, remembering Ionu's illusions with dismay.

The Konti knew she should have brought someone along with her, but she had been so eager to escape the stuffy, smelly confines of Syliras for a day. She'd heard a whisper from locals of a beautiful, safe hotspring that lay close to the city and, despite warm weather, she had jumped at the opportunity to visit. Beauty, water, and fresh air. How could she possibly have said no?

It was supposed to be only a fifteen chime walk from the city gates, but she had been searching for the better part of the hour. Somewhere along the way, she made the poor decision to leave the main path and follow what looked to be a manmade trail. Unfortunately, it only led her as far as the next grouping of shrubs before disappearing into the underbrush. And, when she'd turned to go back to the road, it too was gone.

"Peeeetch."

Naeya sighed, sent a silent prayer up to Semele to guide her, and hitched her backpack further up on her shoulder. There was nothing left to do but continue on in the direction she guessed the Kabrin Road to be in (or hope that by some small miracle she would stumble upon the spring). Vegetation brushed up against her sandalled feet as she began to walk. Her brown breeches, worn under a green cotton shirt, were rolled up to her knees and several light scratches from brambles were visible on her pastel-scaled legs. She was heading towards a patch of afternoon sunlight that had snuck through a gap in the trees.

As Naeya passed by a particularly large bronze-barked tree, she thought she heard a rustle in the bushes behind her. The Konti stopped and cocked her blonde head slightly to the side, listening intently. She'd been very wary about coming across another living thing in the woods, as it could be either a good or a bad omen. If she ran into a kind Syliran citizen, she was certain to find her way safely back to the city. If she ran into someone with more hostile intentions - or even a wild animal - then her day might take a more serious turn for the worse.

The rustling continued. One twig snapped. And then another.

There are wolves in these woods... right? Shyke. Don't be a wolf. Please don't be a wolf.

Her fishtail braid swung over her shoulder as Naeya apprehensively turned to face the noise. She placed a webbed hand around the dagger handle in her scabbard, and tensed her shoulders as she awaited the intruder.
Last edited by Naeya on August 29th, 2012, 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Naeya
And yes I said yes I will Yes.

Words: 214237
Joined roleplay: June 25th, 2012, 3:25 am
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Character (1) Lore Author (1)

Postby Savitaire on August 23rd, 2012, 10:21 pm

Warm sun, warm rock, full belly, these were the simple joys of a snake’s existence, especially if said snake was actually a Dhani. Sun bathing was probably the single most greatest thing to do after a meal when he was in his serpent form. Till the sounds of angry birds, mutters and then the fading sounds of human feet stepping caught his attention. They soon faded and he ignored it, his location thus far not discovered, but when it passed under his tree again? He uncoiled slithering slowly down the trunk to his things, changing to his human form and then getting dressed with a silent sigh. His meal had been a while ago so the transition from snake to man was smooth, it took longer or didn’t happen at all depending on how full he was. He stood up closing his eyes and listening, again whoever it was had walked off. It wasn’t unusual for people to get lost, especially if they were not used to the forest or strayed from well-defined paths. Yet to go so deep in? It took a brave soul or a stupid one to decide to stray too far in, especially knowing the woods were home to predators.

He followed the sounds, it wasn’t hard, whoever it was made enough sounds to make everything annoyed. Good thing he had eaten or such sounds would have made him annoyed and hungry, right now he was mostly amused. Rounding a tree he came face to face with a woman who was looking at him like he was something that was going to pounce on her. He looked her over noting her pale hair, eyes and scales, he’d met a Konti before and it seemed he’s just met another by luck. “Need help?”

Savitaire stood at a lithe and stocky six foot four inches and weighed at one hundred and ninety five pounds. He was wearing loose linen pants, sandals and a long sleeved cotton tunic, over one shoulder was a leather drawstring bag holding all the possessions he owned, which wasn’t much. He had ink black hair and warm grey eyes, his smile seemingly mischievous. Yet for all of that he didn’t make himself loom up, he simply stayed where he had popped up from waiting patiently. There were plenty of reasons why someone might get wary, after all some tall stranger coming from somewhere when one is lost might raise eye brows. The woman was slender and delicate, something he assumed was just another racial trait, though she was just as beautiful as Nira’lia. He wondered if she was as easily shy and sweet tempered, she had been one of the rare people he didn’t feel threatened by, even when she had brandished a weapon. His normal instinct would have been to defend himself, though in her case he had chosen to be playful and try to get her to relax.

He decided to simply see how she reacted to his arrival, hopefully she wouldn’t act aggressive. He kept his hands where she could see them, his posture relaxed and his expression while amused, showed nothing threatening. His grey eyes watched her intently, but patiently, she seemed to him like a frightened rabbit and the best thing for something frightened is to seem relaxed.
Savitaire
Snake of many smiles

Words: 69037
Joined roleplay: August 6th, 2012, 7:11 am
Race: Dhani
Character sheet

Postby Naeya on August 26th, 2012, 9:27 pm

As the dark-haired man stepped into view, Naeya let out a quiet sigh of relief. Thank Avalis. He wasn’t a wolf. To her knowledge, he wasn’t any type of ravenous wild animal. The man was quite a bit larger than the small Konti, but that was hardly intimidating for someone who had grown up surrounded by Akalak. As far as she could tell, he didn’t signify safety, but neither did he represent certain death.

That’s a good start.

Naeya continued to keep her hand guardedly on the handle of her dagger as the man stopped several feet away from her. She was finding it hard to decipher his intentions. He didn’t look like he meant any harm (was that a smile of amusement on his lips?), but she was not naïve enough to think that looks decried one’s innocence.

She would have liked to peruse the man’s chavi in order to determine his character, but it would have been foolhardy to leave her earthbound form so unprotected. Instead, Naeya used the other sight available to her and scanned her green eyes over him in order to assess the possible risk.

He wasn’t armed, but could probably overpower her in a fight. He also wasn’t making any threatening movements, but if he did and she ran then he would likely catch her. A person didn’t look that self-assured without having some sort of useful knowledge about the forest.

The situation would have to be approached cautiously. Carefully. Kobalt’s words entered the forefront of her mind, reminding her not to show signs of weakness and to always be wary.

He’d asked if she needed help, so she would start there.

“Yes, actually,” Naeya began, clearing her throat of the nervousness that sought to betray her. “Would you mind pointing me in the direction of the Kabrin Road? Please. I got a little turned around heading for the hotsprings and, well, here I am…” She trailed off, biting her lower lip to keep herself from spilling her entire life’s story.

Despite the Konti's best attempts to hide it, a look of hope had made its way onto her pale face. Perhaps Semele had sent her a good omen. Perhaps things would work out after all.
Naeya

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Savitaire on August 26th, 2012, 11:43 pm

He had to think for a moment and then nodded his head in the direction “About twenty minute walk west, an hour south if you want to go back the way you’ve come. That is…if you don’t get turned around again. If you’d like I could walk with you, I don’t know where the hot springs are, but I can guide you back if you can’t find it.” He didn’t move closer, nor did his body language change, neither did the amusement in his eyes. He just couldn’t help being amused that she had thought him some beast in the bushes. He walked closer, though it was clear getting near her wasn’t his goal. “There is a small creek that runs near here, you probably could use first a drink, then a short rest in the shade. There are a few flat rocks to sit on and I can leave so you can use the water for more than a drink if my being near makes you too uncomfortable if you choose to do so.”

She’d get the impression that nudity didn’t phase him like it might most, he said it in such a way as to make her relax, but also in a way to say he didn’t care regardless. It was true though, nudity alone wasn’t enough to arouse him the way it might others. He could appreciate a females form, but looking at skin was like looking at clothes, intentions were more interesting than mere looks. He started walking, the creek was in the same direction as the road, but not in the direction of back the way she had come. His accent might interest her for if she had been near the Falyndar region she might be able to recognize what part of the world he is a native of. If, not that he knew she could or could, she chose to look at his character she’d see some interesting things. He was an honest sort, did his best not to lie though he’d avoid or dance around something instead of actually saying what it is. He didn’t harm others without a just reason, though if he found himself in the thick of battle he’d enjoy himself. There was a deep pain in him, a longing that left a hole inside. He was calm, gentle, kind, easily given to cheer though he tried to keep his distance and not delve too deep in to his own history.

Yet when he made attachments he was protective, to the point he’d risk his life without thought if he had to. He hadn’t made that type of connection to anyone, but the potential was there for if and when it happened. He’d be a dangerous and persistent enemy towards anyone that made themselves one to him. He also had the strong desire to travel and learn, but his the secret desire to stay in one spot if he found the right anchor. He was the type of man that a woman could get attached to, but ultimately have their heart broken over if all that lay between them is simple lust. It would take a strong connection between him that that person to get him to stay. There was also a duality to his nature of a deep wildness that might suggest a Kelvic, but had a cold ruthlessness that would make one very glad that he had a strong sense of honor and right or wrong. That deep predatory savagery wasn’t like one would see in say a wolf or a cat, this was something unique to reptiles and more specifically snakes. His other nature was very present, even as he had that extra something that allowed him to be and act human.

He kept tight reign upon his desires, especially so upon his darker impulses. In short he was a man who could be trusted, though a very interesting individual that might lead one to stay near just to see more of his personality. He could inspire just as much fear in someone as he could trust depending on what the other person did to prompt action from him. He didn’t like to be the one to instigate aggression, he was one to wait then finish it. One would probably be led to wonder what had caused such pain and longing in him to mark him as it had.

He stopped walking just past her and waited for her to indicate which direction they would be going. Either way he was perfectly fine, it was just up to her choice.
Savitaire
Snake of many smiles

Character sheet

Postby Naeya on August 29th, 2012, 3:02 am

How have I managed to get myself this turned around? Naeya wondered, completely perplexed with her inability to navigate the Bronze Wood. The hotsprings were supposed to be a fifteen chime walk from the city, not an hour and twenty. Didn't the Sylirans say that the springs were on the right side of the Kabrin Road? Or maybe it had been the left... Gods, she really needed to learn how to read a map (and then actually bring said map along with her).

The Konti was sorely tempted to take the stranger up on his offer, though her lack of directional sense meant that she really couldn't know which way he truly led her. Common sense said that she needed to know if he was trustworthy before agreeing to his suggestion. The rest of her mind, however, said that following his lead was really her best option, as she certainly didn't want to be stuck in these woods come nightfall. At this last thought, she glanced warily at the sky. Leth wouldn't begin his ascent until at least four or five hours had passed, but there was no use in risking the wait.

As the man began to walk towards her, Naeya instinctively, though unnecessarily, tightened her grip on the dagger. She wanted to trust him. She really did. But what was he doing alone in the Bronze Wood, seemingly unarmed? And how did he know it so well? He didn't look much like a hunter. Was he a gatherer? Food was scarce in the city, that was true. But why wander so deep into the forest? If he knew it so well, she was sure that he also knew of its dangers. How could he expect to protect himself? What could he even protect himself with, a stick?

Maybe if it was a really big stick.

The suggestion of rest and water was a good one, however. Even if she couldn't go to the springs, she did not want her day to be a complete waste. In addition, she was always hard-pressed to turn down the possibility of a quick dip. She truly did need to feel safe before following him, however.

It was a stupid thing to do. She shouldn't have allowed herself to do it (as her physical body was completely unprotected during Divination) but she found that she couldn't help it once the idea had entered her head. Naeya did her best to hide her face from the man with a tilt of her head, but her visit to the chavena came too quickly. He would have been able to see the vacant, faraway look in her eyes if he were inquisitive enough to look.

The man's chavi was fascinating, though she only visited it briefly to keep herself from being completely at risk. She learned immediately that he was Dhani, which provided her with a new understanding of how he protected himself. In his past, he seemed to be kind and honest to those he liked. She could feel the anger and hurt around the edges towards those he had made enemies of, however. He was not as good and innocent as she'd hoped for - but it was rare to find anyone untouched by the hardships of Mizahar. We are all a little rough around the edges these days. More important to Naeya was that his past pointed to an innate sense of honour, and a trustworthy nature.

As the chavi disappeared mere moments later and the Konti returned to the present, she blinked dazedly and looked carefully at the Dhani man. "If... if you promise that I'll be safe with you, I will come with you to the creek and then back to Syliras," she replied slowly, smiling hesitantly. She chose not to mention her knowledge of his snake form, nor her knowledge of his past. If he wanted her to know, he would tell her. She'd learned at least that much from her past forays in Divination.

Naeya walked over to his left side, snapping several twigs as she did so. As of yet, she was completely oblivious to the noise she'd been making in the forest and the attention it may or may not have attracted. "My name's Naeya, by the way." She gave the man a warmer smile this time, and lithely reached out a scaled hand to grasp his.

"Thank you kindly for your help. What did my poor sense of direction stop you from doing this afternoon, if I may ask?"
Last edited by Naeya on August 29th, 2012, 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Naeya

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Savitaire on August 29th, 2012, 3:40 am

Something really odd happened just then when he had finally stopped moving, the woman staring off in to space, yet even as her eyes looked far away they seemed to stare in to his very soul. It made him fall very still as the hairs on the back of his neck stood on end, he didn’t understand at all. When whatever had made her look as she had stopped and she asked her question he couldn’t help feeling disturbed. He didn’t speak for a few minutes, looking away thoughtfully, but eventually he sighed and gave her a grin; though it was a trace sad. “If I had intended to hurt you, you’d be so, but it has never been my intention to harm anyone. If you still feel you cannot trust me, I’ll understand…”

He didn’t make a move, he wanted to make sure she was certain she wished to come with him. Her unease made him assume she knew what area he was from and that, since he didn’t look Myrian, she had figured out what he was as well. It meant she had traveled more than Nira’lia, for the other Konti he had met hadn’t known what he was by sight or at all till he told her. This woman assumed he would hurt her, but she hadn’t done anything to warrant any violence against her. “I don’t harm those that do nothing, since you have not done anything you have nothing to fear. I am not like the rest of my people, I don’t engage in violence without first being attacked myself. So please…be at ease.”

That was all he could do, assure her, if that wasn’t good enough then he’d leave her sight and secretly follow her to protect her from wild beasts. That at least he’d do for her, even if she didn’t trust him, he couldn’t bring himself to abandon someone so obviously defenseless to the mercies of the forest. He wasn’t so cold as one would think to leave someone to get picked off by some hungry beast. He’d regret it and to him he’d be just as bad as someone who had murdered her for surely she’d die without help. He just couldn’t do it and wouldn’t, he wasn’t that type of person.
Savitaire
Snake of many smiles

Character sheet

Postby Naeya on August 30th, 2012, 1:01 am

Naeya had her hand held out for about half a chime before she realized that the man was neither going to shake it nor answer her question. She blushed self-consciously and hastily dropped her arm back down to her side. Her eyebrows furrowed, perplexed at the man's silence. Had he changed his mind? Did he no longer wish to lead her to the city? She couldn't blame him, really. She was no one's responsibility but her own (though she couldn't help but think that if she knew the woods as well as he, she would help a lost stranger out). Or perhaps... perhaps he did not wish to promise that she would be safe with him.

A soft sigh from the Dhani man broke Naeya out of her own musings, and her green eyes met his grey as he spoke. The grin on his face seemed at odds with the sadness in his eyes and the hurt in his words. Had she hurt him with her request? A look of regret crossed her own face. She'd seen part of his past and, assuming that his future actions would be similar, understood that he would not harm her. She had only asked in order to be absolutely certain of her safety. A man with the sense of honour she'd seen in the Dhani would likely be hard put to break his word.

The Konti woman opened her mouth to respond to his words, but he continued to speak before she could reassure him of her trust. My people, he'd said. Naeya stared at him in surprise. How had he known that she'd figured out his Dhani nature? She hadn't said a word, nor implied it in any way. At least, she didn't think she had. She filed this question away in her mind to ask at a later time.

After the man had finished speaking, Naeya began. "I am very sorry if I offended you." She touched his shoulder lightly, reassuringly. Her face was grave, and she hoped he understood that her apology was heartfelt. "It's just that... as a woman alone in the forest, I can never be too careful." The Konti's words trailed off, though her implication remained. "You understand, I hope?"

She stepped a paced ahead of the tall Dhani, and turned her body to face his. "I do trust you. I hadn't realized how far I'd traveled until you came along, and I'm grateful for your help." Naeya offered him a smile, and waved a hand gently in front of her.

"Please. After you. I fear that I'll only lead us in circles!"
Naeya

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Savitaire on August 30th, 2012, 3:03 am

He watched her hand fall a bit confused, he didn’t quite understand the gesture, but ignored it since she didn’t say anything. “You didn’t offend me, very few things I think could end up doing so, so don’t worry. As for you leading us in circles? I’d have merely thought it a ploy to spend more time getting to know me, my name is Savitaire by the way.” He fell in step beside her, leading, but keeping to her pace “I met another like yourself, though you seem to have traveled more than she did. It’s not every day that I meet someone who knows what I am in so brief a time without me eventually saying something. Though I have told very few people… Mind if I ask what gave it away?”

He’d been working on mimicking others when it came to his pronunciations of his s’s. He didn’t quite think that was what it was, though he knew he needed more work. It didn’t take long to find the place he had mentioned, he walked to the bank kneeling and cupping water in his hands to take a long drink. He tossed his bag underneath a tree and it landed with a soft thump, his shirt followed as he dunked his head in to the cold water. Even though the weather was cooling off, summer still held reign in firm hands. The cool water felt good, he stood up shaking the water from his hair and then running a hand through his hair to get the wet locks out of his face. He sat down on a nearby rock letting the sun slowly dry his skin and hair as he watched Naeya quietly.

OOC:
Sorry the post is so small.
Last edited by Savitaire on September 6th, 2012, 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Savitaire
Snake of many smiles

Character sheet

Postby Naeya on September 5th, 2012, 6:14 pm

A ploy?

Disbelieving laughter escaped Naeya's lips as Savitaire spoke, an unplanned reprimand for his familiarity. The man certainly had gall, though it seemed to be gall mixed with conceit. In truth, she did want to get to know the Dhani better, but right now it was because of a selfish, intellectual curiousity rather than a friendly or romantic one. Why was he in the middle of the Bronze Wood, alone? How had he known she'd discovered his racial origins?

The latter query was soon answered. Savitaire's words confused her at first, as she had certainly never travelled far or frequently during her short lifetime. Syliras was the furthest she had ever been from home, though Alvadas had felt much more foreign to her than the human city. When he explained his own confusion at her knowledge of his race, however, she finally clued in. The man was assuming her awareness of his Dhani nature existed because of extensive travel experience, rather than her Divination gnosis. Naeya almost smiled at the assumption, as she could hardly tell a Dhani from a Drykas back in Riverfall.

After the man's question had been asked, the only sounds that could be heard were the chirping of birds and the crunching of branches underfoot. Naeya was silent as she mulled over her answer, glancing occasionally at Savitaire to guess at his impatience. She had purposely avoided mentioning her discovery, as sometimes her gnosis had the tendency to anger or upset others. It did, after all, expose past secrets, private moments, and information that many tried their best to forget. She owed him an explanation, however, and she was loathe to lie.

How can I expect truth from others if I do not give it myself?

Several chimes passed before the Konti spoke in a quiet, unassuming tone. "I have a gift, of sorts," she explained, eyes focused warily on the man walking next to her. "A gift from the Goddess Avalis. It allows me to See parts of the past." She paused momentarily, unsure if he was understanding. "To See parts of your past. This, not extensive travel, is how I learned of your snake form." A small, apologetic smile graced her lips as she finished speaking.

The trickling of a stream soon caught her attention, and Naeya followed her new acquaintance right to the bank. She knelt alongside him, sliding her pack off her shoulder so that she could reach her waterskin. As she dunked it, cap open, into the water, she couldn't help but glancing sideways at Savitaire who had confidently rid himself of his shirt. He was relaxed, carefree. He seemed to belong in the forest, amongst the water and the bronze-barked trees and the implicit dangers.

Savitaire had already finished washing himself in the creek and made his way over to a nearby rock, but Naeya didn't allow herself to enjoy the water just yet. There was still one final point to clear up. "How did you realize I knew you were Dhani?" she asked, twisting her kneeling form towards him and tilting her head inquisitively to the side.
Naeya

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Savitaire on September 16th, 2012, 5:29 am

Savitaire at first was quite surprised, but then was more curious than annoyed “Sounds pretty useful… So that was why you were staring at me like you were, I hope what you saw wasn’t bad? Can you control it?” Grey eyes studied her intently from where he sat “Your body language… It was the look in your eyes that spoke to me suggesting you knew me as more than just a man. I’ve seen that look before when I speak of what I am to those who know. Your caution when we first met was to be expected, but after you looked in to me, it changed. The fear…I cannot take pleasure in knowing you fear me, nor that anyone fears me, I don’t want to be a source of fear.”

He turned his head looking past her, the glittering of the water reflecting off his grey eyes. His expression was sad, it truly affected him deeply when he saw fear in people’s eyes directed at him. It was one thing to intimidate to defend one’s self, but another to see fear just because of what someone was. It was understandable considering his kinds reputation, but it didn’t make it any easier to deal with. “One gets tired of being attacked just because of what one is… All I want is to have people first see me as friendly, then see me for myself and then take in what I am, but…” He let his voice trail off with a shrug and a sigh. “So, these powers, are they common?”
Savitaire
Snake of many smiles

Character sheet

Next