Flashback The Day After

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

The Day After

Postby Tourmal Firemane on September 9th, 2012, 5:17 pm

Tourmal Winter 07, 509 AV

The days were chill and the nights near freezing. The weather was that of what drove men into the beds of women. Tourmal opened his eyes to a gray stone ceiling. He turned over, head still throbbing from the night before. Tourmal had started working the at the Iron Works the previous fall and often found his thirst to be too much for him to handle. He had not yet learned to take water breaks frequently, instead getting caught up in his work making horse shoes and shovel heads. Not satisfied with that he decided he would stay late working on his weaponsmithing. At the end of his shifts he would go to one of the local taverns scattered across the castle city, and not realizing that he needed water instead he would try to sate his thirst with ale.

As he turned over he saw flowers on the table near the hearth. Near the hearth! he thought I can't see the hearth from my bed?! I can, but … upon this realization he turned over to his left and there lay a brunette woman he only had vague recollections of the night before. Every movement he made caused his head to ache considerably. Curse you Sivah, Tourmal said under his breath, which he still tasted ale on. Just then the woman stirred rolled over and lay her arm across Tourmal.

Just great! Tourmal thought yelling at himself internally, now what do I do. Tourmal waited a few minutes until the lass' breathing returned to what seemed a normal sleeping pattern. Then he slowly slid her arm off of him, and slipped out of the cot. As his feet touched the stone floor a piercing chill ran throughout his body. Trying not to keep his feet on the floor too long he hopped alternating from one foot to the other while gathering his clothing, first starting with his undergarments which hung on the back of the chair next to the table with the vase of flowers. That's actually a nice arrangement she has there. Tourmal took a mental note to stay clear of the portion of the bazaar where flowers were sold.
Last edited by Tourmal Firemane on September 28th, 2012, 3:29 am, edited 3 times in total.
Tourmal Firemane
Player

Words: 178467
Joined roleplay: September 1st, 2012, 11:05 am
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

[Flashback] The Day After

Postby Tourmal Firemane on September 9th, 2012, 5:20 pm

As he got dressed he realized he was missing a sock. He looked everywhere hoping that he would find it soon. After searching the apartment for a about five chimes he decided to check where he dreaded it to be. As he walked closer to the bed he spotted it poking out from under the brunette's back side. Tourmal was mortified. He hated waking up with women, he found their incessant need to talk after an encounter as such to be troublesome. Yet why did he continue to find himself in this predicament. He figured that the god of celebration had it out for him trying to pull Tourmal out of his steel forged shell he had encased himself in.

Before Tourmal decided on weather to pull the sock from under the woman possibly waking her he thought to take a look at what he had unconsciously conquered the night before. Tourmal lifted the blanket getting a closer look at his conquest, just as he did so she turned over and shivered, then grabbed the blanket and pulled then tight around her body at the same time revealing her face. Tourmal was impressed at what he had accomplished the previous night. Not only did he bag a nice one last night, more likely than not she him, in the fleeting moment that she lay exposed, he had seen everything he needed to decide that maybe it would not be to bad to wake her up for his sock. Indeed Tourmal was so impressed that he thought to attempt to establish another midnight escapade with this one for later. But only if his attempt to retrieve his sock failed.

Tourmal quickly wrote his predicament and request on a note that read.

I'm sorry for leaving so early, I have to work today.
I have to admit I may have drank enough for a horse
to have forgotten what happened last night. Don't
take offense please had I been even slightly conscious
there is no way I would have not remembered
meeting a goddess such as yourself. I would like to
make it up to you tonight so I can give you the
attention one such as yourself deserves rather than
what I expect was a sloppy job on my part that I
presented you last night. If you are interested meet
me at the same place as last night two bells past
sundown not a tick later. I'll be waiting to repay my
debts.

Tourmal placed the note under the vase after taking out one of the most prevalent flowers laying it on the pillow that he had used that night. Then slid his hand under the blankets reaching for the sock. When he found what he was searching for he pulled it out from under her. Fortunately not waking her up, He never knew what to say after a night he didn't fully, or even partially remember. After putting on his sock and boot he threw on his cloak and stepped out of the apartment, when the realization came to him that he didn't know where he was. “I'm going to be late today.”
Last edited by Tourmal Firemane on September 20th, 2012, 6:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tourmal Firemane
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Tourmal Firemane on September 9th, 2012, 5:22 pm

After Tourmal successfully navigated his way outside head throbbing, the cold air bit him fiercely waking him completely. He then listened for the sound of horses to clue him into where Aurus was stabled. He had a hard time discerning where the sounds were coming from with his head feeling like Aurus had trampled all over it. He hoped that Aurus was fine and not too cold from the night chill. As he followed the sound of whinnies and the clip cloping of hooves on stone pavement he found himself at where Aurus was located. As he walked up to the Golden stallion he snorted disapprovingly, “I know boy”, Tourmal said trying to calm him, “I didn't intend for what happened last night. If I had I would have left you at home with your blanket and plenty of feed.” Tourmal removed the blanket from his back and handed a few SM to the stable master to give to whoever took care of Aurus.

After exiting the stables Tourmal mounted him and started with a light trot which was unpleasant to him though he continued in order to warm up Aurus' muscles increasing his speed till they were at a full gallop, “Hurry!” Tourmal yelled over the howling wind, “We need to make good time I'm late.” Ignoring the splitting pain he had subjected himself to. Aurus let out another snort, as if to say, it's not my fault. As they closed in on their destination Tourmal slowed his horse to a trot giving him time to slow his heartbeat before coming to a stop. This was something he had learned in Cyphrus from his father. He had always said that it is bad to run a horse without giving it a good cool down. When he arrived at The Ironworks he dropped Aurus off at the stables and payed the attendant a few SM asking him to give Aurus a short walk and a blanket because he had a full shift to work and would be staying late today. “Same as usual then Tourmal.” The man said. Tourmal chuckled “Yes I suppose you are right.”

Tourmal looked up at the giant building who's window's glowed from the forges inside. Another long day ahead of me. Just then he realized the idiocy of the decisions of the night before when he had to work the next morning. Tourmal dreaded what was to come as soon as he were to open the door to what would feel like eternal torment.
Last edited by Tourmal Firemane on September 20th, 2012, 6:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tourmal Firemane
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Tourmal Firemane on September 19th, 2012, 5:32 pm

Tourmal, Winter 07, 509V

Tourmal opened the door instantly slammed in the face by the racket of hammers hitting iron. “Petching head!” Tourmal swore under his breath. “I need some more water” Tourmal walked to his station, opened his chest and pulled out his water jug. Then he went back outside and filled it up at the spigot. While doing so he had a few gulps of the refreshingly cool water. Though he did not feel any relief from his pounding headache he knew that it's only cure would be time and water.

As he returned to his station he donned his leather apron and gloves walked over to the metal rack and grabbed a few bars of iron. After taking them to his anvil he placed all but on near his workbench and placed the last on it. An order of shovels had been placed the day before for the workers at the mines. Though Tourmal wished to increase his skill in weaponsmithing he would have to wait to do so on his own time. While he was working he would be forced to fill the mundane tasks of a common blacksmith.

Despite his aversion to being used as a blacksmith Tourmal knew that it would provide necessary practice in folding, drawing, shrinking, bending, and the like. All skills that transferred to making weapons. Tourmal prepped the fire he was to use, adding some coal to it and stoking the fire with the bellows. Once he saw the embers burning bright he took his piece of iron and shoved it in. He periodically worked the bellows and replenishing the water he had lost from the night before and was continuing to sweat here at work.
Last edited by Tourmal Firemane on September 20th, 2012, 6:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tourmal Firemane
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Tourmal Firemane on September 19th, 2012, 5:34 pm

Tourmal, Winter 07, 509 AV

When the Iron was a bright yellow Tourmal took out the piece with his tongs and lay the bright end on his anvil as if it were a nail. Hammer in hand he raised it and drove it down on the cool end pushing the metal into itself shortening the rod making it thicker on the opposing side. Each strike felt like his Srider was stomping on his head, but he continued on. As he did so the piece slowly got thicker and shorter. Once it reached its desired thickness the metal had cooled beyond the point of workability. Tourmal placed it back in the fires stoking it regularly, waiting for it to reach it's desired color.

Tourmal checked the metal and saw it would be a few more ticks so he took another gulp of water. As he did he realized that the headache he had before was not as bad as before. A nice relief but he still had a long way till the day was over and probably just as long till his head no longer pained him. When he returned to the fire he drew the shortened end from it and lay it on his anvil, on its side. As Tourmal hammered it flat drawing it into a crude rectangular shape he took note of what his old master had told him how to smooth it out using a wooden hammer wrapped in leather. That would come later. For now he would need to re-heat the metal and flatten the other side then bend it around a long metal rod for it to be fastened to a wooden handle later.

After flattening out the other end before bending around the rod the took his metal punch and punched a few holes into the end that would later be attached to the handle. Then reheated the hole piece for he put the finishing touches on the shovel head. After he was done he curved the sides of the shovel upward so it would hold a load easily. Then grabed a round rod and bend the top part around it aligning the holes that would be used to fasten the head to a handle later. After he was done with that he gave the shovel head a good wrap to knock loose the scale that had accumulated on the head while working it and gave it a light scrub with his metal brush. And layed it on his workbench.

Satisfied with his work he took hold of his jug and downed a pint of it making it empty. The water had warmed since he got it making it easier to drink. After it was empty he refilled it outside, returned to his station and started another shovel head.
Tourmal Firemane
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Tourmal Firemane on September 19th, 2012, 5:34 pm

By the end of his shift Tourmal had finished about fifteen shovel heads. His headache had all but completely disappeared. After he had finished one of the apprentices came over to collect Tourmal's portion of the order. He took them to be compiled with the rest that had been made that day. Tourmal estimated that the order would be filled with another days work. For now he would make use of the forge a few more hours to work on making weapons.

As Tourmal thought of what to make his mind wandered off to the brunette he had spent the night with. He wondered if she would show or not, hopefully he left a decent enough impression having laid the flower on her pillow was a stroke of genius. He smiled recounting on his decision to do so giving himself well deserved praise. The woman's figure was impressive, her curves soft yet pronounced and the curls in her hair formed around her face framing it like a masterwork painting should be. He did not know what color her eyes were, no matter he thought there is no way for them to detract from the rest of her. Just then he knew what he would make.

A flametongue! Inspired by the curves of the woman Tourmal decided that he would make a dagger as sexy as his fling from last night. The only problem was that he had never made one before. Its just a dagger with curves he thought how hard could it be. He walked over to the rack and grabbed short bar of iron he would use for his next project. As Tourmal stood there, He looked at the metal and wished he had skill enough to work steel. This will have to suffice for now.
Tourmal Firemane
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Tourmal Firemane on September 19th, 2012, 5:37 pm

Tourmal again readied his fire shoveling in some more coal, less than before but enough to last through his next creation. After working the bellows he placed his newly acquired piece of iron in the fire and waited for it to heat to the proper temperature. As he sat waiting he drank from his jug and reflected on the curves of the mysterious woman from that morning. As he thought his face flushed in anticipation of the night to come.

He retracted the iron rod from the fire and layed it on his avil and began drawing it out with repetitive strikes to the glowing metal. As he did he turned it over back and forth striking it to taper the edges, and doing likewise to the end to create a pointed tip. By then the metal had cooled and became hard to work so he reheated it until it was bright yellow again.

Next he tried to work the multiple curves into the blade, which proved harder than he expected. Tourmal first tried to work each bend all at once. After seeing the result with his blade looking bent and jagged rather than smooth and curvacious. He reheated it and tried the curves one by one starting at the base. As the Drykas worked the metal slowly bending the metal one way then the other while simultaneously flipping the blade from one side to the other so that neither side ended flat. After the first curve he was forced to place the blade back into the fire.

Tourmal had not put as much effort into any of his attempts at weapons before this one. He wondered why that was the case. For whatever reason it was he felt more for this project of his than the previous ones. When the metal heated up he continued his efforts to bend the blade into shape. Striking, turning, striking, turning, the continual ping of his hammer striking iron put him in a trance like state and before he knew it he had put an additional two bends into the blade finishing its shape.
Tourmal Firemane
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Tourmal Firemane on September 19th, 2012, 5:38 pm

When he was finished he looked at the end result. Though it was a little crude, the curves represented those of the woman they were intended to. Starting at the base of the blade with the largest curve representing her hips curving inward as her waist did, back out again following the natural lines of her bosom. Of all the weapons he had made, he was most proud of this one. He then took his new flametongue blade and plunged it into the barrel of water that was next to his anvil. Once the blade was cooled he rapped it against his anvil knocking the scale loose then gave the blade a good brushing giving the metal a light polish.

After-wards he placed his un-sharpened blade in his chest and would search for a proper hilt and pommel for it later. For now the man needed a quick wash before heading back to the tavern. Tourmal quickly tidied up his area, after drinking the rest of his water, by putting everything back in their place and locking his chest. After donning his cloak he proceeded out the door to fetch his mount and head home in preparation of the night ahead.
Tourmal Firemane
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Accolade on September 22nd, 2012, 9:19 pm

Tourmal Firemane

Experience
Skill XP Earned
Riding + 1 XP
Weaponsmithing + 2 XP
Blacksmithing + 2 XP
Stealth + 1 XP
Observation + 1 XP

Lores
Lore Earned
Hangover: Effects of a wild night
A quick letter: Making a date for round 2
A stealthy escape: Leaving while your conquest is asleep.
The Ironworks: Putting in a hard days work.

Notes :
Ok nice thread there. This was my first time grading a thread for blacksmithing and such, but I think I was fair. From my view it was a nice job, though I'm no expert on smithing. I was also going to award you the dagger, but I'll wait until you complete it..unless you want to be awarded it as it is? But yea good job!

The Sylir has spoken
If you have any questions or concerns regarding your grade, please send me a PM and we can figure it out. :)

Accolade
The Journey begins here...

Words: 307037
Joined roleplay: August 24th, 2012, 12:45 am
Race: Staff account
Office
Medals: 3
Featured Contributor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Trash Medal (1)