(Flashback) Rematch at Kendoka Sasaran (Rykanis)

Rykanis and Imass have their second spar a fortnight after their first encounter.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

Postby Imass on July 10th, 2012, 1:23 am

Imass made contact with his opponent and tried to push him into someone else. The plan would have worked if Rykanis tried to backpedal in defense, but instead his opponent brought the match to the floor. The boy suddenly got the feeling that Dakshata had intentionally went to the floor with Imass to test their wrestling skills. Imass was devastated for he did not know any real moves. This was surely the end of the match for the young boy.

In reality, his opponent was caught off guard and just toppled under Imass. The youngster was having problems comprehending these details as he was dazed and confused by Rykanis' brutal knock to the dome. He felt Rykanis try to push Imass off of himself and was calling out for a break in the duel. Imass willfully rolled off his opponent the moment he comprehended this fact. He wanted to stop too because he was still seeing stars. He laid on the floor and stared at the ceiling of Kendoka Sasaran as Rykanis stood up and caught his breath.

After a few seconds or more, Imass finally sat up and looked at Rykanis. He ran his hand through his head, "I don't think it is cracked. There is a small bump and I am dizzy. I think I will feel better soon," Imass would still allow Rykanis to look at his head even though he was confident he would be alright. He already felt it getting better.

"Give me a moment and I will be ready to continue the spar," the naive boy said.
Imass
Veteran of the Sahova Campaign

Words: 431651
Joined roleplay: June 19th, 2012, 4:35 am
Race: Akalak
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Thread (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1)

Postby Rykanis Dakshata on July 10th, 2012, 11:24 pm

Once Imass was off of him, Rykanis got back to his feet, stretching out, and shaking the hit off. Having a Akalak come charging at you, and end up on you, even one not yet full grown, was not pleasant.

Considering he was also pretty big though, it was not as bad if he had say been human, or some other lesser race. Or Akajia forbid, one of those races with bones like glass. Ha, they would have been left a pulpy stain on the floor.

Rykanis bent down to check the mans head. It did not seem to be bleeding, and nothing was leaking out... His cursory medical inspection, or lack thereof, did not really do much. He had heard of people getting addled by being struck in the head, and tried to recall what he had been told to do...

"Alright... What is my name, what is your name... What year were you born in... And how many fingers am I holding up?"

That seemed a good enough, test, as he held up three of his fingers, for Imass to see. Hopefully if he could answer all of that, he was sufficiently okay to battle on.

"Whew, we do fight like dogs at scraps don't we? I quite enjoy our battles. Perhaps one day, we will both be good enough to use real lakans. Perhaps if you train enough, once you are full grown."

Rykanis would smile at the Akalak, stretching out his arms behind his back, and gazing at his partner.

"Whenever you are ready."
-You can't truly appreciate the light, until you spend some time experiencing darkness...

-The more you know, the more you learn how little you truly know, and how much there is left to learn.

-Only when you truly understand the darkness, will you not fear it.
Rykanis Dakshata
Player

Words: 248966
Joined roleplay: March 21st, 2012, 2:10 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Imass on July 11th, 2012, 4:35 pm

Imass sat still and controlled his breathing as his partner inspected his head. The older Akalak scanned his head a couple of times then stepped back. The boy looked back at Rykanis and rested his hand over his head. His vision was beginning to get better; the stars were slowly starting to disappear. The confusion and cloudiness began to lift, but the headache continued.

The youngster paused for a second then responded to Rykanis' questions with precision, "You are known as Rykanis. I am known as Imass. I was born in Four-seventy-nine," Imass had to pause for a minute and concentrate on Rykanis' fingers. Squinting he was able vaguely make out the number he was holding, "Three," Imass was correct but he still needed a minute to regain his normal status quo.

By now Imass had caught his breath and was no longer sweating, only glistening in moisture. He peered around the room known as Kendoka Sasaran. No one was looking at them, everyone was training still. This little knock to the head meant nothing to them. The Akalak's trained hard and tough. Imass could now clearly see the warrior mentality of his race here. This meant that he could not give up. It meant that he would have to train harder than ever.

"Yes indeed," Imass responded, "It is my goal to be a strong hunter and proud warrior of Riverfall. I am really enjoying this duel. I have been learning so much. What was with that move you did earlier? You leap out in front of me and suddenly appeared behind me. It happened so fast I did not know what to do."

Imass would hear out any words Rykanis said, then he would stand up and regain his footing. He still had a headache, but his vision returned to normal. Taking in a deep breath, he armed himself and got into the basic stance. He turned his right arm and shoulder to Rykanis and held his off hand out in front of him. This way he would approach Rykanis sideways.

The boy nodded at his superior and took another breath. Imass charged forward and slashed at Rykanis' midsection. Regardless of the resolution of the attack, Imass would chain his strike with another one coming back the opposite way he initially slashed.
Imass

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Rykanis Dakshata on July 13th, 2012, 5:45 pm

See how Rykanis did that? He sneaked in a question without even meaning to, gathering information as always. His other smiled inwardly, filing away the information for later. The year of the Akalaks birth, it was not exactly a closely guarded secret, but who knew what it could lead to... The more pertinent thing was how easily he gave away info, when he had recently been struck in the head.

Of course, he could not just go around knocking him in the head till he really did have a head injury, that would be to obvious. But perhaps in the future, a time would arise when he could use this tidbit of info.

"When I leaped out in front of you, and appeared behind? Could you explain that a bit more, I am not sure to what you are referring..."

Rykanis dug through his memory of the fight, trying to recall... It sounded like Imass was claiming he had simply stepped through the air to end up in another spot... Or perhaps he was referring to some fighting move he had used? He could not recall one though which that description would fit...

Then the fight was restarted as Imass got up and prepared himself. Rykanis also got prepared, dropping into a lower stance, and bringing his arms into position to protect his body.

The first slash came at Rykanis, and he blocked it with his weapon, then taking a step back. He pulled back his chest, just in time, to avoid the second reversed one.

Then he was at the offensive. He planted his foot strongly as a base, and took a forward step with his other as he stabbed at Imass' hip, followed by a slash at his side.

Then he would pull back, making a light kick at his chest, to push him back, followed by taking a step back to his starting position.
-You can't truly appreciate the light, until you spend some time experiencing darkness...

-The more you know, the more you learn how little you truly know, and how much there is left to learn.

Rykanis Dakshata
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Imass on July 15th, 2012, 3:43 am

Rykanis expertly blocked the measly strike, but he wasn't as prepared for the counterattack. Rykanis needed to backpedal out of Imass' swing, lest his chest get hit. The boy Akalak grinned wildly; perhaps Rykanis was getting weaker as the battle continued. However, Rykanis was actually just getting ready to counterattack. Planting his feet firmly into the floor, he took a step into Imass stabbing at his hip.

Imass knew what to do, but failed in execution. In reaction to the hip stab, he flipped his hips and shoulders in attempt to dodge. His mistake was that he did not step into the dodge, so he failed miserably and got hit in the hip instead. Onto of it all, the moment that Rykanis hit him, the youngster stopped everything. For some random unexplainable reason Imass found himself stopping. He had given up for a single bout, just as he had done in the first sparring session.

The second slash hit him in the side as he just stood there awkwardly. The mighty blow woke him back up though and instead of resetting his footwork, the young Akalak just jumped towards Rykanis regardless of the consequences. Imass was running on instinct now. The older fighter would just pull back, using a kick to slow Imass down.

After another moment, the two found themselves back in their starting positions. Imass did not take a moment to breathe before he attacked again. He was pumped up on adrenaline and was not thinking about the severe physical pain enamating from his hip. He knew it was going to start hurting soon enough, but for now it just felt wobbly.

Switching blade hand, Imass slashed with a long wide arc aimed at Rykanis' neck and followed by the full out swing of his barreled right fist. Imass would then slash again with his blade after the jab.
Imass

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Rykanis Dakshata on July 15th, 2012, 4:57 am

Rykanis seemed to have lucked out, striking a direct hit to the Akalaks hip, perhaps having caught him off guard... And after that, his slash to Imass' side also worked. Two in a row, what were the odds of both hitting?

His final blow, of a kick, sort of worked, offsetting him a bit, but not stopping him. But soon enough, he was being attacked once more.

Seeing the blade coming at his neck, Rykanis acted the only way he could at such close range, he moved to dodge it, leaning back, just barely missing it.

But unfortunately, this leaning back had set him a bit off balance, losing him his footing. He was unable to do much in regard to the next blow, a punch. The punch landed directly on his chest, about a foot below his neck, so hitting pretty squarely.

The blow was enough to set Rykanis' already unstable form off, knocking him off his feet and to the ground, to land on his back. He tried to control it, to land on his shoulder, and do a backward roll, but ended up doing more of a flop, and slamming onto his side at an angle.

Coughing, Rykanis held up one hand as a motion for Imass to stop. That last one had winded him pretty good, and he gulped at the air, trying to regain his normal breathing.

"Perhaps... Perhaps that is a good place to leave it off... We both have fought plenty... As it is, I am sure... We will both be bruised and stiff in the morning..."

Rykanis would have a smile come to his face, not really upset about that fact, laying on the ground and looking at Imass. After a moment, he would get back to his feet, and face his partner.

"That was a good fight... I look forward to facing you again in the future."

Rykanis Dakshata
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Imass on July 15th, 2012, 3:50 pm

Imass' punch landed squarely on Rykanis' chest. It naturally felt good to land a good punch, but that the same time the Akalak did not want to hurt his friend. He striked hard, but not with all his force. He wanted his sparring partner to recover in a matter of a couple good night rests, not fortnights. Regardless, Imass had no idea how bad he had hurt him.

Sliding two feet back the boy re-set his stance and waited for Rykanis to get up after his tumble. Imass was breathing loud and fast. His adrenaline was up and his heart rate was extremely fast. He was gleaming in a layer of sweat. He was already extremely tired. The one thing he needed to work on was stamina. He realized right then and there that he was getting exhausted way too fast. He needed to do extra stamina drills.

When Rykanis suggested to quit, Imass nodded in agreement then dropped his lakan. He dropped his shoulders and his stance and plopped to the floor with his partner, "It was a great duel. You are a very good Lakanist. I admire your skill. I wish for you to come over to my house and break bread with my Father and I. I am sure he would like to meet you. We can discuss Lakan technique at the fire side. What do you say Rykanis?"

Imass hoped that his new-found sparring partner would accept his offer for friendship.
Imass

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Rykanis Dakshata on July 16th, 2012, 9:41 pm

Rykanis stood facing Imass, his breathing slowly returning to normal. It had been a tough fight, fueled by both of their indomitable spirits. He smiled at him, before replying, wiping a bit of sweat off his brow, and out of his hair.

"Thank you, you are not half bad either..." He answered, teasingly, giving Imass another grin, maybe receiving a playful pop to the leg or shoulder in reply, depending on how playful Imass was feeling, or if he took it personally, or what part of him was in range of the youth.

"I suppose so, that seems like it would be interesting. Though are you offering to go right now, or at a later date? I am not sure if now would be good, since we are all sweaty and bruised and mussed up. Otherwise, it sounds fine."

Rykanis stood there for a moment, stretching out, working to keep flexible so he did not lock up, doing a back bend and leaning back as far as he could at the waist, without bending his knees... Which was not to far... He needed to work a bit more on his flexibility. Though he did feel something which had been tensed, pop, giving a bit of relief. He was going to be sore regardless soon enough.

"What does your father do? Is he skilled in fighting?"

Rykanis asked, as he headed over to put away his training lakan back on the rack, his real one still held in its sheath. Things were wrapping up, and he wanted to get home and cleaned up.

Rykanis Dakshata
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Imass on July 17th, 2012, 5:12 am

Imass followed Rykanis to the weapon rack and put his own wooden Lakan up too. He turned to his partner and placed his hands at his hips. His face was beaming, "My father is a weaponsmithy. He is a skilled fighter, but now he is no warrior...anymore. He used to be a talented warrior," Imass made up this last part about his father being an amazing warrior. He didn't want Rykanis to think that he father was weak. Truth was his father did not care much for the martial arts. He was a metal smith first.

"Let us meet at my home in seven days at sundown." Imass said in conclusion, "I am looking forward to hosting you, my friend." Imass looked up to Rykanis and he considered him a friend already. However, Rykanis might have thought differently.

"This is where we part ways again! See you soon!" Imass took off from the dojo to tell his father his plans immediately.
Imass

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Gossamer on October 2nd, 2012, 3:32 pm

Character: Imass
Experience: Lakan + 5, Observation + 5, Brawling +3, Unarmed Combat +4, Planning + 2,
Lore: The Importance of the Warmup. Battle Anticipation: A Good Well-Matched Opponent. Countering Opposing Lakans, Utilizing Leg Sweeps In Combat, Knowing When To Dodge And Knowing When To Absorb A Blow, Studying An Opponent While Facing Them, Seeing Stars During Head Trauma, The Art of Charging An Opponent, Not Being Where Your Opponent Anticipates, Offering Invites Home to admirable people.

Also, your PC witnessed Nightstalking first hand, but since Rykanis didn't explain it or do it where Imass could really see what happened clearly, there was no real lore forthcoming.

Character: Rykanis
Experience: Lakan + 5, Acrobatics +3, Brawling +2, Unarmed Combat +3, Observation +5
Lore: Opening A Fight By Sneaking Up On An Opponent, Combining mixed martial arts with Lakan, Avoiding An Opponent’s Blade, Punching with the Unarmed Hand While Swinging With The Armed One, Taking Advantage of Body Positioning In A Fight, Studying An Opponent While Facing Them, Knowing When To Stop A Fight, Administering the “How Many Fingers Am I Holding Up?” test, How To Deal With Bad Footing In Battle,

Additional Note: You boys play rough! What can I say. Nice fight. Great techniques, lovely example thread.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Previous