World Spins Madly On

(Duvalyon)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The Diamond of Kalea is located on Kalea's extreme west coast and called as such because its completely made of a crystalline substance called Skyglass. Home of the Alvina of the Stars, cultural mecca of knowledge seekers, and rife with Ethaefal, this remote city shimmers with its own unique light.

World Spins Madly On

Postby Laszlo on October 15th, 2012, 4:48 am

But what I offer is stable. It was said so plainly that Laszlo nearly felt like laughing. Duvalyon was right, of course. His sister's family was stable and Laszlo was not.

Abalia had held such visions of her Ethaefal's future. The lonely father, holed away with his tiny family in some beautiful corner of Kalea's diamond city. Their daughter would grow happily under Laszlo's protection, raised and nurtured with all the love and companionship her mother never knew. Laszlo had given these dreams the same regard as her eventual death: far away into the future and barely fathomable.

Though he now had the child in his arms, Laszlo still had a difficult time seeing the future from this moment.

Duvalyon had said something profound, but the Ethaefal was struggling to process what he truly meant. Carefully wrapped in a wry insult, the medic had acknowledged that his family would be indefinitely tied to the Ethaefal, potentially for generations. Laszlo was unsure what to think of it. This would have to be contemplated later and over the course of days.

It was all for the child. Everything was now. He had to remember that.

The room fell quiet as Laszlo slowly worked through his thoughts, offering Duvalyon no immediate replies. Fatigue settled back into Laszlo's heavy frame, reminding him that it was only a few hours to sunrise and he had barely slept.

"It would be nice for her," he said finally, revealing his concession, "to have family." Laszlo wasn't sure he had ever spoken two words to Duvalyon's sister, but the medic seemed fond of her. That was either reassuring or ominous.

Although Laszlo wasn't certain he'd actually reached a decision, he could at least trust that Duvalyon—who owned a clear head—would have the better judgment in this case. "We shouldn't wait much longer, then. It'll be snowing soon. The Unforgiving is aptly named," he added bitterly.

He rose from his chair, drifting into dimmer portion of the room for the infant's sake. "I can make some arrangements tomorrow." A task made far easier by his dayside visage.

Laszlo leaned against the wall, adjacent to the window, then picked at a fallen corner of his daughter's blanket and folded it back over her. "That solves the riddle of your second name, doesn't it?"
In the daytime I am one of Syna's fallen.
At night, I am Symenestra.
Laszlo
Team Imass!

Words: 635811
Joined roleplay: September 3rd, 2011, 3:36 am
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 5
Featured Character (1) Artist (1)
Overlored (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)
2011 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

World Spins Madly On

Postby Duvalyon Hellebore on October 16th, 2012, 4:22 am

Duvalyon said nothing more, merely nodded. He wasn't going to press for a clearer answer at third bell. The scales seemed in his favor though. All that was needed was a soft slope of reason for Laszlo to tread down until the child was in Kalinor. It was a selfish and wise outcome. His dwindling race would benefit from another member and she would be raised amongst her own, without the veil of spite the outer world would lay on her. The relative reverence shown her father would never twist shame through her feminine heart. Instead, she would be revered and shown the intricate tapestry of her people's history.

This was the vision that first chained Duvalyon to the starry peaks.

"I will help you Laszlo. If you still ask me to, but do not expect my motivations to match your own." he had said seasons ago.

When Laszlo visited wielding a combination of insults and pleading, the medic had felt the ties of blood cinch. Through chance and divinely inspired pity, the Ethaefal had become a part of Duvalyon's community. This sense of responsibility had prompted him to help, but it was the promise of a child for his people that made him resolute beyond reason. It made him walk upright with Azo instead of gliding through streets. It made him earn a living aiding men who would deftly ram a katana through any of his brothers' guts. It made him hide his fangs out of courtesy and smirk when he wanted to sneer.

But somewhere in the middle of his farce, the lights of Lhavit became more bearable, and the Symenestra lost sight of his role's artificial borders. The Ethaefal had earned a measure of acceptance, so Duvalyon didn't bristle with cool contempt at his occasional adoption of the race. Pain had weaved Laszlo's cord into Kalinor, enough suffering to make him wish he had never laid eyes on the floating city.

Duvalyon wondered what he would do if Laszlo chose to keep the child. Perhaps it was the bell, but the idea didn’t fill him with the rage he expected.

"I'm going back to bed," he announced uncurling from the floor, "If you're staying up with her, you can put her back."
Duvalyon Hellebore
Team Wrenmae. Bad guys unite.

Words: 141574
Joined roleplay: June 10th, 2009, 11:11 pm
Race: Symenestra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) Donor (1)

World Spins Madly On

Postby Laszlo on October 16th, 2012, 10:36 am

"Hn." It was almost a reply. Actual words had risen in his head, more questions, desires for reassurance, doubts that needed voicing, but Duvalyon had become very skilled at avoiding all of these before they could enter the room. Or perhaps Laszlo, by some miracle, had learned to shut up at the right time.

A tarnished amethyst gaze followed Duvalyon across the room until he was out of sight again. Laszlo was alone with his Symenestra infant for the first time he could remember. Her would-be uncle was only a room away, but she had always been under his supervision. There was something very wrong with that, the fact that Duvalyon was acting the parent more than her own father. It was a matter of experience, yes, as well as the compromising circumstances, but…

"Sorry," he told his daughter quietly, once again studying the scratch she left near her eye. It had evoked such an instant reaction from him. "I know I'm not very good at this. I'll work on it. I promise."

She was back in Duvalyon's care again by morning. Laszlo had managed sleep in increments, and then left by the afternoon to make good on his word and arrange safe travel to Kalinor for the two Symenestra.

Even as a Syna-touched Ethaefal, it took some mild convincing, and by the time he got home he couldn't even remember whether he had used hypnotism or not. Ultimately, the deal ended in the removal of a Widow from their city, so an understanding was reached. The guides would need time to prepare.

Less than a fortnight would pass before it was time for her to leave. Laszlo had not argued for his case as the girl's rightful father. Everything had already been decided around him, and he no longer had the will to fight the inevitable. He was slowly falling back into old rhythms and becoming something more recognizable from a puddle on the ground, but he had completely surrendered to what Duvalyon wanted. Two weeks wasn't enough time to gather himself up and make a difficult decision.

The door to Laszlo's room latched shut, and suddenly he was standing in the hallway. He felt as if someone had thrown him up in the air, and he was waiting for the moment when he'd start to fall again.

"They're, um." He entered the sitting room, and though the curtains were drawn, he managed to catch the one tiny strip of light coming in through the window. "They're expecting you soon. Is there anything you need from me?" He glanced around the room. "Where is she?"
Laszlo
Team Imass!

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

World Spins Madly On

Postby Duvalyon Hellebore on October 17th, 2012, 3:33 am

Duvalyon was laying the last piece of light, carapace armor on his forearm when Laszlo emerged from his lair. It had been a season since the Symenestra openly wore the costume of his people without obscuring layers. The process was half-memorized but still required a guiding eye, so he didn't look up as he answered.
"In the cradle. Wrapped better than I."
The Symenestra lifted his head, reconsidering the entirety of what Laszlo said. He took one glance at the Ethaefal and delivered a neat swear.

"Shyke, Laszlo."

He swayed a finger's width to look beyond the Ethaefal and saw precisely what he feared: nothing. No pack, no bedroll, Laszlo wasn't even wearing boots.
"I don't care how incompetent you are. You pack your own gods damned bag."
Duvalyon Hellebore

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

World Spins Madly On

Postby Laszlo on October 17th, 2012, 7:57 pm

"I don't… what?" Laszlo initially looked perplexed. His first thought was dull. What would I need a bag for?

And then realization. As usual, Laszlo had missed something important.

Duvalyon had been expecting Laszlo to return to Kalinor with him and the child. They had both discussed the idea of traveling back through the Unforgiving carrying an infant girl, but each had different ideas in mind about how that was going to happen. Suddenly, all the things Duvalyon had explained that seemed to only partially make sense became very clear.

It seemed fair to him that he should go. Laszlo had not really considered it before, everything the journey back would involve. Traveling was no simple matter. How could he have expected the medic to do all the work of protecting his daughter in the wilderness?

"Wait." Laszlo rubbed at his forehead, smoothing away embarrassment and rising frustration. It took a moment for him to muster a forgotten sense of patience. If he were speaking to anyone but Duvalyon Hellebore, he might have gotten angry. "I didn't know I was going with you. I haven't even… How can I even go back to Kalinor? They'd…"

Nothing you can say, Laszlo.

He sighed and turned around. "I'll get my things."
Laszlo
Team Imass!

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

World Spins Madly On

Postby Duvalyon Hellebore on October 21st, 2012, 7:54 pm

Didn't know? Duvalyon wasn't an example of rivers of kindness, but he wasn't going to take the man's child without some sort of ritual between the parents. Blood and its binds were sacred on all forms. There were principles and protocol tied up in this somewhere and he was going to observe them.

When Laszlo approached some semblance of preparation, Duvalyon was already laden with his things and a sling for the child. He loathed wearing it, and tried to make it appear like one more burden slung across him. Only when the child fussed did the lucky illusion shatter. He was grateful they were leaving the city and only the guides had to witness this.
Duvalyon Hellebore

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

World Spins Madly On

Postby Laszlo on October 22nd, 2012, 6:02 am

He had some time to think, the Ethaefal, as he was circling his room and plucking essentials from his wardrobe and haphazard piles on the floor. After making arrangements for his daughter and Duvalyon to travel back to Lhavit, he thought he'd be saying his goodbyes here in the shining city. After they left, Laszlo would be left to sit in his sorrow here in his empty apartment. Seemed like it would be fairly straight forward, proper grieving.

Now he had an entirely new moment to build up for, and a different color of sorrow to anticipate. Was Duvalyon actually going to let Laszlo in the same room as his family? Surely not.

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry, sorry." Laszlo reappeared in the main room, unloading his things onto the floor and rushing to where he'd hung his cloak. The article flew about him in a whirling flourish before settling on his shoulders. The hood caught on one of his horns and he fussed for a moment to pull it off, then scratched at his chin. "Gods, wish I had time to shave this off. Won't matter by nightfall, I suppose."

He returned to his packed things on the floor and began the process of applying them to his person. "If they're miffed because we're late, let me smile winningly or something to placate them before you say anything." The medic knew better than to burn his bridges before he crossed them, so the request was moot. If Laszlo were in a calmer state of mind, he would have kept his tongue wisely locked behind his teeth.

Laszlo paused for a moment to spare a look at his daughter, happily tucked away at Duvalyon's side within a sling. Something happened behind his eyes as he tightened his brow in thought. "I had thought this was the last I would see of Ava for a while. I had lines planned and everything." After a quiet sigh, he returned to the task at hand. A quiet moment passed as he tried to concentrate on what he was doing. "That's… her name, by the way," he continued without looking up. "Part of it. Avalyon, in full. Suppose it's not the most… feminine, but Abalia wanted to have a hand in choosing before she… well, it was decidedly neutral so…"

He straightened, clearing his throat as he rubbed at his forehead. Though he faced the medic, he couldn't seem to look Duvalyon in the eye. "Shall we?"
Laszlo
Team Imass!

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

World Spins Madly On

Postby Duvalyon Hellebore on October 29th, 2012, 11:03 pm

"Avalyon?" he repeated the name with genuine surprise. The expression made him look extraordinarily young, like he was still capable of being moved. The fact Abalia helped choose it astonished him most.
"It's a horrible name," he said flatly, his wide eyes narrowing. There was the Duvalyon Laszlo recognized. "May she overcome it."

When the Symenestra passed him out the door, he might have been wearing something like a self-satisfied smile. It was probably a trick of the light.
Duvalyon Hellebore

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Previous