[The Sanctuary] Even The Bees (Pt 5).

Kavala finally gets to work with live bees and bring some home.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

Postby Kavala on November 18th, 2012, 3:06 am

Timestamp: 74th of Fall, 512 AV

Continued from: The Gods Made Them All

Collin smiled at Kavala. “You seem to really be enjoying them. I figured you’d be afraid. Most people don’t want to get stung.” He admitted, looking the Konti over. He hadn’t seen her around before, but her pavi had him slightly confused. “Are you Drykas?” He asked, looking thoughtful.

“Yes, Denusk Pavilion, Sapphire Clan. My mother was a healer and came to the Grasslands on her call. She did fantastically well there, despite being away from the sea. She came because there was a sickness among my family’s horses. In fact it was back no more than ten years ago… all the Drykas horses were affected. She cured it. She was a Marked Rak’Keli healer of the Opal Order. I’ve followed in her footsteps.” Kavala said, lifting her leathers at the pantleg and showing him her Rak’Keli’s mark. “I don’t fear the stings because I can remove the pain if need be. I hope to minimize getting stung though by just learning about the bees. There’s nothing like first hand knowledge however. I’ve been reading too much from a book and not getting any first hand experience.” She confessed.

The Drykas beekeeper nodded. “It’s okay. I like it that you’ve researched ahead. You ask good questions because of it. Most people come out here with limited knowledge and don’t even know what to ask before they go home. Its good to have some information so you can know what you lack and what gaps you have that need to be filled in.” He added. Leaving the captured hive where it was, Collin lead Kavala around his office and out back where a line of beehives stood in the sun.

“Here we are. We’re going to learn basically everything you need to know to handle the bees first hand. I’m going to take you through getting your safety gear fitted and then we’re going to inspect the hives. Once we do that, we’ll talk about splitting the hives and then I’ll go over how you can introduce your bees to your new hives and keep them there. I’ll send you some loaded brood frames and some honey frames home with you too or at least send them over in a wagon and you can send me your blank extra frames back. That will keep the bees in the hive longer and let you get them settled.” He added.

“But that’s for tomorrow. For today, lets get you in your gear.” He said, gesturing to as small table near the hive that held his equipment. Kavala put her equipment bad down beside the table and unloaded hers as well. She put her hat on with the veil and then slipped her gloves on. Collin showed her how to secure the veil down around her head and shoulders, and then checked her gloves to make sure the cuffs were tight so no bees could climb into the gap between her wrist and the leather. One she was suited up protectively to his specifications, he handed her the smoker, some tinder, and a flint and steel.

Kavala dutifully struck the steel, lit the tinder and then used a small set of tongs to put the tinder in the smoker body and lightly pack it (remembering her lessons from earlier) with enough materials to keep it lit. Collin checked her work, nodded, and then together they walked to the nearest hive in a row of two or three dozen.

“The first thing you need to think about is weather conditions. Don’t inspect on bad days. You don’t want to disturb the hive. Pick a day that’s nice, sunny and early on… right around the tenth bell or a little later. You want that time because the foragers will be out foraging and not at home defending. Never work with them when its chilly outside or on a cloudy day. Always wait for bright sun. They are remarkably more calm when you do.” He added, looking at the Konti to make sure she understood.

Kavala nodded.

“Wear bright clothing, white if you have it, and keep the perfumes and body odor down. Be clean when you work with them but not scented. Don’t wash your hair before working with them. I don’t care what sort of shampoo you use, it will still smell to the bees.” Collin warned.

“Got it. That’s so good to know. When I read about the light clothing and cloudy days it was hard to believe. But I do believe it. Thank you for the warning.” Kavala said, watching everything the beekeeper did.

Kavala kept listening and the beekeeper kept talking. “Always approach the hive with your hive tool, your lit smoker and all your gear on Kavala. Don’t forget anything. And as you approach it, don’t stand in front of it. You’re blocking the flight path of the bees and they get confused coming and going and will often land on you rather than the hive. Instead, stand in the back of the hive. That’s another thing too, Lady. Make sure when you are placing your hives at your facility for the first time you consider that someone will be standing behind them working on them. So give them enough room to let someone walk comfortably around the hive. Never place them against a wall or even in a spot that can get shaded. You want them out where you can really work on them.” He added.

Kavala nodded, making a mental note and already plotting where her next hives were going to be. But Collin chuckled, catching her attention, and then she blushed, realizing she was still holding the smoker. She handed it to Collin, realizing he was gesturing for her to hand it to him.

“Always smoke your hive. Never even consider touching it, unless it’s a swarm, until you smoke it. It does no good to smoke a swarm because they are already full and have nothing to feed on. Smoking a hive makes them hungry and they’ll start calmly feeding and ignoring what your doing as a beekeeper.”
Collin said, explaining. Then, slowly, he demonstrated the process of smoking a hive.

He blew three puffs with the smoker into the front of the hive. It seemed to cover the entrances and calm the bees that were there covering the entrances. These were workers masquerading as hive guards. He explained carefully that the smoke would drift up and in two or three chimes the smoke would have calmed the bees and got them to start eating on honey. Once the three minutes were up, Collin moved to the top of the hive and removed the top cover. He had to use the prybar part of the hive tool as the bees had glued the cover on with propolis.

Once the cover was displaced, he pried up the second layer just a little and smoked the inside top cover. Once he did that he dropped it back down and waited a minute o two. Then he removed the top cover again, this time catching the inner cover and lifting that as well. Once he did that, he blew more smoke up and across letting it cascade around the bees on the upper supers.

“Sometimes bees will hang out on the walls and between the inner and outer covers slacking off from their work, I suspect.”
Collin said with a twinkle. “I smoke them for extra measure too because they can be really aggressive if they think the hive is being invaded.” Collin explained.

Next he pried the inner cover up and blew more smoke inside. He waited again, then removed the whole top of the hive. He blew smoke down into the frames keeping the bees calm.

“That’s it. Now we’re in the active hive and they aren’t upset.”
He said, chuckling. Kavala looked amazed. “Now what? Inspection?” Collin nodded.
Last edited by Kavala on November 18th, 2012, 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Sanctuary The Sanctuary Forum Riverfall The Cytali
Reverie Isle Wolf Creek Training Course
Please Note:
  • This pc is maxed out in Animal Husbandry, Medicine, Observation, Rhetoric, and Socialization.
  • Kavala a Master Teacher. Students she is teaching in thread can earn more than the maxium 5 XP per thread.
  • This pc has a Konti Gift of Animal Empathy. She has a superpower from a Riverfall city event that allows animals of all sorts and Kelvics (in kelvic form) to speak clear understandable Common around her.
  • Kavala is a Konti but was raised in the Drykas culture so her accent is entirely Pavi though she can speak Common, Pavi, and Tukant well. She's only conversational in Kontinese.
Kavala
I am more than the sum of my parts.

Words: 3295757
Joined roleplay: October 25th, 2009, 1:46 am
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 17
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Trailblazer (2) Overlored (1)
Master Merchant (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Riverfall Seasonal Challenge (2) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

[The Sanctuary] Even The Bees....(prt 5)

Postby Kavala on November 18th, 2012, 3:43 am

Kavala was thrilled. Here she was staring down at a writhing mass of bees swarming almost sedately across the face of their beehive that she had just broken into. Looking closer she could see they were indeed eating, taking mild offense at the hive’s invasion, but doing nothing about it. Kavala glanced at Collin and smiled.

“Amazing. What now?” She asked, truly curious.

“Now we do a full hive inspection.” Collin added. “I'm going to try and tailor this lesson to you, Kavala, because your going to get ten packages of bees tomorrow and you’ll need to install them. I’ll be out there to help you as well, but once I’m gone your on your own until you come see me with all the questions you’ll have at that point.” He said, going on. “So your first piece of information is known when you’re going to need to inspect after your bees are installed on their new hives. Now remember, I’m giving you a jumpstart with the brooder frames and the comb, but there’s still a lot to know.” He added, gesturing at the hive.

Kavala nodded.

“You’ll need to wait five days before you bother your hive after you install your bees, Kavala. You want them to settle down, the workers to begin to build honeycomb, and the queen to start laying eggs well. If you look too soon, the bees might reject their queen or outright kill her. You can’t let that happen. I’ll send you a cage inside of a cage with the queen trapped within. There’s a candy doorway that the other bees need to eat away from her cage to release her. We put her in a cage when moving a hive so we don’t upset the balance in the hive and confuse the bees into thinking shes an enemy and needs to be killed. So after you’ve had your bees installed five days, you want to check the hive to make sure the bees have eaten the candy and released the queen. The cage should have protected her from being killed, but you never know. So check the hive.” He said, looking at the Konti to see if she understood. Kavala nodded.

“I think I understand. They are new, they need to settle, and too much disturbance early on will cause them to swarm… especially if the queen dies.”
She recited, and Collin nodded. He continued with his lecture.

“So, after five days, open the hive.. Look for the Queen cage and remove it. Make sure she’s out of it. Sometimes they will build comb up around her and she can’t get out of that so be careful when you remove the cage. Once you are sure there is no queen present in the cage, discard it. Now, start pulling out the frame that is closest to one of the sides. These will always ALWAYS be less populated than the inner frames. They will have less honey, less pollen, and less brood. Just set the frame temporarily on the ground or you can have a frame holder and place it in there. They attach to the side of the hive, you know. We make them here along with the hives. I’ll send you one along. But for now.. just set the frame down.” Collin added.

Kavala reached in to do what he asked, gently brushing bees off the frame top so she could grab it and pull it loose. It wouldn’t budge. Collin handed her the frame tool and sue used the pry portion to scrap off the propolis and then pry up the frame. After it was dislodged it came easily and she pulled it out, setting it on the ground as Collin suggested.

“Now you have more space and you can slide the frames back and forth for easy access and get them all loose with the hive tool. Take a minute to unglue all the frames and dislodge the propolis. Separate the frames and slide them apart. Now…once the frames are free, you can choose which one you want to inspect and lift it out. I move to the opposite end of the hive, and pull the one next to the outside wall of the hive body . If you start in the middle, you run the risk of injuring the queen or never ever finding her in the mass of bees. Organized searches often end a great deal better. “
Collin said. Kavala listened, nervous, glancing at him occasionally but otherwise keeping her eyes on the bees.

“Now, Kavala. Gently. Go very gently. Don’t jar or bump the frame. Don’t clang it or bang it and certainly don’t drop it. Bees can get very upset by motion or vibration so do things slow and easily. Use your fingers to get a good grip on each end of the frame. Lift it out.” Kavala did so, and found herself astonishingly holding a frame full of bees and honeycomb. She grinned at the beekeeper.

“I’m holding live bees!”
She said exited, though her voice was low and her hand was steady. “I can’t believe I’m holding so much life in my hands.” She said again, wonder glowing in her eyes. She shifted her grip, got a more steady hold, and then started really looking at the frame.

“That’s the queen!”
She said excitedly, staring at the circle of bees attentively looking after a singular larger bee in the middle. As Kavala watched, regardless of the fact the frame was lofted in the air, the queen dipped her body into a cell and laid an egg in it. Almost immediately workers were there attending to the egg, while avoiding the queen.

Collin looked over, blinked in surprise, and then smiled. “You are right. You did pay attention to your readings.” He said, surprised and proud she was so enthusiastic.

“Now, what do I look for now that I’ve spotted her. I obviously got lucky finding her on the first frame, but what about the other frames? You call this an inspection, but I’m not sure what I’m inspecting for exactly.”
She admitted, hating to have to tell him she wasn’t as competent as she wanted to be.

“That’s easy. Just look Kavala. Look for any abnormalities. New beekeepers are always leery of everything that looks weird, but most everything in a hive is weird and will continue to be. It has nothing to do with their hive being abnormal. You’re going to think everything you see is a problem. Believe me its not. Most new beekeepers are suspicious of every little mislaid propolis or unfilled cells. It doesn’t need to be that way. Relax, observe and get to know your bees.” He said, looking thoughtful and moving over to peer at the frame over her shoulder. Collin was a great deal taller.

“Do you know what sort of frame this is?”
He asked softly, and Kavala nodded.

“It’s a brood frame because you can see the sealed cells Its got a good pattern, meaning it has very few empty cells, right?”
She asked and the beekeeper nodded and rewarded her with a smile. “How do I tell the difference between a brood chamber and a honeycomb frame?” She asked. Collin looked thoughtful.

He reached in and pulled out another frame, gently shaking the bees off it. “The answer is color, content and texture. A sealed brood is usually tanish brown where the honey comb is light and maybe even white or yellow. The texture of the sealed brood is vastly different than the honeycomb as well. The brood is velvety. There’s no other way to describe it. The honeycomb is smooth. If you still cant figure it out, open a cell up. You’ll either see delicious honey or a developing bee and you’ll get a great idea which frame your holding.” Collin added, smiling.

“In your new hives, its going to be easy to find the queen because there will be a lot less bees to comb through. But in a half season, there will be forty thousand bees and frames to hunt through and you might not find her.”
He added. Kavala nodded. She could see where that would be an issue.

“If you can’t find the queen, look for eggs. If there’s eggs and larvae recently laid, she’s alive and doing well. If you don’t have any eggs or larva there’s a problem. I take it you know how to tell the difference between queen eggs and worker eggs and what the larvae and everything looks like?” Kavala nodded.

“Let me see if I can get it right. The books made it sound easy.”
Kavala said, then peered closer. It was easy. “These are eggs, larvae… no eggs from workers because the big eggs are down in the bottom in the center of the cell not clinging halfway within it.” She added, then inspected the frame more, sliding one back in and picking up another. She did this with each frame at Collin’s consent until all the frames were inspected.

“When your looking in a hive, this is what you need to see. There needs to be a queen… either seeing her first hand or seeing her freshly laid eggs. There needs to be a sealed brood and sealed honey combs. There needs to be more bees than there were when you installed them, and there needs to be a very good supply of frames and food for the hive.” He added as Kavala was replacing the very last frame.

“Pollen is usually orange or yellow colored in the frames, but depending on what flowers they get the pollen from, it could be a number of other colors. And don’t forget that its typical for a frame to have a rainbow shape of stored nectar, pollen and brood. That’s normal. The brood will be towards the lower part of the rainbow on the ends while the pollen will be inside that and the nectar will be stored on the top.”
He added, showing her in the frame she just replaced by taking it out and pointing out the difference. He replaced it neatly.

“It looks incredibly healthy to my incredibly naïve eye.”
Kavala said, laughing slightly.

Collin only smiled. “But of course. We can’t have any hive losses because if we do, we loose our food crops for Riverfall. These little bees are critical in a big harvest of fruit and nuts." He added.

“Now, one last thing. Don’t forget to put the hive back together the way you found it and place the inner and outer cover on tightly. You may even want to place a heavy rock on the top of the outer cover to keep it from blowing away in storm winds. Don’t’ ever let your hive get blow apart, dropped, or knocked over.” He cautioned with a smile.

Kavala nodded, completely understanding.
Please Note:
  • This pc is maxed out in Animal Husbandry, Medicine, Observation, Rhetoric, and Socialization.
  • Kavala a Master Teacher. Students she is teaching in thread can earn more than the maxium 5 XP per thread.
  • This pc has a Konti Gift of Animal Empathy. She has a superpower from a Riverfall city event that allows animals of all sorts and Kelvics (in kelvic form) to speak clear understandable Common around her.
  • Kavala is a Konti but was raised in the Drykas culture so her accent is entirely Pavi though she can speak Common, Pavi, and Tukant well. She's only conversational in Kontinese.
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Kavala on November 18th, 2012, 6:41 pm

Kavala had more questions though and didn’t want Collin to move on before she had them answered. The Konti tilted her head, thought for a moment, then quietly asked her questions. “Collin, what about when a hive gets crowded? I mean how do you know its crowded and when do you know you need to do something about it?” Kavala asked, curious. She watched the beekeeper hoping he’d give her a better explanation than was in her book.

“The problem happens when the hive is utterly full of bees, there’s no framed space left, and all the cells are full. You’re likely to get a swarm then Kavala, because half the hive will break off and try for a new home. It’s how they divide. A good beekeeper can always add another super or more frames if you don’t have your frames full, to prevent this. The problem most beginning beekeepers make is that they give the bees a super that has no cells in it, one that’s undrawn if you will. The bees turn their noses up at it so to speak. They need the room and they need it now, not to expend the energy to frame in cells. When its time to expand and they are on a rapid building spree, that’s when you add the undrawn frames and they’ll lay in cells with wax on them. It’s all about timing. By the time the hive is already crowded it’s too late to give them that kind of room that needs productivity. What you can do instead is remove your honey supers when you harvest, extract the honey, then store the frames with the wax already drawn and add blank frames back in rather than replace the ones you extracted honey from in so they can draw them on the fly when the hive is full of its spring buzz. Then, you have already waxed frames set aside for congestion issues.” Collin said, watching to see if Kavala understood. When the Konti nodded, he continued.

“Hives will go ahead and swarm because they get congested. Do you understand what congestion is?” Collin asked.

Kavala looked thoughtful. “Congestion would have to be when things were going really really well for the hive – abundant even – when they are all getting tons of incoming nectar and pollen, the queen is active and healthy, and disease and pests are low. I imagine they are making workers like crazy, spare queens, all sorts of things and the bees are just on top of each other and having no room. It’s definitely not something that happens in a time of famine. Like in the spring when they sometimes starve…” She stated. “So I suspect they have no cells, like you say, and they want room to breathe. They need drawn cells then to keep them happy because the space does no good if they have no room to utilize it or have to wax up cells first. Bees… when they need room they need it immediately. Because the bees are hatched out, live, congested… not in cells waiting to break out.” She said, looking thoughtfully at Collin.

“So when they get congested…” He added, continuing with the lesson, his arms gesturing. “… you’ll inspect the hive and find swarm queen cells. The obvious signs of a swarm being imminent is if you see the presence of swarm queen cells. You can tell the difference between swarm queen cells and replacement queen cells just by location in the hive. Swarm queens are usually located on the lower part of the frame in the brood chamber. You can take the deep hive body, tilt it back, and look for these swarm cells hanging from the bottom of the frames. Remove them all. I keep them in jars, Kavala, glass jars, in my house and watch them hatch out. That way I have spare queens if something happens to one of my queens. You always need replacement queens. But if you keep your swarm queen cells absent, then your odds of a swarm are far less likely. Now, don’t get confused. You can also have superseding queen cells. If you see them, leave them alone, Kavala. A superseding queen cell means the old queen is having problems and the workers are going to replace her immediately. They’ll kill her when the superseding queen hatches. “ He said, look at the Konti trying to make sure she understood.

“Why would they replace her?”
Kavala asked.

“Many reasons.”
Collin answered. “Sometimes she’s not productive, or she’s injured or dead. The bees know when its best to replace their queen and they will do it. Leave these cells alone, okay?” He said. Kavala nodded.

“What exactly do they look like? I mean are they different than the workers being raised in the cells?”
She asked suddenly, concerned. Collin nodded.

He then took her over to another hive and expertly began to smoke it. “The best way to describe them is actually to show you. I hoped you’d ask, so I left some swarm cells in this congested hive so I could show you. They also have a superseding queen on the make as well. I believe their queen is injured. They’ll soon kill her. I think she’s been here about two years anyhow, so its most likely old age. That happens.” Collin said.

He smoked the bottom, then the top, getting the frames in between. Then, using his hive tool, he gently pried open the deep super after taking the other supers off the hive. He lifted it and Kavala could see the peanut shaped cells dangling from the super. She reached in carefully, and at Collin’s nod, pulled them off. There were four of them. The bees buzzed around her but with the protective veil in place, they really were not pests. She looked the hive cells over in her hand and smiled. Collin pulled a small glass jar from his apron and she slid them in. “I’ll watch them in the house and see what hatches. We might need a new queen here or there, so we’ll see what we can do with them.” He said, chuckling. “You might even loose a queen or two we send you. These very well could be your replacements.” Collin said, smiling.

Kavala met his smile and chuckled. “Well, take good care of them then.” She added, laughing and brushing off her hands. “You said you had a few more lessons for me. What are they?” She asked, curious.

“Well, we’re going to split a hive. And we’re going to requeen another one. I need to teach you a few more things before we bring your hives home tomorrow.” He said, grinning. Kavala, once more, could tell that Collin was really into his work. She could see why he enjoyed it as well.

“I look forward too that.” She added. “Lets get started?” He nodded and beckoned her to follow him.
Please Note:
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Kavala on November 18th, 2012, 7:40 pm

“Okay, so which are we going to do? Requeen or splits?” Kavala asked, curious and excited all at once.

“Well, honestly splits need to usually happen in the spring, because that’s when your hives multiple. There’s a formula. Now… “ He bent over the dirt and got Kavala to bend with him. He smoothed out the soil around the beehive and then scratched a number in the soil. Math. They were doing math. “Say you start with two hives, Kavala. This year…512. You make a single split from each hive and double your amount of hives. That means you have four hives at the end of 512 going into 513. And honestly, lots of times you can split hives multiple times depending on the congestion and crowding. So you take your four hives and this time you make three splits from each hive. Four times three equals twelve. See where this is going? So you’ll have twelve hives by the end of 513 if you are doing well. Now your bees might fall to predation and you might get pests, bad weather, or even a hive illness. But this is a best case scenario. Now take the twelve hives… what are you going to get from them if you make two splits from each?" He asked.

Kavala quickly bent down in the dirt. The numbers were going to get huge, but she knew how to do basic math.

12 splits twice each gave 36 hives by 514
36 hives split twice each gave 108 hives by 515
108 hives split twice gave 324 hives by 516
324 hives split twice gave 972 hives by 517

Collin stilled her hand. “You get my point. That’s a lot of hives.” He added, and she nodded, her eyes going wide. “You are going to start with ten hives. You could potentially have three times that much next year. And maybe you’ll be selling bees back to me.” He added, with a laugh. “Just think, five years down the line you could in a perfect world with two splits starting with two hives, have nearly 1000 hives.” He laughed, knowing they both knew they didn’t live in a perfect world.

She met his smile. Kavala was having a really good time. It was fun to hang out with a fellow Drykas, speak Pavi, and be as excited about something as he was about bees. But there was something she still didn’t understand. How did they make splits? The question seemed to be in her eyes as Collin jumped forward and indicated the hive they had just pulled the swarm queens from. “This one I’ve deliberately let get crowded once you contacted me about having some lessons. That way I can demonstrate what you need to do to split a hive. In fact, I’ll have you do it and just help you with the procedure.” He added, looking as excited as she was to be teaching someone her new hobby.

“Okay, wait though.”
Kavala said, stopping him. “Before we start splitting, can you talk about it a bit. Not the procedure, but the advantages and why we split rather than let them die off?” She added.

Collin nodded. He was enjoying his student.

“Well, for me personally, I started with one hive. I made say ten gold in honey a year off one. Having two I doubled that. Having ten I made a hundred. And then at a hundred hives I made a thousand and lived comfortably. Now we have all the orchards here and they need the pollinators so it becomes an even bigger operation. I have a hundred hives here, Kavala, and they all need care. They produce all kinds of income for me. Not only do the Orchards pay me for the use of the bees and provide a place for me to live near them, but I get to sell bees to people like you, wax and wax products. Two of my wives have a beeswax candle business that’s thriving in Riverfall. My daughter makes hand cream and lotion. I also sell cores from my hives, which is what you are getting tomorrow. You aren’t just buying bees. You are getting cores. Cores are the four or five frames from a strong hive . I also sell queens. If you loose one, you can always come to me for an immediate replacement. So it’s a thriving business. The more I split hives, the better off I am. The more money I make and the better off my family is.”
He said, smiling.

“And you healers over at The Sanctuary will have the same experience. But I have a feeling you’ll be using most of your product for medicines and herbals.”
Kavala nodded. “I think you’re right.” She said, looking thoughtful.
Please Note:
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Kavala on November 18th, 2012, 7:40 pm

“So with horses, we try to bring in new blood all the time. I breed them you see. But is it the same with bees? I mean do you want the same lines or do you bring in new lines? It seems if you split bees up, then your just making more of what you have already. So how do you handle that?” She asked, curious.

“Wild bees.” He added. “I get called a lot to remove hives or even swarms from unwanted places. I keep the bees and add them to my own hives because honestly sometimes the wild bees are more fit in terms of strength of bloodlines than our domesticated bees are. When you split at first, you’ll want to multiply your hives from your own, but then your going to also want to get some cores from me, and add in wild bees. You’ve already seen how to capture a swarm. But there’s also ways to remove unwanted hives as well. Always keep those queens. They are extra fit. And if you are lucky enough to find a swarm queen core or even a superseding, keep those as well.” He added.

“Next year, you’ll want about half your own splits, about half my cores – because I have added in wilds – and if you get lucky enough to run across a wild bee hive or swarm, grab those as oh well.” He advised, then got down to the nitty gritty of reasoning about splitting.

“So… I split hives for three main reasons. I increase my hive numbers. I prevent swarming that way. And I produce cores to sell to people like you who want to get into beekeeping as well.” He said, happily answering her questions.

“Okay so on with it. You get to do the work. Now, splits should only be made from overwintered hives that are being very productive. And usually you should not split them in the fall like we are doing. But I’m fine splitting this one now because the core is going to you.”
He added, looking thoughtful. “So, a split is really just several frames of brood, bees and their food sources taken from a strong hive and placed in an empty hive. You the beekeeper are actually swarming the hive for them, but your picking the time place and the where of it. Splitting is brilliant really.” He added, smiling.

Kavala nodded, listening.

“Now, this hive is crowded, ready to swarm, and we’re going to do that for them. Remember, we know they are ready to swarm because they had the swarm queens growing on the bottom, the ones I now have in my pocket.”
He said, gesturing. "Then we take an empty hive. I just moved this one over…” Collin said, gesturing to the empty hive box sitting beside the overcrowded hive. “… so we could split the crowded into it. Basically all you need otherwise is some heavy duty sugar water.” Collin added.

“Now if you know the ages of your eggs, that will help enormously. If you have transferred a brood frame over that has eggs that are less than three days old, you won’t have to queen the hive. The workers will know they are without a queen and will begin to feed one of the eggs as if shes a queen and raise her to be one. I do this when I like the queen from the old hive and want one of her daughters as queen. When I don’t like her, I will requeen the new hive, and I’ll show you how to do that in a bit.” He added.

“Now, you’ll want to add a frame or two of nectar and pollen from the strong hive as well. The growing new hive will need food and more food. So what you have in the end is a core starter hive with a brood already in various stages of development, pollen, and nectar. So they have all they need to begin work on making new cells, producing honey, and expanding the hive.”
He added.

Kavala understood. She suddenly realized she didn’t need to buy ten hives. She really only needed two and would have enough, from careful splitting, to fill the other hives with almost no issue at all. “So Collin, this all sounds great, but are there challenges to this? Things that go wrong?” She added.

He nodded. “Certainly. Nothing is ever perfect. If you accidentally transfer more brood than you transferred bees to care for them, you’ll need to pull a frame from the donor hive and open up your new hive and shake part of the frame of bees off the old hive onto the new one. Use the bees from the donor hive though. If you do not, you’ll run the risk of bee fights and death. The scents and smells are familiar so they settle fairly easily on the new frames.” He added. “Its also common that they fail to make a new queen. You need to check within a few days to see if a queen cell is being formed. If not you need to get a queen from somewhere… maybe even me.” He said grinning and tapping the glass jars in his pocket. “Of course, if you are an avid beekeeper you’ll have a few extra around in time to keep the hive from failing due to a lack of queen.” He said.

Kavala smiled, then laughed. He went on.

“Make splits fairly early in the season, Kavala. Your bees need time to grow, raise their young, and get ready for winter. There are those that split in the fall like I’m doing here, but I have frames available from other hives that will feed these bees. The real danger, honestly, is in splitting off too many bees and not keeping the bees you have warm. If the amount of adult bees going into winter isn’t what you need, then you’re in trouble. That’s why you can make a split on top of an existing hive by adding in a screen between them and just shuffling up some of the frames to make more room. The bees won’t fight because they are of the same scent as the other bees.. but the benefit of it is that the additional level on the hive gets the warmth from the level below it meaning your colony wont’ freeze to death.” He added, smiling.

Kavala agreed. “We ready to do this?” She said, then studied the stack. “It’s fall so we’re just going to split this hive to that super and stack it on top aren’t we?” She guessed. Collin nodded, seemingly pleased. “So what do I do?” She asked.

“Smoke it… get them all calmed down like I taught you, then pick through the frames and find a few you want.. two brood, and two of the rainbow of pollen and nectar.” He said, then gestured to the other super laying next to the hive. "Just move them over.” Kavala nodded.

She spent time smoking the hive, calming the bees down, and then when she was ready, she sorted through the frames, pulled the ones she decided would be good, then added them to the new hive. She checked to make sure she wasn’t pulling one with a queen. In fact, she had to put one frame back because the queen from the donor hive was on it. Then, she tucked them neatly into the new hive, and pulled a fifth frame full of bees. She checked again for the queen and finding none, carefully brushed the bees from the frame off onto the new hive, adding enough bodies to work the broods she’d transferred. Then, replacing everything, she laid a screen that bees couldn’t fit through over the top rather than the cover, stacked the new split super on top of the old one, and then added the inner and outer cover and was done.

“Great job!”
He said, laughing and clapping her on the back gently. “You’re going to make a fine beekeeper!” Collin said.

Please Note:
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Mist on December 13th, 2012, 4:48 pm

Thread Grading!

Kavala
XP/Skills: +5 Beekeeping, +3 Mathematics, +1 Socialization

Lots of lores!

Lore: Better to prevent than to heal, How to inspect beehives: Weather and Time, How to inspect beehives: How to dress and smell, How to inspect beehives: Placement and spacing, How to inspect a beehive: How smoking works, Candy Doors, Spotting the queen, Colors and texture: Sealed Brood and Honeycomb, How to inspect beehives: Repackaging, How to inspect beehives: Overcrowding, Congestion, No mercy amongst bees: Killings ones queen, Bee Splitting Math, Strength of wild bees, Three reasons to split, The process of doing a split

Additional Notes: I thought it was funny, the odd definition for congestion in regard especially to beekeeping. I never knew that. Makes me think a second time before saying I am congested right now. :)

Although I am a bit confused by your math... "Four times four equals twelve"? Yeah, that bee math confused me, I think I was missing something there... Since it did not seem to add up right... Or the thing about splitting it twice giving you 3x the amount... Yeah, a bit confusing...

-If you have any questions about the grade, don’t hesitate to PM me.

Mist
AS of Riverfall

Words: 66664
Joined roleplay: July 10th, 2012, 9:07 pm
Race: Staff account
Office