Solo A Little Experiment...

In which Ignotus does a bit of thinking while testing a hunch.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A lawless town of anarchists, built on the ruins of an ancient mining city. [Lore]

Moderator: Morose

A Little Experiment...

Postby Ignotus Everto on November 25th, 2012, 3:34 am

20th of Fall, 512AV

There were few things worse than boredom.
There were fewer things worse than boredom whilst something that needed to be done couldn't be done. Dozens upon dozens of pigeon corpses, and nowhere to animate them... "Petching rain."

However, it wasn't all bad. It meant he had time to satisfy his curiosity on a certain subject. First things first, he needed a test subject. A half chime's searching got him one; a little raccoon searching through a pile of garbage. A bit of Djed-infused whistling got its curiosity, and then... Well, what he was planning worked better in the open.

Staring at the raccoon, he focused on a phrase and, isolating it from the rest of his soul, severed it and shot it out through his eyes at the animal. If the raccoon was a human, it would think "I should step forward." Raccoons couldn't speak Common, however, so all it did was bristle, confused about the strange noises entering its head. That was a no, then.

Shifting his focus to his aura, Ignotus slit it open and forced a feeling of calm out of it; a feeling that immediately latched on to the nearest soul, the raccoon. It relaxed a little. A little.

Curious that he should have this power over animals. Curious that a feral raccoon should feel completely at ease with a shambling corpse. There was certainly power in the way one could alter another being's thoughts and feelings to make the illogical logical. To make black white.

Then why didn't he feel any of it?

While exercising it, certainly, but otherwise? None at all. Ignotus wasn't sure why, but he could never seem to come to terms with his own abilities. While he was using Hypnotism, or casting with Reimancy, or breathing life into lifeless things with Animation, he felt like he was atop a mountain- like he could conquer the mountain. Conquer the world. But it was only a temporary high. Once the magic was done, he was exactly where he was before. He still felt like a small, dirt-poor Zeltivan boy who couldn't even haul in a net full of fish, let alone amount to anything.

Ignotus pushed the thought out of his mind. The raccoon was starting to act up again. Reaching backwards into his mind, he dragged up an image he knew would frighten. An old favorite. A lunging Balicani. Slicing the image from the rest of his soul, he shot it into the raccoon with a whistle, and the animal scampered off in fright. A faint smirk played on Ignotus' lips. Why was he thinking so much about this things? How could he not amount to something, when he could bring an animal to its knees? And then when he could bring a man as well? He had an eternity to master his art, after all.

Everything was going to be just fine. Even if his little experiment failed, the grander one was still a resounding success.

A thousand thanks to Phoenix for the gorgeous blue frame, and a thousand more to Edreina for her beautiful magic-themed one!

Correspondence Thread
Ignotus Everto
Only Mostly Mad

Words: 292905
Joined roleplay: May 6th, 2012, 5:57 pm
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 2
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)

A Little Experiment...

Postby Twister on November 25th, 2012, 2:24 pm

Experience Award

Ignotus Everto
Grade :
Experience: +2 Hypnotism

Lores: Magic: Feeling of Freedom and Superiority, Coming Down From a High, Overthinking Your Sense of Worth, Making Your Own Success, Biding Your Time, Placing Your Sense of Purpose in Magic

Comments: Once again, it feels like you don't really explore much when you're delving into the magic, resulting in me not being able to give so many points in it. That said, you successfully manage to catch my interest when you start sinking into the thoughts swirling around inside Ignotus' head, but you also leave me feeling somewhat dissatisfied since you kind of jump the train after a bit and don't follow the thought all the way through, if that makes sense. Mind, the post was easy and interesting for me to read, but a wee bit of criticism never hurts. It feels like there's a lot of things you could be saying in your posts that don't quite make it into your texts, which is a shame. I think it would be interesting to see you going deeper in your solos to explore the deeper workings of his mind rather than focusing on the shallow details.
If you've any questions or concerns about your grade, drop me a PM!
Twister
Justice is Dead, Faith is Blind

Words: 258837
Joined roleplay: November 18th, 2012, 7:01 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)