Solo Free Ride

In which Rosela starts getting what she really wants out of seduction.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

Free Ride

Postby Rosela on November 7th, 2012, 9:51 pm

Timestamp: 35th of Fall, 512AV

After a tiring day at the shop, Rosela came back to find her home shivering cold. She needed to find a good hearth, or even a measly firepit.

As the weather got colder, Rosela was starting to wonder if Seduction wasn’t best left for nicer weather. Her cloak started to become a constant accessory on her trips outdoors, and it was hard to get anyone to check her out when everything from the neck down was bundled up. Winter blues was starting to set in, even before winter had arrived.

The Art of Seduction only had a small section on cold weather, proclaiming that the master seductress didn’t need to flash skin to snare a catch. In fact, it touted, winter was the best time, as the smallest amount of skin could easily fascinate one starved of it. In the summer, when many women were baring it all, seduction could be more difficult.

Wind howled outside, and Rosela tightened her fur lined cloak around herself, snug for the moment. The book lay in front of her on the table, with a single hand snaking out to turn the pages. Branches rattled and leaves blew outside, but Rosela was thanking her splurge of the cloak purchase.

Apparently, touch worked the same way in the winter months. After all day bundled up in coats and mittens, who wouldn’t find the gentle touch of a woman electrifying? Snuggling deeper into the lining of her hood, Rosela licked her lips and let her imagination briefly run away with her. She’d never been called electrifying, but she’d like to be.

The Touch was the next step in the path of seduction, and was just as easy to pull off as the Look. There were obviously different kinds of touches, though their effect depended on many factors. Friendly touches were easy to introduce early in the conversation, but one had to be mindful of whether the culture permitted such contact. Offensive physical contact was to be remedied as soon as possible. An explanation of cultural differences was a useful conversation starter to draw away the discomfort and turn attention back to more positive topics.

Closing the book gently, Rosela curled all six arms around her knees. Her plain wooden dinner chair was hard on her bottom, thought the padding of the cloak allowed her to stay in it longer than usual. It seemed a good time to go out and get someone to buy her something.

She hadn’t forgotten the night at the White Crane, which had been such a wild success in getting men to dote on her. However, drink was fleeting. As fun as it was, she didn’t need it, and would have much rathered he spent those 80 gold mizas on something else for her. Like a big, fluffy fur cloak, just like the one sitting in her shop right now. The what wasn’t the problem, she’d accept anything that was free, the problem was where. Not many people would be outside right now, so her usual haunt of the Warrens was out. She needed someplace with class that would filter out the broke ones for her.

What was that tea house called? On the far side of Knirin Gardens? The Almond Blossom. Come to think of it, she was rather hungry, and come up with a very interesting idea she wanted to try out.

Have a moment? Maybe drop by and leave a peer review?
Rosela
Bring me pretty things.

Words: 739794
Joined roleplay: August 24th, 2012, 7:54 pm
Race: Eypharian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 6
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Featured Thread (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Free Ride

Postby Rosela on November 7th, 2012, 9:57 pm

In spite of the fur lined coat, it was still bitter cold outside, and Rosela reassessed her desire as soon as she stepped out. She didn’t need to practice seduction today, and she didn’t even know if her little plan would work. It depended on a lot of factors going her way, and she couldn’t really afford it to go wrong. She had an escape plan if it failed altogether, but a half success would only hurt.

Sighing heavily, she buried her nose in the lining of her cloak and trudged forward. She’d gotten herself out here, so she may as well give it a shot.

The Almond Blossom wasn’t far, so her cheeks had attained a rosy quality by the time she’d slipped in the front door, luckily before they became splotchy and frostbitten. A young Konti walked swiftly towards her, a sympathetic smile on her face.

“Good evening. May I take your cloak?”

”Oh, thank you.” As she slipped out of it, she tried to look nonchalant and grateful as she discreetly surveyed the room. She needed the pieces to her plan, and she needed them fast. There was a hearth to the one end of the small establishment, a pair of Akalak men talking in business-like tones nearby, and a young couple dining moon-eyed at the far end.

“There we go,” she smiled as she hung up the cloak. “A table for…” She trailed off, waiting for Rosela to finish.

”Two, please. My date should be here soon.” She rubbed her arms together to fight off the chill, and the young woman seemed surprised to see them, apparently yet another person who haven’t met may Eypharians.

“Oh, of-of course. Let me put you over by the hearth, to warm you up.” She led her to a table for two, a few tables away from the businessmen.

Extending her hands to the fire, she quickly sat in the seat closest to it, the one that allowed her to see the two men. They were both of lean build and in suits, and the one facing her had a goatee speckled with gray hairs. ”Thank you very much. Could I have some water while I wait?”

“Certainly. Do you want to put in your order now, or wait until your date gets here?” She was already drawing out a small notebook.

”I think I’ll wait until he gets here.” She smiled in a flutter of false anxiety. ”It’s our first date, so I want to see what he’s getting.”

The Konti smiled knowingly. “No problem. I’ll be back with your water. Can I have your name, in case he comes in and asks?”

Rosela saw the businessman who was facing her flicker his attention to her, though his partner’s voice was too low to carry. ”Rosela. My name’s Rosela.”

Rosela
Bring me pretty things.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Free Ride

Postby Rosela on November 7th, 2012, 10:01 pm

Rosela had worked out an interval of times for her to enter into the subsequent phases of depression.

First, she started out optimistic, though she was inwardly the most anxious yet. If the businessmen left too soon, she’d miss her window.

Next, she was leaning her head on her hands, aiming for impatient but trying not to appear to be. She had ‘accidentally’ caught the businessman’s eye once, but blushed and looked away.

After that, she upped her impatience and started fidgeting, drawing even more attention from him. Leaning over so she could cross her legs in his full view, unintentionally of course, she started bouncing her foot.

She started displaying more depression as it became obvious that no one was coming. Hands played morosely with her hair and she made a valiant effort to control her pout. She knew her pouts were adorable, and had a small victory when the businessman glanced over with a measure of pity.

The Konti, Korana, came over to refill her water, a sympathetic look on her face.

”There haven’t been any messages, have there?” Rosela tried, with an almost desperate plead.

“Sorry, nothing yet. Are you sure you don’t want something to snack on?”

”Thank you, but that’s okay. To tell you the truth, he’d said he’d pay, so I don’t have much on me.”

“Let me bring you just a bit of cheese then. On the house.”

Rosela’s stomach let out a grumble at the sound of cheese, an honestly unintentional addition to her story. ”I don’t want to be a bother…” She protested weakly, but at Korana’s knowing look, she made a reluctant surrender. ”Thank you. Really.”

The cheese plate was small, but probably the best she could hope for as a freebie. She continued to stare at the door, though she gave her stare a hint of resignation as she slowly munched on the cheese. She was admittedly starting to get a little nervous again; she couldn’t stay here all night and the cheese was only making her hungrier. The businessman was still flicking looks to her, but hadn’t progressed to the stares she had been hoping for by this point.

The last of the cheese went eventually, and Rosela wondered if she should just give up and honestly patronize the place, especially after Korana had been so nice. Her patience finally paid off however, and she saw the two businessmen stand and shake hands. Rosela did her best not to notice, and tried to look as though she was also considering leaving, half pout making an appearance as she made a visible attempt to control it. Now was the moment of truth. The man who had been facing away from her left quickly, but the other dawdled. Rosela didn’t dare look up at him until the last moment. Head tilted down, she looked up as if on impulse, and met his gaze with a hint of sadness and surprise as he stared down with sympathy, and even better, curiosity.

Rosela
Bring me pretty things.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Free Ride

Postby Rosela on November 7th, 2012, 10:17 pm

“As much as I hate stating the obvious, miss, but it appears you are dining alone this evening.”

For a moment, Rosela worried that he was simply informing her that her ‘date’ was obviously not coming, but she decided to just run with it. The critical transition period had come. No backing down now. ”I’m afraid I hate stating the obvious as well, but the term dining could be applied loosely here.” Her eyes wavered and her apparent bravado failed as she glanced at the doorway. ”But yes, I appear to have been stood up.” She enunciated the two words with an almost bitter care, as though they were unfamiliar. It was partially honest – she’d never been stood up before.

She felt her old etiquette lessons returning now that he was actually interacting with her. He was obviously moderately wealthy, from the fine cut of his linen suit, and very well mannered. It was a considerable shock to find someone of good breeding in the warriors, hunters, and blacksmiths around Riverfall. A small voice in the back of her head worried about dealing with a man from the upper crust. For all the years spent in that society, she still burned with hurt over what her ego had suffered there. This wasn’t Ahnatep, she reminded herself, and the double handed wordplay of High Arumenic was well behind her.

“Only a true cretin would…stand up such a lovely woman. I apologize on behalf of man-kind.” He made a mock of a bow, showing off a full head of graying hair and a small ponytail sitting just over the pressed collar at the back of his neck.

Without losing her air of sadness, she smiled with humor and gratitude, while trying to calm her anxious stomach. ”Thank you, sir. That’s very kind of you. I only hope his apology is as gracious.”

“After such behavior tonight, one would hope for far more than a mere apology from this man.”

“After such behavior, I’m not sure I’d accept much more. Though I will have to figure out what on Mizahar I’m going to do for dinner.” She looked around the table, unsettled, though more because of her gamble. This was the moment of truth.

He looked briefly at the door, coat still in hand, before seeming to come to a decision. “Perhaps then, I might join you? For dinner. I haven’t eaten yet, and it would be unconscionable to leave a young woman to dine alone.”

It was difficult to get the shock, gratitude, and nervousness in right proportions on her face. A bit of relief may have snuck in as well. ”I-I, couldn’t possibly impose-”

“Nonsense. It’s settled then.” Draping his coat over the back of his chair, he sat firmly, gesturing to Korana.

Rosela made a token look of protest before dissolving into honest gratitude and relief. ”Thank you,” she sighed sincerely, phase one finally completed. ”I’m Rosela.”

“Morlavik. Pleasure to make your acquaintance, Rosela.”

Rosela
Bring me pretty things.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Free Ride

Postby Rosela on November 7th, 2012, 10:18 pm

“Had you decided on your meal yet? I imagine you must be starving.”

”I had planned on Korana’s special, with maybe a bit of fish…”

“That’s all? Don’t tell me you’re watching your weight. You certainly don’t need to.”

”Thank you, but it’s more for the weight of my wallet. I’m afraid it’s all I can afford at the moment.” Pretending to be overly interested in the menu, she bit her lip nervously. Take the bait, take the bait…

“Afford?” He looked at her shrewdly over the top of his menu. “Young lady, I couldn’t possibly let you pay after the fiasco of your date.”

Score! ”Oh no, you’re already-”

“Already what?” His smile was humorous this time. “Rescuing a lovely young woman from an evening alone and getting a delicious meal in the process? Ah yes,” He looked up at Korana came to the table, notebook in hand, hiding a small smile as she looked at Rosela. “The lady will have the Chef’s Pick with the fish, I’ll have the same with the poultry, and a bottle of…” He considered Rosela for a long moment and she shifted awkwardly. “Bluevein Floral, I think. Have you had it?” Without another word to Korana, who promptly left the table, he directed his question to Rosela.

”I’m afraid not.” She ran a hand along her neck in embarrassment. ”I haven’t been in Riverfall very long.”

“Yes, I meant to ask… You simply don’t see many Eypharians around. How long have you been in the city?”

”Only since the end of summer.”

“Heavens, you are new in town. Have you found a trade?”

”Oh yes!” It was the most animated thing she’d said all night, and she figured it was time to thaw a bit. Advertising her business would be an unintended bonus. ”My family owns a successful clothing line in Ahnatep, so I figured I’d do the same here. I own a small clothing store on the other side of town. Red Diamond Fashions, by the Crystal Rose.”

His surprise was noticeable and he seemed honestly impressed. “An entrepreneur? Miss Rosela, you are simply full of surprises.”

”Why thank you.” She beamed at the praise, extraordinarily pleased with how the evening was going. ”I’ve only opened a few weeks ago, but I’m doing fairly well.”

“Of course you are, with such a clever woman at the helm. Riverfall’s needed a proper clothier for quite some time now.”

”That’s what I keep hearing. What is it you do?” The conversation was centering too much on herself, something that could only lead to bad places. The book had been quite firm on not going on too long on herself.

“I am in real estate, Miss Rosela. If you bought the vacant lot next to the Crystal Rose, you must have worked with Artyn. He works for me.”

”Does he? What a small city! He gave me a very fair price, I’ll have you know.”

Morlavik laughed openly. “I’m sure he did. Oh good,” He looked up with a smile at the approaching Korana who balanced a large tray on her shoulder. “Our food’s here.”

Rosela
Bring me pretty things.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Free Ride

Postby Rosela on November 7th, 2012, 10:21 pm

The food was delicious, and most certainly the best she’d had since arriving in the city. Rosela felt homesickness rise despite herself, as the good food and the constant need to keep a mask of cordiality up was painfully familiar. Conversation came easily to Morlavik, and after a bit of direction, he dominated most of it. He had begun to relax significantly, especially with the amount of wine he’d been drinking. Rosela found herself not a fan of the flowery taste, and restricted herself discreetly. While her escapade at the White Crane had been largely aided by an extraordinary amount of alcohol, tonight was an exercise in sober seduction.

Morlavik droned about the soaring cost of lumber as she chewed a piece of bread, so much tastier than her own crusty breakfast toasts, and she wondered if it was really seduction at this point. She’d gotten what she wanted, a free meal, and as soon as he paid, the night could be considered a success. The entrees were long gone, and all that remained were the bread trays and the remnants of the fruit selection. He wasn’t really looking at her anymore, talking more for his own benefit with little to no input from her.

A bell rang out over the city, marking the hour, and Morlavik started in surprise. “My goodness, is it really that late? I’m sure you didn’t intend to be out this late. Or maybe you did.” He gave her a conspiratorial look after his last suggestion, and Rosela had the impression he was attempting an inside joke.

”Before you rescued me, I’m sure would have been home in bed much, much earlier.”

Morlivak roared with laughter, and if there had been any other patrons left in the restaurant, they would have looked over scandalized. “Be that as it may, I think it’s time to leave.” There was a tinkle of mizas as he laid them on the table, apparently with a generous tip.

He put on his suit jacket, then a cloak at the door, taking Rosela’s from Korana and making a fuss of clasping it on her. Korana looked almost concerned as she bid them farewell and it wasn’t until Rosela was walking out the door he’d opened for her that she realized why: Morlivak might be expecting her company a little further into the night than she intended to give.

For a moment, she wondered that the book would say about this, knowing full well there was an entire section on nighttime activities.

“So where is it you live, my dear? You must allow me to walk you home.”

Her mind raced as she looked around, pretending to be lost. What excuse could she give to part ways without souring what had been an entirely successful night thus far? He knew about her business too – if she was too cold, would he badmouth her amongst his peers? The night suddenly seemed entirely less than worth the risk. ”I…I… I’m a bit turned around, I think, I can’t seem to-” An idea lit in her mind, as brilliant as the summer sun. She was so clever sometimes, she even amazed herself. After another moment of looking around, she bit her lip and looked up at him with embarrassed eyes. ”The thing is…I actually didn’t intend to go home yet.” She paused at his look of shock, an unmistakable anticipation, and she lifted her shoulders in timidity. ”My friend, she wanted me to come over after my date and tell her how it went.” She could tell he was speechless and searching for something to say, likely to dissuade her, but went out on a limb to seal the deal. One hand reached out from her cloak to squeeze his arm gently. ”Thank you so very much for making tonight so wonderful. I would have probably been over there right now, crying, if it weren’t for you. You’re the best of men, Morlivak.” The words seemed to sober him, and he smiled, almost sadly. At the sight of his defeat, Rosela stood up on her toes and gave him a quick peck on the cheek. ”Thank you, really.”

Reaching out with one hand, he took the one of hers that had squeezed his arm and kissed it gently. “Believe me, Miss Rosela, the pleasure was truly mine. I’ll be sure to stop by your shop sometime.”

“I’d be more than glad to have you. Goodnight Morlivak.”

“Goodnight and farewell, Miss Rosela.”

The walk home was triumphant, though she did stop on occasion to make sure a tapping branch wasn’t Morlivak following her. She hadn’t realized how much of a gamble she’d taken until that final moment, and suddenly her antics at the White Crane looked very lucky in hindsight. Her, against four drunk men? What if they had decided to drag her back with them? They would have been punished severely, and while Rosela knew the law was firmly with her anywhere in Riverfall, she’d risked a lot. There was a fine line between desire and need, and she’d be toeing it ever more closely as she refined her art.

If men were going to be flocking to her, she’d better learn how to beat a few of them off.

OOCLet me know if I really do need to pay for that meal and I’ll take it out of the ledger. Don’t worry, freebies won’t become a habit, no matter what she says.

Rosela
Bring me pretty things.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Free Ride

Postby Jackalope on December 5th, 2012, 10:53 pm

Rosela

Award
Skill XP Earned Lore Earned
Subterfuge +2 Seduction Note: In Winter, Less is More
Seduction +1 Faking Being Stood Up to Get a Date
Observation +3 Morlevik: Interested Businessman
Getting out of Nighttime Activities

Witty Remark Here
Entertaining thread! Looks like Rosela has picked up a few more techniques to get things done! I'm okay with getting some dinners out refining your techniques. When you start getting extravegant gifts, we'll have to talk a bit more. ;) I gave a little seduction for bringing him in, but once he was there she didn't have to do much. If you have any questions or concerns regarding your grade, please send me a PM and we can figure it out. :)
Jackalope
Check out that bunny heat

Words: 128580
Joined roleplay: September 27th, 2012, 6:56 pm
Race: Staff account
Scrapbook
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)