Solo I will find you in the River.

Johanne learns that faith is more than mumbled words to a cracking statuette.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The Diamond of Kalea is located on Kalea's extreme west coast and called as such because its completely made of a crystalline substance called Skyglass. Home of the Alvina of the Stars, cultural mecca of knowledge seekers, and rife with Ethaefal, this remote city shimmers with its own unique light.

I will find you in the River.

Postby Johanne on December 1st, 2012, 11:31 am

22nd Winter, 512AV. The Temple of Time.

Johanne never understood the Gods. They had always seemed to her to be a petty group of individuals: concerned with nothing but their own interests, their own squabbles, their own desires. Growing up in a world that was only beginning to recover from one God’s rage, Johanne afforded the pantheon their proper deference, as any youngling of Mizahar might, but she did not feel any connection to them. They were concerned with their affairs, and sometimes with the doings of the great and skilled, but never Johanne. Johanne was too small and too ordinary to be of any worth to any god.

She had woken early that Dawn Rest. The city of Lhavit was still in their last moments of slumber, still resting before they must awaken and resume their duties once more. Lhavit was an ever-moving place, only ever slowing down for two bells at the most—and even then, there were individuals like Johanne who could not take their repose in full. Dressing in her warm dress, and the bark-brown woollen scarf she had purchased with the ever-graceful Suria in Fall, Johanne braved the brisk morning chill of Lhavit in the beginnings of Winter, and began to walk towards the Sartu Peak.

As she walked, Syna’s rays began to creep over the buildings and caress her face. It struck Johanne suddenly that every morning ‘til dusk, she was touched by a goddess, and she had taken that for granted. She smiled in the sunlight and wondered if Syna could see. She felt strangely warmed, a new sensation for the girl who usually spared no thoughts for the Gods.

In a city where a daughter of gods walked among them, it seemed a little ridiculous to Johanne that she had only now begun to think of their immortal implications. Ethaefal, too, fallen children of the Ukalas, called Lhavit their home, and Johanne had never even thought that they had once spent their days with the sun and the moon, and spoken with the Lords themselves.

Her feet took her to the Temple of Time. Having awoken, struck by her very mortal soul, she was too afraid to pray to Leth or Syna. Surely they would know of her secular thoughts and be less forgiving for it. Johanne had never spoken to a god, had never prayed for help, or worshipped their greatness. To Johanne, it seemed to make much more sense to have her first encounter with worship in the temple to the most impartial god of all: Time. Tanroa stood above all things. Surely she would not be offended by Johanne’s lack of knowledge. If Johanne felt nothing before the great God of Time, then she would take it as a sign that she was meant to leave piety to others.
Last edited by Johanne on December 15th, 2012, 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
“For my part I know nothing with any certainty, but the sight of the stars makes me dream.”
Vincent Van Gogh
Johanne
These scars are stories.

Words: 168999
Joined roleplay: September 2nd, 2012, 8:48 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Johanne on December 7th, 2012, 11:08 am

Even despite Tanroa's impartiality, as Johanne drew ever closer to her temple, she began to feel nervous. Surely there would be priestesses of some kind, or other devout individuals who would judge Johanne. She could see herself now: standing before a grand altar, her hands aloft, her mouth open--and stuck. No words of praise, no words of worship, would come out. She did not know how to worship the Gods and it seemed now to be an ever lonely state to have lived in.

Johanne was faced with the dizzying heights of the Misty Peaks as she approached the highest tier of the Sartu Peak. Here, the sunlight was warm against her face, and Johanne could feel her skin begin to singe, slightly: the reddened cheeks the sign of sunburn. She could not help but smile: Syna, so worshipped by the feminine, was strong and burnt any who displeased her. And when she looked out over the peaks and saw the forests that covered them, the foliage that seemed to spread ever on into the Unforgiving, Johanne knew that this was the realm of Caiyha. She was surrounded on all sides by the Gods, and yet she had no faith.

She found herself in a garden on the highest tier, looking to a statue of a beautifully sad middle aged woman. Through her upraised arms she was holding Syna. She looked up. Here was Tanroa's temple. It was crafted of skyglass, gleaming in the sun. Not a single inch of the temple was dull or cracked. It shone, a homage to the passages of time, crafted delicately into the shape of an hourglass, the jewels embedded in the roof glittering in the sunlight. Syna's rays and Tanroa's altar merged into one: Time and her child, working together in their mysterious ways.

Johanne breathed. The Temple of Time was beautiful, in the way that jewels and gold are beautiful. They shine, they grab your attention, they hold it and do not release you until you are weeping, knowing you will never be as valuable as they. She felt all the more insignificant in the face of the Temple. Suddenly, Johanne regretted having chosen the Temple of Time to pay her respects. While Syna or Leth may have judged her for her secularity, at least they knew she was someone with hopes and dreams. In Tanroa's eternal vision, Johanne's stories did not matter. They were something to be swallowed up by the current of the river of time.

But she had come nonetheless. Here, Johanne stood in the courtyard of the Temple of Time. She was steps away from communion with a god, if a silent one. And she could not let her fear of the future or the past dictate her present. Thus, Johanne breathed, squared her shoulders, and walked forward: into the Temple of Time. Into the House of Tanroa.
“For my part I know nothing with any certainty, but the sight of the stars makes me dream.”
Vincent Van Gogh
Johanne
These scars are stories.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Johanne on January 6th, 2013, 12:05 pm

Inside the temple the sight that lay before Johanne's wondering eyes was so very different to the gleaming perfection of the outside facade. While the skyglass that had glittered in the sun had been perfectly shaped by the powers of the Akka, gifted unto them by the Star Alvina, inside cracks grew. They snaked their ways up walls, and through the stone floor, leaving you to wonder if time was going to swallow you up at any given moment.

Inside the room, unimpressive and seemingly forgotten, there was a musty smell, dust mites floating through whatever beams of light managed to touch this dark forgotten place. A chandelier hung precariously from the roof, as if it were to crash to the floor at any moment, the crystal shattering and reflecting Johanne's wide eyes in every direction. But it would probably never fall. It would stay where it was, forevermore, frozen in time. In the center of the mossy temple lay the crystal orb of Tanroa.

Johanne had only heard of it from Inecino, when she had asked casually one slow work day, when they had nothing to do but make notes of the accounts and make a checklist for the inks. In a city filled to the brim with the fallen of Syna and Leth, she had never heard of any devout to Tanroa, and yet she knew there stood a glorious temple. Inecino had told her of the mystery of the orb inside: during the day, the water inside the glass began to drain to an invisible source, and while Leth ruled, it slowly began to fill again. Day after day, whatever season, this phenomenon repeated itself.

Inecino, when Johanne had asked, had not known if it were magic, Animation, Alchemy, whatever it be, but perhaps it was just a gift from Tanroa that the devout had left in its wake. This morning, when Johanne gazed upon the decrepit temple, the orb's waters lay about one third of the orb high. Syna was taking control of the sky.

Johanne let a deep breath out, tasting the musty air on her tongue. She suddenly felt as though in here, in the presence of Tanroa, it did not matter if it were night or day, if the sun was shining or the moon full, if it were raining or scorching hot. The air in the Temple of Time would remain forever still; never changing, always standing as an island in the passage of Time, cared by for Tanroa.

It was a strange experience to be standing here. As a woman and a human destined to die, Johanne could never quite know what it was like to live without time, could never imagine the true implications of being the alpha and the omega, and yet in this room, she felt infinitely small. She had long thought she would be offended by that: all she wanted was to have her stories last. But she realised that once she wrote her words, they were no longer hers. They may or may not live forever, but Johanne herself would die one day, and yet she was nevertheless grateful to Tanroa for giving her these few years to breathe.
Vincent Van Gogh
Johanne
These scars are stories.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Johanne on January 6th, 2013, 12:42 pm

Johanne swallowed the silent air, breathing deep, aware that the silence was a homage to Tanroa, too. She was reluctant to break the quiet: the quiet was, after all, what would remain once Tanroa had consumed all else. It was so strange being in this room and so aware of her power. It was not that Johanne did not respect or believe in Tanroa's power, or any of the Gods, for that matter. It was simply that they had no bearing on how she lived her everyday life.

It was only now, looking at the waters in the orb and the chandelier that threatened to crack and fall, that she realised that Tanroa, though impartial, was the reason Johanne had been blessed with days to live and write. It was a terrifying thought to Johanne. She owed Tanroa the time she used to write. Tanroa had the power to take that time away at any single moment. The silence grew deafening. Johanne felt a churning in her stomach.

But she had not ventured over bridges and over peaks to come so close to communion and then crack like the walls of this Temple. She took a step forward, making her way down the dusty steps that looked as if no one had walked down them in an age. Perhaps they had not. Perhaps Johanne was the only one to think of the time goddess in eons. Trying to keep her footfall as light and stealthy as she could, and yet failing miserably, Johanne approached the mystical orb that stood in the centre of the room, the barest rays of Syna's light illuminating the glass and the water.

The orb looked so much larger and imposing now that she was standing beneath it. She could not imagine where the water went, or if it simply flowed into the river of Time like everything else did. It was so strange to be here, beneath an altar, a shrine to a Goddess, and an implacable one, too. Not for the first time, Johanne wished she had visited Leth's Temple, or Syna's. They were not so imposing. They were more accessible. And they were less silent. Here, in this empty Temple, Johanne was alone with the most immovable force in the world, the force that crushed and consumed all things, and that would eventually consume itself.

And yet she would speak nonetheless. She broke the silence. She was alone with Tanroa and the dust mites in the air. She would speak, if timidly, reverently.
Vincent Van Gogh
Johanne
These scars are stories.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Johanne on January 6th, 2013, 12:42 pm

"Goddess of Time," she said, quietly, her voice carrying endlessly through the silence. She paused, thinking. "You are above all things. You watch endlessly down on us, moving through day and night like ants on an anthill. You can see everything and anything. The shadows and the night mean nothing to you. You are omniscient and omnipresent. And for that I am in awe." She paused, swallowing. All true. She had not lied. And yet she felt that she was not being honest enough. She tried again.

"You watch fathers and brothers die in battle to defend their children and their homes. You've seen this world shattered and wrenched apart. You watched the people of Mizahar cower beneath the stone. And yet you still watched."

"Your River, like this Temple, runs silently on. But the cries of the people on this world are deafening, Goddess. I don't understand." There it was. The truth. 'I don't understand.' Her words began to run freely now. "I cried for so many nights of my childhood, and you watched. You watched my mother scorn me for my heart, you saw my skin crack and bleed because of the touch of one man, and you can see it beginning to happen again. And yet you stand above us all. You watch us in the waters and you do nothing."

"It is only today that I have come to murmur your names to the Heavens," her voice was louder now, cracking, her breath heavy and furious and her eyes smarting, "and it is only today that I have realised how angry I am at you. You hold within your hands eternity, Tanroa! You hold every failed dream, every realised hope! The corrupt live and the loved ones die! And you do nothing! You do nothing!"

"I am one strange little girl with scars in my flesh and a desperation to be remembered, and you hold that power within your chest, you breathe that power, you have even gifted a part of that power to Syna and Leth, Kihala and Dira! Tanroa... you watched my mother break me. The least you can do is tell me where the stories are!" She was yelling into the silence now.

"Show me the way into the Bharani Library, show me the stories that have lasted through your River, help me to understand what I need to conquer time and all your destructive passages! Tanroa, give me something, a word, a promise, something, anything, just give me a reason to walk beneath the sun and to continue to dream and to hope! For once, be something more than silent! Find me in your River!"
Vincent Van Gogh
Johanne
These scars are stories.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Johanne on January 6th, 2013, 12:52 pm

And yet, with tears running down her cheeks, the water still continued to drain, and silence still chose to stay still. Johanne was breathing heavily, gasping in the quiet, the only noise after her deluge of words. Her cheeks were red, and her throat stung with passion. The crystal and the water remained as pure and immaculate as they had been forever.

Johanne didn't know what she had been expecting. For the materialisation of Tanroa in the cracked room? For words that echoed in the cavernous temple? For the chandelier to fall and strike its crystals on the floor? She sighed, a hiccupy little noise, like the one a child makes after it has been granted the toy it had wanted more than anything else in that moment. She would not get any response from Tanroa that day.

She turned from the orb, and this time, as she walked back to the door, she made no effort to keep her footfalls silent. The slap of her boots on the ground let up a little cloud of dust with each step, ringing as an echo through the room. When she brought her hand to the door to escape this still room, she did not look back. But she could almost feel the orb draining away in silence. Could almost hear it dripping time away: an omen to Johanne that left her skeleton aching.

The renewal of the full glare of Syna against her cheeks seemed to awaken her to the sounds that existed outside: the chirping of birds in the trees, the rustling of the winds in the grasses, and the quiet bustle of Lhavit happening on the tiers below. She looked to the statue of Tanroa, her gentle hands still outstretched to caress her subject Syna. For a moment her eyes took in the statue, stunningly crafted, beautifully evocative. From there Johanne turned and left the Temple of Time behind her, her every heartbeat an echoing metronome, counting off the chimes she had left until Tanroa found her in the River.
Vincent Van Gogh
Johanne
These scars are stories.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Elysium on January 8th, 2013, 10:47 pm

Johanne

• Observation
  • +4
  • Rhetoric
  • +3

• Lore of Tanroa's Temple
  • How to Berate a God
  • Lore of Tanroa's River

Notes: This was a heart-wrenching solo despite it's brevity. You did a wonderful job of portraying angst in the Mizaharian world! You should consider re-posting this in the Divine Connections sub-forum and see if you get a reply. :) Let me know if you have any questions or concerns.

Elysium
Never venture, never win.

Words: 519270
Joined roleplay: December 12th, 2012, 9:49 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 3
Artist (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1)