Closed Overcoming Suspicions [Jesslyn]

Svasra Snowsong comes to read to Jesslyn Skyglow

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This northernmost city is the home of Morwen, The Goddess of Winter, and her followers who dwell year round in a land of frozen wonder. [Lore]

Overcoming Suspicions [Jesslyn]

Postby Svasra on January 13th, 2013, 3:11 am

Svasra Snowsong

"A people without the knowledge of their past history, origin and culture is like a tree without roots."
-Marcus Garvey

Timestamp: 30th of Winter, 512 AV [Around 15th bell]

Svasra would admit it, fully and openly, that she was hesitant to travel today, even though she promised to. The thought of bearing the brunt of odd looks and suspicious expressions didn't lift her mood from its dour beginnings of this day. A ship was discovered to be ruined in the night, and it caused the tense underlying truce between the Holds to shudder even more. Svasra found herself surrounded by Snowsongs that insisted she not go anywhere alone. The Vantha was sure they would accompany her to the washrooms if not protested. Svasra sighed, and looked out the window, seeing as it was late afternoon, and there was only so much procrastination Svasra could entitle herself to. She had already written today, and cleaned the small Arvinta she and her parents lived in . . . Svasra steeled her gaze and reached for her boots. It was time to go to Skyglow Hold.

It had only been a few nights since Svasra and Jesslyn met in the Red Diamond Tavern, a hesitant one that was wary of the animosity growing between Holds. Yet, they'd managed to find some familiar grounds, resting on the words of stories; something Svasra always loved, and Jesslyn could not read. Her little journal become a topic of conversation, and their ways parted with the promise to come in on the 30th of winter to share its contents. Who knew a midnight outing would start a friendship?

As Svasra walked out of her Hold, she politely wriggled out of the offer to walk her to where-ever she was going. Was it shameful to say she never said she was travelling to another Hold? Pace brisk and confident, Svasra walked the length from Snowsong Hold to Skyglow, passing the time by admiring the land around her. Avanthal never failed to enthrall her with its graceful beauty, sparkling in the light of the sun, even though its people were moody and anxious. It brought Svasra's thoughts towards the attack on Coolwater Hold, something that puzzled her immensely as to whom might have performed such treachery. They were bringing actual war between the Holds, if the dead dogs with Frostfawn days before was any inclination.

Svasra had to stop her mindless wondering as she approached the Hold, and slowed her pace slightly in subconscious reluctance. Alright, it's only a Hold, I can do this, she assured herself as she picked up one of the many pieces of ice that can be found lying around. Touching the mark of Morwen placed on the underside of her left wrist, the piece of ice shed some of its contents to change from a lump to a small snowflake. It was only about the size of her palm, but when Svasra closed her eyes and ran a finger over its edges and contours she was happy to see that it could easy recognized by feel. She studied it for a moment, and touched her gnosis each time she wished to change the shape of the snowflake, until it was detailed enough to her satisfaction - which almost took ten chimes.

Snowflake in hand, Svasra took a breath, and walked into the Skyglow Hold. She smiled pleasantly, though seemed to only be returned with blank faces and confused expressions, and tried to keep her head up as she wanted to the location Jesslyn said her Arvinta was. On the way though, a Skyglow appeared out of no where and stepped right into her path. "Can I help you with anything?" she asked kindly-enough, though her gaze held a suspicion to deep to hide.
"No, I am just coming to see a friend," Svasra answered evenly, blinking a gray-blue gaze at the Vantha.
"Just visiting?" the Skyglow continued, to which Svasra nodded and showed the snowflake she'd done. Taking it up in her hand, the Skyglow scrutinized the attempt at visual artistry with seeming amusement. "Not bad," was all she said as she gave it back, nodded, and went on her way.

Svasra let out a breath she hadn't realized she was holding, and continued on, coming to Jesslyn's in a matter of chimes. Knocking on the door, Svasra looked at the snowflake with a small snort. Well, I'm quite happy with it, she thought absently, using her gnosis to keep it frozen in the warmer air of the Hold. "Jesslyn?" she called, knocking again, hoping the woman was home and Svasra wouldn't have to awkwardly walk out of the Hold chimes after she came in - that would just appear suspicious. Whoever is doing this to the Holds, it's working, I feel as tense as a spring . . .
Svasra
Sit by the fire, and listen to a legend.

Words: 212637
Joined roleplay: January 4th, 2013, 9:20 pm
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Jesslyn Skyglow on January 13th, 2013, 4:23 am

Jesslyn had been in the middle of trying to find her pink paint when a knock sounded. Almost dropping what was in her arms Jesslyn quickly moved to where her table should be and set down the other paints and brushes. "Jesslyn?" A familiar voice called with another knock.

Scrambling to the door Jesslyn lost balance but quickly caught it, "Give me a second." Following the wall she came to the door. Pulling on the handle she was greeted with a quick rush of air. Because there wasn't any immediate sounds around her she couldn't find the shape of anyone but she could hear the breathing. "Who is it?"

Jesslyn Skyglow
Remember the good times, and never forget.

Words: 127365
Joined roleplay: January 6th, 2013, 4:00 am
Character sheet
Scrapbook

Postby Svasra on January 13th, 2013, 3:04 pm

Svasra Snowsong

"A people without the knowledge of their past history, origin and culture is like a tree without roots."
-Marcus Garvey

Svasra waited patiently as she heard some movement within in response to her call. In a few moments a slight thump was heard as the person behind seemed to have tripped before catching themselves. Concerned, Svasra called, "Don't hurry, I don't mind," though the door was already opening. And there was Miss Jesslyn Skyglow.

Svasra smiled at the woman and almost expressed surprise when she asked, "Who is it?" before remembering she could not tell.
"Ah, sorry, it's Svasra," the Snowsong chimed, taking Jesslyn's hand into her own to give her the snowflake. "I brought you something," she added as she wriggled into the Arvinta, not willing to hang around outside much longer.

"It's a tiny ice sculpture I made on the way here," Svasra said, touching the snowflake with one hand and her gnosis with the other simultaneously to ensure it froze solid. It was melting in the warmer air of the Hold, and even began to as Svasra pulled away, though she hoped Jesslyn would feel it before it went to water. "See you if you can guess what it is," Svasra added in a slightly over-eager tone, as she was quite proud of the tiny snowflake with all its detail that had taken her almost ten chimes to make.

Svasra looked around herself briefly, and noticed the mess of paints and brushes on the table nearby. "Did I interrupt you?" Svasra asked with slight worry, touching her journal for subconscious comfort as she peered at the blind Skyglow. "I .. um ... can come later ..." she added lamely.
Svasra

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Jesslyn Skyglow on January 13th, 2013, 4:55 pm

" Come in, Come in!" Jesslyn rushed with a smile. She had forgotten that she had accepted Svasra to come over. Svasra grabbed her hand and put in it a small cold object. "You didn't have to." Jesslyn let her other hand reach to touch it, to see what the gift was. She could feel ice...but it was melting. It was thin. So it couldn't be an icicle. "Is it...snow?"

Jesslyn was slightly upset when the object melted, leaving only water in her hand. Reaching to close her door she turned to Svasra, who appeared to be worried. " Interrupting something? No I was still trying to find colors. I hadn't even started to look for the right brushes." Jesslyn could feel that Svasra was nervous but she didn't see why. "Come now. I wasn't in the middle of anything, nor the beginning." Pausing Jesslyn clapped her hand, "Besides,I need your helping finding something first. If you are up for it, of course!"

Jesslyn had lost her small bottle of medication. And even blind Jesslyn knew that her home was riddled with art supplies here and there, paintings up against every wall, waiting to be sold. And her shoes, cloak, jacket, walking stick, and cooking knife were all....well she couldn't find the other shoe and the other items were all over the place. Sylvia hadn't visited her in a while so the home was messy as always.

Jesslyn Skyglow

Character sheet
Scrapbook

Postby Svasra on January 13th, 2013, 8:01 pm

Svasra Snowsong

-Marcus Garvey

"Is it...snow?" Svasra looked over at her, a slight pout turning down her expression as she walked back to Jesslyn's side. Looking over her shoulder, Svasra saw that the ice had melted, and before the water fully escape Jesslyn's hands, she froze it again and took it into her own hands. It was simple now because she already knew the shape, and was able to make it within a chime. "Ah, sorry, try it now," Svasra said as she took Jesslyn's finger to trace over the ice snowflake she held in her hand, that she was able to keep frozen with her gnosis.

As Svasra waited for Jesslyn's guess, the woman responded to her bout of comments when she walked into the door. "Interrupting something? No I was still trying to find colors. I hadn't even started to look for the right brushes. Come now. I wasn't in the middle of anything, nor the beginning. Besides,I need your helping finding something first. If you are up for it, of course!" Svasra nodded and closed her hand around the snowflake when Jesslyn was finished, melting it and wiping it on her coat.

Looking around herself, Svasra noticed the mess that riddled the household. There was knife on the table by the art supplies, there seemed to be a show sticking out from under the bed .. while the other was by her coat and walking stick. Svasra looked to Jesslyn and smiled with a light laugh. "If we can find anything in here," she paused and placed her put on the table, "I can tell you a story and help you clean up, if you'd like, I'm sure whatever you lost will show up then."
Svasra

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Jesslyn Skyglow on January 13th, 2013, 10:19 pm

Jesslyn paused again when she thought over what Svasra had her touch, "Is...is that was snowflakes look like? Well.."Jesslyn paused with a small smile, "Feel like, more so for me. They usually melt too quickly for me to tell what they look like."

Jesslyn rubbed the back of her neck and smiled sheepishly, "Yeah....It is pretty messy." Jesslyn stopped, "Oh no. You are here for story's. Not to try and clean up this rats nest. Besides.."she paused feel along the wall for where her walking stick should be, "Sylvia is really the only person who know's where to put everything so I can find it later." Jesslyn smiled, "Oh of course. What we are looking for is a small...leather wrapped vial. If it's open it will smell sweet." Jesslyn paused thinking over, "And maybe another chair... I know where one is but I suspect the other is over with the rest of my supplies hiding from me."

Jesslyn Skyglow

Character sheet
Scrapbook

Postby Svasra on January 17th, 2013, 1:01 am

Svasra Snowsong

-Marcus Garvey

Svasra stared at Jesslyn intently as the Vantha paused to guess the shape that Svasra held frozen in her palm, eyes flickering colors in her mild anxiety. Finally though, Jesslyn spoke and asked, "Is...is that was snowflakes look like? Well.. Feel like, more so for me. They usually melt too quickly for me to tell what they look like." It would be wrong to say Svasra didn't feel a huge flash of pride and accomplishment, nodding eagerly.
"Exactly! I'm glad you were able to recognize it!!" Svasra said with a large grin.

As Jesslyn waved away her offer to clean, Svasra almost voiced a protest, though she was assured someone else normally did the job. Nodding with a small sigh, Svasra began the hunt, humming lightly. "What stories would you like to hear today?" she asked as she rummaged through the household, picking up various vials only to learn they were too large and contained paint anyways. Wrinkling her nose, Svasra continued on.

The chair was easy to find as it was much larger than a vial, and Svasra placed it by the table, moving the paints to Jesslyn's bedside - which she voiced to Jesslyn, and the knife to the kitchen - also told to the blind Skyglow. "I could tell you a Skyglow legend," she offered as she found a small vial that appeared to have fallen from the main table, sniffing it delicately. "I think this is it!" Svasra finally exclaimed, after many false leads, rising to give the vial to Jesslyn.

"There is a legend of the Frostfawn Sculptures, Morwen's lights painted by a Skyglo- .... " Svasra trailed off as her gaze was drawn to the various paintings she hadn't really taken noticed of before. The Snowsong couldn't help but be drawn to the them, as all Vantha loved the beautiful colors of the Aurora, they loved the colors of paint. She crouched before one of them, tilting her head from side to side to get various angles, as though that would change her perception of it. "You're very talented," Svasra voiced with a note of appreciation, touching the canvas' corner before returning to the table. "How long have you been painting for?"

oocTerribly sorry for the posting rate, I can't post normally during the weekdays. Thank you for being patient (:
Svasra

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Jesslyn Skyglow on January 17th, 2013, 4:26 am

Huffing when she couldn't find her walking stick she simply leaned on the wall and listened to Svasra as she moved around Jesslyn's mess she liked to call a home. "I....I honestly don't know." Jesslyn shrugged, "I know that tales are words but I don't know what they look like or anything. Writing has no meaning to me....but the mouth does of course." Jesslyn quickly covered not wanting to offend the other Vantha.

Jesslyn heard paper, vials, bottles, brushed, and then finally the sound of wood as Svasra found the other chair. "A Skyglow tale.....I like that sound of that. I haven't lived here long enough to here to know as much as I do about Whitevine's hold. " she paused and then smiled when Svasra exclaimed she thought she had found it. The leathery vial was placed in her hands and Jesslyn brought it to her nose. It smelled at it should and the nick on the bottle bottom told her it was it. Tipping her head back she carefully lead it to her eyes and allowed two drops to fall into each eye.

Scrunching her eyes and then blinking she stopped the vial and listened as Svasra complimented her, "Thank you. I really never know what they look like...well I kinda do but....I can't see the shapes I'm making or the colors I use. But I can, only if there are sounds around, see my movements and I know what colors look good together after friends, family's, and others have helped over the years." She paused and thought over it actually how long she had been painting, "Well.... It really started with mud and the family walls..and that was about like.....5 years." Jesslyn's eyebrows were brought together as she thought over, "I would have to say the first year my parents actually agreed to get me a artists kit would be at age 8. Thought they still tried to teach me to work on the human body....that didn't work out all too well." Jesslyn giggled at the thought of a blind woman being the best Whitevine there ever was. Then snorted at the after thought.

"How long have you been...telling tales or writing them for? Wait, did you marry into your Hold?"
Jesslyn Skyglow

Character sheet
Scrapbook

Postby Svasra on January 18th, 2013, 12:16 am

Svasra Snowsong

-Marcus Garvey

Svasra tilted her head as Jesslyn briefly contemplated which story to hear, and the young Vantha couldn't help but smile at the agreement Jesslyn came to. "A Skyglow tale.....I like that sound of that. I haven't lived here long enough to here to know as much as I do about Whitevine's hold."
"Long enough?" Svasra echoed, blinking at the girl. "You weren't born into Skyglow?" she continued with a slight edge of surprise. Looking around, Svasra saw no large amount of evidence of another person, so the prospect of Jesslyn being married in seemed null. Svasra couldn't help but commend the bravery it must have taken to fully switch into a new Hold. She would have never done it, she didn't think she could have. To leave her family, and friends - of course she would see them, but there is something different about relationships between Holds as there is with your own. "You must be very brave."

The conversation lingered on the topic briefly, with Svasra realizing Jesslyn was born into Whitevine. Nodding briefly, the woman now understood why Jesslyn would have switched - it must've been very hard trying to learn anatomy when she couldn't see it. Svasra nodded her head, not really feeling it was appropriate to laugh - though Jesslyn seemed to find amusement within it. Unable to help herself, Svasra softly chuckled at the thought of a blind Whitevine, though she assumed by smelling the medicine and listening to details, it could definitely be possible.

"How long have you been...telling tales or writing them for? Wait, did you marry into your Hold?" Svasra briefly froze at the mention of marrying into her Hold, and looked to Jesslyn. The tension in her shoulders melted as her eyes flickered colors, and Svasra looked away.
"No, I'm an Icemaiden," the poet said with a short shrug of her shoulders. "I was born into Snowsong. Since I learned to walk, I learned to write, then to rhyme. The storytelling came later." Sitting down, Svasra briefly arranged the table and pulled the journal towards her. Flipping through, and taking out her quill and ink jar, Svasra hummed lightly.

"Why not the Lights of Morwen?" she asked tilting her head. "It's a different version of how Morwen created the lights," she said, smiling at the Skyglow. It was a mixed story of their two Holds, in a way, she thought it would be nice to hear.
Svasra

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Jesslyn Skyglow on January 18th, 2013, 3:34 am

Jesslyn could here the sadness in Svasra's voice when she proclaimed that she was an icemaiden, "There's really nothing to be ashamed of. You know... Sylvia calls me her Lovely Icemaiden. I have accepted that not all of us are granted that 'blessing' of pestering husbands and whinny children. But are blessing is on our skill." Jesslyn smiled at the other icemaiden.

Jesslyn could here to sound of things moving on her table and flushed, "Yeah.." she rubbed the back of her neck, "Sorry it's messy. I would clean it but I think that's worse than a blizzard coming through here."

Jesslyn thought over the title of the tale, "Have you ever seen Morwen yourself?" Jesslyn paused and then moved to the table searching for the other chair. Finally finding it she continued, "I heard she appeared as cold as ice. But her heart is as worm as the sun. And that her beauty is unmatched." Jesslyn smiled, "But I kind-of believe that people are too frost-struck to actually hold a conversation with her. And that maybe she would like to have someone to talk to once in a while."

Jesslyn flushed again and her eyes, for once, hued a little closer to a blueish color instead of the usual purple, "I always hoped I would be that someone." Jesslyn clapped her hand and motioned to Svasra, "Now, tell this tale that sounds fascinating and ignore my constant talk." Her eye's once again went back to the dull purple and her pupils stayed the ever dead grey.

For a woman so blind, she held so much vivid emotion and vision. Most would never get to see this but Svasra was in luck. Svasra, though she didn't know, was one of the few who had seen Jesslyn's eye's change as much as the damaged cells could.

Last edited by Jesslyn Skyglow on January 21st, 2013, 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jesslyn Skyglow

Character sheet
Scrapbook

Next