Malediction and Tattoo's

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Malediction and Tattoo's

Postby Floh on January 19th, 2013, 9:45 pm

So I was reading the articles on tatooing, and malediction and I came up with this idea about making enchanted tattoos.

My question is basically a theory,

Lets say a maledictor picked up a tiger bone, and crushed it into a fine fine powder and mixed it into a black ink.

Now that black ink has the remains of the tiger.

What if this maledictor took a tattoo needle, and put the malediction circles on the person and then covered over them with an a picture of a tiger.

Would this person get an malediction style enchantment from the tattoo?

And would artwork, and quality of the ink enhance the enchantment?
Floh
Slithering Away

Words: 17268
Joined roleplay: January 8th, 2013, 2:17 am
Race: Dhani
Character sheet

Malediction and Tattoo's

Postby Verilian on January 21st, 2013, 11:41 pm

I am not an expert, you might want to wait until a founder replies to this.. but from what I remember of Malediction, I know that damaging the item or splitting it up and mixing it with other things makes it weaker. In theory, I guess you might be able to do this, but you'd probably have to be a master to get a noticeable effect out of it.
Forecast for tonight... Dark
-----
Wind Reach---Wind Reach Lore---WR Request Thread
Verilian
Retired Staff

Words: 1113582
Joined roleplay: December 23rd, 2010, 9:53 pm
Race: Staff account
Storyteller secrets
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Featured Contributor (1) Trailblazer (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Malediction and Tattoo's

Postby Floh on January 22nd, 2013, 12:28 am

Well thats cool

Even if it was a minor effect it might make them desirable in some of the more tribal areas. And be an interesting thing to develope from a player perspective.

Thank you for your two cents Verilian, me personaly I havent a clue but I like the idea.

And ill wait for a more definitive answer, as you said its probably one of those things that should be left to a founder.
Floh
Slithering Away

Words: 17268
Joined roleplay: January 8th, 2013, 2:17 am
Race: Dhani
Character sheet

Malediction and Tattoo's

Postby Jackalope on January 22nd, 2013, 1:20 am

It's an interesting idea, but I'd mostly agree with what V said. Malediction requires drawing, carving, painting, on the fetish to draw out its power. So by grinding it up you remove that component. The circles can be made of up anything, and the only real important thing when it comes to the circle is its staying power. So if you were drawing malediction circles on a living creature, then you would be using their power, rather than the tiger that you used in this scenario.

Also, as V said, you would be damaging the base item and that ruins it in most cases. A master might be able to get something out of it, but it's not going to be full effect.

That's my interpretation it, anyways. :) If a founder overrules me I'll go sit in the corner and color like a good boy. :D
Jackalope
Check out that bunny heat

Words: 128580
Joined roleplay: September 27th, 2012, 6:56 pm
Race: Staff account
Scrapbook
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)

Malediction and Tattoo's

Postby Miria on January 22nd, 2013, 1:55 am

Maybe you can use your body as the parchment for glyphing.

Has anyone tried talking to the founders about that?

I mean with Reinmancy you already suffer long scars through your body right?
Don't ever be a sheep. If you HAVE to be a sheep at least be a rainbow sheep.
Miria
Knowing me. Knowing how to love again.

Words: 236304
Joined roleplay: December 10th, 2012, 6:07 am
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Malediction and Tattoo's

Postby Vick on February 2nd, 2013, 3:24 am

Since I use this trade so many times I am going to help add my own thoughts to this. Only a novice would try this project. I say this as you want the bone as undamaged as you can find it.

If you first make the bone into the artifact, once the circles are broken than the magic is gone. Yet if you make into in the ink and crushed up than I am not very sure. I can see it going both ways of not working or working to a point. If the bones were from something great with a lot of djed (such as a high power wizard) and you turn them into ink I might see it working to a very low point. Malediction is very open in this area.

If Vick did this (he is close to Master rank) I think he could pull it off to a point but it would help if the bones he was using were a human base (in the sense of non animal) and also if they were a tattooist in life. I would also want the person working on the project to have a rather high drawing and tattooing skill to enhance the power since the clearly it is the better off.

Yet even if you have all the skills at 100 I still don't see it being pulled off well. It would be badass and give cool effects but I don't think you would do it for power but more for looks.
Credit goes to Ferrin Al'Mandrikan
Vick
Master Maledictor

Words: 355163
Joined roleplay: September 27th, 2010, 11:44 pm
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3