Hypnotist's Delight

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

Hypnotist's Delight

Postby Wrenmae on August 31st, 2012, 4:08 am

Spring 86, 512 AV
Few men live long with seeds of murder in their hearts. Most seek to release such darkness, others learn to bury them. For a hypnotist, there are few situations more explosive than jealousy and wrath. Combined they are a palpable firestorm, a raging maelstrom of potential gain at the cost of great pain. But…then and again, few hypnotists gain a level of power considerable enough to tip such scales without losing something of themselves.

Shroud was beyond guilt when he began stalking Professor Marvin. The Magecrafting professor was a surprisingly young man with a beautiful wife. As the story went, they had met abroad in Syliras and both retired to Zeltiva to teach. She was an important name in the Archeology department and both shared a romance some spoke of in conspiratorial jealousy. There was much to be said about the man, Professor Marvin, in a positive light. He was inventive, creative, a genius in his field. Truly he understand the movements of Djed and their role within the magecrafting process. He was sympathetic, caring, and easy to engage. A heartthrob for the young women who took his classes, the man simply thrived on the positive attention. However, if one had to point at a quality of the young professor not polished and refined, it would have to be his jealousy. Once, at a celebration, his wife, Professor Alana was approached by a new faculty member. Certainly he’d made light of the matter, but was inept in hiding his obvious interest in her. By the end of the night, Professor Marvin and knocked him to the floor with a well-placed punch.

Or so the stories went.

None of these stories were lost on Shroud, skulking through the department with impure motives. It was by chance he overheard the little story, delved more to learn that, much like her husband, Alana thrived on positive attention…particularly the sighing adoration of the males in her class. While nothing sordid ever occurred, enough tiny rumors were born between dreaming students to leave a path paved for the young hypnotist. For some time he’d wondered at the extents his hypnotic power could reach. This situation was a perfect test to his abilities.

First, of course, he needed a proper motive.

But that was hardly difficult.

“So not only do you teach, but you create Magecrafted items for wizards in Syliras?”

“Not just Syliras! Ahnatep! Sometimes Alvadas or Lhavit. I haven’t the same laboratory as the masters of Sahova, but I’ve been invited to the isle no less than twice. Of course the first experience was more than enough for me…errr…I mean to say, well, the isle is not so kind to those who still breathe. You know the nuits? What they are? Yes?”

Sitting in Marvin’s spacious office, Shroud nodded eagerly, easily playing the part of the excited student. “Yes sir, I met a few during my travels…and there are a small number here, yes?”

“Of course,” Marvin answered with a firm nod, “Plenty. Zeltiva and Sahova are usually most kind to the nuit…we’re some of the few people who understand their…erm…unique perspective on life.”

“Fascinating. But you mentioned you make magecrafted items? Any you’re currently working on?”

“Ah!” Marvin held up a hand, “I’m not supposed to speak about my projects. They’re private University matters. You understand.”

“Certainly,” Shroud agreed, sending a tendril of hypnotic ease into the teacher, “But what could it harm? I’ve considered pursuing Magecrafting for some time, but I’m not sure what employment is like for any accomplished users of the craft.”

What could it hurt? Imagined in his own voice, Marvin was the unwitting victim of the master hypnotist.

Sighing, sitting back in his chair and struggling with the answer, Marvin finally relented and put both arms on his desk. He motioned Wrenmae to sit closer and he did, craning his neck in as if they were two spies exchanging information.

“Very well, very well, but only a bit. I’m only a few days from finishing two projects of particular interest. There’s a mage in Sahova who wants to expedite the process of morphing. Imagine that…I always figured they changed slow as to be careful. Anyways, it isn’t completed yet, but it will take the form of a bracer that nearly doubles the natural speed of morphing…could be terribly dangerous with prolonged use, of course, but the genius is that it focuses Djed, funnels it, and utilizing the idea of Flux, morphing’s opposite, it creates waves of changes that flow to and from different places in the body…it’s faster, if but a little confusing.”

“And the second?”

“Oh! A sword for a knight in Syliras. He wanted a blade that could catch fire, so I’ve crafted him one. Pretty standard as far as Magecraft goes, but the fun was in encoding it only to him. No one else who picks up the blade will ever be able to use the sword, only him…that’s where it gets expensive, of course, in the steps and transformations…err, the effects, you understand? A Magecrafter could be a master, but they need a lot of expensive stuff to even make a good item. So, obviously you need a list of buyers who can supply you with the mizas you need to buy the supplies for creation.”

“Fantastic!” Shroud applauded, grinning, “Certainly an interesting field to go into.”

Marvin nodded, smiling, “Indeed! Indeed! Although I don’t typically welcome competition, I’m always happy to teach.”

“Certainly,” Wrenmae agreed with a nod, “I’ll certainly give it thought for next semester. Thank you Professor.”

As Marvin nodded, Wrenmae assaulted his mind again. Yes, the young man reminded him…just a few days ago, he’d seen a similar, although not exact, young man speaking to his wife. They’d seemed awfully friendly, close even, and her gaze had lingered for a moment too long on him as he headed off down the hall. Certainly she wasn’t unfaithful to him, but the seed of doubt would fan the jealousy Shroud already deduced was there. Too many stories, too many occurrences with the ‘great’ professor Marvin. Now the man had a certain something Shroud wanted.

The rest would follow.

Sig by Shausha

This PC has the Blight gnosis. As such, you as a player need to be aware of what that consists of. Wrenmae has an invisible aura that amplifies sickness and disease. Wounds may become infected, small sneezes may become coughing, and a slight fever may become more serious. A nuit's body will also break down faster in the presence of the Blight. These effects may not be immediate, but within the few days following your encounter, the symptoms will manifest. Some sooner than others. I cannot control your character, so creativity will be left up to you. Best wishes and stay healthy!

Special shoutout to Fallon for my new CS
Wrenmae
Taleweaver

Words: 1276299
Joined roleplay: April 15th, 2011, 6:34 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 9
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Trailblazer (2) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) 2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Hypnotist's Delight

Postby Wrenmae on December 14th, 2012, 12:45 am

A few days later, he found himself outside their household, a modest little home just a street from the University. Zan with him, he passed the house twice before letting his familiar slip beneath the door and into the home.

What do you see?

Stuff? I dunno. Clothes and drawings, and food, and windows, and normal stuff.

I need you to find me undergarments.

Running short?

Lady undergarments.

…having some gender issues there?

No you dolt, just get them.

That’s not how you ask.

Please?

Good girl.

There was a silence inside as Zan perused, finally settling on a chest of drawers. Not much one for physical labor, the familiar opted to utilize Wren’s morphing to shape two watery limbs it then used to tug the drawer open. One by one they slid open and finally, near the bottom, the familiar found what he was looking for. Taking a lacy pair of unmentionables, he drifted back to the door and opened it from the inside, pushing them out the crack. Shroud waited till they were unobserved, scooped them up, and placed them into his backpack. Zan came out after closing the door, slipping beneath it and back into the wizard’s hand.

Wren had already picked out a victim for this little game…a student by the name of Jeremiah Coldren, a rising star in the Archeology department and a handsome one at that. It was his image Wren had placed in Marvin’s mind speaking with his wife. Although certainly no relationship of the sort existed between them, it did not take much to fan the flames of doubt into a roaring fire of hatred and jealousy.

He’d chosen the night before semester’s end, an important evening for every student. Jeremiah had confided in Wren, personally, that he was nervous about working all night with Professor Alana. She was his faculty advisor and he wasn’t sure she would find his progress in the Suvan artifact and dissertation acceptable for application to graduation. His dream, as he told the hypnotist in confidence, was to work alongside the professor as equals. Always speaking at the behest of his manipulator, Jeremiah fed on the hypnotic inferiority Wren fed him which drove the boy to seek comfort in a perfect stranger. But Shroud had proved a sympathetic listener, always willing to offer advice and encouragement.

Plans upon plans.

Sig by Shausha

This PC has the Blight gnosis. As such, you as a player need to be aware of what that consists of. Wrenmae has an invisible aura that amplifies sickness and disease. Wounds may become infected, small sneezes may become coughing, and a slight fever may become more serious. A nuit's body will also break down faster in the presence of the Blight. These effects may not be immediate, but within the few days following your encounter, the symptoms will manifest. Some sooner than others. I cannot control your character, so creativity will be left up to you. Best wishes and stay healthy!

Wrenmae
Taleweaver

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Hypnotist's Delight

Postby Wrenmae on December 14th, 2012, 12:46 am

Jeremiah was due to be up all night with the Professor Alana, the rest relied on making sure they were the only ones in the department there in the evening. That was less a mark of hypnotism and more effective means of using Blight. Three days before the finals, Wrenmae was a constant fixture in the Archeology department, making sure to touch and be around almost all students and faculty, save Alana and Jeremiah. After their talk, Jeremiah was just getting over a nasty cold, but the rest of the Archeology department was quick to take to the Blight, especially with the high stress of end year studies.
He made sure, taking a jaunt down the hallway after hours the night before grades were due, listening in to the titter of conversation between the two of them. He identified no other voices in the area, and confident, began his way to where he would meet Professor Marvin, likely up late in his lab. Jeremiah would be just finishing with Alana, giving him time to return to his room at a slow pace. He needed to time this correctly, had walked the space between the dorm and this hall a hundred times to time it correctly. He’d have less than a chime to set the professor off…but Marvin would prove the simplest to manipulate. Confident his plan was still working, he started for the stairs. But he was stopped as a professor moved from the shadows of the hall down toward the classroom.

Swallowing a snarl, the hypnotist swiftly strode to intercept the faculty, a wiry haired older man. He looked sick, certainly, but plodded on regardless. He only paused when Shroud stood in his way, looking down at the young man with weary indifference.

“Excuse me, young man.”

“Going in tonight, Professor?” Shroud asked with a smile, “You don’t look well.”

“I’m not well, but I have an obligation to my class to grade their papers…papers I seemed to have left in the office.”

“Surely they’ll understand,” Shroud countered, lancing out with a hypnotic lash at the older man, he played into the professor’s weaknesses, giving him the impression that his head hurt more, his nose was stuffier, and it was altogether unbearable. “You can start fresh tomorrow.”

“Do I know you?” Another sniff, his form visibly bent, already weighing down under the hypnotic negativity.

“Certainly, Professor, I’m in one of your beginning archeology courses.”

“I don’t teach beginning archeology.”

Shroud bit back the urge to punch the aged fool. His overconfidence had landed him in a trap. “Oh? You look a bit like my professor, I apologize sir. But certainly your students would understand if you rested up? You can’t be fully fair if you aren’t feeling up to grade.”

“I…suppose,” the professor said with a sigh, “I thought I could handle it, but nearly at the door and I just feel awful.” He still regarded Shroud with suspicion, but his mind suffered the same congestion as his nose, a reminder of his sickness. Had he been a well man, Shroud would have needed far better to convince him. Turning from the young mage, the Professor shrugged his shoulders and started back up the stairs. Shroud followed behind, making the occasional small talk and well wishes till they split at the top.

Late. He was late. Dashing up to the Magecrafting lab, he found them all closed. Moving to the one that had Professor Marvin’s name emblazoned in bronze on the outside, he reached up to open it…and found it stuck.

Sig by Shausha

Wrenmae
Taleweaver

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Hypnotist's Delight

Postby Wrenmae on December 14th, 2012, 12:46 am

Stuck.

Shroud’s mind whirled. Was he too late? Had the professor already left? Smacking the flat of his hand on the door, he sunk to his knees. All that effort, wasted…completely wasted.

But the door relinquished, opening to reveal a tired looking Marvin looking down at the mage in surprise.

“W…Wrenmae, right?”

“Err, Yes,” Wrenmae said with a relieved smile, “Good morning Professor. I tried to enter but…”

“Oh!” Marvin smiled, holding out his right hand, “Couldn’t if you wanted to. Only this hand or one of someone my superior can open this door, Magecrafted you know.”

“Of course.” It changed some things…not many, but some.

“Well, my boy, what are you doing here this late?”

Looking away from Marvin, Wrenmae swallowed the act of the penitent student. Instead he went with a sigh, a haggard sigh, as if what he was about to say did not sit well on his conscious. “Professor…” He sighed again, seemed to almost slump, “It pains me to tell you this. I wrestled with it for bells upon bells. It can’t be my place to say anything.”

“What happened?” Marvin’s face grew cloudy. He was already thinking of his wife, certainly. Every time Shroud had seen him, a direct spike of hypnotic Djed had leeched into his insecurities, leaving them at the forefront of his mind these past few days. Such was the way of men who tried to covet something they felt they didn’t deserve. At some level, he had already planned for his in his head, had enacted the scenarios. Would he cry? Would he break down? No. This man had too much fire in him, and there was so much more the hypnotist could motivate.

“I saw your wife and Jeremiah in the dorm hallway earlier,” He confessed, “I would have come to you directly, but I…I didn’t know what to say at first.”

Marvin’s face clouded and he lashed out, striking Shroud across the face. The mage fell backward holding his cheek as the taller Magecrafter boiled in the doorway, “YOU WHAT?! You saw and you didn’t tell me? How long ago? Where?”

No apology then. Perfect.

Wrenmae fed him another lance of fury in hypnotic influence, quickening his fury, burning hot the flames of vengeance.

“I’m sorry, I’m sorry,” the student uttered, holding his cheek, “His dorm is 5B, I think it was unlocked when I went by it…after.”

“After?!”

“They were…noisy.”

Sig by Shausha

Wrenmae
Taleweaver

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Hypnotist's Delight

Postby Wrenmae on December 14th, 2012, 12:48 am

Marvin stormed past Shroud, leaving him on the ground as the door swung shut behind him. Glancing back at the door, Shroud clicked his tongue irritably. He’d have to find another way in after all this…and it meant he couldn’t stand away from this cleanly.

Earlier in the evening, Shroud had stood outside Jeremiah’s room. The only one in the hall during studying hours, slipping Zan beneath the door to open it on the other end was simple. Jeremiah roomed alone, the product of a student leaving midway through the semester to Syliras for the Knights. A series of coincidences had coincided with such perfect placement, it was almost impossible not to take advantage of the notion. Zan had opened the door and Wren stepped inside. He made sure to leave Jeremiah’s strewn clothes where they were strewn, tossing up the covers in the bed and dangling the unmentionables in such a way as to leave one strap slipped beneath the door.

In case the Professor asked…which Shroud doubted he’d have the peace of mind to do, Shroud spent the next few moments morphing his voice between male and female, crying out as minutes passed and shaking the room around as if in the throes of passion. More than one irritable knock told him he was doing his job, and he waited a chime or two after to make sure he was alone again before exiting the dorm and pulling the strap partly through the bottom of the door, a hook for a nervous husband.

Wrenmae followed at a jog, calling Marvin’s name after the professor. What he was really doing was seeding visions of violence in Marvin’s head. Beat Jeremiah’s face in, smash him against the wall, strangle him for his betrayal…then to turn it on his lovely wife. Marvin appeared to be a passionate man, put his heart and soul into his work and into his marriage. With such powerful personalities, there were bound to be some unfortunate violent tendencies involved. The hypnotist let those images flow, imagined in his own voice. Kill him. Beat him. Show him what it means to be betrayed.

Marvin wasn’t thinking, and Shroud was counting on that very fact.

When Marvin arrived at Jeremiah’s room, Shroud hung around the corner, content simply to watch his tailored work. The strap was removed from beneath the door…he’d been a touch slow…Jeremiah had beaten him, likely absolutely perplexed at what was strewn in his room. Marvin pounded on the door, a reverberating crashing that no doubt disturbed the frantic studiers in the hall. Unsuspecting, Jeremiah opened the door and blinked at the furious face of Marvin. Shroud couldn’t see the fellow, but he didn’t need to. Reaching out with his Djed, he ignited a single torrent of pure fury, an emotional flash of hatred and violence that brought the poor Magecrafter to a near froth. Lifting his hands, he stepped into the room and brought his fist with him, heralding his intrusion. Shroud heard the intake of breath, the smash of a body against a desk. Both were outside of his sight. Without manipulative control over the situation, he could only crowd with the many students at the entry of the door, watching as Marvin dealt blow after blow to a prone Jeremiah until his body stopped moving, save to reflexively kick at nothing, and his face was a bloody mess. Whether he breathed or not was irrelevant, Marvin’s credentials were shattered. Wheeling up from his victim, eyes wild, fists covered in blood, the Professor whirled on those watching. Everyone shrank away, including Shroud who sent the memory of his wife along with an accompanying emotional surge of rage for his betrayal. Her lover had been punished, but what of her? What of the harlot who slept with that man, who betrayed him?

Frantic, Marvin tore out of the room, bowling students aside as he rushed toward the front of the University. The timing of this would be tricky…no doubt the Waveguard would be called, or other University staff to subdue the feral Magecrafter. If he was to get anywhere, it would need to be in the precious moments he had.

“Professor!” Shroud called out to him, emphasizing the word, surging sudden alertness into his puppeted body. Marvin twisted and Shroud pointed up the staircase, gravely, “I thought I heard her moving up to your lab…perhaps she intended to find and lie to you?”

Sig by Shausha

Wrenmae
Taleweaver

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Hypnotist's Delight

Postby Wrenmae on December 14th, 2012, 12:51 am

Marvin didn’t question Shroud, didn’t even bother to ask how he could have heard it. His mind was so rage-drunk on the hypnotic Djed Shroud had been feeding him that he simply took the stairs three at a time, muttering curses and her name in one long monosyllabic tangle of sounds. He pushed the doors open to his laboratory, gave a cursory glance, and dashed out. He didn’t bother to check the doors as Shroud slipped inside, nor the boot he left behind to hold the door from clicking shut. The hypnotist had only a few moments to search for what he wanted. Several boxes waited on the table, one clearly addressed to Sahova. Shroud didn’t think, simply grabbed it. He hadn’t seen a bracer laying out anywhere else and so he assumed he had the right item. He’d have to check later, but he needed to finish the vicious cycle.

He followed Marvin at a sprint, reaching to his belt and pulling out the quiet Zan.

Now. Go ahead and fly into her lungs. When he chokes her, cut off her air supply until she’s dead.

What’s the point of this?

Covering loose ends. Marvin is mad, insane, obviously, and responsible for the death of his wife…if not Jeremiah. They’ll lock him up.

I mean. What was the point of all this?

The prize.

That you didn’t even check on.

It’s more about the process then, rather fun to pull these people along like puppets, don’t you think?

Maybe it’s an acquired taste.

You’ll learn.

Maybe not so well as you’d like. I’ll do it, Shroud, but on one condition.

Now you’re giving conditions?

Only if you want your plan to work.

Name it.

Never again. I don’t care if you DO like manipulating. We never do this again without good reason. Your magecrafted whatever was an excuse. You don’t even know if it’s still here, or even if it’s in that box. You wanted a reason to do it so you chose a poor one. In the future, you will have reason…and you will check your facts.

Awfully mouthy for a blob of water.

Awfully slow for someone who only has so long.

Fine. Deal. Shyke.

Tossing the familiar ahead of him, Zan bubbled out and soared over both their heads to Marvin’s house, slipped under the door, and was gone.

Marvin reached it only a moment or two later, barely bothering with the lock and shouldering it aside. Behind him, the night was full of whistles and shouts. The Waveguard would be on the scene in moments…it would be close, maybe too close.

Alana stood, shocked, in the doorway as Marvin burst through. Her hands were around her throat and her face was red with lack of air. Marvin did not pause to ask, Wrenmae caught him just as his barriers began to weaken, when the depth of his actions were starting to dawn on him. Another emotional surge of rage, the recollection of how she winked, smiled, laughed behind his back…always secret smirks and longing eyes for Jeremiah…and he let the wizard’s own mind imagine the rest. With a strangled yell, he grabbed her by the throat, pressing her up against the wall. She barely fought him, already contending with Zan blocking her airway.

Thrashing, she was blue and black when the Waveguards finally burst through the doorway to pull him off. Marvin was sobbing, screaming incoherently and sobbing. Shroud had retired to the side of the home, joining a growing crowd as Alana’s body twitched her last. Perhaps only Marvin noticed the water pour from her mouth, but the Waveguard was pulling him away from her body too swiftly for him to speak.

No one paid much attention to a puddle, and although it took nearly a bell to clean up the mess, Zan held his position.

Marvin was dragged away in chains, his wife’s body taken quietly as well. University students filled the streets, curious as to the commotion. Onlookers spread rumors and Shroud let it all happen. There was nothing more for him to do here…he’d accomplished his end.

It felt good.

Clutching the box under one arm he shrank back into the crowd, picking Zan up off the floor as the familiar slithered around feet to reach his master. Both walked back toward the university, but only one was in high spirits.

The bottle was pitch black in Shroud’s grasp.

But the hypnotist never bothered to notice.

Sig by Shausha

Wrenmae
Taleweaver

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Hypnotist's Delight

Postby Balderdash on February 18th, 2013, 2:43 am

Delicious rewards! Happy days and jubilation!

Skill XP Awarded
Intelligence 2
Persuasion 4
Familiary 3
Subterfuge 3
Intimidation 1
Negotiation 1

Lores: How To Mix A Delicious Murder Cocktail, Professor Marvin: Authority On Magecraft, Professor Alana: Archeologist, Marvin’s Green Monster, Using Panties For Evil, Deserting A Department, Jeremiah: A Necessary Casualty, Motivating A Man To Murder, Hushing A Familiar, Professor Alana: Now Deceased, Enjoying Murder, Never Again

Items and Consequences: One bruise on the left cheek, which will heal over the course of two weeks. Attempts to commit murder again without very good justification for the next 10 days will result in Zan attacking Wrenmae.

Inside the box are two simple, unmarked gold rings. Whilst apparently unassuming, one always has a vague sense of which direction a ring's fellow is when wearing it, and the rings' temperatures fluctuate depending on the distance between each other. The hotter they are, the closer they are. They will never reach scalding temperatures, however. They are effective within two miles of each other.

My Gods... That was... Dark. Very, very dark. I loved it. :D

If you have any questions or concerns about this grade, please PM me. A happy you is a happy Balderdash!

Balderdash
Not Entirely Rubbish

Words: 201561
Joined roleplay: September 25th, 2012, 5:40 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 1
Trailblazer (1)