Traveling Prices for Boats

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Postby Griffith on June 8th, 2010, 8:02 pm

Is there somewhere that traveling distance for a boat is mentioned with regards to price, if the boat were meant for ferrying people from one place to another? More specifically, anyone know how much it would cost to take a ferry from Riverfall to Zeltiva? It's supposed to be 16 days of travel via boat, if that helps.
“No matter under what circumstances you leave it, home does not cease to be home. No matter how you lived there - well or poorly.”
Griffith
of the Tents of Malkyn, of the sons of Benha

Words: 49339
Joined roleplay: April 21st, 2010, 7:27 am
Race: Human, Benshira
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Peer Reviewer (1)

Postby Liminal on June 8th, 2010, 9:18 pm

That's a good question.

First off, there's no way it's 16 days via boat to Riverfall from Zeltiva. I know the chart you're looking at; it just hasn't been corrected to reflect proper trip time.

According to the Distance Chart, Zeltiva is 2,750 miles from Riverfall straight as the crow flies. By sea, it's easily three times that, so 8,250 miles, more or less. The best boating technology available in Mizahar is at about the level of a Columbus-era triple-mast caravel, which can't go any faster than 100 miles a day. Even given a favorable breeze, you're looking at about 80 days' worth of travel.

As for fares, there aren't any passenger routes in Mizahar, except maybe from Nyka to Mura, or Sahova to Sunberth. The only people making boats that can travel extended distances are the Zeltivans, and the only other people IC who have any are the Suvan pirates, who probably aren't doing passenger runs. The Zeltivans run purely cargo/trading routes.

Which isn't to say that they won't sell a berth or two to an intrepid traveler. Since they're making their money elsewhere, a berth would be a pittance -- maybe ten mizas. It'd be bring-your-own provisions, but a run to Riverfall would probably stop at Yahebah, Ahnatep, and Abura at the very least, so you'd have plenty of chances to re-load. It's slow, but it's probably the safest way to travel in Mizahar if you're going anywhere other than the roads that the Syliran Knights patrol. (You've reminded me that I need to finish the map of trade routes.)

Hope that helps!
Liminal
Atelerix albiventris

Words: 256313
Joined roleplay: March 24th, 2009, 7:09 am
Blog: View Blog (3)
Race: Staff account
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Dusk on June 9th, 2010, 12:20 am

Yeah, I'm actually finishing up the Distance Chart and Travel Times as we speak (or type, or whatever) so that'll be fixed - but that's good info to have on how boat travel is handled, Sam. Also, yes to trade routes map!
PLEASE NOTE: Finals are over, but summer is eating my soul. As such, as of the end of June I will not be accepting any new quests/modded threads until I finish some of the ones I've already started/agreed to. My apologies for this, but I don't want to be unfair to those who have been waiting for replies!

Dusk's Office - Information on Syliras - Help Desk
Dusk
DS: Syliras and Wildlands

Words: 341560
Joined roleplay: April 6th, 2010, 5:33 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 7
Featured Contributor (1) Trailblazer (1)
Donor (1) Power Fork (2)
Trash Medal (1) Thunderspork (1)