Flashback Small Unit Tactics

Leadership training pt. 1

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A village cut off from the rest of Mizahar by the Valterrian, slowly reestablishing contact with the outside world.

Small Unit Tactics

Postby Eosi on February 13th, 2013, 9:44 pm

The Academy
Summer, 505 AV

The classroom had never been a setting she enjoyed. The Inarta was full of fire, eager to try each lesson with her own two hands. More scholarly pursuits had always left her restless, knowledge gained and just as easily lost. This however, was different. This was the culmination of all she’d already learned. She was taking the lessons of combat and applying them in leadership. How did one organize small unit tactics? That question alone had Eosi upright in her seat, hands laced together upon the table. Other students clamored around her, just as eager as she for the lesson to begin.

Delano Marx strolled into sight, the Academy Lieutenant. Eosi was of age to participate in the more advanced classes Denval had to offer. It had never been a question in her mind. Many agonized over the day they turned thirteen and quit school for good, but not the little redheaded girl. She dreamt of self-denial. She dreamt of war. Eosi was a very odd child indeed. At the sight of their teacher, the whispering died out. All turned their attentions toward the stern mentor. In that moment he knew he had them and with a single sweeping hand, launched into his speech.

”Welcome, children.” They all bowed their heads. ”Welcome, Master Marx.” This was the normal, ritual greeting. He didn’t miss a single beat. ”Today we will be learning of leadership. What it means to be a leader. First, let me ask you – does a fierce warrior make a fierce leader?” The class was not used to being asked questions they did not know. Many turned and looked at one another. A few tentative hands raised through the air. He pointed to one near the back, an older boy.

”Yes.” He seemed uncertain, however. Marx just chuckled. ”Why do you say yes?” The teacher inquired. That was tough. Even Eosi puzzled over the reply. ”Because a leader must be strong, like a warrior.” That seemed simple enough. But the instructor did not look satisfied. He pursed his lips in thought. ”Your logic is sound, however that is not quite what I meant. You’re right in saying that a leader must be strong. But not all warriors make good leaders.” Delano began to pace, as he always did while lecturing.

”Take notes.” That went without saying. Shuffling resonated through the classroom as each student rifled through their things, producing paper and ink. Eosi had hers out before the rest. This was already beginning to challenge her preconceptions and the feeling took her breath away. ”The definition of a leader is someone who combines skill and influence, utilizing a team to accomplish a particular task.” Marx looked from face to face, as if lost in a search. Was it so obvious that it manifested in appearance?

”Leaders need certain traits, one of which is strength. This might be strength of character, strength of self, or even strength of will. There are many forms of strength in this world. All it takes is one of substance, one to harness into skill.” This was far more abstract than what they were used to. ”Another trait is something called emotional intelligence. This goes along with the aspect of influence. The art of leading any team lies in making your followers desire to follow you. You reward them with your time and consideration and in doing so, reinforce their morale.” Her pen danced furiously across the sheet. It was difficult to retain every detail as he spoke, but she tried nonetheless. The whole class was filled with the music of scribbling.

”I will simplify this all for you. Strength leads to skill. Each and every one of you has a talent, and no two are the same. But skill of any kind, so long as it’s related to the task at hand, is relevant. Do not think all leaders must learn the same skills. They’re all relative to what you wish to accomplish. The universal standard lives in the idea that these skills must be mastered, whatever they are.” Still, the students were a bit lost.

”Take a man who wishes to bake the world’s greatest bread. This is a form of leadership. In order to lead a team of bakers, could he manage to do so as a novice? How would he know to guide those he supervised? In order to be a leader of warriors, you must be a great warrior. This is true. But you also must be something more. This is what we’ll discuss today. ”

The idea was beginning to take shape. Her lips twitched up into a smile. You had to have the skill to oversee a particular project, but also the charisma to influence those working on it. It made sense.

”Like many of you are realizing, you cannot do everything alone. A fierce sense of independence is valuable, but synergy accomplishes tasks far more effectively. Sometimes delegation is necessary to support the greater whole.” Marx gestured to himself. ”Take me for example. You have recently acquired me as an instructor. This is because it is unrealistic for me to run the entire academy alone. Instead I delegate to other, more specialized educators. They’re far more effective at teaching younger students than I. Therefore it leaves me time to see the larger scheme while the micro management is handled.”

This was self-evident. He was far more complex than the other teachers she’d had previously. The man dealt in theory, something Eosi was unfamiliar with. She could follow it… But how to put it into practice? How did this apply on the battlefield? ”I know some of you may be wondering: What is the practical application of this?” Well, he certainly plucked the thought from her mind. Marx wore a mysterious smile. ”As a leader in combat, you fight alongside those below you in rank. You earn their trust. You make them want to fight for you – not because you vacillate, not because you fawn over their abilities or manipulate them. A great leader is trusted for their skill and admired for their strength.”

”In the heat of combat today, you will learn small unit tactics. Each of you will take turns throughout this week being leader of small groups, pitted against one another. The leader of each winning unit will then fight against the others.” That was right up her alley. She could see the other students squirming in their seats, warriors down to the marrow. They all jostled for a chance to prove themselves.
Eosi
Act first. Teach them to fear you.

Words: 244471
Joined roleplay: November 20th, 2012, 7:42 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Small Unit Tactics

Postby Eosi on February 13th, 2013, 10:43 pm

It was her turn next. She could feel the blood rushing to her ears. The image of Delano’s lecture inked into her notes sprang to mind. Eosi’s learning could be very visual – a compliment to her being almost wholly tactile in every other way. ”There are three phases to combat,” he’d said. The words sat in front of her:

Assault

In the assault phase, the unit chooses to press forward. The leader’s role is to break their group effectively in half. One half presses forward while the other provides distraction and fire support with ranged weapons. When ground is effectively gained, the other half then advances. This game of leapfrog is incredibly difficult to manage on the fly. The leader may be expected to find creative solutions in order to keep their units from falling apart.

Interim

This is the aspect of combat where the battlefield falls still. The leader deals with any and all problems head on. Wounded members are treated and removed from battle. Tasks are delegated as necessary and field position is consolidated for the time being. This is where morale is most affected, for better for worse.

Defensive

Assaulting units may put others on the Defensive. When this happens, they tend to utilize flanking techniques, traps, deception or other such tactics to put themselves in a stronger position on the field. A common strategy is to booby trap an area and lure the assaulting enemy inward. This can level a match rather quickly if executed. The leader’s role is to accomplish the tactic without their ranks being broken.

Overall Objective

As a member of any team, you will be expected to fight to your fullest ability. A great leader must also know how to follow. Students not leading will still be expected to fight to their fullest extent. There will be four winning leaders at the end. This is not a game of politics, nor of charisma. This is war. All of you would do well to remember that.

She nodded silently, reviewing what she had to do. It was good that it wasn’t a test of charisma. Of all the social graces, Eosi possessed none. That did not mean she wasn’t respected. Being the class’ quietest student earned her a reputation for staying out of the way. Her prowess in the sparring ring earned her a reputation for power. All in all, a good combination. It was now time to see if she could put it to use. The two other female leaders had gone one after the other, and both had failed miserably. Neither had the natural aggression necessary to make any headway against the males. Both were better in support roles and they knew it.

She could only hope they lumped her in the same category. Eosi was proficient with the short bow and the hand axe, but neither were particularly fearsome on their own. It was her natural strength and discipline that made her even remotely formidable. They would underestimate her, which was exactly how she wanted it. She was facing off with Mikhail, the class’s resident polearm. He was a very aggressive fighter and that would read in his tactics. Eosi's odds weren't so hot.

The problem was that her group was not exactly the strongest. Each group had eight members, including the leader. All seven of her fighters were mostly support based, with the exception of Onyx. He was the class tank, standing at over six feet tall at the tender age of fifteen. The boy was truly a sight to behold. Yet he alone would not give her the edge that she needed. There were three boys, four girls and all of them fought primarily from afar. Onyx, Eosi and another girl named Celine were the only melee fighters on the team. It was not looking to be a very even match.

She’d noticed something, however. All of the leaders before her had refused to put themselves in harm’s way. Marx said that a good leader fought alongside their men. The two girls had their groups fall apart on the first encounter. Eosi would not let that happen, even if she had to lead the front line all on her own. She was determined to make the most of the cards she’d been handed. They’d all make it work, together.

They lined up before her. It felt sort of like the little games children played together in childhood, where the captains would pick teams. Only hers had already been chosen. Their faces were bleak. It didn't look good, given Mikhail had far more fighters suited for the front line. Eosi frowned at the stacked deck. ”Don’t look like that.” She wasn’t really fond of cheesy speeches. But she wasn’t going to let them stare at their feet, either. ”I know this seems too much for us, but we can handle it.” Onyx smiled a bit, but Celine was still set on the dirt.

”How’re we supposed to do anything to them?” One girl whined. ”We can’t touch Mikhail and his cronies are faster and stronger than us.” Eosi nodded. She wasn’t about to lie to anyone. ”Don’t you worry about Mikhail. If I get the chance, I’m putting an arrowhead straight up his ass.” Collective chuckling. ”Okay, but what about the rest of us?” One of the javelin throwers shuffled his boots. ”We’re good for supporting fire, but head-on we’re no match. There is no guarantee your people will get to the action first – and then what? Even if you do, there are only three of you. He has five melee fighters.”

That was also true. ”You’re right Clement. But if we find a way to catch them off-guard… Some way to flank them, they’ll be helpless. We just have to find a way of doing that and not falling apart.” So they’d identified the problem. Her Father had walked Eosi through basic logistics. The group began murmuring, their spirits lifted. The formulation of a plan had them slightly more hopeful than before. ”Well,” a quiet voice emerged. ”We could ambush them. It isn’t against the rules to pretend to retreat. If we trick them into thinking we’re running away, they’ll chase us right?” The smallest member of the group spoke up now.

Eosi nodded slowly. ”Yeah, but how do we pretend to retreat?” You retreated by throwing down the white flag and waving your hand. That was only if you felt threatened. No one would buy that Eosi fled from the start. Not unless they acted truly dejected. It was reasonable to suggest she might see the odds and think better of it, but all Denvali were notorious for their rigid sense of honor. They’d have to really play it up.

”Well, what if we threw a cloth of the wrong color? Do you think those blockheads would charge anyway?” Celine seemed more engaged. ”I’m not sure,” the Inarta puzzled. ”But it’s worth a shot. If it doesn’t work then we’ll regroup and think of something else. Now why are we retreating again?”

Pretending to re –“ Onyx corrected. ”Yes, yes I got it. Pretending. Why?” The little girl known as Summer, continued to explain. ”Well if they follow and our supporting fighters run first, we can get up in a tree. If they run past the tree and you three turn, we can encircle them and they’ll be trapped between us!” Now that was a plan. If the enemy bit, they’d be bested on the first pass.

”Okay. I like it. Now how do we make the retreat convincing and what do we do if it fails?”

Onxy cracked his knuckles. ”I don’t think I’d be very happy about that. Do you?” He grinned at those standing around him. His wicked expression was contagious, so much so that even Eosi smiled. ”A brawl, huh? Sounds fun. I guess it’d be a good way to make them pay for it.” To that, all could agree. ”As for retreating, we can act like one of us got hurt. They’ll be firing a bunch of arrows from the get-go, so one of us should act like they’ve been hit.”

She knew it was too perfect. ”…Me. I’ll act all gung-ho and run ahead. The minute an arrow gets close I’ll act like it hit me in the foot or something. They’re just wood tipped so it’ll be sort of whimpy… Still, they’ll think I’m retreating because they’ve taken me out. Some people seem to think once the leader is done, so is the team.”

”But isn’t it?” Celine frowned. ”Nope,” Eosi replied with a smile. ”It’s only over when you decide it is. No one else.” In that moment, the atmosphere changed. They all nodded amongst themselves, heartened. Even if they lost, they’d feel good about it. They’d feel like they tried and more importantly, that they did it as a team. Eosi never knew how good it felt to be a part of something before. If being a leader meant being amenable, it wasn’t too hard. But then again, she knew these kids. They were all of a like mind.

They would just have to see…
Eosi

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Small Unit Tactics

Postby Eosi on February 14th, 2013, 2:02 am

The stage was set. The groups hiked out to a grassy area, perfectly suited for their plan of action. They’d abandoned the idea of actually tossing the flag of retreat. It struck most of them as dishonorable and though not technically against the rules, grounds for disqualification. So long as they broke rank and fled, the enemy would have cause to pursue them. Hopefully. These thoughts buzzed around Eosi’s head as she strode to the center, where her rival stood. Mikhail’s blonde hair was slicked back, just a few paltry strands fluttering in the breeze. He fixed her with his best impassive stare as they reached out to shake hands.

The two said nothing, which struck her as odd. She’d expected more trash talk from a team so intent on victory. But it made for a better show. ”Good luck, Barlowe.” He called back as they moved to return. In his eyes stood some alien expression, one she didn’t recognize. It was pity almost… Maybe something less condescending. Eosi didn’t have time for analysis as she got into position. ”You too,” she replied. It wouldn’t be sporting to not say the same.

They were all anxious. It played well into the overall scheme. Even she was nervous. It was an audacious plan, after all. Cleverness had its place, but only when executed properly. They’d all look like grand fools in the event of failure, but that was not something she would think about. A little gale passed over the meadow in which they stood. With a deep, meditative breath she cleared her mind. Those around her eyed the field speculatively. Eosi cast one reassuring smile at her teammates before the horn blew, and the madness ensued.

The opposing team began their advance at once. Onyx and Celine hung back on either side as their fearless leader dashed into the fray. A volley of wooden arrows rained around them. Sound roared in her ears. Her whole face burned and her vision narrowed. Mikhail seemed confident to do much the same. He expected all out assault from either side. Most like, he was attributing her behavior to a contrary view of the other female leaders. It would make sense that Eosi had something to prove, and really she did. Just not how he thought.

An arrow whistled in and struck her right in the arm. Luckily it was her left and not her right – the rules dictated that body parts struck were considered incapacitated. The ranged line began to take steps back, preparing to break rank. All was happening as planned. That was until Mikhail stepped in for the killing blow.

She had no choice. Floundering like a madwoman she staggered back, falling right on her rear. The back of the team was in a dead run from what she saw and she clawed to her feet to follow, still some yards back. The tree was just out of sight over the hill and she knew they’d reach it in time. Still, it was humiliating. The derisive laughter of her opponents rang in her ears.

”Take the advantage!” Mikhail cried. ”Cut off the retreat!” His arrogance would be his undoing. There was nothing but the dull thud of arrows echoing off Onyx’s wooden shield and the cadence of her ragged breath. Run, run, run until she was nearly winded. Up the hill and to the tree. Her group was hidden neatly out of sight. Would they suspect?

They did. Well, the leader did anyway. ”Wait!” He called helplessly, unable to reach the already charging front. ”It’s a trap!”

But by the time they skidded to a halt, so did Eosi. ”Now!” She cried. A full volley fell between her and the rest, a hail of fury falling from the sky. Eosi drew her hand axe, unable to draw her bow. She stepped in and kicked the nearest opponent full in the face, cartilage crunching beneath her heel. He howled in pain, staggering back. Seeing the opportunity, she smacked him in the temple with the flat of her wooden blade. The attacker fell to his knees.

When she had a chance, she was amazed at the scene. They’d been completely stunned by the maneuver. Arrows had picked off the back while the rest were engaged with Onyx and Celine. The big lug was knocking people out with his wooden longsword. Celine on the other hand was dodging and weaving with her Sai, picking weapons out of her opponent’s hands. It was going rather smoothly.

”Eosi!” A small voice cried out from the tree. Her eyes shot up to see Summer, dancing frantically out of the way of Mikhail’s staff. What a bully! He couldn’t win so he honed in on the weakest target. Enraged, she ran to meet him. He turned to see her approach but couldn’t level his weapon in time. Dropping her axe she reared back and punched him right in the face.

A spray of bright red blood spat from his nose. He fell back, clutching the injury. Tears sprang to his eyes. ”You’re nothing but a coward!” She cried in rebuke. ”Pick on someone your own size.”

The battle was mopping itself up. In the melee, those who had seen the end decided to retreat for real. Her team had already began leaving the safety of their leafy bower, brushing errant foliage from their cloaks. ”We won!” Celine cried and threw her arms around the stunned Inarta. So was this friendship, then? Her cheeks bloomed. ”We did,” she stammered, awkwardly returning the embrace. Onyx clapped her firmly on the shoulder while the others decided to cluster about them, chattering congratulations.

Delano Marx strode up the lot of them. ”Very clever, Barlowe.” He gave a face-splitting grin. ”A cunning display. I hope you keep it up.” She smiled meekly in return. ”I hope so too.” The group laughed. ”Beers for everyone!” Onyx cried in a jocular fashion. They were a bit young for all of that. But it was still class time, and they all shuffled off to the side to watch the upcoming fights.

”Thank you,” Summer breathed airily, beaming. She was barely five feet tall with cornsilk hair and verdant eyes. Eosi smiled. ”It was nothing. I couldn’t let him pick on you like that.” The petite little thing simply laughed. ”It’s okay. I’m used to it. I promise though, if you ever get picked on… I’ll return the favor one day.” What a silly notion. Feeling incredibly good-natured, she simply nodded in return. Perhaps one day Summer would. It was after all, Eosi’s first season in life where she felt truly alive.
Eosi

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Small Unit Tactics

Postby Whimsy on March 6th, 2013, 10:02 am

Eosi

Experience Lore
+3 Tactics A 'Leader': Defined
+4 Leadership The Traits of a Leader
+1 Running Leadership is More Than Strength
+2 Brawling The Assault Phase of Small Unit Combat
+1 Weapon: Hand Axe The Interim Phase of Small Unit Combat
The Defensive Phase of Small Unit Combat
Eosi's Leadership Qualities
Pep Talks for Morale
Feinted Ambush
First Friendship

Comments
A lovely training thread with some character development thrown in. I'm looking forward to seeing if Summer crops up in any further Denval threads! Young Eosi and her classmates are lovely. PM me if you have any questions or concerns.

"Love itself is what is left over when being in love has burned away."
Louis de Bernières

[ Floating AS of Kalea ]
Whimsy
made of tiny stories

Words: 121180
Joined roleplay: December 10th, 2012, 1:04 am
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook